Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: The Shadows  (Read 3779 times)

Tyzos

• One And One Is Two
The Shadows
« on: January 05, 2009, 07:37:26 PM »

Hi there,

The Shadows were founded in 1958 to back superstar Cliff Richard, but they became important in their own right.
Their first smash hit was Apache in 1960 which is considered as one of the most important tracks of all time. After that they had a string of hitrecords, which included Man of Mystery, FBI, Wonderful Land and Atlantis.
The Shadows were the first group in Britain with a set of Stratocaster Fender guitars. The first bassplayer, Jet Harris, was probably the first one in Britain who owned a electric bassguitar. Paul McCartney once said to him that he was the reason why he wanted to play bass guitar.
Hank Marvin (Shadows' lead guitarist) is often cited as a major influence on a lot of guitarists like Clapton, Knopfler, Paige, Townsend and also Harrison.

What do think of Britain's first rockgroup The Shadows and what is their importance in the history of rockmusic?

Bobber

Re: The Shadows
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 07:48:09 PM »

Welcome back. I noticed you posted about Cliff and the Shadows over four years ago here: http://www.dmbeatles.com/forums/m-1096201694/

Tyzos

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 07:51:38 PM »

Quote from: 63
Welcome back. I noticed you posted about Cliff and the Shadows over four years ago here: http://www.dmbeatles.com/forums/m-1096201694/

Hi, thanks. You're right. I forgot about that. :)

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 01:58:46 AM »

i think the drifters were more responsible for it than the shadows...
oOnlG2DtySA

http://www.saber.net/~orb/ch3.htm  ;)
yeah they became a deciding factor for many young up and comings but it had to be something more to it than that in the conscieness of these youths that were striving to be known as individuals...sort of like a self realization movement by a mass of people...like the hippy movement here in america...not by a certain group that acts or dresses the same or even a certain age group but by an idealoolgy...it may have happened regardless of the drifters...i mean shadows....http://iansamwell.com/
this is singular...The Shadows were not a typical backing group. They would become contractually separate from Richard, and the group received no royalties for records backing Richard.their story should be better know i agree but steps to the building aren't always most important...

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 02:01:17 AM »

borrowed from wiki.....
1950s
Formed as a backing band for Cliff Richard, they took the name The Drifters until finding out there was an American band with that name. The members were founder Ken Pavey (born 1932), Terry Smart on drums (born 1942), Norman Mitham on guitar (born 1941), Ian Samwell on guitar and Harry Webb (before he became Cliff Richard) on guitar and vocals. The original Drifters had no bass player. Samwell wrote the group's first hit, "Move It" which is often mistakenly attributed to "Cliff Richard and The Shadows". None of the original Drifters were in the group when they became The Shadows.

The name was changed to Cliff Richard and The Shadows shortly after first manager Johnny Foster discovered the group, and they were signed for Jack Good's Oh Boy! television series. Producer Norrie Paramor of EMI signed Richard, and asked Johnny Foster to recruit a better guitarist. Foster went back to Soho's 2i's coffee bar (famed for musical talent performing there, particularly in skiffle) in search of guitarist Tony Sheridan. Sheridan was not there but Foster's attention was caught by another musician, who was tall, good looking, played guitar well and had Buddy Holly glasses.

Hank Marvin was playing in a skiffle band with Bruce Welch. The pair had travelled from Newcastle and were surviving on little money. Foster offered Marvin the job and he accepted on condition that Welch would also join. New manager Franklin Boyd could see the pair worked well and they were employed as lead and rhythm guitarists. Ian Samwell was moved to bass until he was replaced by the Most Brothers's bass guitarist, Jet Harris. Drummer Terry Smart left shortly afterwards and was replaced at Harris's suggestion by Tony Meehan. The Drifters' professional lineup was now complete, and they became The Shadows in early 1959. Johnny Foster continued for a time as Richard 's manager, and Samwell wrote additional songs for The Drifters and The Shadows before writing and producing for others. Meehan recalled that Richard, backed by Marvin, Welch, Harris and himself had played together a year beforehand at least once at the 2is.

The group started recording and performing with Richard and released two singles in their own right in 1959. ("Feelin' Fine"/"Don't Be A Fool With Love") and ("Jet Black"/"Driftin'"), The first two tracks were vocals and the second pair instrumental. Neither charted. A further (vocal) ("Saturday Dance"/"Lonesome Fella") also failed. The instrumental "Chinchilla" was included on a four-track soundtrack EP by Cliff Richard and the Drifters called Serious Charge released in early 1959 with the film of the same name.

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 03:57:22 AM »

Jimmy first picked up the guitar because of the Shadows...random useless fact.  :P

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 05:15:36 AM »

Bobber

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 08:04:03 AM »

So Tony Sheridan could have been in The Shadows?

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2009, 09:24:52 AM »

Although I'm not really into instrumental music, I like their early 60s material... But most of their later stuff sounds like elevator music to me.

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2009, 03:09:11 PM »

IN the 80's onwards they were considered largely uncool...I blame Cliff for that though. lol

Great sounds and very influential on the early UK band scene for sure. Apache is a hugely influential record. I couldn't tell you much else about them....Did I say that Jet Harris lives merely  a few miles away from me? heheh
I'm gonna have to hunt him & Dick Taylor down to get some gossip. lol
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

Tyzos

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2009, 06:59:27 PM »

When the first drummer Tony Meehan left The Shads end 1961 and Jet Harris a few months later, it was a great loss for the sound of The Shadows in my opinion.
I still consider them as better musicians than Brian Bennett and Brian Licorice Locking/John Rostill. Harris and Meehan always played with a rough edge. Meehan was a kind of aggressive drummer and Harris had a direct-style of playing bassguitar.
In 1962 Harris and Meehan went 'solo together' and had for example their no 1 hit Diamonds, which was a composition of Jerry Lordan, who also wrote Apache, Wonderful land and Atlantis for The Shadows.

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2009, 12:25:21 AM »

Quote from: 63
So Tony Sheridan could have been in The Shadows?
tony could have been in any band he wanted!!!! :P

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2009, 12:34:08 AM »

i think they were betterwith tony and jet too...they lost thier edge when they lost those two...the ventures were a similar group here in america...they did telstar b4 the shadows...i think cliff added to thier sound too,if they could have dumped him and recruited eric burdon..that would have been a group....i know cliff was suppose to be like the english elvis but to me he was like ricky nelson,a boy toy...too pretty to be a serious composer...i didn't think much of elvis either.....but that's just me...the shdows were for definite a very polished band for the era...rory storme was probally influenced strongly by them...we'd have to ask faron or ringo about that tho...they are a professional group of individuals...unlike the beatles who just hit it lucky. ;D ;)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2019, 05:19:54 AM »

I can stay till it's time to go

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2020, 11:36:29 PM »

Apache

https://youtu.be/NoN6AKPGkBo
The Shadows   1969

https://youtu.be/6hXcKy90iKM
The Crickettes   2014

icon_good icon_good icon_good

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2020, 11:40:09 PM »

Ghost Riders In The Sky

https://youtu.be/WdfGQwEN-rs
The Shadows   1980

https://youtu.be/0X_qH0L1RU8
The Crickettes   2013

icon_good icon_good icon_good

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2020, 04:41:14 AM »

Apache

https://youtu.be/PbYXqPIqHsE
The Cliff Richard Show   16 March 1961

ha2ha

Page created in 0.533 seconds with 76 queries.