Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: 'Hey Jude' - The Album  (Read 15057 times)

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
Re: 'Hey Jude' - The Album
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2022, 10:49:44 AM »

A friend had the vinyl of this, great collection of songs
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2022, 11:15:22 AM »

Well of course they’re all good songs. It’s the Beatles after all.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2022, 01:11:15 AM »

Is the Hey Jude album the most bizarre compilation the Beatles ever released?

I would say so. I hadn't been aware of this album. It's a very, um, eclectic lineup. Actually, your original word, bizarre, is the best descriptor.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2022, 01:34:10 AM »

I have the Hey Jude LP but it's an early pressing and labeled The Beatles Again.  It was a release much like Past Masters later on.  We had no YouTube in 1970 and if Beatles songs were not on LPs, the only way to hear them was if they were played on the radio or if we had an old 45.  With the release of Hey Jude we were finally able to hear those songs whenever we wished.  I knew it was an odd compilation of songs that stretched over several years but I didn't care and was happy I bought the LP.
I can stay till it's time to go

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2022, 01:43:00 AM »

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2022, 10:22:11 AM »

It makes sense as a collection of non album tracks. It’s odd I Should Have Known Better and Can’t Buy Me Love hadn’t made it to a Capitol album til then.  Capitol grabbed pretty much everything to put on albums prior to Sgt Pepper.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2022, 05:29:00 PM »

I have the Hey Jude LP but it's an early pressing and labeled The Beatles Again. 

I personally don't care for either of those titles. I imagine they went with "Hey Jude" because of all the songs on the disc it's likely the most commercially well known.

Seems like this release would be a good one for someone who has never heard the Beatles, or hasn't listened to them much. It's certainly diverse.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2022, 09:15:40 PM »

I personally don't care for either of those titles. I imagine they went with "Hey Jude" because of all the songs on the disc it's likely the most commercially well known.

Seems like this release would be a good one for someone who has never heard the Beatles, or hasn't listened to them much. It's certainly diverse.

Remember, The Beatles Again LP was released in February 1970.  With no internet at that time, many of us weren't aware of The Beatles breaking up with the exception of those reading the various fan magazines.  The initial name of the LP was a good marketing ploy.  Even better was the name change to "Hey Jude" as this was the only way to hear the STEREO mix of Hey Jude.  The song was recorded on the 8-Track studio recorder but the 45 from late 1968 was in MONO.

I was happy to buy The Beatles Again LP and hear Hey Jude in STEREO.  I'm even happier today that I have the original pressing labeled The Beatles Again as it's somewhat of a rare find today.  As far as the songs on the LP, I mostly listened to Hey Jude, Paperback Writer, Rain, and Lady Madonna.

In February 1970 we had no idea that there would be one more Beatles album released.  Of course that LP was Let It Be.  By then we all knew that the band was history.

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2022, 10:17:55 PM »

I think Hey Jude works well as an album. It's pretty mich chronological and the tracks go well together. It has a balanced mix of songs. Paul has 4, John has 5 and George has 1.

For me the most unpalatable Beatles collection is The Beatle Ballads.

This one is all over the place, for example: Norwegian Wood - Do You Want to Know a Secret - For No One ... in that order.

The ten songs on side two are two George songs and eight Paul songs. Not a single John song in there.

In fact John has only four songs out of the album's twenty.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2022, 07:51:35 AM by zipp »

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2022, 01:19:11 AM »

I personally don't care for either of those titles.

Perhaps The Beatles didn't either.  But you have to remember who was managing The Beatles at that time...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RY4psuv3oFA" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RY4psuv3oFA</a>

;D

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2022, 03:49:52 AM »

I think Hey Jude works well as an album. It's pretty mich chronological and the tracks go well together. It has a balanced mix of songs. Paul has 4, John has 5 and George has 1.

For me the most unpalatable Beatles collection is The Beatle Ballads.

This one is all over the place, for example: Norwegian Wood - Do You Want to Know a Secret - For No One ...

The ten songs on side two are two George songs and eight Paul songs. Not a single John song in there.

In fact John has only four songs out of the album's twenty.

I’d forgotten that one. The Beatles hated that one as well I recall.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2022, 09:57:43 PM »

I had to do a search on what, exactly, consitutes a ballad and have found a lot of interesting material. So much to learn, still, and I genuinely love to learn about music.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2022, 10:07:34 PM »

I had to do a search on what, exactly, consitutes a ballad and have found a lot of interesting material. So much to learn, still, and I genuinely love to learn about music.

I’m not sure they took a rigorous approach to what was or wasn’t a ballad. They just seem to pick softer, slower tunes (mostly). It could have simply been titled Beatles Soft and Slow. That might have opened up some crude  potential titles for the Rock and Roll album though.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2022, 10:50:18 PM by Moogmodule »

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2022, 10:10:17 PM »

For this Beatle compilation, ballad just has the modern meaning of romantic love song.

Historically ballads were story songs often based on specific characters.

The Beatles came nearest to this form with Rocky Raccoon and, of course, the Ballad of John and Yoko.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2022, 04:46:16 AM »

^

C'est ça

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2022, 11:25:20 AM »

I’m not sure they took a rigorous approach to what was or wasn’t a ballad.

For this Beatle compilation, ballad just has the modern meaning of romantic love song.

I guess I was overthinking the whole "ballad" thing.

It could have simply been titled Beatles Soft and Slow. That might have opened up some crude potential titles for the Rock and Roll album though.

ha2ha  Thanks for that. Now I'll probably have potential titles running through my head all morning.
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.52 seconds with 67 queries.