Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Is Paul McCartney Too Old to Perform?  (Read 17418 times)

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
Re: Is Paul McCartney Too Old to Perform?
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2010, 01:26:11 PM »

But I think that for the newer or the more casual fans it's a blessing that Paul's still touring.

I think this is my biggest problem. I'm not just a casual fan.

Great post thought Joost. We understand each other and thats all that counts.

maccafan

• A Beginning
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2010, 07:59:22 PM »

What gets me is how people put thier impressions on others.  Who says McCartney is trying to act hip?  McCartney is just doing what he has always done all his life, and that's just be himself!

For his age the man sounds absolutely awesome! So if you accept him for his age, how can anyone complain?

He can still to this very day belt out Helter Skelter, Rockshow, or Only Mama Knows, and when he does songs like Eleanor Rigby or Here Today, there's hardly a dry eye in the place.

I do wish he would perform more of his Wings and solo material though.  

As long as McCartney can do it, he should do it!

Nuff Said!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 08:01:19 PM by maccafan »

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2010, 01:28:57 AM »

What gets me is how people put thier impressions on others.  Who says McCartney is trying to act hip?  McCartney is just doing what he has always done all his life, and that's just be himself!

Bullsh*t! A person being themselves wouldnt care what other people think. Paul always has his guard up. He's always been egotistical. He's always been the medias darling. He always wants to fit in and be cool. If he really wanted to be himself, he should quit dying his hair and just relax a little.

For his age the man sounds absolutely awesome! So if you accept him for his age, how can anyone complain?

Think about what you just posted (for his age). Yeah, he sounds pretty good for a guy still trying to act like he's 30.

He can still to this very day belt out Helter Skelter, Rockshow, or Only Mama Knows, and when he does songs like Eleanor Rigby or Here Today, there's hardly a dry eye in the place.

Come on man, he sounds like a 70 year old man belting out those rock songs. If you dig it then fine. As for there hardly being a dry eye in the house when he sings the other tunes, its mostly due to nostalgia now. The only tears coming from my eyes when he played those tunes were due to how long the beer line was.

As long as McCartney can do it, he should do it!

Nuff Said!

Its starting to look silly. Doesnt it bother you at all that the man you state who doesnt get any respect is out there helping that stance along? The mass public is starting to make fun of him rather you want to admit that or not. I hear it all too often and it does bother me.

maccafan

• A Beginning
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2010, 08:09:49 PM »

Tkitna, notice what you yourself posted, you say McCartney ALWAYS has his guard up, ALWAYS been egotistical, ALWAYS been the media darling, ALWAYS wants to fit in.

So if a person has ALWAYS behaved a certain way, aren't they being themselves?  Now if McCartney starts acting in a way that we haven't seen before then I'll say he's being phony, but from what I've noticed ever since the Beatles hit the scene until this very day, is Paul McCartney being Paul McCartney!

How on Earth is McCartney acting like he's 30 by singing his own songs, in that case Dylan, Elton John, Robert Plant, Springsteen, The Who, Aerosmith, The Rolling Stones, and every other artist that has any kind of lengthy career is acting that way, totally ridiculous!

Sorry, but the vast majority of people who have attended McCartneys shows this year, totally disagree with you about McCartney sounding like a 70 year old man singing his fantastic rockers!  If anything people are amazed at how good he sounds on these songs!  You should check out Youtube!

As for McCartney looking silly (someones always going to have something negative to say) but just ask all those who saw him perform this year if they think he looks silly.  The reviews I've read say the complete opposite.  
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 08:11:40 PM by maccafan »

stevie

• Getting Better
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2010, 09:05:06 PM »

I would give anything to see Paul live before I die

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2010, 02:58:35 AM »

Tkitna, notice what you yourself posted, you say McCartney ALWAYS has his guard up, ALWAYS been egotistical, ALWAYS been the media darling, ALWAYS wants to fit in.

So if a person has ALWAYS behaved a certain way, aren't they being themselves?  Now if McCartney starts acting in a way that we haven't seen before then I'll say he's being phony, but from what I've noticed ever since the Beatles hit the scene until this very day, is Paul McCartney being Paul McCartney!

You have a valid point and I was thinking this as I typed my prior post, but I just cant help thinking that its always an act with Paul. I always feel that he walks off the stage laughing or thinking to himself that the public lapped it up again. I dont know. It never seems personal with Paul. Its always scripted.

How on Earth is McCartney acting like he's 30 by singing his own songs, in that case Dylan, Elton John, Robert Plant, Springsteen, The Who, Aerosmith, The Rolling Stones, and every other artist that has any kind of lengthy career is acting that way, totally ridiculous!

Its how he acts when he does it. He always has that fake, yuppie smile on with the sunshine and unicorns glowing above his head. You know, the act. I mean dont you think its cool when he plays 'Live And let Die' and holds his heart after the song while the whole crowd is smiling and laughing , thinking to themselves how cute it is that the old bastard on stage just scared himself again after playing one of his songs for the millionth time. Its stupid. The other acts you mentioned dont act like that. They just play the damn songs.

Sorry, but the vast majority of people who have attended McCartneys shows this year, totally disagree with you about McCartney sounding like a 70 year old man singing his fantastic rockers!  If anything people are amazed at how good he sounds on these songs!  You should check out Youtube!

I dont need to check Youtube,,,I was there. I admit, he did sound decent for a 70 year old man, but what is that saying?

As for McCartney looking silly (someones always going to have something negative to say) but just ask all those who saw him perform this year if they think he looks silly.  The reviews I've read say the complete opposite.  

Look, i've seen Paul numerous times and to be honest, i'm pretty much sick of his show by now. It was cool the first couple of times I saw him, but the shows have just progressively gotten worse and stale for me. If people still get off on the same old rehashed show, then so be it.

maccafan

• A Beginning
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2010, 07:36:57 PM »

tkitna, I'm with you all the way when it comes to McCartneys setlist, he seriously needs to dig much deeper into his Wings and solo material.

All the rest is just your perception of the man, and you're entitled to your perception, maybe you should begin your post with the statement, this is just my perception instead of making it sound like everyone feels the way you do, because the vast majority don't!

emmi_luvs_beatles

• A Thousand Pages
  • I'm an Expert.
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2011, 05:52:41 PM »

I would give anything to see Paul live before I die

Ditto.

I am a *newer* fan among the hardcores, and I'd love to see Paul live before he stops touring. I obviously don't mind him being older and performing, because that's what I get for liking older music. If I cared that he was old, I'd be going to see Justin Beiber or something. This is the music that has impacted my life, and he's the man that created it. Of course I want to go see him play, I saw Ringo Starr and Roger Waters last year (2010) and I just hope that I can go see Paul before he retires. So no, I don't think he's too old, because he's still physically able to do it, his voice still sounds good, (of course it's not the same as it was 30 years ago! Who's voice does?) and he's still getting sold-out gigs. So why the hell not?

And as for the "act" he puts up.... Hasn't he been doing that for the last 20 years? Is it really an "act" anymore?

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2011, 10:41:58 PM »

And as for the "act" he puts up.... Hasn't he been doing that for the last 20 years? Is it really an "act" anymore?

Did you not just answer your own question?

emmi_luvs_beatles

• A Thousand Pages
  • I'm an Expert.
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2011, 09:47:26 PM »

Did you not just answer your own question?

I was doing that on purpose to emphasize my point :P

Whoeveriam

• A Beginning
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2011, 08:13:56 PM »

I don't think the problem is that he's not as young as he once was, I think the problem is that maybe the detractors are not as young as they once was.

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2011, 09:23:59 PM »

Paul isn't too old to perform. The problem for me is his setlist. He ignores the past 40+ years of his career and mainly focuses on those 8 or so years that he was a Beatle. Sad.

Whoeveriam

• A Beginning
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2011, 10:06:15 PM »

Yeah maybe. I did see a thread once that said he could play anything so long as he plays his "holy trinity" i.e. Yesterday, Hey Jude, Let It Be.

I tend to agree...

7 of 13

• Getting Better
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2011, 10:21:16 PM »

If this SOB is going to complain about Paul performing at his age, then he'll be wining about Ringo, The Rolling Stones, The Who, Bob Dylan, and Robert Plant, etc. performing because of their ages. They are doing just fine, thank you, Mr.Steinberg!
there you go. age schmage, i always say. evidently there is no limit to the number of irrational and thick macaroons in the developed world.  :o
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 10:27:02 PM by 7 of 13 »
day tripper yeah

Gary910

• Getting Better
  • Beatles Collector
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2011, 05:38:04 PM »

I agree with most of the comments here. His voice definitely is not what it used to be.

I think he is too comfortable to change his set list much. He does occasionally pull some song out of the hat, but even the die-hard Beatle fan I am would love for him to play some of his other solo stuff. "My Brave Face", "Put It There", "Tug Of War"... I could go on.

I am of the impression that he plays "Drive My Car", because everytime he does R.A.D.D. (Recording Artists Against Drunk Driving) gets some money. Sometime ago, I met Robert Fitzpatrick (attorney, owner of the house on Blue Jay Way (in 1967), and a organizer for RADD, told me that Paul started playing "Drive My Car" for RADD. The publishing company also made a deal for "Drive My Car".

In 1993, I loved that Paul started playing the song, as I loved it. I think it is tired in his show now...
And now you've changed your mind, I see no reason to change mine --Lennon/McCartney

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2011, 06:39:47 PM »

'Drive My Car' makes me cringe. Not only is that song tired in Pauls setlist, it was tired on the album when it came out. One of my coworkers hates the Beatles and always brings this song up when he wants to poke fun. 'Beep Beep Beep Beep Yeah'. Its so stupid that even I cant argue the point with him.

Regardless, as Gary mentioned, Paul always has a plan or reason for the things he does. RADD gaining some income for Paul performing the song is an admiral thing and i'm glad Paul does it.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2011, 07:14:10 PM »

I love "Drive My Car" and its beep beeps. Today it may sound silly, but it reflects the innocense of those days. Not to mention its great intro, it's the perfect opener for the perfect album. They may call it "dated music", but well, I love dated music.

About Paul's live acts, I never cared too much about them, beyond his age. Last year he came to Argentina and I didn't go to see him. It was too expensive, and though I could have made the effort, I prefer to spend the money in other things. I like the first solo and Wings albums by Paul, but I've never been a great fan of his work after the Beatles. John is my favourite Beatle but I'm neither a huge fan of his solo career. I prefer listening to pure bands, but sadly all the bands I love no longer exist to watch them live. Bands are the point to me, not individual members; I have no idols.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 07:24:55 PM by Hombre_de_ningun_lugar »
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

Gary910

• Getting Better
  • Beatles Collector
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2011, 08:14:35 PM »

I love the song, I am just tired of Paul playing it...

He makes his shows about 70% Beatles material. I think he does this because he thinks that is what everyone wants to hear. He may be correct, but it is not what I want to hear.
And now you've changed your mind, I see no reason to change mine --Lennon/McCartney

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2011, 01:59:42 AM »

I dont want to hear them either. If I made a setlist for Paul, nobody would come to the show.  ha2ha

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2011, 03:23:48 AM »

Well, if I went to a Paul's show, I'd only want to listen to Beatles songs. And maybe "Maybe I'm Amazed" too.
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Page created in 0.653 seconds with 83 queries.