Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: "How Do You Sleep?"  (Read 3972 times)

I am the Paulrus

• Getting Better
    • FAB 4 FORUM
"How Do You Sleep?"
« on: January 28, 2009, 01:22:13 AM »

"How Do You Sleep?"

It's funny how life imitates art. John's song "How Do You Sleep?", which was suppose to be a musical response to Paul about his song, "Too Many People", but John said, later, was written about himself. Well, McCartney, that's Jesse McCartney, has come out with a song by the same name, "How Do You Sleep?" It is not a remake of John's song. Just a different song with the same title.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

DarkSweetLady

• A Thousand Pages
Re: "How Do You Sleep?"
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 02:02:23 PM »

I have a few things to say about this:

1) This is a really good song. I love the guitar in it.

2) Do I believe that it's written about himself and not Paul, no.

3) I really hate Jesse McCartney, and he obviously kept his last name so people would compare them and he obviously wrote a song with that title so people would compare it.

~the guiding light in all your love shines on~

BlueMeanie

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 01:20:31 PM »

Quote from: 668

3) I really hate Jesse McCartney, and he obviously kept his last name so people would compare them and he obviously wrote a song with that title so people would compare it.

Hardly his fault he was born with the name McCartney. Why should he change it?

mr vandebilt

• A Beginning
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 01:30:01 PM »

i really doubt his target audiance are aware of the lennon/mcartney feud, and i dont think anyone has ever compared him to a beatle

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 09:05:28 PM »

Paulrus, you ought to listen to Jesse's version of Paul McCartney's "Blackbird."  (Ugh...)

DarkSweetLady

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 12:27:37 AM »

I must admit it is hardly his fault, but a lot of people change their name. I just used that because you have 1 and 2 reasons a 3rd always looks good. ;) Hah.

But I don't like him. I'm sure He was aware of the song, maybe his audience wasn't.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 01:44:47 AM »

Is Jesse McCartneys song about Paul too?

DarkSweetLady

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 10:49:14 PM »

Perhaps...;)

Probably not. Besides their last name they have nothing in common.

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 09:18:12 AM »

I think John's statement about HDYS being written about himself is BS. The lyrics are about McCartney, anybody can figure that out.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009, 12:28:09 PM »

Quote from: 155
"How Do You Sleep?"

It's funny how life imitates art. John's song "How Do You Sleep?", which was suppose to be a musical response to Paul about his song, "Too Many People", but John said, later, was written about himself.

Did he say that? I hope it was just John's usual "confusion" regarding the truth, and not some cynical attempt to rewrite history in order to flog a few more copies of his coffee-table-music-for-mums-and-dads  magnus horribilus Double Fantasy, and knew accusing Macca of making muzak probably wasn't that koshher.
These crazy Beatles - don't know whether they're coming or going half the time.
don't follow leaders

Gary910

• Getting Better
  • Beatles Collector
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2009, 07:23:08 PM »

Quote from: 483

Hardly his fault he was born with the name McCartney. Why should he change it?

Even Paul McCartney's brother changed his name to avoid comparisons and so as to get credit for his own work.

As to whether Jesse McCartney should change his name, that is a good debate. I think most of his target audience are barely aware of the Beatles, let alone Paul McCartney.
And now you've changed your mind, I see no reason to change mine --Lennon/McCartney

DarkSweetLady

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2009, 07:50:28 PM »

It totally was for Paul, John probably didn't want to involve another conflict into his life. And even George played on it, so it's like the we Hate Paul Fan Club on that song. (as of that time)

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2009, 06:45:22 AM »

Quote from: 185

Did he say that? I hope it was just John's usual "confusion" regarding the truth, and not some cynical attempt to rewrite history in order to flog a few more copies of his coffee-table-music-for-mums-and-dads  magnus horribilus Double Fantasy, and knew accusing Macca of making muzak probably wasn't that koshher.
These crazy Beatles - don't know whether they're coming or going half the time.

Yeah, John said that about a few of his songs. I thought it was about so and so, but now I realize it was really about ME! His narcissistic side grew ever stronger as the years went on. Personally, I think he was full of it. His songs are pretty transparent. Unlike Paul who is beyond cryptic and never lets anyone really know what he actually meant.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2009, 09:35:53 AM »

Quote from: 1916

Even Paul McCartney's brother changed his name to avoid comparisons and so as to get credit for his own work.

As to whether Jesse McCartney should change his name, that is a good debate. I think most of his target audience are barely aware of the Beatles, let alone Paul McCartney.

I don't think there's a debate there at all. What's to debate? It's his birth name, and he's not related. Mike McCartney is related, and he didn't want to ride on the coattails of his brother. That's admirable, but he didn't have to do it.

Should Angus Young have changed his name all those years ago because there was already a Young (Neil) on the circuit? Kanye West (Leslie West/Mountain)? There's a George McCartney who plays football for West Ham, maybe he should change his name to McGear?

Gary910

• Getting Better
  • Beatles Collector
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2009, 08:28:08 PM »

Quote from: 483

I don't think there's a debate there at all. What's to debate? It's his birth name, and he's not related. Mike McCartney is related, and he didn't want to ride on the coattails of his brother. That's admirable, but he didn't have to do it.

Should Angus Young have changed his name all those years ago because there was already a Young (Neil) on the circuit? Kanye West (Leslie West/Mountain)? There's a George McCartney who plays football for West Ham, maybe he should change his name to McGear?

I was not suggesting that J. McCartney change his name. I was being gracious to others that have their opinions as to whether or not he should change his name. As I stated, most of J. McCartney's audience are probably not into the Beatles, he shouldn't really worry about it.

And now you've changed your mind, I see no reason to change mine --Lennon/McCartney

DarkSweetLady

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2009, 12:10:01 AM »

Neither was I.

Theres no debate, it was his name. I just said it because I couldn't think of a 3rd reason why I hated him that fast. Didn't mean to start an arguement.
But I know very well, and I have heard in interviews, where people have asked and he said he got that quite a lot when he was "starting out". So, in a way, it gives him a little publiscity. Just saing, no arguement.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2009, 07:29:04 AM »

Neither was I.

Theres no debate, it was his name. I just said it because I couldn't think of a 3rd reason why I hated him that fast. Didn't mean to start an arguement.

Remember what smiley's are for? :-/

DarkSweetLady

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2009, 11:24:33 PM »

I apologize. Sorry.

I was just being stubborn on the name subject.

Page created in 2.904 seconds with 81 queries.