Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Paul's New Carbon Footprint  (Read 1254 times)

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
Paul's New Carbon Footprint
« on: May 14, 2008, 03:58:09 AM »

Fans of dead obvious irony may enjoy this:   ;D

Paul McCartney 'horrified' as his eco car is flown 7,000 miles from Japan
By Rob Davies
Last Updated: 12:33PM BST 13/05/2008

Sir Paul McCartney is said to be "horrified" that his new eco-friendly car was flown 7,000 miles from Japan.

The Lexus LS600H, which costs £84,000, was a gift from Lexus to the 65-year-old former Beatle, who helped promote the hybrid vehicle.

But instead of arriving by boat as expected, the car was flown to Britain on a Korean Air flight, creating a carbon footprint almost 100 times bigger than if it had come by sea.

Sir Paul is a vocal advocate of vegetarianism and has long been a poster child for environmental activism.

His 6-year marriage to Heather Mills, with whom he campaigned against seal culling, came to an end yesterday after their divorce was finalised in the High Court.

A source is reported to have said: "Paul was offered a Lexus as a gift and ordered the hybrid limo because it helps to reduce emissions.

"He'll be horrified after learning it was delivered by plane. Paul has always campaigned for green issues and he can

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
Re: Paul's New Carbon Footprint
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 04:22:39 AM »

So is he horrified, is he going to be horrified, or was he caught being horrified? And do we even care? I think Paul needs to stay away from anything political. It doesn't suit him. He has to be the least affective activist ever.

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 05:39:47 AM »

This one's not even his fault; he was just taking a freebie from an auto company full of brain deads. Poor guy.  (laugh2)

Taxgirl

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 10:07:17 AM »

I'll gladly help Lexus to promote their cars. They can deliver me a car too. I won't be horrified!  ;D

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 10:45:48 AM »

Sorry but HAHAHA that is really funny.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 12:30:15 PM »

Quote from: 356
I'll gladly help Lexus to promote their cars. They can deliver me a car too. I won't be horrified!  ;D

They can even deliver mine by plane if they want to. I'm not easily horrified.  ;D

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 02:02:19 PM »

Now, I'm going to come down on Paul's side in this. Yes, he did the rock star thing and accepted (we can assume "yet another") free car. But he's had his awareness raised to the point of where he was annoyed (I think "horrified" is a bit strong) that the stupid people sent his eco-limo (have a bone, guilty conscious!) by plane-- because Paul is, after all, a  superstar, and they didn't want to keep him waiting.

This might actually do some good, sometime, somewhen, if he ever does get his environmental act together. Bill Gates was a charity embarrassment, all those millions, later billions, and he still had the engineer mentality of some guy in his garage making stuff. ("There's a world out there? Never mind, can we make our connection .08% faster?") It wasn't until he married that his wife said, "Honey, there's a world outside the lab, you know" and Bill said, "OMG!!! People are dying out there! Let's cure tuberculosis." And became the biggest private funder on Earth.

So you never know. I don't think Paul is a bad or callous person; from what I know of him, his commitment to his kids alone is going to influence him into not leaving them a total wreck of a planet. So good on you, Paul. Let's see if this incident sparks more awareness and perhaps some effective action down the road.

All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2008, 07:49:16 PM »

... and when he's finished sorting out the Lexus, the kangaroos will be waiting:

Protesters fight roo cull as human shields

By Peter Jean
May 19, 2008 03:00am

ANIMAL liberationists are threatening to act as human shields to prevent a kangaroo cull on military land.

Killing pens and refrigerated trucks were in place yesterday at a former navy transmission station in Canberra, ahead of the planned culling of about 400 kangaroos over the next few days.

The cull will be carried out to protect rare grasslands and plants and the threatened perunga grasshopper and golden sun moth.

The kangaroos will be stunned with tranquilliser darts and then given lethal injections.

The cull has earned the ire of international vegetarian group Viva! (Vegetarians International Voice for Animals) and its celebrity backers, including Sir Paul McCartney.

Animal Liberation spokesman Bernard Brennan said yesterday that protesters, who were heading to Canberra from Melbourne, Sydney and Queensland, were willing to act as human shields to protect the kangaroos.

"We're talking about professional people and housewives," he said.

"We're talking about lovely ladies in their 50s and 60s who haven't been very (politically) active in their lives, and now they're talking about walking out in front of dart guns."

About 200 kangaroos will be spared and allowed to remain on the site.

The Defence Department considered relocating kangaroos to another site but said the estimated $3.5 million cost was too expensive.

But protesters believe culling will be almost as costly.

Studies carried out for the ACT Government recommended against relocation because of the potential distress it could cause kangaroos.

The timing of the culling operation is likely to be dependent on the weather because dart weapons lose accuracy in windy conditions.

Canberra police have forbidden the use of firearms during the cull because the site is close to homes.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23720894-421,00.html

Page created in 0.305 seconds with 56 queries.