Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 42

Author Topic: The Beach Boys  (Read 155069 times)

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
  • The Rock n' Roll Warrior
Re: The Beach Boys
« Reply #320 on: August 01, 2011, 09:21:35 PM »

My view:

I think that around 1967 their fanbase pretty much vanished rather than changed (only in the US though, in Europe their popularity remained fairly constant until will into the 70s). 'Friends' (1968) and 'Sunflower' (1970) are now universally regarded as two of the band's best albums, but at the time they didn't even come close to the Billboard Album Top 100. Almost all their late 60s and early 70s singles missed the charts. And the band played concerts for as little as 300 people. The Beach Boys were still playing Fun Fun Fun and Little Deuce Coupe in their identical striped shirts when Hendrix, the Death and Dylan were already at their top, so despite Pet Sounds and Good Vibrations the Beach Boys were quickly regarded as irrelevant has-beens. That didn't really change until the first wave of early 60s nostalgia in the mid 70s.

How's it going Joost? We pretty much summed up that topic. Thank God that Capitol Records released The Beach Boys' Endless Summer (1974) and Spirit of America (1975) Greatest Hits compilation albums, it resurrected The Beach Boys' career. Take care.

Bobber

« Reply #321 on: August 02, 2011, 07:16:16 AM »

Thanks for the info.

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #322 on: August 02, 2011, 12:47:45 PM »

Thanks for the info.

Hi Bobber! How are you? I hope all is well with you. You're very welcome. Take care.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #323 on: August 02, 2011, 05:46:15 PM »

How's it going Joost? We pretty much summed up that topic. Thank God that Capitol Records released The Beach Boys' Endless Summer (1974) and Spirit of America (1975) Greatest Hits compilation albums, it resurrected The Beach Boys' career. Take care.

Doing great, how about you?

I think those compilations were a blessing and a curse at the same time. A blessing because it made them popular again. A curse because it proved what Mike Love had been saying all along: people weren't interested in hearing The Beach Boys making progress and doing new things, they just wanted the old sun & fun hits. Up until 'Endless Summer' came out, The Beach Boys were still making excellent albums, but after that they went drastically downhill creatively and artistically.

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #324 on: August 02, 2011, 06:55:29 PM »

Doing great, how about you?

I think those compilations were a blessing and a curse at the same time. A blessing because it made them popular again. A curse because it proved what Mike Love had been saying all along: people weren't interested in hearing The Beach Boys making progress and doing new things, they just wanted the old sun & fun hits. Up until 'Endless Summer' came out, The Beach Boys were still making excellent albums, but after that they went drastically downhill creatively and artistically.

Hi Joost! I'm doing great, I'm just about to finish lunch. Its tough being a manager. Its really interesting how you mentioned that it was a curse because it proved what Mike Love had been saying all along: people weren't interested in hearing The Beach Boys making progress and doing new things, people just wanted to hear the old sun & fun hits. I'd like to say something different. Actually, people (Fans) and the music critics were interested in The Beach Boys making progress and doing new things such as Brian experimenting in the studio with new sounds like he did with Pet Sounds, Good Vibrations and the unreleased SMiLE album. The truth here Joost is that Mike Love was NOT in favor of Brian experimenting in the studio and/or releasing the Pet Sounds album as well as the Good Vibrations single. Mike Love hated SMiLE, Mike Love did not want Brian to mess with or alter The Beach Boys trademark "surf sound" music formula. Mike Love was one of the main reasons why Brian gave up his musical creativity in the studio thus halting any chances of The Beach Boys making any progress with different music sounds in the recording studio. The other reasons were the label (Capitol Records which hated both Pet Sounds and SMiLE), Carl Wilson (Brian's Brother) and Murry Wilson (Brian's Father). Both Murry and Carl, other than Mike, were against the SMiLE project as was Capitol Records. Rather than fight them all, Brian just abandoned the SMiLE project all together. If The Beach Boys got stuck and labeled as an Oldies surf band, Mike Love was one of the many reasons why. Take care.             
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 06:57:59 PM by BeatlesForever »

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #325 on: August 02, 2011, 08:17:53 PM »

Although I hate to say it, I think that Mike Love was in fact right - the people didn't want The Beach Boys to make progress and do new things. 'Pet Sounds' sold worse than the last six albums that The Beach Boys released before it. 'Heroes and Villains' was relatively a flop, going to just #12. I'm afraid that 'SMiLE' wouldn't have been a big commercial success either. Everything new that The Beach Boys tried after 1967 was by definition commercially unsuccesful.

Every hit they scored after 1967 was either a retro song trying to recreate the old sound (Do It Again, It's OK, Good Timin', Getcha Back), a cover of an oldie (I Can Hear Music, Rock & Roll Music, Come Go With Me, Wipe Out), a piece of musical plastic (Kokomo) or a re-release of older material (like the Endless Summer and Spirit of America compilations). Brilliant albums like 'Wild Honey', 'Sunflower', 'Holland' and 'Friends' all flopped. Brilliant singles like 'Friends', 'Break Away', 'Long Promised Road' and 'Surf's Up' flopped.

I agree completely with what you write about Mike Love. He didn't want progress, he wanted to stick to the formula. To this day, he himself won't even try to deny that.

I think that The Beach Boys in the mid 70s had two options. One: continuing as a cult band, making excellent new and progressive albums for a relatively small audience. Two: giving up on that and becoming a flesh-made oldies jukebox. The Wilsons wanted to go in the first direction, Mike Love (and probably Al Jardine and Bruce Johnston too) wanted to go in the second direction. By making Endess Summer and Spirit Of America so hugely successful, the American public basically voted for Mike.

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #326 on: August 02, 2011, 09:05:43 PM »

Although I hate to say it, I think that Mike Love was in fact right - the people didn't want The Beach Boys to make progress and do new things. 'Pet Sounds' sold worse than the last six albums that The Beach Boys released before it. 'Heroes and Villains' was relatively a flop, going to just #12. I'm afraid that 'SMiLE' wouldn't have been a big commercial success either. Everything new that The Beach Boys tried after 1967 was by definition commercially unsuccesful.

Every hit they scored after 1967 was either a retro song trying to recreate the old sound (Do It Again, It's OK, Good Timin', Getcha Back), a cover of an oldie (I Can Hear Music, Rock & Roll Music, Come Go With Me, Wipe Out), a piece of musical plastic (Kokomo) or a re-release of older material (like the Endless Summer and Spirit of America compilations). Brilliant albums like 'Wild Honey', 'Sunflower', 'Holland' and 'Friends' all flopped. Brilliant singles like 'Friends', 'Break Away', 'Long Promised Road' and 'Surf's Up' flopped.

I agree completely with what you write about Mike Love. He didn't want progress, he wanted to stick to the formula. To this day, he himself won't even try to deny that.

I think that The Beach Boys in the mid 70s had two options. One: continuing as a cult band, making excellent new and progressive albums for a relatively small audience. Two: giving up on that and becoming a flesh-made oldies jukebox. The Wilsons wanted to go in the first direction, Mike Love (and probably Al Jardine and Bruce Johnston too) wanted to go in the second direction. By making Endess Summer and Spirit Of America so hugely successful, the American public basically voted for Mike.

Hi Joost! I really truly believe that you and I are seeing eye to eye, its just that we are wording it differently. It is true, Pet Sounds did not sell as well as Brian would have hoped, however, Good Vibrations was the band's first worldwide million selling number 1 single. Thinking about it now, as much as I hate to admit it, we are both right! Some fans did not want the creative sounds of Pet Sounds or SMiLE. However, serious musicians, producers (Such as George Martin) and important people in the music industry, wanted creative sounds from The Beach Boys such as Pet Sounds and SMiLE. Many important people in the music industry (The Beatles included) respected Brian as an equal and considered him somewhat of a threat for what he was recording and accomplishing in the studio.

You know what's really funny Joost, here we are talking about what Brian was recording in the studio and that certain fans were not very responsive to his creative sounds that were considered by many music critics, too far ahead of its time. In my opinion, Pet Sounds and the unreleased SMiLE were too far ahead of their time. Yet, Pet Sounds is considered one of popular music's all-time greatest achievements to this very day.

Why is it that no one thought badly of The Beatles when they changed the music world forever with Rubber Soul, (1965), Revolver (1966) and Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (1967)? The Beatles were far ahead of their time and were not afraid to explore and experiment with different sounds in the studio. Maybe its because The Beatles were the exception to the rule and/or The Beatles had all of the support they needed in order for them to accomplish whatever they wanted in the studio which was not the case with Brian and The Beach Boys. What's your make on this Joost? Take care.       

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #327 on: August 02, 2011, 10:34:27 PM »

Why is it that no one thought badly of The Beatles when they changed the music world forever with Rubber Soul, (1965), Revolver (1966) and Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (1967)? The Beatles were far ahead of their time and were not afraid to explore and experiment with different sounds in the studio. Maybe its because The Beatles were the exception to the rule and/or The Beatles had all of the support they needed in order for them to accomplish whatever they wanted in the studio which was not the case with Brian and The Beach Boys. What's your make on this Joost? Take care.     

I think that Brian was in exactly the wrong time at exactly the wrong place (which makes the song 'I Just Wasn't Made for These Times' pretty ironic). 'Pet Sounds' did great pretty much everywhere except for where it mattered the most to him, in the USA. And nobody ever questioned how great it was, except for when it came out in 1966.

Brian was also working under entirely different circumstances than John & Paul. John & Paul had each other and were both progressive musicians and songwriters. They had George Martin who was willing to follow them where ever they would go. And they had enough credit with their record company to do whatever they wanted. Brian on the other hand was The Beach Boys' John, Paul and George Martin all combined into one person. He was on his own. And not just that, he had to deal with a band that wasn't quite as progressive as he was.

I think you should imagine John Lennon presenting 'Strawberry Fields Forever' to The Beatles, and having Paul, George and Ringo say something like, "Wow, that's pretty weird... Can't you just write something like 'I Want To Hold Your Hand' or 'Please Please Me'?". That's pretty much the situation that Brian Wilson had to deal with.

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #328 on: August 02, 2011, 11:03:13 PM »

I think that Brian was in exactly the wrong time at exactly the wrong place (which makes the song 'I Just Wasn't Made for These Times' pretty ironic). 'Pet Sounds' did great pretty much everywhere except for where it mattered the most to him, in the USA. And nobody ever questioned how great it was, except for when it came out in 1966.

Brian was also working under entirely different circumstances than John & Paul. John & Paul had each other and were both progressive musicians and songwriters. They had George Martin who was willing to follow them where ever they would go. And they had enough credit with their record company to do whatever they wanted. Brian on the other hand was The Beach Boys' John, Paul and George Martin all combined into one person. He was on his own. And not just that, he had to deal with a band that wasn't quite as progressive as he was.

I think you should imagine John Lennon presenting 'Strawberry Fields Forever' to The Beatles, and having Paul, George and Ringo say something like, "Wow, that's pretty weird... Can't you just write something like 'I Want To Hold Your Hand' or 'Please Please Me'?". That's pretty much the situation that Brian Wilson had to deal with.

Hi Joost! I look forward to reading your posts. Everything you said, I'm on the same wave length with you. I would like to add that both The Beatles and The beach Boys were both on the Capitol Records label. However, both bands were from different countries and The Beatles worked for EMI, which owned Capitol Records. In England, it was easy for The Beatles to get all of the support they needed which was not the case for Brian. Pet Sounds was extremely loved, accepted and successful in England. Like you said, The Beach Boys were more popular everywhere else (Including England) except where it mattered the most, in the U.S.A. That is so sad.

Which brings up the next question, why is it that the British bands had more success and were more popular in the U.S. more than they were in their own homeland which is England? And vice versa? The Beach Boys were more popular in England than they ever were here in America. Thats really puzzled me. Whats really funny is that The Beach Boys were once called America's band, yet they were never treated that way.

When you think about it, Brian was an engineer, an arranger, a songwriter and a producer all in one! Isn't that incredible? Brian had no one! The Beatles (John and Paul) had it all including the support of the record label and George Martin. I really wish that the certain people that were involved with the SMiLE project, would have let Brian do whatever he wanted to do in the studio and let him stay competitive with The Beatles. If that would have happened, no telling what Brian would have achieved or accomplished. Then again, now its only speculation.

Coincidently, it was "Strawberry Fields Forever" that made Brian feel that he lost his musical race with The Beatles. Brian would feel that The Beatles were truly the first to incorporate the "new sound." It was at that point (At least one of them), that Brian slowly started to lose his confidence in finishing SMiLE. What do you think Joost?         

Bobber

« Reply #329 on: August 04, 2011, 07:32:26 AM »

Hi Bobber! How are you? I hope all is well with you. You're very welcome. Take care.

I'm fine John, thanks. You too?
You and Joost have given me a nice view into the Beach Boys state of mind of the late /60's. Thanks.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #330 on: August 04, 2011, 12:44:01 PM »

Which brings up the next question, why is it that the British bands had more success and were more popular in the U.S. more than they were in their own homeland which is England? And vice versa? The Beach Boys were more popular in England than they ever were here in America. Thats really puzzled me. Whats really funny is that The Beach Boys were once called America's band, yet they were never treated that way.

Brian Wilson and Mike Love have always said that British people just have a more delicate taste, but I don't think that would explain everything. I think that what makes the difference is that The Beach Boys were famous in America since early 1962, when they were still a surf band. They got big in America as a surf band, and they never really succeeded in getting rid of that image. So when they started trying different things, the American fans were like, "Hey, wait a minute... This doesn't sound like The Beach Boys!". In most European countries however, The Beach Boys didn't start having major hit singles until 1964 or 1965 (here in The Netherlands they didn't even have their first top ten hit until mid 1966), when they were already past the surf thing and making more advanced music. So I think that's why the European people were much more open to the changes.

If that would have happened, no telling what Brian would have achieved or accomplished. Then again, now its only speculation.

That is indeed hard to say. If he would've finished 'SMiLE' and it would've been a hit, it might have given his ego a big enough boost to keep going. But on the other hand, with Brian's naturally fragile mental health and his drug use, I think that it was bound to go wrong anyway...

Coincidently, it was "Strawberry Fields Forever" that made Brian feel that he lost his musical race with The Beatles. Brian would feel that The Beatles were truly the first to incorporate the "new sound." It was at that point (At least one of them), that Brian slowly started to lose his confidence in finishing SMiLE. What do you think Joost?         

I personally think that the effect that the 'Strawberry Fields Forever' b/w 'Penny Lane' single and the 'Sgt. Pepper' album had on Brian's mental state has been hugely overrated. I love 'Strawberry Fields' as much as anyone else, it's one of the greatest singles of the 1960s, but is it so good that it could make a guy who still had songs like 'Surf's Up', 'Cabin Essence' and 'Wonderful' up his sleeve just lose his self-confidence? I find that hard to believe. There was a lot more going on.

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #331 on: August 04, 2011, 06:38:16 PM »

I'm fine John, thanks. You too?
You and Joost have given me a nice view into the Beach Boys state of mind of the late /60's. Thanks.

Hi Bobber! I hope all is well with you and your family. I'm doing great Bobber, thank you. I'm really glad that Joost and I posted comments on The Beach Boys like we did, I feel it really gave the members here on the forum a more overall view of what really happened during those crucial years (1966-67). I'm glad you enjoyed it. Take care. 

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #332 on: August 04, 2011, 07:24:51 PM »

Brian Wilson and Mike Love have always said that British people just have a more delicate taste, but I don't think that would explain everything. I think that what makes the difference is that The Beach Boys were famous in America since early 1962, when they were still a surf band. They got big in America as a surf band, and they never really succeeded in getting rid of that image. So when they started trying different things, the American fans were like, "Hey, wait a minute... This doesn't sound like The Beach Boys!". In most European countries however, The Beach Boys didn't start having major hit singles until 1964 or 1965 (here in The Netherlands they didn't even have their first top ten hit until mid 1966), when they were already past the surf thing and making more advanced music. So I think that's why the European people were much more open to the changes.

That is indeed hard to say. If he would've finished 'SMiLE' and it would've been a hit, it might have given his ego a big enough boost to keep going. But on the other hand, with Brian's naturally fragile mental health and his drug use, I think that it was bound to go wrong anyway...

I personally think that the effect that the 'Strawberry Fields Forever' b/w 'Penny Lane' single and the 'Sgt. Pepper' album had on Brian's mental state has been hugely overrated. I love 'Strawberry Fields' as much as anyone else, it's one of the greatest singles of the 1960s, but is it so good that it could make a guy who still had songs like 'Surf's Up', 'Cabin Essence' and 'Wonderful' up his sleeve just lose his self-confidence? I find that hard to believe. There was a lot more going on.

Hello Joost, my fellow Beach Boys fan! How's it going in the Netherlands? I hope all is well with you. Thinking about it now, during those early Beach Boys years (1961-1962), Brian was really hesitant in recording Surf music. In reality, Brian hated Surf music. With that in mind, there was a verbal deal between Brian and Mike that after The Beach Boys become famous, Brian can change The Beach Boys' sound into anything he wanted. Of course, that would really never happen. With the pressure that Brian was dealing with (The Record label, Father Murry and Certain Beach Boys Members ), in my opinion, its really a wonder that Brian was permitted to record the Pet Sounds album as well as the "Good Vibrations" single.

Brian was dealing with severe depression throughout his whole career. With this in mind, Brian was always trying to please his Father as well as the band. When it came to family, Brian never wanted to offend anyone. As far as Drugs in the Brian Wilson story, LSD would play one of the vital roles as to why Brian was suffering from Auditory Halucinations. The late Syd Barrett (Pink Floyd), Peter Green (Fleetwood Mac) and Brian Wilson would suffer the same fate as a result of being a victim to LSD. LSD really destroyed Syd Barrett forever and it nearly destroyed both Peter Green and Brian Wilson. Its really a miracle that Brian and Peter came back from the depths of hell.

When Brian heard "Strawberry Fields Forever" for the first time, he believed that The Beatles had done what he had been trying to do with SMiLE and therefore, he felt like he lost the musical race with The Beatles. According to Brian, it was important to be the first one to incorporate the "new sound." When Brian didn't release the SMiLE album by the original due date (December 1966), and than heard "Strawberry Fields Forever," it would play some of the many vital factors as to why Brian just withdrew from taking SMiLE seriously. Also, in December 1966, when The Beach Boys arrived and came back to L.A. after having a successful tour in England, The Beach Boys (With the exception of Denny) hated SMiLE! When Brian tried to explain SMiLE to certain members of The Beach Boys, that would be one of the many contributing factors that would make Brian slowly lose his confidence in not finishing SMiLE. When Van Dyke Parks abandoned the SMiLE project after not being able to explain the meaning of the lyric "Columnated Ruins Domino" (From the song Surf's Up) to Mike Love, in my opinion, it would be one of the fatal blows that would permanently kill SMiLE. Like you said Joost, there was a lot more going on. Take care.             

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #333 on: August 04, 2011, 09:15:04 PM »

Hello Joost, my fellow Beach Boys fan! How's it going in the Netherlands?
Great, thanks. How are you?

in my opinion, its really a wonder that Brian was permitted to record the Pet Sounds album as well as the "Good Vibrations" single.
Well, by the time he began recording 'Pet Sounds', Brian had already written 25 hit singles in 4 1/2 years, so they had to give him some credit. And Capitol was used to getting three new Beach Boys albums per year, so once Brian started recording 'Pet Sounds', they couldn't let him ditch it and start over from scratch. It would've ruined their release scedule. And it's not like 'Pet Sounds' was that much of a commercial disaster. After all, it did have 'Wouldn't It Be Nice', 'God Only Knows' and 'Sloop John B.'.

But nevertheless, Capitol released 'Best of the Beach Boys' quickly after 'Pet Sounds', just so that they could sell something is the new album wouldn't sell. Which was a pretty lousy move.

Also, in December 1966, when The Beach Boys arrived and came back to L.A. after having a successful tour in England, The Beach Boys (With the exception of Denny) hated SMiLE!         
Did they actually all hate 'SMiLE'? I'm sure Brian experienced it that way, and he might still feel that they did, but I'm not sure if that in fact is the truth. I think that Mike was the only one who was really against it. Carl called 'Smiley Smile' "A bunt instead of a grand slam", which suggests that he thought of 'SMiLE' as a potential grand slam. And after all, it was Carl who finished 'Our Prayer', 'Cabinessence' and 'Surf's Up' so that they could be released on '20/20' and 'Surf's Up'. Al sang on quite a lot of the 'SMiLE' material, much more than any of the other Beach Boys besides Brian himself. And Bruce was always very supportive of Brian and as an trained musician, he had a pretty open mind for more progressive and complex material.

When Van Dyke Parks abandoned the SMiLE project after not being able to explain the meaning of the lyric "Columnated Ruins Domino" (From the song Surf's Up) to Mike Love, in my opinion, it would be one of the fatal blows that would permanently kill SMiLE.
I could be wrong, but I believe it was an argument about "Over and over the crow cries uncover the cornfield" (from 'Cabinessence') that made Van Dyke walk out. Brian actually once explained the lyrics of 'Surf's Up'. I'd have to look up the exact explanation, it's somewhere in Domenic Priore's 'SMiLE' book.

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #334 on: August 04, 2011, 09:48:41 PM »

Great, thanks. How are you?
Well, by the time he began recording 'Pet Sounds', Brian had already written 25 hit singles in 4 1/2 years, so they had to give him some credit. And Capitol was used to getting three new Beach Boys albums per year, so once Brian started recording 'Pet Sounds', they couldn't let him ditch it and start over from scratch. It would've ruined their release scedule. And it's not like 'Pet Sounds' was that much of a commercial disaster. After all, it did have 'Wouldn't It Be Nice', 'God Only Knows' and 'Sloop John B.'.

But nevertheless, Capitol released 'Best of the Beach Boys' quickly after 'Pet Sounds', just so that they could sell something is the new album wouldn't sell. Which was a pretty lousy move.
Did they actually all hate 'SMiLE'? I'm sure Brian experienced it that way, and he might still feel that they did, but I'm not sure if that in fact is the truth. I think that Mike was the only one who was really against it. Carl called 'Smiley Smile' "A bunt instead of a grand slam", which suggests that he thought of 'SMiLE' as a potential grand slam. And after all, it was Carl who finished 'Our Prayer', 'Cabinessence' and 'Surf's Up' so that they could be released on '20/20' and 'Surf's Up'. Al sang on quite a lot of the 'SMiLE' material, much more than any of the other Beach Boys besides Brian himself. And Bruce was always very supportive of Brian and as an trained musician, he had a pretty open mind for more progressive and complex material.
I could be wrong, but I believe it was an argument about "Over and over the crow cries uncover the cornfield" (from 'Cabinessence') that made Van Dyke walk out. Brian actually once explained the lyrics of 'Surf's Up'. I'd have to look up the exact explanation, it's somewhere in Domenic Priore's 'SMiLE' book.

I'm doing great Joost, thanks for asking. Like Denny once said, "Brian is The Beach Boys!" In my opinion, The Beach Boys, especially Mike Love, should thank Brian everyday for making him rich.

As for all of The Beach Boys hating SMiLE, we both know Mike Love did, Carl did because Mike had control over Carl which made Brian feel betrayed. Bruce Johnston and Al Jardine, being outside of the family bubble, tried to be partially neutral to the SMiLE project but Al would slightly be on both Mike's and Carl's side just to keep the peace with Mike.

I do remember the lyric "Over and over the crow cries uncover the cornfield" as being another clash between Mike Love and Van Dyke Parks. However, it was "Columnated Ruins Domino" that made Parks walk out and abandon SMiLE.

I love both the LOOK LISTEN VIBRATE SMiLE and THE STORY OF BRIAN WILSON'S LOST MASTERPIECE, SMiLE books by Domenic Priore. Those books are interesting. Take care.   

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #335 on: August 05, 2011, 11:18:41 PM »

How's it going Joost? I hope that your Friday went well. On the way home from work, I stopped by Borders to check out their "going out of business" sale. I am glad that I did because I bought the last issue of MOJO Magazine entitled MOJO 60's, THE ULTIMATE COLLECTOR'S EDITION. The main topic of this magazine issue is The Beach Boys SMiLE album. The front cover states "The Beach Boys SMiLE, its here! At last! THE FULL STORY. This MOJO magazine issue contains a 20 page spectacular! It includes NEW interviews with Brian, Wilson, Mike Love, Van Dyke Parks, Al Jardine and much more!!! This special issue also includes a special exclusive Beach Boys 7-inch single inside. The vinyl is yellow and the two tracks are "Cabin Essence" (Side A) and "Wonderful" (Side B). These two tracks are from the forthcoming Capitol release "The SMiLE Sessions." The two tracks sound incredible! I hope that you can find this issue, its a good issue for Beach Boys diehards such as yourself. Take care Joost.     

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #336 on: August 06, 2011, 12:33:58 PM »

I already got it last week, but thanks for the tip! I thought the articles were not all that great (nothing new really, and some pretty big mistakes... never knew Brian had a sister named Maureen, for instance...) but the 7" is a very cool collector's item.

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #337 on: August 06, 2011, 01:39:01 PM »

I already got it last week, but thanks for the tip! I thought the articles were not all that great (nothing new really, and some pretty big mistakes... never knew Brian had a sister named Maureen, for instance...) but the 7" is a very cool collector's item.

You're welcome Joost. I read the whole article last night and I was somewhat disappointed. I can't believe how much Mike Love was lying in that article. Joost, I met Mike Love in 1981 and let me say, I really don't think very highly of him. I never met Maureen but I heard that she was a Step-sister. One thing's for certain, she was never talked about later nor was she hardly ever a part of the Wilson family. I'll have to find out more on this. Take care Joost.       

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #338 on: August 06, 2011, 02:28:47 PM »

You're welcome Joost. I read the whole article last night and I was somewhat disappointed. I can't believe how much Mike Love was lying in that article. Joost, I met Mike Love in 1981 and let me say, I really don't think very highly of him. I never met Maureen but I heard that she was a Step-sister. One thing's for certain, she was never talked about later nor was she hardly ever a part of the Wilson family. I'll have to find out more on this. Take care Joost.       

The Maureen that's mentioned in the article was very likely Mike's sister Maureen Love, who did indeed sing with her brother and cousins before they were The Beach Boys. She later became a professional harp player.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #339 on: August 06, 2011, 02:40:39 PM »

I was listening to Friends and Sunflower lately. It looks like Brian gave up about making his all time pretentious masterpiece and the band just recorded some well crafted interesting music.

About the Smile project, it seems that Brian wasn't all that happy with Pet Sounds and wanted to go for more, but I don't blame him for being an obsessive genius.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 02:58:25 PM by Hombre_de_ningun_lugar »
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 42

Page created in 1.252 seconds with 75 queries.