Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Melody or lyrics first?  (Read 3138 times)

Wordno

• Getting Better
  • Fortune favors the bold
Melody or lyrics first?
« on: February 14, 2007, 04:33:45 PM »

So I've have some ideas for a song I want to write. But the problem is that I don't know what to do first, lyrics or melody. For the songwriters, which is easier for you?
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

raxo

• Sun King
Re: Melody or lyrics first?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 08:43:12 PM »

I use to write lyrics first: it's easier for me to search a melody to fit certain mood if I know what the lyrics say ... I can't stand those uptempo songs with sad lyrics talking about the misery of the singer!  :X

The melody is the hard part, when I haven't got enough syllables to certain phrase I use oh's in the first approach and fill the blanks after that  ;D ...

I know that some people can't work like this, I've written lyrics to demos with just "vowel movement" (so Rolling Stones call it) and it's easy if you've got freedom to write about anything you want but it's not the way I work ... try once and twice and then you'll see how to do it better :) ... you won't find a magic rule! :-/

Revolution

• Getting Better
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 06:01:25 PM »

I Always write Lyrics, then try to come up with the rest.

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 07:58:20 PM »

I almost always start with the music first and sing old lyrics to it  - I change them later! But there are a few songs of mine where I have written the lyrics first... such as this: http://www.geocities.com/the_end_gb/liverpool.htm

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 10:08:43 PM »

I always write lyrics first, since I am crap at writing melodies.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Indica

• A Thousand Pages
  • Getting into the Herbal Jazz
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2007, 09:45:39 AM »

We have about 6 or 7 instrumentals!!! :(
Whats the matter lads? Blue Meanies?

BlueMeanie

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2007, 10:54:40 AM »

I'm not a songwriter, but doesn't it just happen? I mean, if a tune comes into your head first then get it down. Or if the lyrics come first, do that. You can always alter both to make them fit in.

Or am I being too naive?

I write fiction. Sometimes I have a definate idea of where it's going and other times I just go where it takes me. Sometimes there's a title, and a structure, and others not. It really depends on what comes out.

somedude210

• A Thousand Pages
  • Insanity is just a state of mind
    • Coughlin Computers
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2007, 08:02:15 PM »

i write lyrics first, mainly cause i dont have a band to do melodies
«if asking, begging and pleading doesn't work, always go with a song and dance number.» ;D
In need of a computer? visit Coughlin Computers http://coughlincomputers.tripod.com

Revolution

• Getting Better
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2007, 05:35:50 AM »

Quote from: 483
I'm not a songwriter, but doesn't it just happen? I mean, if a tune comes into your head first then get it down. Or if the lyrics come first, do that. You can always alter both to make them fit in.

Or am I being too naive?

I write fiction. Sometimes I have a definate idea of where it's going and other times I just go where it takes me. Sometimes there's a title, and a structure, and others not. It really depends on what comes out.

I also Love to write. Too many ideas written down,started , etc............. >:(

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2007, 08:04:03 AM »

I usually can't write the lyrics first. I might have an idea, but generally the lyrics and chords come together. I literally play with a sheet of paper, and keep stopping/starting to write, cross out, revise, etc. Once I get the basic structure, I can often write the second, third verses, but I have to develop them together. The music sets the mood (but I'm not a very good musician, so this is probably because I can't write appropriate music unless I have it at creation time).

I also write fiction! I love it. I'm always fine as long as I have my last line. To me, that's the anchor.
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2007, 12:36:15 PM »

Quote from: 551
I also write fiction! I love it. I'm always fine as long as I have my last line. To me, that's the anchor.

Me too! After a long hiatus (several decades) I'm trying to write again (want to try and get published b4 I die.) I have the beginning and the last line, but the middle is a mystery until it happens. Thanks harihead - that gives me hope.,
don't follow leaders

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2007, 12:38:52 PM »

Quote from: 593

I also Love to write. Too many ideas written down,started , etc............. >:(

I've found the trick that works for me is (like most things) is to do a little each day. Even if it's only a line. Just don't let yourself dryup.
don't follow leaders

Revolution

• Getting Better
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2007, 05:23:33 PM »

Quote from: 185

I've found the trick that works for me is (like most things) is to do alittle each day. Even if it's only a line. Just don't let yourself dryup.

Thanx for the advice!!!!!!! :)

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2007, 07:03:59 PM »

Quote from: 185
I have the beginning and the last line, but the middle is a mystery until it happens. Thanks harihead - that gives me hope.,

There's an exercise people do in improvisational comedy that reminds me of writing. The mentor arranges the various participants in weird, convoluted postures. The goal is to create a 2-minute skit where, without it being a dance or a fight, the people end up in this weird posture. They ALWAYS get there-- and come up with some very creative imaginings along the way. If you know where you're going, you can reach the end. (The same philosophy, alternatively phrased, of George's "Any Road".)  :)
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

somedude210

• A Thousand Pages
  • Insanity is just a state of mind
    • Coughlin Computers
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2007, 09:45:39 PM »

i also write poems, fiction, screenplays

i dont think ill be a writer :P
«if asking, begging and pleading doesn't work, always go with a song and dance number.» ;D
In need of a computer? visit Coughlin Computers http://coughlincomputers.tripod.com

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2009, 06:10:13 AM »

It seems like a lot of people write both together, with one feeding the other.  I seem to remember reading McCartney saying that the lyrics All My Lovin' was written out first, but that was exceptional.

FourMiles

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2009, 02:17:30 PM »

For me, at least 90% of the time it's melody first. The words come after and songs don't have to tell you a story from start to finish... it can be series of short stories. But this is my opinion only. There is no right or one way to write a song... creativity is what's all about.

Page created in 0.321 seconds with 77 queries.