Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Pauls Bass sound on Beatle records  (Read 1676 times)

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
Pauls Bass sound on Beatle records
« on: December 12, 2018, 12:30:21 AM »

I must admit its something thats always puzzled me a fair bit.
Paul always recorded his Bass parts with no sustain, (in other words when he plays a note its very short, not a long lasting note)

I used to think its was inherent in the Hofner Bass he played, that it didnt sustain a note very long, but when he played a Fender or Rickenbacker Bass he did the same. So it was a Bass sound he liked obviously.

Indeed nowhere is it more pronounced than on Yer Blues where he plays his newly acquired Fender Jazz Bass, now I've had a few Fender Basses and I know they are good for sustaining notes but Paul plays very short 'plucky' notes on that song as he always did on his Hofner.
Similarly when he played the Rick on Hello Goodbye, its very plucky.

If you listen to Keith Richards playing a Fender Bass on Yer Blues (Rolling Stones Rock n Roll Circus) his notes are sustained (which I sort of prefer).

Interestingly when John was recording Double Fantasy he employed renowned Bass player Tony Levin, I remember hearing John say to him when he played  "ahhhhh...we never had that great Bass sound in the Beatles"............I wonder if John liked the sustain Tony played with ?

The only 2 songs I can think off of the top of my head where Paul used sustain were Come Together and Rain. (there's probably more)
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
Re: Pauls Bass sound on Beatle records
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 06:17:03 AM »

That’s an interesting observation. Not one I’d noticed.  I’ll keep my ears out next time I’m listening. Having once owned a Rick 2001 I can also vouch for its ability to sustain nicely. So maybe it was just his playing style.

Casbah

• A Beginning
Re: Pauls Bass sound on Beatle records
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2019, 10:20:41 AM »

Hmmm.... I find this interesting considering I think Sgt. Pepper is one of the best bass albums of all time, definitely in the top 5 of pop rock.  And the credit to that goes to McCartney, who went back and overdubbed all his bass lines after the songs were bass-ically completed.  roll:) ;D But seriously, songs like Day In The Life, WALHelpFMF are a good combination of staccato and legato playing, but I get your point, Macca def played short staccato notes in the beginning of his Beatles career which I also attributed to his shorter scale Hofner with flatwound strings...so, totally agree there.

But what I found baffling is Johns comment. As much as I love Tony Levin's playing (even met the guy once, nice guy!) I don't remember anything remarkable coming from the Double Fantasy album unless he's talking about "Starting Over"?  ??? ??? It DOES have a fuller sound than even anything else on the DF album.
I'd be interested to know what he meant... Oh well.
"Someone told me a few minutes ago they saw John walking on the street once wearing a button saying "I Love Paul." And this girl said she asked him, "Why are you wearing a button that says ' I Love Paul'? He said "Because I love Paul."

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 39 queries.