Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 42

Author Topic: The Beach Boys  (Read 155233 times)

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
Re: The Beach Boys
« Reply #480 on: October 25, 2011, 01:45:02 PM »

That's a very interesting story, BeatlesForever, I would love to hear more of them.

I've got another Beach Boys question, that I've been asking myself without doing any research whatsoever. It's been said that Brian got into depression after he abandoned SMiLE and that he was "locked" in his bedroom for 3 years or so (I think). That means '67 - 70, right?
I'm looking right now to their 1967 album, "Wild Honey", the 1968 "Friends" and the 1969 "20/20" and they all have plenty of written songs credited to Brian and even sung by him. How come? He still kept on recording and writing? Or are they songs written before, during the "Pet Sounds" or "SMiLE" sessions?

http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #481 on: October 25, 2011, 03:12:36 PM »

I've got another Beach Boys question, that I've been asking myself without doing any research whatsoever. It's been said that Brian got into depression after he abandoned SMiLE and that he was "locked" in his bedroom for 3 years or so (I think). That means '67 - 70, right?
It's a myth that Brian locked himself up in his bedroom for three whole years. He just stayed in bed a lot, but not "full time". It's not like he wouldn't come out at all for weeks in a row. He just didn't do a whole lot. That lasted I'd say until 1982, with a brief "comeback" circa 1976-1977.

I'm looking right now to their 1967 album, "Wild Honey", the 1968 "Friends" and the 1969 "20/20" and they all have plenty of written songs credited to Brian and even sung by him. How come? He still kept on recording and writing? Or are they songs written before, during the "Pet Sounds" or "SMiLE" sessions?
From the top of my head:

Smiley Smile: mostly recycled Smile material.
Wild Honey: mostly new material with a couple of Smile bits.
Friends: all new material.
20/20: mix of older recordings (from late 1966 on), and songs recorded without Brian.
Sunflower: all new material except 'Cool Cool Water' (Smile era).
Surf's Up: title track dates back to the Smile days, rest is new material (and a couple of 'Sunflower' leftovers).
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 05:16:50 PM by Joost »

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #482 on: October 26, 2011, 01:27:38 PM »

The Smile box set and Brian's Disney album should arrive in my mailbox this Saturday or Monday.  ;yes

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #483 on: October 26, 2011, 04:19:29 PM »

Joost, have you ever considered writing a book about the Beach Boys?
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #484 on: October 26, 2011, 04:35:05 PM »

No, I haven't. There are several well-respected Beach Boys experts/writers (Andrew G. Doe, Jon Stebbins, Peter Ames Carlin, David Leaf, Domenic Priore, Brad Elliott, etc.) who each have written one or more excellent books about the bands. I don't think that there's a whole lot that I could add to the work that they've already done.

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
  • The Rock n' Roll Warrior
« Reply #485 on: October 26, 2011, 10:57:17 PM »

Hi Joost! How are you? Have you ever heard about the lyric "suck my d*c*" in the song "Catch A Wave?" I read about and heard the song many times but I can barely hear it if you listen closely. At 1:36, of the song "Catch A Wave," you should supposedly hear the lyric.

It goes like this:

So take a lesson from a top-notch surfer boy

(Catch a wave, catch a wave)

Immediately after "catch a wave" is sung the second time by Brian's falsetto vocal during the chorus, at 1:36, Mike would sing the lyric "suck my d*c*" with a low tone in the background. Do you know anything about this Joost? Take care. 

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #486 on: October 27, 2011, 02:23:45 AM »

I hear it...

Catch A Wave - The Beach Boys
I can stay till it's time to go

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #487 on: October 27, 2011, 08:45:57 PM »

I hear it...

Catch A Wave - The Beach Boys

Hi Hello Goodbye! Its mind blowing isn't it? Take care.

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #488 on: October 27, 2011, 11:08:02 PM »

That's a very interesting story, BeatlesForever, I would love to hear more of them.

Hi 5th Beatle! I'm glad that you enjoyed my meetings with Denny and THE BEACH BOYS! I will tell another soon and just in time for the holidays. Take care.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #489 on: October 28, 2011, 12:19:12 AM »

Its mind blowing isn't it?

Yeah!  I know they would talk and cough during instrumental breaks but I never knew about this!  Mike snuck that one in alright!

I've always liked how Jan and Dean reworked this song the following year into...

Sidewalk Surfin' - Jan and Dean

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #490 on: October 28, 2011, 01:11:57 AM »

Yeah!  I know they would talk and cough during instrumental breaks but I never knew about this!  Mike snuck that one in alright!

I've always liked how Jan and Dean reworked this song the following year into...

Sidewalk Surfin' - Jan and Dean

I love this song Hello Goodbye!

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #491 on: October 28, 2011, 02:05:01 AM »

I love this song Hello Goodbye!

So do I, BF.  It came out at the height of the skateboard fad in 1964.  I took a piece of plywood and sawed it into the shape of a skateboard and then separated one of my clamp-on rollerskates and nailed each half to opposite ends of the board.

Just like in Back To The Future...

Skateboard Chase Scene - Back to the Future Movie (1985) - HD

;)

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #492 on: October 28, 2011, 06:55:30 AM »

It really does sound like he's singing "Suck my d*ck", but I can hardly imagine that he really sang that. A major pop group singing something like that in 1964? It would have been a HUGE scandal if that would have come out at the time.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #493 on: October 28, 2011, 07:25:49 AM »

Guess what... He's not singing "Suck my d*ck", but "Every Saturday, boy".

*edit*

Or:
"Now take a lesson from a top-notch surfer boy (get yourself a big board)"
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 08:29:05 AM by Joost »

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #494 on: October 28, 2011, 02:00:41 PM »

It really does sound like he's singing "Suck my d*ck", but I can hardly imagine that he really sang that. A major pop group singing something like that in 1964? It would have been a HUGE scandal if that would have come out at the time.

I listened to it again last night, this time on my stereo system with headphones.  What Mike Love actually says at 1:36 is "Paul is dead."

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #495 on: October 28, 2011, 02:02:08 PM »

I listened to it again last night, this time on my stereo system with headphones.  What Mike Love actually says at 1:36 is "Paul is dead."
ha2ha

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #496 on: October 28, 2011, 03:49:16 PM »

At a press conference in 2009, Mike Love apologized to the public, the press and Paul for that remark...

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #497 on: October 28, 2011, 06:15:47 PM »

Hi Joost! I have to find the URL where I read this, I find it very hard to believe also. In the 1960's, scandals stayed pretty hushed up, look what happened during the Kennedy Assassination. I believe that the band hushed it up in order to avoid having to re-record it again. Whatever it is, its a hidden lyric with a low tone sound in the background that is heard only if you listen to it carefully. Take care. 

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #498 on: October 28, 2011, 06:19:30 PM »

So do I, BF.  It came out at the height of the skateboard fad in 1964.  I took a piece of plywood and sawed it into the shape of a skateboard and then separated one of my clamp-on rollerskates and nailed each half to opposite ends of the board.

Just like in Back To The Future...

Skateboard Chase Scene - Back to the Future Movie (1985) - HD

Hi Hello Goodbye! I can tell that you were really into skateboarding in 1964, I was only 3 years old!  ha2ha

;)

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #499 on: October 28, 2011, 06:20:51 PM »

Guess what... He's not singing "Suck my d*ck", but "Every Saturday, boy".

*edit*

Or:
"Now take a lesson from a top-notch surfer boy (get yourself a big board)"

ha2ha I guess that it can be anything Joost! Its anyone's guess!
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 42

Page created in 1.206 seconds with 77 queries.