Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: And I love Her  (Read 1248 times)

dcowboys107

• A Beginning
  • Surf's Up
And I love Her
« on: August 01, 2007, 07:48:05 PM »

Ok, so I was watching A Hard Day's Night and when "And I Love Her" came on I started playing the guitar to it.  However I noticed that what I was playing was semitone higher than the actual performance.  When I played to the Cd I had the pitch right but the movie was a semitone lower. Is it like that on the American Release or something or it is due to some sort of filming method the pitch was brought down? I'd appreciate the information.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Confusion will be my epitaph"
Re: And I love Her
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 10:10:10 PM »

not sure but i noticed it on the movie it makes the song seem slower, less upbeat and makes mccartney sound like barry white :P

Michelle Revolution

• A Beginning
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 11:12:56 PM »

This effect happens to all movies when they are transferred from the medium of film to television - it\'s to avoid \'flicker\'.
[face=sans-serif][size=25]My MySpace site: http://www.myspace.com/michellerevolution[/face][/size]

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 03:10:29 PM »

Quote from: 662
Ok, so I was watching A Hard Day's Night and when "And I Love Her" came on I started playing the guitar to it.  However I noticed that what I was playing was semitone higher than the actual performance.  When I played to the Cd I had the pitch right but the movie was a semitone lower. Is it like that on the American Release or something or it is due to some sort of filming method the pitch was brought down? I'd appreciate the information.

I've noticed this is pretty common, at least with Beatles songs. I play piano, and by listening to the record (vinyl) I learned a rocking version of Lady Madonna - in the surprising key of Bb! Trouble is, they recorded it in the key of A (a lot easier to believe than Bb!). I remember going back and calibrating my turntable to exactly 33-1/3, but it was still in Bb.

It has to do with some kind of artifact introduced between master tape and cutting to vinyl.  There are other songs where this has happened as well. Not to be confused with times where they intentionally sped up the tape ... like in "When I'm 64".

Say BTW dcowboys107, did you get a chance to see their fingers in the movie for "And I Love Her?" - were they playing in E or Eb? From the vinyl record a long time ago, I learned it in Eb ... from what you wrote, it sounds like the CD has been sped up compared with the vinyl record!

I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007, 04:19:45 PM »

Don't forget from around 1966 onwards The Beatles discovered "vari-speed" whereby the master tapes were sped up or slowed down during the recording process and even at the mastering stage. For example, the mono version of She's Leaving Home plays faster than the stereo version. So that will explain the odd keys.

dcowboys107

• A Beginning
  • Surf's Up
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2007, 04:23:59 PM »

They play the song like its in E because Paul plays his bass like you would noramally do it in E and John for the most part plays it normally but as you know John tended to play around when it came to miming to a song(if you watch closely to his rhythm part you can see him going all over the fretboard especially near like the 8th fret when you know he should be at the second).  From what I can see they play it normally and like what Michelle Revolution said it probably had to do with something in the mastering phase.

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2007, 09:20:24 PM »

A lot of songs in soundtracks sound a bit faster than the record i find!
Help seems faster in the movie than on the record.

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

Page created in 0.736 seconds with 49 queries.