Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Big name groups you never got into.  (Read 1574 times)

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
Big name groups you never got into.
« on: September 22, 2021, 11:39:32 AM »

Pink Floyd
The Who
Bon Jovi
Led Zeppelin
Oasis
AC DC
Kevin

All You Need Is Love
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
Re: Big name groups you never got into.
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2021, 12:53:04 PM »

With you on Bon Jovi and Oasis. AC/DC I liked enough in their early years to keep them off my list. I have a sentimental attachment to the video clip for Jailbreak.

I’d add Foreigner, Coldplay, Aerosmith, Kiss and Guns n Roses. Something about those bands just never induced me to want to buy anything of theirs.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2021, 03:05:28 PM »

I’d add Foreigner, Coldplay, Aerosmith, Kiss and Guns n Roses.

Those would be on my list, too, as well as the following:

U2
The Rolling Stones
Pink Floyd
The Eagles
Fleetwood Mac
Creedence Clearwater Revival
The Grateful Dead

And if solo acts are eligible, I'd add Billy Joel and Bruce Springsteen.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 03:52:07 PM by Normandie »

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2021, 05:42:32 PM »

Eagles
Springsteen
CCR
ZZ Top
Aerosmith
Van Halen
AC/DC
Seger

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2021, 09:56:24 PM »

With a few exceptions, just about every group that formed after 1970.

That's what happens when you experience the 60s as a teenager.   :)
I can stay till it's time to go

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2021, 10:14:24 AM »

Those would be on my list, too, as well as the following:

U2
The Rolling Stones
Pink Floyd
The Eagles
Fleetwood Mac
Creedence Clearwater Revival
The Grateful Dead

And if solo acts are eligible, I'd add Billy Joel and Bruce Springsteen.

Definitely Grateful Dead. Since I actually bought a Springsteen and Billy Joel album I don’t think I can claim to have never been into them at all. But they didn’t hold sustained interest for me.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2021, 01:30:58 PM »

With a few exceptions, just about every group that formed after 1970.

That's what happens when you experience the 60s as a teenager.   :)
Let me guess...

Traveling Wilburys
ELO
Wings  ;D
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2021, 04:44:58 PM »

I'm shocked by some of the mentions in here.

Maybe, maybe it is the definition of "never got into" ??

i.e. The Rolling Stones - I  never got into them BUT I respect and like a lot in the catalogue - I just cannot listen to more than a couple songs back to back before needing a break.  Do the Stones make it to my "never got into" list even though I like many songs?

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2021, 05:48:11 PM »

i.e. The Rolling Stones - I  never got into them BUT I respect and like a lot in the catalogue - I just cannot listen to more than a couple songs back to back before needing a break.  Do the Stones make it to my "never got into" list even though I like many songs?

You read my mind, blmeanie. That right there is my definition of "never got into." That said, I'm not going to apologize for not being a fan of the Rolling Stones. I have several songs by them, as well as others I listed (e.g., Billy Joel), on my playlist. I respect their musicianship and catalogues a great deal; I simply don't have the level of fandom (fervor? I can't think of the best word) for them that I do for other artists. 

« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 07:02:01 PM by Normandie »

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2021, 06:15:10 PM »

I'm shocked by some of the mentions in here.

Maybe, maybe it is the definition of "never got into" ??

It is a vague definition.  If you like many songs from a band, I doubt they should fall into the category.  I like the entire 'Long Run' album by the Eagles but despise the rest of their catalog so they probably dont belong on the list.

Out of the ones I posted -

Springsteen - I like one song he's ever done (Trapped and its a live tune) and hate everything else.  When I hear or see him he just reminds me of somebody trying to sing thats super constipated.

CCR - Same as above with Fogertys voice.   I like 'Sweet Hitchhiker' and thats about it from them.  I guess I can tolerate them, but I just dont like them.

ZZ Top - Cant do them.  Everything sounds too much the same and they give me heartburn when I hear them if thats even possible.

Aerosmith - Hate Tylers whiny voice and they are a band that just never did anything that impressed me.  The older I get, the more I dislike them.  I used to like 'Kings and Queens' because I felt I needed to like at least something from them, but I really cant do that song anymore either.

Van Halen - I like songs from them so they probably dont belong on this list.  Lets just say a little of them goes a long way.

AC/DC - I'll never understand the appeal.  A band thats made a living releasing the same album over and over again.  Three and four chord songs that any high school garage band can duplicate with a singer thats constantly screaming at you.  No thanks.

Bob Seger - I've actually left bars and parties because people have put him on.  I'll send sexist here, but I always felt Seger was milquetoast rock and roll that only girls could like.  I can tolerate one song and its actually two tunes put together - live version of 'Beautiful Loser/Travelin Man and thats it.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2021, 06:51:52 PM »

Definitely Grateful Dead. Since I actually bought a Springsteen and Billy Joel album I don’t think I can claim to have never been into them at all. But they didn’t hold sustained interest for me.

I missed this post somehow, probably 'cause I was rushing!

OK, to revise my interpretation of "never got into" on the basis of the way this thread is headed, I guess I should scratch the Rolling Stones and Billy Joel off my own list, given that, back in the old vinyl days, I did buy some of their LPs and, as I mentioned, they have a presence on my Napster playlist. To co-opt Todd's comment on Van Halen, a little of them goes a long way. So I suppose that was my criterion for the artists on my list.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 07:01:40 PM by Normandie »

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2021, 09:08:10 PM »

Let me guess...

Traveling Wilburys
ELO
Wings  ;D

Right, Kev.  You know me well and how I think.   :)

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2021, 09:27:03 PM »

Yep my definition of this was just a band that never interested me enough to buy a single or album despite them being around a lot and popular. Even if I’d bought one thing I didn’t put them on. It’s not a dig at the bands or anyone for liking them. It’s just interesting what appeals and what doesn't for different reasons.

Having seen some other suggestions I can add a couple more

Van Halen
Bob Seger

I never shelled out for anything by CCR or ZZ Top either. But I liked a few of each bands singles so wouldn’t include them.

I used to really like U2. Saw them in concert in the mid 80s. My interest dropped off after Joshua Tree but they still did some good tunes after that.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2021, 09:28:35 PM »

Let me guess...

Traveling Wilburys
ELO
Wings  ;D

A quick read of the thread I thought someone had put these three bands as their nominations. That would almost be forum expulsion I think  ha2ha

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2021, 10:01:39 PM »

A quick read of the thread I thought someone had put these three bands as their nominations. That would almost be forum expulsion I think  ha2ha

Right Moog.  Those are three exceptions to my "every group that formed after 1970" rule.  :)   I'm sure you can follow Kev's reasoning.

I guess another exception would be Blondie.  That happened when I saw American Gigolo when it was first released (a great crime thriller, by the way)...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HS-L4UAmuFI" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HS-L4UAmuFI</a>

...I liked the title sequence song, the vocal and that driving drumming beat.  Deborah Harry and Clem Burke really made that group!

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2021, 10:24:46 PM »

Blondie were great  icon_good

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2021, 10:34:18 PM »

AC/DC - I'll never understand the appeal.  A band thats made a living releasing the same album over and over again.  Three and four chord songs that any high school garage band can duplicate with a singer thats constantly screaming at you.  No thanks.

This is going to sound a bit like one of those “they were better when…” posts, but I think AC/DC had some self aware humour in the early days with Bon Scott as lead singer. They didn’t seem to take themselves too seriously. Once they got globally huge after Scott’s death they have, as you say, pretty much just repeated the same album over and over. This was a lesson drummed into them by their early producers/ writers, Vanda and Young. These guys were the writers in the Easybeats and they believed they cruelled their chances for sustained success after Friday on My Mind by being too varied in the type of material they released. It’s a lesson AC/DC have taken very much to heart.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2021, 10:54:55 PM »

I never shelled out for anything by CCR or ZZ Top either. But I liked a few of each bands singles so wouldn’t include them.

I think I'm getting too tied up in semantics here, but if liking a few singles from a band precludes them from one's list, then . . . I'd likely have to revise my list, at least in part.  ???

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2021, 11:08:26 PM »

^^^^^

I'm reminded of a t-shirt I saw online a few months back that read "Hold On: Let Me Overthink This a Minute"   ha2ha

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2021, 11:09:36 PM »

I think I'm getting too tied up in semantics here, but if liking a few singles from a band precludes them from one's list, then . . . I'd likely have to revise my list, at least in part.  ???

That’s just how I interpreted it. I think it’s valid to say you could like a few things by a band but just not get into them much more than that. I just like things black and white  ;D
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.808 seconds with 78 queries.