Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Live Peace In Toronto  (Read 3215 times)

Wayne L.

Live Peace In Toronto
« on: July 20, 2006, 06:40:28 PM »

Live Peace In Toronto showcases John's best live performance as a solo artist, with the first incarnation of the Plastic Ono Band & great ballsy live versions of Blue Suede Shoes, Yer Blues, Dizzy Miss Lizzy & Give Peace A Chance.  It's funny that he was so nervous before going onstage, at the time, because he's so damn cool in his Abbey Road suit, shoulder length hair & bearded, if you have seen the video.  LPIT is his finest moment as a live performer, without a doubt, after the breakup of the Beatles, much more so than his performances in 72 & 74 & it's too bad he never got to tour.  

Re: Live Peace In Toronto
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2006, 08:54:44 PM »

well, it's alright but if you really think about it, it's not that much of a performance from john, and yoko's howling becomes a bit pathetic, and apparently half the audience were booing at her and throwing bottles at her on stage, and the other half were singing give peace a chance, but oh no they dont show that on the record do they? it's not a great performance anyway, but i like the solo john does in yer blues, and claptons on top form as usual. apparently the doors and a lot of other bands that played that night rocked more...anyway, a pleasant listen at least.

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2006, 12:11:40 PM »

It wasn't a bad gig for a band that only rehearsed together once and that was on the plane to Toronto! :)

Wayne L.

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2006, 10:46:36 PM »

I don't even think about Yoko's performance at all The End, I did listen to it & watch it on the video, only once.  I agree with you, the first incarnation of the Plastic Ono Band kicked butt & John was at his ballsiest & baddest.  

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2006, 11:40:39 AM »

I wished they'd filled their show with a few more rock classics instead of spending over 15 minutes doing 2 of Yoko's songs - Don't Worry Kyoko and John, John (Let's Hope For Peace). I wonder what the rest of the band thought!  

Bobber

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2006, 11:52:03 AM »

Quote from: The_End
I wonder what the rest of the band thought!  

I think pc's got a video on his podcast of John and Yoko doing a guest appearance at a Chuch Berry show. Chuck's face when Yoko starts her 'singing' says it all. And John looks a bit apologizing.

Chazz Avery

• One And One Is Two
  • "I got blisters on my fingers!"
    • TheBeatleSource
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2006, 04:59:17 PM »

Quote from: The_End
I wished they'd filled their show with a few more rock classics instead of spending over 15 minutes doing 2 of Yoko's songs - Don't Worry Kyoko and John, John (Let's Hope For Peace). I wonder what the rest of the band thought!
Yeah, additional "songs" would have been much better. Even if they were all old rock standards and, although I always listen to the album in its entirety, I could do without "John, John (Let's Hope For Peace)", but I've always liked "Don't Worry Kyoko" quite a lot and, in the film, Eric, Klaus and Alan seem to be enjoying themselves.

Wayne L.

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2006, 09:15:17 PM »

Quote from: Bobber

I think pc's got a video on his podcast of John and Yoko doing a guest appearance at a Chuch Berry show. Chuck's face when Yoko starts her 'singing' says it all. And John looks a bit apologizing.

I bet Clapton, Voorman & White hated it & probably wanted to rock some more.

somedude210

• A Thousand Pages
  • Insanity is just a state of mind
    • Coughlin Computers
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2006, 09:07:39 PM »

Quote from: Bobber

ah yes, i have those videos and just listening to it (never listening to yoko's "singing" before) shocked me, the camera guy, chuck berry and if you look, the rest of the band. haha, he kinda has a look of sheer terror as yoko starts in. see this is why you dont tamper with a classic song by starting to scream like a banshee

somehow, banshee screaming was a big thing for her... ::)
«if asking, begging and pleading doesn't work, always go with a song and dance number.» ;D
In need of a computer? visit Coughlin Computers http://coughlincomputers.tripod.com

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2006, 02:37:24 PM »

Can't leave Mom out. Did she realize that she who she was performing with? John Lennon playing with Chuck Berry must have been an absolute honour-even if you are John Lennon, and he wasn't very impressed with who he was, and to get to jam with one of your idols, and then to have this crazy woman, who also happens to be your wife, screw up the chance of a lifetime by howling away, must have been horrific. It would be like any of us finally getting to meet our idol of idols and going to dinner at a fancy schmancy restaurant. You're trying to have a conversation while your wife has her feet up on the table, being a drunken mess, picking her teeth with her toenails--you get the picture. I've seen that footage before and when Yoko goes into her banshee thing, poor Chuck looks scared to death. Comedy and Tragedy all in one.

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2006, 10:10:34 PM »

for john to even form a band after the beatles was a tremendous feat in itself...he was pretty much done with things that mattered...he and yoko were hooked on heroin...not snorting it but shooting it.....he was using needles during let it be...and for once since the beatles john let something else control him rather than the beatle machine...unless you count yoko...but i think yoko and heroin were the worst pick at solutions...he was in the public eye but he was using constantly...it must have made him feel good tho cause he kept banging that sh*t...i think it more than anything gave him that crap attitude because he became more cynical and critical of others....this is the live peace era i'm talking here....clapton used the sh*t too....it kills some of our best talents...doesn't it.....great drug tho..you don't care about sh*t...you are just numb and complacent...i deadens pain and sensory nerves...the only thing stronger is morphine.....poppy products for the masses...any who i digress.....during this era i think he began showing more contempt for people too.....when he and elephants memory we doing music...i got the feeling that if he had a bad preformance..that he did not care and neither did they..why else would yoko be tolerated...i also thing when the beatles did bust up..it affected john worse than he ever let on...it was what he was....what he wanted to be...front stage center...but he became harder after the split and seem more angry than ever...no longer did he only sing about love but became proficent at malicious songs..like how do you sleep....it is like heroin woke a sleep beast with fangs...i think that he met chuck after the sh*t ruined on him...he did use to tell yoko to shut up alot...he was rude to her too...you always hurt the one you love...

Bobber

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2006, 07:06:00 AM »

I saw a tv-program recently about Brian Jones and it was about his drugs abuse. Today we know what drugs do to our body and soul. We know the dangers (and pleasures) it can bring. Back in the sixties, most people didn't have a clue at all? Was it possible to actually take TOO MUCH heroin? And when you LSD trip was over, no harm seemed to be done. It's not strange that a lot of great talents did precisely in those years, late 60's early 70's. John came out alive.

Wayne L.

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2006, 02:24:25 PM »

Brian Jones was out of his mind, in more ways than one, back in the 60's, but he formed the Stones thankfully & was a great musician.  I know John was high on drugs during the late 60's/early 70's, but his Toronto performance back in 69 is his best as a solo artist.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2006, 12:02:44 AM »

Ok, i'll say it. The Toronto performance sucked. The only reason we put up with it is because we dont have much else from him. It had a few moments, but lets all be honest with ourselves.

Bobber

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2006, 11:26:39 AM »

Quote from: Wayne_L.
... but his Toronto performance back in 69 is his best as a solo artist.

He didn't do much solo performances, did he?

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2006, 04:39:03 PM »

Quote from: tkitna
Ok, i'll say it. The Toronto performance sucked. The only reason we put up with it is because we dont have much else from him. It had a few moments, but lets all be honest with ourselves.

I agree. The Toronto concert was more of a jam session than a concert. And you're right, he didn't do that many performances. That Jam with Zappa, NYC, One to One, and a few songs with Elton is all I can think of.

Wayne L.

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2006, 09:16:15 PM »

Quote from: tkitna

You have to admit LPIT is much better than Live In NYC, it had great rockin moments from John & Yoko sucked.  

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2006, 09:56:53 PM »

I don't have to admit that.

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2006, 10:15:40 AM »

Quote from: Wayne_L.
Brian Jones was out of his mind, in more ways than one, back in the 60's, but he formed the Stones thankfully & was a great musician.  I know John was high on drugs during the late 60's/early 70's, but his Toronto performance back in 69 is his best as a solo artist.
john stayed high on pot even after he quit horse...i think the sir lew grade so\ngs were better even the whistle stop songs blow  live peace away...wayne remember our discussion on denial?????

Wayne L.

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2006, 08:12:57 PM »

Whatever you're in denial of pc31, you have to deal with it.  Live Peace In Toronto is John's finest moment, without a doubt, as a solo artist, with the first incarnation of the Plastic Ono Band.  Great ballsy, blistering versions of rock oldies, Beatles classics & new songs, looking cool in his Abbey Road suit, if you have seen the video.  I have heard Yoko's side only once & seen it once on the video & that's enough.
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.347 seconds with 77 queries.