Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 42

Author Topic: The Beach Boys  (Read 155277 times)

Joost

• That Means a Lot
Re: The Beach Boys
« Reply #460 on: October 15, 2011, 08:41:03 PM »

In my opinion, 15 BIG ONES and LOVE YOU could have been one album together since the music style is exactly the same.
Production wise they do sound somewhat identical, but I think the "spirit" of both albums is totally different. I always saw '15 Big Ones' mostly as Mike's brainchild (with the cheesy covers and the TM influences) while 'Love You' is 100% Brian.

THE BEACH BOYS' surf sound in the late 1970's (Not the early 1970's) didn't rock like the 1960's.
Isn't it funny how the Beach Boys' music from the late 70s, the 80s and the 90s sounds much more dated now than their 60s and early 70s material? That's what you get when you try to go with the trends, instead of just sticking with what you do best...

Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #461 on: October 15, 2011, 08:51:30 PM »

Keep in mind that, while I have all of the Beach Boys albums on my iTunes, I haven't listened to all of them, or even most of them. I just started getting into them a few months ago, and went on a buying craze!

Good for you! :) I had the same thing about seven years ago. I bought all their albums within a year and discovered them in random order.

My advice would be to start with the albums from 1965-1971 (all essential), then go on to the 1962-1964 and 1972-1973 albums (more ups and downs but still lots of brilliant stuff) and leave the 1976-1996 material (mostly for completists) for last.

KeepUnderCover

• A Beginning
  • Across The Universe
« Reply #462 on: October 15, 2011, 09:07:38 PM »

Good for you! :) I had the same thing about seven years ago. I bought all their albums within a year and discovered them in random order.

My advice would be to start with the albums from 1965-1971 (all essential), then go on to the 1962-1964 and 1972-1973 albums (more ups and downs but still lots of brilliant stuff) and leave the 1976-1996 material (mostly for completists) for last.

Thanks for the advice. :)

I have already listened to the first two albums, Surfin' Safari and Surfer Girl, I think they're called? I like both of them - but then again, I grew up listening to the singles, despite being a kid back in the 90's.

I also saw The Beach Boys live once, although I'm not sure if it was with Brian Wilson or not?

Live dates

Ringo Starr, Columbus OH, Feb 22, 1999
Julian Lennon, Cincinnati OH, July 21, 1999
Paul McCartney, Cincinnati OH, Aug 4th, 2011

~The Beatles Forever~

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #463 on: October 15, 2011, 09:57:46 PM »

I also saw The Beach Boys live once, although I'm not sure if it was with Brian Wilson or not?

Probably not. The last time Brian performed live with The Beach Boys was in September 1996. And before that, only sporadically.

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
  • The Rock n' Roll Warrior
« Reply #464 on: October 15, 2011, 10:33:44 PM »

Production wise they do sound somewhat identical, but I think the "spirit" of both albums is totally different. I always saw '15 Big Ones' mostly as Mike's brainchild (with the cheesy covers and the TM influences) while 'Love You' is 100% Brian.
Isn't it funny how the Beach Boys' music from the late 70s, the 80s and the 90s sounds much more dated now than their 60s and early 70s material? That's what you get when you try to go with the trends, instead of just sticking with what you do best...

Hi Joost! The spirit of both albums are different seeing that the 15 BIG ONES album was released in 1976 which is the Bicentennial year.

In a way Joost, the band (Mostly Mike) did what they said that they would never do which is mess with the surf sound formula and therefore change with the trends and times. Like you said Joost, the band should have stuck to what they did best which is stick to the original surf sound formula.   

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #465 on: October 16, 2011, 01:14:46 AM »

Hi Joost! Are you still looking for original BEACH BOYS Sea Of Tunes CD collections? I own all of THE BEACH BOYS Sea Of Tunes CD collections and they are good. Here is the link to one of the CD collections that is being sold on eBay. Take care Joost.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beach-Boys-Rare-OOP-Smile-Boxset-rare-tracks-commercials-and-book-/230637611088?_trksid=p3286.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D2%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D3504952439886694998

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #466 on: October 17, 2011, 09:31:40 AM »

Like you said Joost, the band should have stuck to what they did best which is stick to the original surf sound formula.   

That's not really what I meant. If they would've stuck with the original surf formula, 'Pet Sounds', 'SMiLE', 'Sunflower' and all those other masterpieces wouldn't have happened. I meant that they just had to stick to doing their own thing without caring about the trends in music. In the late 70s and the 80s they started experimenting with disco, synthesizers, drum computers, filtered vocals, hard rock guitars and even rap. None of which were very good ideas.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #467 on: October 17, 2011, 09:33:55 AM »

Hi Joost! Are you still looking for original BEACH BOYS Sea Of Tunes CD collections? I own all of THE BEACH BOYS Sea Of Tunes CD collections and they are good. Here is the link to one of the CD collections that is being sold on eBay. Take care Joost.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beach-Boys-Rare-OOP-Smile-Boxset-rare-tracks-commercials-and-book-/230637611088?_trksid=p3286.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D2%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D3504952439886694998

Thanks for the tip, but unfortionately $318 is quite a bit more than I'm willing to spend on a couple of CDs...

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #468 on: October 17, 2011, 09:15:53 PM »

That's not really what I meant. If they would've stuck with the original surf formula, 'Pet Sounds', 'SMiLE', 'Sunflower' and all those other masterpieces wouldn't have happened. I meant that they just had to stick to doing their own thing without caring about the trends in music. In the late 70s and the 80s they started experimenting with disco, synthesizers, drum computers, filtered vocals, hard rock guitars and even rap. None of which were very good ideas.

I took it differently. Let me try explaining what I meant. I'm saying that the band did change the surf sound formula in the late 1970's (I'm not talking about the 60's) by using and experimenting with disco, synthesizers, drum computers, filtered vocals and etc...If the band would have stuck to the original surf sound formula, since Mike did not want the formula messed with despite him changing it later, and not changed the formula with the times, THE BEACH BOYS could have made some great albums in the late 1970's. Otherwise, the band changed the surf sound as part of changing with the times and trends rather than do what they did best. You're right Joost, if Brian didn't change the surf sound formula, PET SOUNDS, SMiLE and SUNFLOWER would have never happened. However, the PET SOUNDS, SMiLE and SUNFLOWER sound formula period/era did not last very long, thanks primarily to Mike, and the surf sound formula would take over again, only this time, the formula was going through different changes and stages not to mention the trends that would change the surf sound through the 70's and into the late 1970's. If the band was changing with the trends and times, Mike should have left Brian alone and let him continue in changing their sound with the trends and times. If Mike wasn't going to let Brian have his way, then Mike should have continued on with the original surf sound and not the surf sound we hear today. I hope that I'm making sense Joost. 

If Mike would have let Brian continue in doing what he wanted to do in the studio, THE BEACH BOYS' legend would be completely different than what they are now. Mike wanted the surf sound, Brian didn't, which sound won in the end? In my opinion, Mike was primarily responsible for changing the surf sound into the surf sound we hear today. Who's leading THE BEACH BOYS now? I just wish that Mike would have left the original surf sound alone and not changed the sound with the times especially since the surf sound is what he wanted for the band. I hope that I'm making sense Joost. Take care.     

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #469 on: October 17, 2011, 09:21:52 PM »

Thanks for the tip, but unfortionately $318 is quite a bit more than I'm willing to spend on a couple of CDs...

It is expensive but I have seen this 3-CD set sell for as much as $500.00 on eBay. Like I said Joost, this is a RARE collector's item by Sea Of Tunes. Take care Joost.   

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #470 on: October 17, 2011, 09:39:04 PM »

Especially check out the last chapter of the book. It's compiled by yours truly. :)

Hi Joost, I just received my book today. Your name should be the name of a band!  ha2ha

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #471 on: October 18, 2011, 12:38:37 PM »

I doubt it. Too hard to pronounce correctly for English speaking people. :)

However, the PET SOUNDS, SMiLE and SUNFLOWER sound formula period/era did not last very long, thanks primarily to Mike, and the surf sound formula would take over again
Well, if you think of it, it actually did last quite a while. Brian left the surf formula in 1965 (with 'The Beach Boys Today!') and they didn't transform into Mike Love's oldies act until 1976 (with '15 Big Ones'), and even then in 1977 they made another typical Brian album ('Love You'). Mike was always sceptical of Brian's new directions, but he never actively prevented him from doing something new. Mike might not have been the biggest fan of Brian's musical ambitions, but I think he knew better than anyone else that he needed Brian much more than Brian needed him. After 'SMiLE', I think that Brian just mentally wasn't able to keep towing the band. I personally think that Mike's contribution to that process, although his attitude certainly didn't help, has always been overstated. I think that to Brian, he was just a bit of a prick, but not much more than that.

Mike wanted the surf sound, Brian didn't, which sound won in the end?
Depends on how you look at it. Brian wins from an artistic point of view, Mike wins from a commercial point of view. Which sound are The Beach Boys remembered for most? The surf sound. Which album sold better, the surf era compilation 'Endless Summer'  or 'Pet Sounds'? 'Endless Summer' remained on the charts for 155 weeks and made it to #1, 'Pet Sounds' didn't even become a gold record until 2000. Who wrote the most top 40 singles in the last thirty years? Mike wins 2-0. My point is that even though Brian has more musical talent in his little toe than Mike ever had in his whole body, "Mike's Beach Boys" were million sellers, while "Brian's Beach Boys" were "just" cult icons. You've got to give Mike some credit for that. Mike knew really well what the big public wanted while Brian's thing was more sophisticated and for a more selective audience.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 07:58:33 PM by Joost »

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #472 on: October 18, 2011, 08:56:41 PM »

I doubt it. Too hard to pronounce correctly for English speaking people. :)
Well, if you think of it, it actually did last quite a while. Brian left the surf formula in 1965 (with 'The Beach Boys Today!') and they didn't transform into Mike Love's oldies act until 1976 (with '15 Big Ones'), and even then in 1977 they made another typical Brian album ('Love You'). Mike was always sceptical of Brian's new directions, but he never actively prevented him from doing something new. Mike might not have been the biggest fan of Brian's musical ambitions, but I think he knew better than anyone else that he needed Brian much more than Brian needed him. After 'SMiLE', I think that Brian just mentally wasn't able to keep towing the band. I personally think that Mike's contribution to that process, although his attitude certainly didn't help, has always been overstated. I think that to Brian, he was just a bit of a prick, but not much more than that.
Depends on how you look at it. Brian wins from an artistic point of view, Mike wins from a commercial point of view. Which sound are The Beach Boys remembered for most? The surf sound. Which album sold better, the surf era compilation 'Endless Summer'  or 'Pet Sounds'? 'Endless Summer' remained on the charts for 155 weeks and made it to #1, 'Pet Sounds' didn't even become a gold record until 2000. Who wrote the most top 40 singles in the last thirty years? Mike wins 2-0. My point is that even though Brian has more musical talent in his little toe than Mike ever had in his whole body, "Mike's Beach Boys" were million sellers, while "Brian's Beach Boys" were "just" cult icons. You've got to give Mike some credit for that. Mike knew really well what the big public wanted while Brian's thing was more sophisticated and for a more selective audience.

Maybe Spanish speaking people can pronounce it better!  ha2ha

Hi Joost, when you think of THE BEACH BOYS career up to now, in reality, the PET SOUNDS, SMiLE and SUNFLOWER period did not last long thanks to Mike. In my opinion, the LOVE YOU album from 1977 may have been a "so called" Brian Wilson album, but it had the Mike Love influence stamped all over it. If Brian would have had his way, he would have recorded more songs like "It's Over Now" and "Still I Dream Of It" and not record the pop surf late 70's music sounds of "Rock And Roll Music."

Yes, the Surf sound of the 1960's has perservered up to now commercially and because of that, Mike should have stuck with the 1960's Rock Surf sound formula and not settled on changing the Surf sound into something less bal*sy in the late 1970's. In my opinion, when Mike sold out and settled on his new Surf sound for the band in the late 1970's, the progress of the band went backwards rather than move forward like Brian would have liked to. In my opinion, the band's Surf sound (I like to call it Bubble Gum Surf music) in the late 1970's had no ba*ls, backbone or soul to it. The band's original trademark Surf sound in the early to mid 1960's (I call it the true Surf Rock music) had ba*ls, backbone and soul, Mike should have stuck to the original 1960's Surf sound formula if he was not going to let Brian move musically in the artistic and commercial direction that he wanted to go.

Surf Rock music in the 1960's was raw and kicked a*s! However, Brian took Surf music to another level and presented Surf Rock to the music world in a whole different way. In my opinion, Surf Rock music had reached its maximum point in the mid 1960's, thanks to Brian, and it should have stayed that way going into the mid and late 1970's. In my opinion, when Mike messed with the Surf sound formula by changing the sound itself in the mid to late 1970's, it ruined THE BEACH BOYS sound.

Endless Summer proved that THE BEACH BOYS original trademark Surf Rock sound formula was the ultimate winning sound for THE BEACH BOYS, the band (Mainly Mike) should have kept it that way and not changed it if Brian was not permitted to move the band into a different musical direction. In my opinion, yes, maybe Mike's BEACH BOYS are million sellers, but Mike sold out. Take care.                 
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 09:00:31 PM by BeatlesForever »

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #473 on: October 18, 2011, 09:25:41 PM »

Of course Mike sold out. But I think he himself will be the last person to deny that. Brian's an artist, Mike just wants to sell as many records as possible. That has never really been a secret.

I read a theory about Mike Love somewhere that made sense to me. Mike grew up in a wealthy family, but they became poor when his dad went bankrupt. That must have been traumatizing. So that might explain why he just wanted to do what he thought would be commercially successful.

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #474 on: October 18, 2011, 09:41:44 PM »

Of course Mike sold out. But I think he himself will be the last person to deny that. Brian's an artist, Mike just wants to sell as many records as possible. That has never really been a secret.

I read a theory about Mike Love somewhere that made sense to me. Mike grew up in a wealthy family, but they became poor when his dad went bankrupt. That must have been traumatizing. So that might explain why he just wanted to do what he thought would be commercially successful.

Now we're on the same course!  ha2ha Mike Love will deny just about anything pertaining to Brian and THE BEACH BOYS (Especially SMiLE). I agree with you, Mike only cares about selling records and making money even if it means selling out by taking the short cuts with the music itself. How sad.

Joost, I read that Mike Love (Along with Brian and Al) is one of the main participants in the SMiLE project. I cannot understand why Mike NOW wants to be part of the SMiLE project when he didn't want anything to do with it back in 1966-67. Its the money, thats what it is. I think that this is ridiculous. What do you think of this Joost?   

I also read that Mike Love also had a baby coming on the way and was desperate in making some quick money.   

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #475 on: October 19, 2011, 07:57:05 AM »

Mike Love always seems to divide Beach Boys fans into two camps. Some love The Beach Boys including Mike, some love The Beach Boys despite him.

Seems to me like you belong to the second group, right? ;) On some days I do too. He doesn't seem to me like the kind of guy I would like to hang out with, I think he's a not overtly talented self-centered prick who blows his own horn way too much, and I think he made a lot of unfortionate decisions throughout his life and career. But I really can't hate the guy. After all, he was an essential part of my favorite band of all time. It's a fact that without him The Beach Boys wouldn't have been the same band.

Brian was the musical genius, but the whole California sun & fun thing, that was Mike, not Brian. Unlike Brian, Mike knew what the big public wanted to hear. He was the only showman in a band that was otherwise pretty dull to watch on stage. And he's been touring pretty much non-stop for half a freaking century now, still keeping The Beach Boys' name alive (although it's up for debate if the current touring version of The Beach Boys does the group's name good or harm...). Most of his peers are already retired and he's got more money than he'll be able to spend in this lifetime, but he just keeps going, so he most REALLY love just being a Beach Boy. Gotta give him some credit for that.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 09:54:51 AM by Joost »

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #476 on: October 19, 2011, 09:01:58 AM »

Congrats on the Beach Boys book credit Joost  :) I'd like to see a picture of that. So cool!

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #477 on: October 19, 2011, 11:49:54 AM »

Mike Love always seems to divide Beach Boys fans into two camps. Some love The Beach Boys including Mike, some love The Beach Boys despite him.

Seems to me like you belong to the second group, right? ;) On some days I do too. He doesn't seem to me like the kind of guy I would like to hang out with, I think he's a not overtly talented self-centered prick who blows his own horn way too much, and I think he made a lot of unfortionate decisions throughout his life and career. But I really can't hate the guy. After all, he was an essential part of my favorite band of all time. It's a fact that without him The Beach Boys wouldn't have been the same band.

Brian was the musical genius, but the whole California sun & fun thing, that was Mike, not Brian. Unlike Brian, Mike knew what the big public wanted to hear. He was the only showman in a band that was otherwise pretty dull to watch on stage. And he's been touring pretty much non-stop for half a freaking century now, still keeping The Beach Boys' name alive (although it's up for debate if the current touring version of The Beach Boys does the group's name good or harm...). Most of his peers are already retired and he's got more money than he'll be able to spend in this lifetime, but he just keeps going, so he most REALLY love just being a Beach Boy. Gotta give him some credit for that.

Hi Joost! I belong to the second group all the way because I have a reason. You called it right Joost, he is a not overly talented self-centered prick who blows his horn way too much. Mike is also an arrogant egotistical narrow minded SOB that needs to be knocked on his a*s and I almost did it in 1981. When I met Mike Love for the first time in 1981, I got into a fight with him. Denny got between the both of us and broke us apart. Mike REALLY is NOT the kind of guy that you (Or anyone for that matter) would like to hang out with. If you would have met and knew Mike the way I did, I promise you that you would feel the same way I do.

I thought that THE BEACH BOYS was your second favorite band behind THE BEATLES!  ha2ha

I'm really proud of Brian for becoming the touring musician and artist that he's become. I would have never believed that Brian would do the impossible which is tour the world in the 2000's. In my opinion, I really believe that Brian is travelling on a mental journey back in time and making the wrong right by finishing his SMiLE masterpiece. Doing this, he is finally making peace within himself.

In my opinion, Mike's BEACH BOYS has done the band more harm with the Bubble Gum Surf music he sings now. However, financially, the band is still successful to this day thanks to the diehard BEACH BOYS fans. In a way, I guess that we'll find out on and after 1 November 2011 when SMiLE is released, does the fans really want today's BEACH BOYS sound or the experimental BEACH BOYS sound from the 1966-67 period. Take care Joost.     

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #478 on: October 19, 2011, 09:26:31 PM »

Hi Joost! I belong to the second group all the way because I have a reason. You called it right Joost, he is a not overly talented self-centered prick who blows his horn way too much. Mike is also an arrogant egotistical narrow minded SOB that needs to be knocked on his a*s and I almost did it in 1981. When I met Mike Love for the first time in 1981, I got into a fight with him. Denny got between the both of us and broke us apart. Mike REALLY is NOT the kind of guy that you (Or anyone for that matter) would like to hang out with. If you would have met and knew Mike the way I did, I promise you that you would feel the same way I do.
Could be, but if would have to stop listening to every musician who I probably wouldn't like as a person, I'd miss out on an awful lot of great music. And in all honesty, although I really believe that he had a good heart, it's not like Dennis never gave anyone a very good reason for wanting to give him a serious beating...

May I ask how you got to meet The Beach Boys?

I'm really proud of Brian for becoming the touring musician and artist that he's become. I would have never believed that Brian would do the impossible which is tour the world in the 2000's. In my opinion, I really believe that Brian is travelling on a mental journey back in time and making the wrong right by finishing his SMiLE masterpiece. Doing this, he is finally making peace within himself.
I agree. For a guy who was written off and as good as dead thirty years ago, he's done extremely well in the last decade or so. If you would've said in 1980 that at almost 70, Brian would be touring the world, releasing really good solo albums fairly regularly and have a finished 'SMiLE' on his name, nobody would have believed it.

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #479 on: October 19, 2011, 10:22:20 PM »

Could be, but if would have to stop listening to every musician who I probably wouldn't like as a person, I'd miss out on an awful lot of great music. And in all honesty, although I really believe that he had a good heart, it's not like Dennis never gave anyone a very good reason for wanting to give him a serious beating...

May I ask how you got to meet The Beach Boys?
I agree. For a guy who was written off and as good as dead thirty years ago, he's done extremely well in the last decade or so. If you would've said in 1980 that at almost 70, Brian would be touring the world, releasing really good solo albums fairly regularly and have a finished 'SMiLE' on his name, nobody would have believed it.

Please don't get me wrong Joost, just because I dislike Mike doesn't mean that I am going to let him make me miss out on a lot of great BEACH BOYS music. I still love THE BEACH BOYS! Believe me, Denny was no saint either. Denny pi*sed off a lot of people, but he did have a good heart.

I have to shorten this story since it is a very long story. I met Denny first by accident at a party in Long Beach on my 20th "B" day which is 7 April 1981. I lived in Sacramento, California at the time and a friend (Co-worker who was a kin to Ed Roach) of mine invited me to a party at a beach house in Long Beach, California. I accepted since I wanted to meet some women at the beach.

I must confess something to you Joost, prior to driving to Long Beach, I did not know that I was going to meet Denny. I was also not a devout BEACH BOYS fan in the beginning. I've heard of THE BEACH BOYS and have heard their music but I was not a big fan of theirs prior to meeting Denny. I was a big fan of LED ZEPPELIN, THE BEATLES, THE STONES and FLEETWOOD MAC just to name a few.

At the beach house, I remember that there was a beautiful black shiny piano in the big family room. My friend introduced me to Ed and he really gave me a warm welcome. When Denny showed up, he was the center of attention at the party. Denny approached me and introduced himself to me. I shook his hand and I introduced myself to him. Denny was the nicest guy, we started talking about LED ZEPPELIN. You'll never believe this Joost but I was stupid enough to ask Denny what he did for a living. Denny then asked me "do you know who I am?" Here I am, standing there, feeling like sh*t, and I didn't know who Denny was. Denny told me that he's Dennis Wilson, drummer for THE BEACH BOYS! I swear Joost, I just didn't recognize him with the long hair and beard. In reality, I was in denial, I just didn't believe that it was Denny. I told Denny that it was my "B" day, Denny, on the spur of the moment, gave me the greatest present that any Rock star could ever give me, two beautiful women and a bag of coke! Denny told me to have a great time on him! AND BOY DID I EVER! Joost, I have so many stories to tell about Denny, especially between 1981 to 1983.

As for meeting THE BEACH BOYS, in general, I met them all after the first BEACH BOYS concert I ever saw, which is the Greek Theatre in L.A. on Friday, 17 July 1981. After the concert, my friend and Ed Roach took me to someone's house (I don't remember who's house it was) and that's where I met all of THE BEACH BOYS for the first time. It was also at this house where I got into a yelling confrontation with Mike which almost got violent. It was over a stupid f*c*ing drink! Mike wanted me to pay for it since he was convinced that I was a leach. I walked up to Mike, told him f*c* you and shoved him in his face with my hand. Then Denny would get between the both of us and break us apart. That's how I met THE BEACH BOYS!  Take care Joost.

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 42

Page created in 1.551 seconds with 72 queries.