Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: The Lennon Exploiting  (Read 10213 times)

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
Re: The Lennon Exploiting
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2008, 02:42:19 AM »

Oh, yeah! Promote peace by buying this crappy merchandise. All this stuff totally supports John's anti-capitalist views. Ugh, Yoko just p*sses me off with crap like this. It really makes me wonder if she even loves him anymore.

Ok, so the necklace with the musical notes with is kind of cute, but you could do that without the John Lennon liscensing.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2008, 02:44:16 AM »

And let's not forget the Carter's line of baby junk put out of few years ago. Now selling at reduced prices on ebay. Guess that outing wasn't as profitable as Yoko thought it might be.

CARTER'S JOHN LENNON REAL LOVE WALL WALLPAPER BORDER

John Lennon's Real Love Luxury Plush Blanket                                                

Carter's John Lennon Keepsake Birth Announcement

CARTERS JOHN LENNON LARGE PLUSH ELEPHANT PILLOW

And...

Plastic John Lennon Collectible Doll Licensed By Yoko Ono

Yoko Cashes-In On John Lennon's Image

This is hard  to believe, but here goes.  It looks as if Yoko Ono has licensed a John Lennon action figure that will be sold.  I guess this is supposed to be in honor of  the 25th anniversary of Lennon's murder. Talk about a revolution... come on, let's give peace a chance.

But there is apparently no limit to bad taste, these days.

NECA says this is the first ever licensed Lennon figure ever. That's quite a distinction. There is a line of "Yellow Submarine" pose-able figures, but those are of Lennon and the other Beatles in cartoon character from the animated film. This one is actually one of John Lennon's person, with all profits going to Ono.

So the question is: How much money does this woman need?

... From The National Entertainment Collectibles Association ...

It's hard to believe that it's been 25 years since we lost John Lennon, but even today millions everywhere are celebrating his life and the music he gave to us. Being one of the most influential musicians to have graced this earth, people from every corner of the world are hard pressed to deny the importance of Lennon's musical contributions, both solo and with The Beatles. You can't find a single genre of music that hasn't been touched or influenced by either, and that is exactly how it should be.

Though John Lennon is already immortalized to most of us thanks to his words and voice, many Lennon and Beatle fans can now look forward to adding new tribute pieces to their collection. Today NECA is proud to unveil our first John Lennon 18" Action Figure w/motion activated sound. Coming in Spring 2006, this is the first officially licensed John Lennon Figure ever. He will "speak" authentic John Lennon phrases and is known as "The New York Years" John Lennon.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2008, 03:02:23 AM »

That money-hungry b****!
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

HeyJude18

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Love and Peace are eternal" - John Lennon
    • le blog
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2008, 03:08:40 AM »

she is but lets be honest, I buy into a lot of it...  I know John would hate me for it but I can't seem to help it!

RAIN-ed on: July 17, 2010; STARR-strucked: July 23, 2010; PAUL-inated: August 8, 2010

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2008, 04:06:19 AM »

A great man once said this of celebrity:

"In closing, you people must realize that the public owns you for life!  And when you're dead, you'll all be in commercials, dancing with vacuum cleaners."

:X

This one was also very profound:

"I believe that famous people have a debt to everyone.  If celebrities didn't want people pawing through their garbage and saying they're gay, they shouldn't have tried to express themselves creatively."

Heh.

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2008, 04:13:00 AM »

Quote from: 216

Wow, you mean Yoko put out of line of John Lennon glasses? How surprising. It's so unlike her to exploit her dead husband for material gain.

I feel my stomach churning.  (barf4)  

A lot of those glasses suck, too.

I always knew there was a lot of Lennon merchandise on the market, but I never knew quite HOW much until I joined this forum.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2008, 04:31:39 AM »

I knew about the Carter line.  I didn't know about the action figure and jewelry.    :-/
I can stay till it's time to go

colleengirl95

• Getting Better
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2008, 05:31:58 AM »

i don't believe it i knew about the baby stuff like Carters but about jewelry i dunno anything about it... i saw the John Lennon action figure but i didn't plan on buying it ...because my mind was set on something else. I can't believe i'm sick, flu that is but i wonder why Yoko could do this (no offense) but before this case i looked at a website and typed John Lennon In His Own Write before it was like made by John Lennon but now it's like made John Lennon and Yoko Ono.
[IMG]http://i104.photobucket.com/albums

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2008, 05:42:13 AM »

Check out who they quote in here! I'd like to hear more from him on this subject. Bill?

[size=18]Yoko keeps grip on Lennon legacy[/size]
By Ian Youngs
BBC News entertainment reporter

Thursday marks the 25th anniversary of the death of John Lennon. His image and music are still extremely potent and popular - but how does his widow Yoko Ono control his legacy?

When musician Ian Watts put together a stage musical to tell John Lennon's life story, he thought he was paying harmless tribute to the greatest artist of the last century.

But Ono was not willing to put her late husband's reputation in the hands of a project she had not approved.

Mr Watts was about to give Lennon: A Day in the Life two low-key test performances when Ono and Sony/ATV, who own publishing rights to the music, found out and stopped him in his tracks.

"Your head's above the parapet and Yoko's crosshairs are firmly fixed on your forehead," he was told by their lawyers.

"It was a very, very scary time," Mr Watts says. "I was amazed that they found out about this.

'Blown away'

"I was absolutely blown away by how hot they are, how quick they were off the mark and how solid it was."

Mr Watts says he was merely "naive" about needing permission from Lennon's estate. But he now agrees they are right to keep a firm grip on Lennon's legacy.

"What they're doing is protecting the names of The Beatles, John Lennon and Paul McCartney. And they have to be really looked after.

"So it's important that people like me don't come along and make a mess of it. Of course, we weren't intending to make a mess of it."

He was told to take out any trace of storyline - and so a new tribute band-style concert show, Come Together Right Now, finishes its UK tour at the Liverpool Empire on Sunday.

Ono is notoriously protective of her late husband, threatening to sue a painter and taking legal action against a Tokyo underground operator for using his image.

But, as any Beatles fan will know, products and projects using his name and music are hardly thin on the ground.

US magazine Forbes estimates Lennon's estate earns $22m (£12.7m) per year - mainly from CD sales.

Ono has just put together a new greatest hits compilation, Working Class Hero, which was released in October. She also backed a Broadway musical that closed after just six weeks following poor reviews.

Lennon merchandise such as sunglasses, figurines, plates, watches, trainers and baby accessories has also been approved.

But proceeds from many of these go to charity and Ono has also donated some rights to organisations like Amnesty International. Ono's representatives declined to comment on her activities.

Bill Harry, a friend of Lennon who ran the Mersey Beat newspaper in the 1960s and wrote the John Lennon Encyclopaedia, says Ono has an "iron grip" over what is released.

"Yoko controls everything," he says. "John doesn't belong to the world any more. He belongs completely to Yoko, who is able to filter anything that goes out."

"Everybody has to have her permission for anything - which is why we have the most abominable stuff coming out on John."

The Beatles were the first band to create their own merchandise industry, according to The Times chief rock critic Pete Paphides.

But now, Ono is devaluing Lennon's messages by using lyrics on products such as Nike's Converse Peace trainers, which feature words from Imagine, he says.

"I think it's probably a misguided attempt to keep him remembered," Mr Paphides says.

"I think in Yoko's world there's no major conflict between licensing someone's name and keeping their memory alive.

'Cliche'

"There's this sense that by buying a Converse trainer you might somehow be tapping into the message of songs like Imagine and I think that's what sticks in the craw slightly.

"I don't think her intentions are malign, I just think she doesn't see any great conflict in all of this."

But her actions have reduced Lennon to a cliche, he says.

"I guess that's part and parcel of iconhood - maybe in order to become an icon you do have to be reduced to this cliched, more well-rounded, smoother version of what you were."

John Lennon musical
Yoko Ono backed an ill-fated John Lennon Broadway musical

Ono named Liverpool airport after her late husband in 2001

Bobber

« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2008, 08:38:41 AM »

Split from the Random Thoughts as I thought it deserved a thread of its own.

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2008, 06:45:38 PM »

A great man once said this of celebrity:

"In closing, you people must realize that the public owns you for life!  And when you're dead, you'll all be in commercials, dancing with vacuum cleaners."

:X

This one was also very profound:

"I believe that famous people have a debt to everyone.  If celebrities didn't want people pawing through their garbage and saying they're gay, they shouldn't have tried to express themselves creatively."

Heh.

^ ;D

Worth printing and framing, actually.  :)

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2008, 01:17:46 AM »

Quote from: 63
Split from the Random Thoughts as I thought it deserved a thread of its own.

You're quite talented. I would have no idea how to do that! Sorry my randomness went on for so long! I like the thread title though. Heh.

I think Sean is taking his mother's lead lately. I mean, is this really necessary at this stage of the game? I guess he figured he couldn't push his music on people using his dad's  name, so now he's gonna get in the news by bashing him? Hmmmm....

Oh and the analogy of Elvis leaving Vegas to sing with the punks is ridiculous. Do you get what he's going for there? Right.

[size=18] Sean Lennon: Dad Screamed at Me[/size]
Posted Sep 21, 08 7:48 AM CDT in Arts & Living

(Newser)

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2008, 01:41:08 AM »

I can't believe I forgot the latest endeavor. Cuz this was SOOO needed. Love the headline and the line in bold is just priceless. Yes, the whirly mixture of chocolate and fudge is sure to enlighten that masses. Great plan.

[size=18]
John Lennon Is An Ice-Cream
[/size]
by Paul Cashmere - February 29 2008

John Lennon has inspired a new ice-cream flavour at Ben & Jerry's.

'Imagine Whirled Peace is a toffee, cookies and fudge flavour and has peace signs whirled through it.

At the Ben & Jerry's site, they say "When Ben & Jerry's wanted to talk about peace, we couldn't think of a better person to exemplify the message than John Lennon. Through his art and lyrics he imagined a world without war and asked us all to 'Give Peace a Chance'. We hope this whirly mixture of toffee cookies and fudge peace signs enlightens your bellies and souls and makes you ask what you can do to promote peace in your lives".

But beware. That peace fudge might create war with your stomach. The ice-cream comes with the warning "The Fudge Peace Sign Pieces Are Manufactured On Equipment That Also Processes Peanuts And Tree Nuts".

And this person's idea for a commercial spot is awesome, but how marketing peace through ice cream makes the world a better place is beyond me.

[size=18]John Lennon gets his own Ben & Jerry

Mrs Lennon

• A Thousand Pages
  • Standing or Sitting When Not Lying Down
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2008, 01:52:38 AM »

All this Yoko marketing is just plain-out depressing. What's even more depressing is that the advertisers think that true Beatles/Lennon fans are actually going to buy these products. A true fan would be royally p*ssed about something like this. Equally depressing is the fact that Sean Lennon is talking ill of John to promote his music. This is really sad.  :-/
Music is like candy; you throw away the rappers.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2008, 02:48:06 AM »

Yes, the whirly mixture of chocolate and fudge is sure to enlighten that masses. Great plan.
Something tells me they haven't listed all the ingredients.   ;)
I can stay till it's time to go

cubanheel

• Getting Better
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2008, 07:02:12 PM »

Imagine no possessions, I WONDER if anyone can....
...once there was a way to get back homeward ...

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2008, 05:18:37 AM »

I think Sean is taking his mother's lead lately. I mean, is this really necessary at this stage of the game? I guess he figured he couldn't push his music on people using his dad's  name, so now he's gonna get in the news by bashing him? Hmmmm....

In Sean's defense, I read that snippet and it didn't exactly sound like he was "bashing" John outright.  He was just stating something that happened to him.  Granted, he was airing a bit of dirty laundry, but his statement was very consistent with Cynthia Lennon's reports on how John treated his other son Julian.  People who knew John well knew that he could be temperamental, even with his own children.

Anyway, this news report didn't sound spectacularly trashy, but as for his upcoming book, who knows?

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2008, 05:40:52 AM »

Quote from: 1620

In Sean's defense, I read that snippet and it didn't exactly sound like he was "bashing" John outright.  He was just stating something that happened to him.  Granted, he was airing a bit of dirty laundry, but his statement was very consistent with Cynthia Lennon's reports on how John treated his other son Julian.  People who knew John well knew that he could be temperamental, even with his own children.

Anyway, this news report didn't sound spectacularly trashy, but as for his upcoming book, who knows?

I don't know, things he's done and said over the years make me question his motives. But that's my own hang up. I'm sure he's a very nice person who deserves all the wealth and fame he's received. I'm sure he's earned every bit of it.

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2008, 08:21:30 AM »

What's he done and said over the years? Fill me in  :P

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2008, 09:43:08 AM »

^  Me too.   ;)

Sorry Sandra, I hope you didn't think I was coming after you or anything.  I don't know Sean's past that well, but reading that snippet didn't make me immediately think that he wanted to trash or exploit his father's image.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Page created in 0.225 seconds with 89 queries.