Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: 22-23 June 1961, Polydor recordings: only a Neumann SM-2??  (Read 5775 times)

Xose

• A Thousand Pages
22-23 June 1961, Polydor recordings: only a Neumann SM-2??
« on: July 06, 2010, 10:09:22 PM »

Ulf Krüger, "An interview with Karl Hinze", in Hans Olof Gottfridsson, The Beatles From Cavern to Star Club, Stockholm, Premium, 1997, pp. 65-68:

"...Q. Can you tell me how many microphones you used?
A...Basically, I have always been a one for intensive stereo, meaning that we used the famous SM-2 [-microphone] from Neumann... If my memory serves me well, I recall that we used just one microphone. And Tony Sheridan got an additional U 47, or something..."

Only a microphone for two guitars + bass + drums?? Why, then, McCartney's bass sounds so 'fat' through a -supposedly- Selmer Truvoice Stadium amp, and with only a microphone for the whole group??

The sound of his bass is much 'fatter' than -for example- at Decca tapes. Why??  ???

Xosé

Bobber

Re: 22-23 June 1961, Polydor recordings: only a Neumann SM-2??
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 07:26:17 AM »

To my ears the recordings sound too professional to assume that only one mike was used.

Xose

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 08:11:41 AM »

As Eric Krasker has pointed "...Don't forget it was only two-track 1961 stereo, and it did not need a microphone for each instrument (=as it was the case later on with the multiplication of the tracks and the sophistication of the sound). A fine quality ambience microphone (=not directional of course) placed in a good position in relation to the amplifiers could give excellent results. Moreover, obviously no microphone was put near Pete Best's drums, otherwise his sound would be more present, more punchy and neat (despite a still possible mixing reduction...).
As you know, McCartney can be heard shouting in the background during My Bonnie or Cry For A Shadow. Now, these shouts seem very distant when listening. If a supplementary microphone had been put near his Höfner bass, we would probably have heard him better..."

Xosé

Bobber

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 01:22:45 PM »

Well, if they did record with one mike, they sure did an excellent job.

Xose

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 01:56:15 PM »

Yes, but still the question is: why does McCartney's bass sound so 'fat' at those recordings with only one microphone?? Just compare it with the sound at Decca tapes: at these one sthe bass is much more thin...

Any thoughts??

Xosé

Bobber

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 02:26:12 PM »

Just a theory: other than on the Decca Tapes, Paul might have had the opportunity to use one of the studio's amplifiers?

Xose

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 03:51:23 PM »

Just a theory: other than on the Decca Tapes, Paul might have had the opportunity to use one of the studio's amplifiers?

He used one of the studio's amplifiers on the Decca audition, but used his Selmer Truvoice Stadium for the Polydor recordings. And the fact is that the bass at Polydor recordings sounds much 'fatter' than on Decca tapes... ???

Perhaps different electronic panel configuration in his 500/1 at both sessions??*  roll:)

Xosé

* Taken from The beginnings of Paul McCartney's bass playing' thread:

Tony Sheridan, Tokyo Beatles Fan Club Magazine, 19 (1998), (=apud Eric Krasker, The Beatles. Fact and Fiction. 1960-1962 , Biarritz, Séguier, 2009, p. 159):

"...Tony Sheridan explains why listening to 'Sweet Georgia Brown' really gives that impression: 'He [McCartney] sounds like a double bass, 'cause I told him to play like theat. I didn't like the new idea of Fender guitar bass. When I first heard Elvis singing 'Jailhouse Rock', that was the first time I heard the electric bass and I didn't like that. Before that, Elvis had always that big bass. I still think the big bass is the best, it has more sound. So I asked Paul to always play as deep (deep notes) as posible, and to play like a big bass player..."
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 03:56:16 PM by Xose »

Bobber

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 04:02:41 PM »

He used one of the studio's amplifiers on the Decca audition, but used his Selmer Truvoice Stadium for the Polydor recordings. And the fact is that the bass at Polydor recordings sounds much 'fatter' than on Decca tapes... ???

Perhaps different electronic panel configuration in his 500/1 at both sessions??*  roll:)

Xosé

* Taken from The beginnings of Paul McCartney's bass playing' thread:

Tony Sheridan, Tokyo Beatles Fan Club Magazine, 19 (1998), (=apud Eric Krasker, The Beatles. Fact and Fiction. 1960-1962 , Biarritz, Séguier, 2009, p. 159):

"...Tony Sheridan explains why listening to 'Sweet Georgia Brown' really gives that impression: 'He [McCartney] sounds like a double bass, 'cause I told him to play like theat. I didn't like the new idea of Fender guitar bass. When I first heard Elvis singing 'Jailhouse Rock', that was the first time I heard the electric bass and I didn't like that. Before that, Elvis had always that big bass. I still think the big bass is the best, it has more sound. So I asked Paul to always play as deep (deep notes) as posible, and to play like a big bass player..."

^I don't read in Tony's note that Paul used his own amp at the session. Did you get that somewhere else?

Xose

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 04:23:36 PM »

^I don't read in Tony's note that Paul used his own amp at the session. Did you get that somewhere else?

Yes, I did: Eric Krasker, page 127... ;)

Xosé
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 04:26:21 PM by Xose »

Bobber

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 08:22:54 AM »

I watched this dvd last night. It contains an interview with Juergen Kramer, who was the sound assistant on the Sheridan/Beatles Recordings. He does mention the Neumann microphone to record the overall band, but adds that less significant microphones were used to record the guitars plus two microphones were places along the drums.

Xose

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2010, 08:35:39 AM »

...I watched this dvd last night. It contains an interview with Juergen Kramer, who was the sound assistant on the Sheridan/Beatles Recordings. He does mention the Neumann microphone to record the overall band, but adds that less significant microphones were used to record the guitars plus two microphones were places along the drums.

Aha... Excellent, Bobber... thank you!! ;)

Now the point is to know which those "...less significant microphones..." were...  ???

Xosé

Bobber

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2010, 08:39:57 AM »

Haha! You have a new question to every answer. ha2ha  I'll see if I can find anything on Juergen Kramer on the credits of the dvd.

Xose

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2010, 04:48:30 PM »

Quote from: Bobber
...I'll see if I can find anything on Juergen Kramer on the credits of the dvd.

Perfect... Dank U wel!! ;)

Xosé

Xose

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2011, 02:39:21 PM »

Quote from: Xosé
...Why the bass at Polydor recordings sounds much 'fatter' than the Decca's one, and with only one microphone?? (=the Neumann-SM-2)...

...Tony Sheridan, Tokyo Beatles Fan Club Magazine, 19 (1998), (=apud Eric Krasker, The Beatles. Fact and Fiction. 1960-1962, Biarritz, Séguier, 2009, p. 159):

"...Tony Sheridan explains why listening to 'Sweet Georgia Brown' really gives that impression: 'He [McCartney] sounds like a double bass, 'cause I told him to play like that. I didn't like the new idea of Fender guitar bass. When I first heard Elvis singing 'Jailhouse Rock', that was the first time I heard the electric bass and I didn't like that. Before that, Elvis had always that big bass. I still think the big bass is the best, it has more sound. So I asked Paul to always play as deep (deep notes) as posible, and to play like a big bass player..."...

...Thomas Rehwagen - Thorsten Scmidt, „Mach Schau!” Die Beatles in Hamburg, EinfallsReich, Braunschweig, 1992, pp. 126-127:

"...Stuart war bei den Sessions anwesend, jedoch nur als Zuschauer. Paul McCartney spielte den Bass [Stuart was present at the sessions, however only as a spectator. Paul McCartney played the bass]..."*

500/1 or 500/5??  ???

* My translation...

Xosé

Page created in 0.567 seconds with 60 queries.