Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Fourteen children, one adult killed by school shooter  (Read 1073 times)

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
Fourteen children, one adult killed by school shooter
« on: May 24, 2022, 09:51:49 PM »

This makes me heartsick.  :'(  :'(  :'(

https://www.foxnews.com/us/uvalde-texas-robb-elementary-school-active-shooter

And most of the commenters are dragging politics into it.

This is such an unhappy country.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2022, 10:01:10 PM by Normandie »

Dmitry

• Administrator
  • A Thousand Pages
    • www.murashev.com
Re: Fourteen children, one adult killed by school shooter
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2022, 06:14:32 AM »

Poor children  :'(
Why is this happening? Too many crazy shooters? Once a year this happens somewhere in Russia, but I have hear about many shootings in the USA.

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2022, 08:08:19 AM »

Are guns as freely available in Russia as in the US?

A lot of these attacks seem to be aimed at US schools. Is there a specific US education problem here?

Dmitry

• Administrator
  • A Thousand Pages
    • www.murashev.com
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2022, 12:42:07 PM »

Are guns as freely available in Russia as in the US?

No, they are not. A teenager can take a gun from his father who is a hunter or serves somewhere, for example, in the police, and who does not hide weapons well from children.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2022, 01:16:50 PM »

A lot of these attacks seem to be aimed at US schools. Is there a specific US education problem here?

I myself do not know. I've been wondering the same thing, that is, why so many shootings at schools?

My daughters, who attended public schools, used to have to partake in "active shooter" drills, which they and their peers found very stressful. One of the components was that in the case of an active shooter all classroom doors were to be immediately locked and nobody let in, which means that if a shooting starteed while a student was in the hallway (e.g., at a locker or on the way to the restroom or another class) they were SOL.  :(
« Last Edit: May 25, 2022, 01:24:18 PM by Normandie »

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2022, 04:33:25 PM »

schools are traditionally undefended, so easy targets for...wait for it...the mentally ill that have weapons

I am no guns rights person, at all, raised in Massachusetts and liberal.  However, I think the larger issue is mental health.  Those that might become active shooters, don't have the necessary filters or understanding of the big picture in life.

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2022, 09:04:42 PM »

I am no guns rights person, at all, raised in Massachusetts and liberal.  However, I think the larger issue is mental health.  Those that might become active shooters, don't have the necessary filters or understanding of the big picture in life.

Mentally ill people exist in every country in the world.

Only in the US can mentally ill people go into a store and buy mulitiple weapons to kill as effectively as their deranged minds desire.

So the problem is not mental health but the easy availability of guns in the US.

Did the founding fathers really want to authorise people to go into schools and massacre as many children as possible with guns that didn't even exist at the time?

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2022, 11:21:39 PM »

Did the founding fathers really want to authorise people to go into schools and massacre as many children as possible with guns that didn't even exist at the time?

Of course not.

By the way, guns did exist in the when this country was founded.  "The right to bear arms" clause in the Constitution has been debated in more recent times as to its relevancy and might need to be amended.

Mentally ill people exist in every country in the world.

Only in the US can mentally ill people go into a store and buy mulitiple weapons to kill as effectively as their deranged minds desire.

So the problem is not mental health but the easy availability of guns in the US.

Right.  And background checks by gun dealers which, in some cases, are not thorough.  In many mass shootings and even solitary assaults, the assailant left a trail of social media posts which signaled the impending assault.
I can stay till it's time to go

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2022, 08:27:24 AM »

By the way, guns did exist in the when this country was founded.  "The right to bear arms" clause in the Constitution has been debated in more recent times as to its relevancy and might need to be amended.

The type of gun used in this massacre did not exist when the right to bear arms was formulated.

He used something akin to what you see in the photo.

Amazingly, after this type of massacre, sales of these arms usually increase.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2022, 10:59:49 AM »

Sadly I don't think the gun culture in America will ever change.

In 2021 nearly 2 mass shootings every day.

Kevin

All You Need Is Love

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2022, 05:07:58 PM »

do you know the definition of "mass shooting" - in some places the definition is different.  Is it intent?  # of victims?

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2022, 07:29:23 PM »

do you know the definition of "mass shooting" - in some places the definition is different.  Is it intent?  # of victims?

No of victims
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2022, 09:30:45 PM »

The type of gun used in this massacre did not exist when the right to bear arms was formulated.

He used something akin to what you see in the photo.

Amazingly, after this type of massacre, sales of these arms usually increase.

Yes, I know that type of gun did not exist in 1791, zipp.  You're missing the point I was making in my entire post you quoted.

The Second Amendment to the US Constitution states:  “A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.”

There have been a few Supreme Court interpretations of the Second Amendment none of which are relevant to the current problem we're discussing.  I expressed my feeling that a new and contemporary amendment be added to the Bill of Rights to replace what was written 231 years ago.

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2022, 10:10:14 PM »

The Second Amendment to the US Constitution states:  “A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.”
...  I expressed my feeling that a new and contemporary amendment be added to the Bill of Rights to replace what was written 231 years ago.

I don't think you should change the Second Amendment.

You just need to add this:

"A well regulated Militia doesn not include an individual terrorising state institutions by massacring innocent victims. Such an individaul should be prevented from being provided with weapons. Any person or company having provided such a person with weapons will be deemed entirely responsible for aiding and abetting a murderer, and hence face financial and penal sanctions so severe as to ensure the future protection of a free State".

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2022, 01:38:36 AM »

^

I wish it were that easy.

Tamara

• A Beginning
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2022, 12:37:08 PM »

Page created in 0.749 seconds with 67 queries.