Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Song Of The Week - Blue Jay Way  (Read 4554 times)

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
Re: Song Of The Week - Blue Jay Way
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2019, 01:02:50 AM »

George often laced his compositions with that intriguingly saturnine quality, but would counterbalance this with hypnotic melody and polished musicianship. "Don't Bother Me" or "Only A Northern Song" hold for me a dark but undeniable magnetism, for example.

Unfortunately, for me those redeeming qualities which usually made his more sombre work palatable have gone completely AWOL on "Blue Jay Way".

Lost their way in the fog, perhaps - leaving us with a repetitive, droning, zombie-like uphill plod. Normandie labelled it a dirge and I have to agree. It really is jet lag set to music and by comparison makes "I'm So Tired" sound like "Any Time At All".

I generally give it a wide berth. Skipping is quite unthinkable for all but the bottom ten or so Beatles tracks, but that is where this, I'm afraid, firmly resides.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2019, 01:47:09 AM »

I enjoyed that Baz, Im beginning to quite like the song  ;D
Who needs the Beatles ?  ha2ha

I knew you would, mate.  Maybe these fellows will get you to like Mr. Moonlight...

https://youtu.be/DRJAhxHHjC0

icon_good
I can stay till it's time to go

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2019, 03:20:59 AM »

George often laced his compositions with that intriguingly saturnine quality, but would counterbalance this with hypnotic melody and polished musicianship. "Don't Bother Me" or "Only A Northern Song" hold for me a dark but undeniable magnetism, for example.

Unfortunately, for me those redeeming qualities which usually made his more sombre work palatable have gone completely AWOL on "Blue Jay Way".

Lost their way in the fog, perhaps - leaving us with a repetitive, droning, zombie-like uphill plod. Normandie labelled it a dirge and I have to agree. It really is jet lag set to music and by comparison makes "I'm So Tired" sound like "Any Time At All".

I generally give it a wide berth. Skipping is quite unthinkable for all but the bottom ten or so Beatles tracks, but that is where this, I'm afraid, firmly resides.

Well, the first time I heard Blue Jay Way was on my KLH Model Twenty-One...

Fantastic sound for a small desktop FM radio!  I still have it today.  I was quite taken with the throbbing organ drone, bass line and cello which that radio accentuated.  Unlike you, I repeat the song at least three times when I listen to Magical Mystery Tour.

The Blue Jay Way segment in the film is a lot of fun too...

Bravo, George!    icon_good

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2019, 03:21:47 AM »

Don't be long or is it Don't belong?   ;)

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2019, 08:01:18 AM »

A very good summary Mr M.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2019, 10:58:25 PM »

Judging from several responses here where reasons for not liking the song were given, I feel that George succeeded remarkably in his songwriting capabilities.  Like an artist who uses a palette of paints to capture a mood on canvas, George used a palette of sounds and words to capture his mood on tape.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2019, 11:30:56 PM »

Well said.  I cant stand the song.  I never listen to it so when I do hear it, I always give it a chance and always nix it within a minute or so.
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.329 seconds with 52 queries.