Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 42

Author Topic: The Beach Boys  (Read 155283 times)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
Re: The Beach Boys
« Reply #200 on: June 04, 2010, 01:45:41 AM »

Sounds like you had a great time at that "doubleheader."  That was a nice way to kick off the summer.

And I'm happy to hear that Carl was acknowledged.
I can stay till it's time to go

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #201 on: June 04, 2010, 06:31:59 AM »

Ok, so post concert review time.  
The Braves went on to win 9-3 and have swept the Phillies! ;D
The concert was great! Mike's voice has held up and sounds just as it does in the recordings.  Bruce was great and gave acknolegement to Carl after sing "God Only Knows".  
The songs are what you'd expect I guess. Maybe "Do it Again" and "When I Grow Up" were perhaps the only two that I wouldn't have thought of.
Other than that it was a fun show and everyone was dancing and singing.  I'd definitely go again if I had the chance. I just can't wait to see Brian at some point. It's too bad he doesn't tour very far or go down South for that matter.

Good to hear you had a good time and that people still enjoy their concerts. :) The state of Mike's voice seems to depend on the day. Some days he sounds just like he used to, sometimes he sounds unbearably nasal. The two songs you mentioned really aren't such big surprises though - 'Do It Again' was a UK #1 (apart from 'Good Vibrations' their only British chart topper ever), 'When I Grow Up', though often absent on best of-compilations, was a US top 10 hit.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 08:05:40 AM by Joost »

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #202 on: June 04, 2010, 06:36:41 AM »

Sounds like you had a great time at that "doubleheader."  That was a nice way to kick off the summer.

And I'm happy to hear that Carl was acknowledged.

Both Brian and the Mike & Bruce Band always dedicate 'God Only Knows' to Carl. And sometimes they throw in 'Forever' for Dennis too.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #203 on: June 25, 2010, 05:56:54 PM »

Some news from the Beach Boys camp:

Al Jardine's first solo album 'Postcard From California', which was first announced three or four years ago, is finally coming out next week but unfortionately it'll be a download release only. Guest stars include all living Beach Boys members, Steve Miller, Gerry Beckley & Dewey Bunnell (America), David Crosby, Neil Young, Glen Campbell, Flea (Red Hot Chili Peppers) and Alec Baldwin.

Brian's new solo album 'Brian Wilson Reimagines Gershwin' will be released on August 17. It contains 14 Gershwin compositions, including two that have never been recorded by anyone before. Tracklisting: Rhapsody In Blue (Intro) / The Like In I Love You (unreleased) / Summertime / I Loves You Porgy / I Got Plenty O' Nuttin' / It Ain't Necessarily So / 'S Wonderful / They Can't Take That Away From Me / Love Is Here To Stay / I've Got A Crush On You / I Got Rhythm / Someone To Watch Over Me / Nothing But Love (unreleased) / Rhapsody In Blue (Reprise). Insiders say it's an incredibly good album. Next up will be an album of classic Disney songs.

Mike Love recently said that a reunion with Brian for the Beach Boys' 50th anniversary has been discussed. However, Brian's website released a statement saying that there are no such plans. Insiders believe there indeed will be a reunion of some sort.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 05:58:49 PM by Joost »

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #204 on: July 13, 2010, 01:51:19 PM »

According to Al Jardine, it has been discussed now that all living members might do a few reunion shows in 2011. And apparently, Dennis's son Carl B. and Carl's son Justyn have expressed interest in replacing their dads. Could be really cool if it works out.

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #205 on: July 22, 2010, 03:15:47 PM »

sons of a beach...cool band name...

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #206 on: July 22, 2010, 04:20:11 PM »

;D

You could form a pretty good band out of the Beach Boys' offspring. Al Jardine used to tour with his sons Matt and Adam and Brian's daughters Carnie and Wendy for a while and when they sang together it really had a bit of that old Beach Boys magic. And if they'd throw Mike's son Christian in the mix too it would be even better, it's eerie how much he sounds like Carl Wilson.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #207 on: September 14, 2010, 03:45:46 AM »

The Trashmen - Surfin' Bird

The Beach Boys - Papa Om Mow Mow - Lost Concert

;)

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #208 on: September 14, 2010, 10:01:10 AM »

The Trashmen - Surfin' Bird

The Beach Boys - Papa Om Mow Mow - Lost Concert

;)

'Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow' is a song by The Rivingtons from 1962. The Beach Boys covered it in it's original form, The Trashmen combined it with another Rivingtons song, 'The Bird's The Word' (it's kind of like what we today would call a mash-up). So basically they're both covers of the same song.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #209 on: September 14, 2010, 02:58:33 PM »

'Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow' is a song by The Rivingtons from 1962. The Beach Boys covered it in it's original form, The Trashmen combined it with another Rivingtons song, 'The Bird's The Word' (it's kind of like what we today would call a mash-up). So basically they're both covers of the same song.

Right, Joost, and another case of R&B covering.  So, here are The Rivingtons...

The Rivingtons - Papa Oom Mow Mow

The Rivingtons - Birds The Word

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #210 on: September 14, 2010, 03:22:03 PM »

And here are The Trashmen doing a more familiar surf song...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn0guNnXiQk&amp;feature=player_embedded" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn0guNnXiQk&amp;feature=player_embedded</a>
!

...collarless jackets and all!   ;)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #211 on: September 14, 2010, 06:25:35 PM »

Joost, to emphasize just how unfair R&B covering was, here's Dick Clark making it sound like Surfin' Bird (The Bird Is The Word/Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow) originated with The Trashmen (external embedding is disabled so click on the link)...

T RA SHMEN - Surfi n Bird (1963) (The video's owner prevents external embedding)

Steve Wahrer had the audacity to say that The Trashmen wrote the song.  Dick Clark didn't refute him.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #212 on: September 14, 2010, 07:03:46 PM »

And here are The Trashmen doing a more familiar surf song...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn0guNnXiQk&feature=player_embedded#!

...collarless jackets and all!   ;)

That does sound awfully familiar. :) I hear Roll Over Beethoven, Johnny B. Goode and Shut Down...

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #213 on: September 14, 2010, 07:10:52 PM »

No band re-wrote Beach Boys songs as obviously as The Fantastic Baggys did... One of the two singer/songwriters behind this studio project was P.F. Sloan, who would go on to write 'Eve Of Destruction' for Barry McGuire...

Wait for the chorus:

The Fantastic Baggys - Surfin´ craze

Beach Boys - Surfin' USA (with Lyrics)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #214 on: September 14, 2010, 07:59:44 PM »

Wait for the chorus:

Oh yeah!

But, as we know, it started like this...

Chuck Berry Sweet Little 16

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #215 on: September 14, 2010, 08:06:24 PM »

That does sound awfully familiar. :) I hear Roll Over Beethoven, Johnny B. Goode and Shut Down...

I knew you'd pick up on that, Joost.

The Beach Boys - Shut Down

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #216 on: September 14, 2010, 08:54:08 PM »

Oh yeah!

But, as we know, it started like this...

On the first pressing of the 'Surfin' USA' single, the song was credited to only Brian Wilson. Of course Chuck Berry didn't take that, as the song was obviously based on 'Sweet Little Sixteen'. So The Beach Boys agreed to give him credit for writing the music... And accidentally gave him the copyrights on the lyrics as well! So until the late 80s, 'Surfin' USA' was credited to only Chuck Berry! Currently the offical credit is Berry/Wilson.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #217 on: September 15, 2010, 12:34:22 AM »

On the first pressing of the 'Surfin' USA' single, the song was credited to only Brian Wilson. Of course Chuck Berry didn't take that, as the song was obviously based on 'Sweet Little Sixteen'. So The Beach Boys agreed to give him credit for writing the music... And accidentally gave him the copyrights on the lyrics as well! So until the late 80s, 'Surfin' USA' was credited to only Chuck Berry! Currently the offical credit is Berry/Wilson.

A similar story occured with The Trashmen's Surfin' Bird.  This, from Wikipedia:

The Trashmen's major notable hit was 1963's "Surfin' Bird", which reached #4 on the Billboard Hot 100 in the later part of that year. The song was a combination of two R&B hits by The Rivingtons, "The Bird's the Word" and "Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow". The earliest pressings of the single credit the Trashmen as composers, but following a threat from The Rivingtons' legal counsel, that group was subsequently credited as composers.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #218 on: September 15, 2010, 12:58:59 AM »

OK   Here's another original novelty song, this time by the Hollywood Argyles called Alley Oop, a #1 song here in 1960...

THE HOLLYWOOD ARGYLES- "ALLEY OOP"

...and covers by Dante & the Evergreens and The Beach Boys..

Alley Oop - Dante & the Evergreens

Alley Oop - Beach Boys

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #219 on: September 15, 2010, 01:04:26 AM »

...and another cover by The Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band...

The Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band - Alley Oop
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 42

Page created in 0.865 seconds with 78 queries.