Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Theological/psychological thing  (Read 814 times)

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
Theological/psychological thing
« on: April 24, 2005, 01:31:48 AM »

This Thursday my friend and I were debating over this: he thinks that humans are born evil and will be evil no matter what, and I think that we learn to be evil through society.

My theory is that if you raise someone in a completely isolated environment, such as a laboratory or something, they will grow up to be be a truly good person.
His theory is that no matter how they are raised, humans will sin and be evil.

What are your theories?

(Just to clarify: by evil I mean it in the way that we are all evil, not evil like Hitler)
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

sexy sadie

• Getting Better
  • once there was a way to get back home...
Re: Theological/psychological thing
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2005, 01:45:51 AM »

i agree with you, mairi. i think it's society & perhaps media that forms people to be the way they are. for example, if someone was left alone without anyone to interact with, they wouldn't have to experience feelings such as jealousy, because there would be no one to compare things with. also, if traits like short temper come through being around other people, that person wouldn't have that kind of knowledge to be able to add it into their personality. i hope that makes sense haha
Ashley*

one sweet dream, pick up the bags and get in the limousine. soon we'll be away from here. step on the gas and wipe that tear away. one sweet dream came true today...

[img]http://img122.exs.cx/img122/8264/jsj21oc.jpg[/img

lennonlemon

• A Thousand Pages
  • I Believe in Beatles
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2005, 02:16:16 AM »

interesting idea, but i'm pretty sure you're not the only person who's ever thought of it. in many ways, it does make sense. many evils we commit are related with other people, society, and the environment.

as for your friend's idea. i just don't see how a person is born evil without any exposure and knowledge of evil and people. it's always the ignorant ones that just follow the pack and try to make everyone else happy.
All You Need is Love  :K) :K) :K)

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2005, 02:19:57 AM »

His idea was that we are born with a sort of "evil seed" that gives us the potential to be evil, but it doesn't show up until later in life.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

joan was quizzical

• Getting Better
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2005, 05:00:44 PM »

Well there have been cases where children have grown up completely alienated from "civilization." I think the boy was named Victor who was found in the woods, and had grown up completely in the "wild" and learned to run on all fours and never learned language. With these cases, evilness or goodness don't seem to fit in. The concepts are meaningless outside of culture.

I would take your theory further and say that not only is "evil" learned in society, but the very idea of evil and good are products of society. Just like right and wrong, or beautiful and ugly.

~ missy

Herecomesyoursun

• A Thousand Pages
  • Shake your tired eyes the world is waiting for you
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2005, 05:21:08 PM »

definately born evil.  if you look in the animal world, its survival of the fittest.  we'd backstab and take advantage of regardless of our environment

[face=Arial]            Give me love, give me peace on Earth...[/face]

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2005, 05:22:36 PM »

I think some people are born evil.

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 54 queries.