Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Who is the better drummer?  (Read 9348 times)

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
Re: Who is the better drummer?
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2009, 04:55:16 AM »

Quote from: 1643
Mr aboriel is a good drummer but very bad for McCartney's songs

Sorry, I dont agree with you. Do you realize how easy 'The Long And Winding Road' is to play? To state that Abe cant play that song is asanine. I just listened to it live and it sounds fine to me. He just plays it ahead of the curve instead of the lagging pocket Ringo played it in. No big deal.

Sheet Music Plus Homepage

liliom

• A Beginning
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2009, 01:03:19 PM »

it's not "my way" or just a slow number he should have play more quietly with more nuances listen to wings over america!another thing i don't like when he stop playing before the last verse of live and let die.

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Confusion will be my epitaph"
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2009, 01:43:30 PM »

Abe is awesome and a real character, you can tell the guy loves playing with Macca. Can't ask for much more a mean even Ringo looked bored in some performances, this guy is always up for it.

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
    • Phoebe Claire Publishing, LLC
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2009, 11:19:56 PM »

Quote from: 373

Sorry, I dont agree with you. Do you realize how easy 'The Long And Winding Road' is to play? To state that Abe cant play that song is asanine. I just listened to it live and it sounds fine to me. He just plays it ahead of the curve instead of the lagging pocket Ringo played it in. No big deal.

I love the "lagging pocket" quote!  Not only did Ringo lag behind the beat, but he also lagged behind the pocket?  I kid.  I know what you mean, but in a way, Ringo really does push the back end of the back beat.

He does play simply (as does Paul) but neither one is Levon Helm.  The thing I love about Ringo is how a better drummer would have ruined songs like "In My Life."   Or just think if Paul had played "Get Back" instead of Ringo--wouldn't have been near as funky.  

I  don't know who played "And I Love Her" on the Unplugged album--but that cat just couldn't loosen up on that beat and pretty much strangled that.  No wonder Paul doesn't play it live--he needs Ringo's groove (even if it's on bongos).

mr vandebilt

• A Beginning
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2009, 11:50:15 PM »

Abe Laboriel Jr(Current Band)

I dont really know whos technically the best but  Abe has so much enthusiam he's awesome. He's too big a character to be in any ordinairy modern band. After Tony Allen and Russel Hobbs he's my favourite drummer alive.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2009, 01:33:26 AM »

Quote from: 9
I  don't know who played "And I Love Her" on the Unplugged album--but that cat just couldn't loosen up on that beat and pretty much strangled that.  No wonder Paul doesn't play it live--he needs Ringo's groove (even if it's on bongos).

That was Blair Cunningham and he's probably my least favorite drummer Paul has ever had. He's good, but his style and decisions never did it for me.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2009, 01:42:37 AM »

it's not "my way" or just a slow number he should have play more quietly with more nuances listen to wings over america!another thing i don't like when he stop playing before the last verse of live and let die.

Yeah your right. You should tell Abe how to play the next time you see him. I mean its obvious you know better than a guy thats played for Paul, Sting, Duran Duran, Clapton, Manhatten Transfer, Steve Vai, Big Mountain, Seal, Sheryl Crow, KD Lang, Jewel, Liz Phair, Meredith Brooks, Fiona Apple, Les Paul, BB King, Leann Rimes, etc,,,,and had teachings from Jeff Porcaro, Alex Acuna, and Chester Thompson. Give me a break.

liliom

• A Beginning
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2009, 01:04:34 PM »

give me a break too!

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2009, 01:42:08 AM »

give me a break too!

No, your not deserving.

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
    • Phoebe Claire Publishing, LLC
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2009, 04:20:13 AM »

Yeah your right. You should tell Abe how to play the next time you see him. I mean its obvious you know better than a guy thats played for Paul, Sting, Duran Duran, Clapton, Manhatten Transfer, Steve Vai, Big Mountain, Seal, Sheryl Crow, KD Lang, Jewel, Liz Phair, Meredith Brooks, Fiona Apple, Les Paul, BB King, Leann Rimes, etc,,,,and had teachings from Jeff Porcaro, Alex Acuna, and Chester Thompson. Give me a break.

Abe is obviously the real deal, but just cause you played with the names don't mean you's the same.  Fiona Apple, Jewel, Meredith Brooks?  I'd rather have Fluke Holland (Johnny Cash's drummer) or Mo Tucker any day than Jeff Porcaro.  (Bernard Purdy kicks Porcaro's ass!  Well, he did do some nice stuff with mid-period Steely Dan, but Toto is horrible, I don't care how "good" the musicians were.)

Oh, hell, what can you say about drummers.  They either keep their own time or somebody elses.  I like the guys and gals who keep their own time.  Don't care how fancy they do it.  

Gary910

• Getting Better
  • Beatles Collector
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2009, 06:09:06 PM »

Well, there is obviously a lot of enthusiasm for Abe. I personally am not that fond of him. I think he drums too hard. I think his style is more suited to a harder rock than what Paul plays. I liked Blair Cunningham a lot.

I voted for Denny Seiwell. Paul's songs are more suited to a softer style, IMO.
And now you've changed your mind, I see no reason to change mine --Lennon/McCartney

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2009, 07:23:13 PM »

Even though Abe is an awesome drummer and not half bad at singing either, I gotta agree with the above about Abe being a bit too heay. :)
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2009, 02:42:54 AM »

Quote from: 9
Abe is obviously the real deal, but just cause you played with the names don't mean you's the same.

Sure it does. It means your in demand. sh*tty drummers are not in demand.

Fiona Apple, Jewel, Meredith Brooks?

Hey, not my style of music either, but their well known so they must be doing something right.

I'd rather have Fluke Holland (Johnny Cash's drummer) or Mo Tucker any day than Jeff Porcaro.

Well, I suppose thats your opinion. I dont know much about Fluke Holland as I dont listen to Johnny Cash very much nor have I ever heard his name mentioned in any drum circles, but I would wager a lot of money that you would be in a very small minority with that statement.

Bernard Purdy kicks Porcaro's ass!  

Care to elaborate on this. Bernard is an incredible drummer and an incredible a**hole, but what songs or playing has Bernard performed that kicks Jeff's ass? Name a few and i'm sure i'll enjoy countering with some of Jeffs tunes.

Well, he did do some nice stuff with mid-period Steely Dan, but Toto is horrible, I don't care how "good" the musicians were.

Well, I happen to love Toto and if you dont like them, thats all good, but to call them horrible is just stupid. Their self titled album is top 20 of all time for me, plus Hydra and Isolation were awesome and we all know how well Toto 4 did for them.

Capping on jeff Porcaro,,,,amazing. I've read it all now. I mean the guy was part of the Wrecking Crew at 15. His mom had to drive him to the studio because he was to young for a drivers license. Whatever, I know better and its not worth getting uptight about I suppose.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2009, 02:45:06 AM »

Quote from: 1916
Well, there is obviously a lot of enthusiasm for Abe. I personally am not that fond of him. I think he drums too hard. I think his style is more suited to a harder rock than what Paul plays. I liked Blair Cunningham a lot.

Are you basing this just on his live stuff? Abe's a trained drummer. He knows all about dynamics. 'Driving Rain' should make that pretty clear to you. With the live stuff, its all for show. Look at the broader picture.

glass onion

• Getting Better
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2009, 07:22:14 PM »

abe is a really cracking drummer!what is everybody talking about?abe....too heavy?have a word people...if paul thought he was playing too heavy,do you not think he would tell his hired hand that he was playing too heavy?as for it being'sacred music'it's paul's bloody music and he will do what he pleases with his own songs.
also bernard purdie v. jeff porcaro again is open to discussion.both fine,fine players,neither played with wings though!!maybe they were considered too heavy by paul??
......."but tonight,i just wanna stay in,and be with you"..............

Ged

• A Beginning
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2009, 01:24:35 PM »

Quote from: 1594
just read all of these quotes and thought i would post my own.
i am a pro drummer- and my opinion goes thus.....denny seiwell was and still is a top player.his drumming on 'live and let die' alone will keep him remembered,other bits and bobs on paul's early stuff too-'my love'has some nice subtle touches.
joe english-different type of player.more funky,very open style.his finest hour for me was the live album.not heard much about him since quitting wings,shame really for such a fine player.
steve holley never really had much time to shine with wings but his drumming on 'back to the egg' really is quite tasty.another fine player.'arrow through me',also his part on 'rockestra'.excellent.
abe laborial jnr. is possibly one of the finest and best players in the world today.enough said.listen to his live work.
as for the best,well it really is all just opinion-but let me say there is not one poor player amongst these fellers.couldn't really pick one myself,although joe english maybe did play on the better songs?as i say,all opinion.
for the record paul,in my humble opinion,is a very capable drummer.a lot of the 'london town' album is his stickwork,also some other good stuff-'back in the ussr',and i have always thought that it sounds like paul's playing on 'savoy truffle'.have a listen,judge for yourselves.
finally,all those who think ringo was poor really need to have a quiet word with themselves.listen to 'help!',any song with him playing on the 'revolver'album,also his drumming on the 'abbey road'l.p is a real highlight.it's really about what we drummers call 'feel' with ringo,and that cannot be taught.

As a pro drummer too, imho this post is spot on - well done.

Gary910

• Getting Better
  • Beatles Collector
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2009, 03:26:00 PM »

Are you basing this just on his live stuff? Abe's a trained drummer. He knows all about dynamics. 'Driving Rain' should make that pretty clear to you. With the live stuff, its all for show. Look at the broader picture.

No I am not just basing it on the live stuff. Don't get me wrong, I did not say I thought he is a bad drummer, quite the contrary, in fact. I just don't care for his 'feel'. He is obviously happy to be in Paul's band.

I think that Denny Seiwell, Blair Cunningham have a better style for Paul's music than Mr. Laboriel Jr. Ringo is not a hard drummer either. He is known for his solid beat. I think even Dave Grohl, who has been drumming with Paul a little of late, has a style that is closer to what I feel fits Paul's music. I think Dave Grohl is still too hard, but a closer match than Abe. Abe would be better suited in a hard style band, that is all I am saying.

And now you've changed your mind, I see no reason to change mine --Lennon/McCartney

glass onion

• Getting Better
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2009, 07:23:33 PM »

very kind words ged.at least" two of us " are in agreement here(pardon the pun mate).do you have a fave wings drummer at all?i probably do lean towards joe english,if pushed for a choice.maybe because i actually rate joes'drum sound above the others.early wings albums(apart from ram)did not really have the most dynamic drum sounds on them.i suppose it may have been the fashion then,although beatles albums had fantastic drum sounds.maybe it was what paul was looking for-that kind of "pudding"sound.anyone agree?
......."but tonight,i just wanna stay in,and be with you"..............

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2009, 01:01:41 AM »

Quote from: 1594
also bernard purdie v. jeff porcaro again is open to discussion.both fine,fine players,neither played with wings though!!maybe they were considered too heavy by paul??

Hey, I realize their both great. I'm not the one who said Purdie kicks his ass.

Jeff did play with Paul on 'Give My Regards To Broadstreet', does that count?

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2009, 01:05:20 AM »

Hey Ged and Glass Onion, you've both mentioned that your pro drummers. What constitutes as a pro drummer? Who have you played with? What have you played on? etc,,. I'm just curious as i've been playing for more than 30 years, but I dont consider myself as a pro drummer.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Page created in 0.792 seconds with 79 queries.