Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: "Obscure" Beatles songs  (Read 1459 times)

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
"Obscure" Beatles songs
« on: March 15, 2021, 12:36:09 AM »

Just stumbed across a site that listed some "obscure" Beatles songs:

~Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey

~Being For the Benefit of Mr. Kite!

~Maxwell's Silver Hammer

~I'm a Loser

~Polythene Pam

~You Know My Name (Look Up the Number)

Amazingly, several of the 19 comments said something to the effect of "I've never heard of any of these." Which, to me—and, I'd wager, a lot of the members here—is unfathomable.

That's a lot of exquisite music not being appreciated.  :(  I can only hope some of those folks went and gave one or more of the songs a listen. 

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
Re: "Obscure" Beatles songs
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2021, 03:54:15 AM »

I can understand You Know my Name but it seems odd that random songs off albums are considered obscure. Why not the other tracks that weren’t singles or tracks that get much classic rock radio play? ???

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2021, 08:59:20 AM »

I can understand You Know my Name but it seems odd that random songs off albums are considered obscure.

That's what I thought. With the exception of You Know My Name and I'm a Loser, all the rest are from what I thought were considered must-read albums for any music listener, not just Beatles fans.  roll:)

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2021, 10:55:49 AM »

I agree on "you know my name", the others weren't heard by whomever was posting just because they weren't fans

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2021, 11:01:38 AM »

I agree on "you know my name", the others weren't heard by whomever was posting just because they weren't fans

Odd if you’re not at least some level of fan to designate songs obscure. Like me referring to some Taylor Swift songs as obscure simply because I’ve never listened to one of her albums.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2021, 02:28:38 PM »

I didn't grow up during the 60s or early 70s (well, I did, but I was a toddler), but it was my impression that virtually everyone at some point had a copy of Sergeant Pepper, Abbey Road, and the White Album.

I'm striking my comment because it is too generation specific. Not sure what I was thinking in posting that. Not enough coffee yet I guess.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 02:43:31 PM by Normandie »

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2021, 04:22:53 PM »

Odd if you’re not at least some level of fan to designate songs obscure. Like me referring to some Taylor Swift songs as obscure simply because I’ve never listened to one of her albums.

yeah, I get that point of view.  As a beatle fan, you know my name was one of the later songs I came to hear

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2021, 08:12:16 PM »

As a teenage fan in the 70s, and, as the only way to hear Beatles was to hear them on the radio or buy the albums available in the store in your country, I’d say my main “obscure” songs were:

You Know My Name
The Inner Light
Don’t Let Me Down
Old Brown Shoe
Slow Down
Bad Boy
I Feel Fine
Rain

This was because these were either single only or on US albums. So being in Australia we simply didn’t hear these unless we’d bought the specific singles and Bad Boy was, I think, only on the almost forgotten Collection of Beatle oldies. Once I got the Blue album and US albums in my mid to late teens it meant only the first two remained unknown until the rarities albums.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 08:26:31 PM by Moogmodule »

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2021, 09:16:09 AM »

I've been trying to think of what my own "obscure" songs would be, but it's really difficult for me to take the point of view of someone who's not a fan. I'll have to take some time and give it more thought.

Page created in 1.187 seconds with 51 queries.