Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Revolver vs. Sgt. Pepper's?  (Read 18185 times)

dbone828

• A Beginning
Re: Revolver vs. Sgt. Pepper's?
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2008, 04:39:50 AM »

Revolver for me.

HeyJude18

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Love and Peace are eternal" - John Lennon
    • le blog
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2008, 04:01:07 PM »

Sgt Pepper = <3

RAIN-ed on: July 17, 2010; STARR-strucked: July 23, 2010; PAUL-inated: August 8, 2010

LennonStarrFan

• A Beginning
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2010, 12:38:02 AM »

Revolver

But my all time fav Beatles song, A Day In The Life is in Sgt Pepper.

"John was the best. I loved John. He was fine singer, a fine musician and he was a fine friend." -Ringo
β€œHe's (Ringo) every bloody bit as warm, unassuming, funny, and kind as he seems. He was quite simply the heart of the Beatles.” – John

I_Will

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Doesn't the blood rush to your stomach?"
    • My Beatles Tumblr!
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2010, 12:55:49 AM »

Revolver, no questions asked.

The name's Emily :)

Almighty Doer of Stuff

• A Beginning
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2010, 03:36:16 AM »

Sgt. Pepper was the first Beatles album I listened to, after 1 which doesn't really count. It's great to listen to straight through, and is indeed very cohesive. Every song on the album is excellent, and reminds me of a box of chocolate truffles (perhaps in a heart shaped box, if you're excited about the upcoming Valentine's Day): Each one is very sweet-sounding, sort of melts in your mouth (or ears), but in a very different way for each song, like the different flavors, textures, and consistencies of each chocolate. It's all very smoothly produced, and is extremely sonically dense and rich. I've listened to it many times, both straight through and shuffled into the rest of my monstrously large MP3 player. It's a great record.

However, like a box of chocolate truffles, there comes a point (for me at least) where it can become too much of a good thing, where too much rich sweetness, wonderful in reasonable portions, starts to become unpleasant rather quickly when consumed in large amounts. I find this point comes much sooner for Sgt. Pepper than it does for Revolver, and I therefore think that, although Revolver's not necessarily a better album, I do enjoy it more. Although sometimes the mood to listen to Sgt. Pepper straight through will strike me and on those occasions it's very fulfilling and enjoyable without a doubt, but I definitely find that I listen to Revolver much more frequently than Sgt. Pepper. The songs are equally strong on both albums and both are equally consistent in their quality, in my opinion.

However, Revolver is a much less involved album to listen to. If I listen to Sgt. Pepper and, rather than paying full attention to every instrument, zone out for a minute or so (as I often do, especially on "Fixing A Hole", interestingly enough. I always wonder whether that's something everyone experiences and therefore maybe was intentional, or if it's just me), I feel like I'm listening to it wrong, and there's a LOT to listen to. Because so much of the interest in the album derives from the many layers of music and sounds, it's just a lot harder to enjoy as it should be enjoyed. Sgt. Pepper is great if you're going to sit down and listen to it actively with good speakers, but Revolver is much easier to sing along to, and still get maximum enjoyment out of it. My feelings on this extend to the period singles for each album as well: Paperback Writer/Rain for Revolver and Strawberry Fields Forever/Penny Lane.

As a tangent, although people often say Magical Mystery Tour and its period singles are a sort of "Sgt. Pepper Part II", but I disagree. While it does have the same psychedelia as Sgt. Pepper, the same intense studio trickery, and the same musical variety, its arrangements are much simpler, and it's got a much less effervescent and cheery, less rich, and less dense sound to it. I find that not only do I listen to Revolver more than Sgt. Pepper, I also listen to the Magical Mystery Tour album more than Sgt. Pepper.

That's my thoughts.

Jai Guru Deva.

• Getting Better
  • Nothing's gonna change my world.
    • Purple Prose Solo Music
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2010, 09:58:06 PM »

I definitely see your point, ADoS.  Sgt. Pepper is a very involved record which is complex, dense and honestly fantastic in its build, which means you do have to stop what you're doing and listen properly in order to capture everything that's happening in the music.  I like that about Sgt. Pepper - it makes you stop and listen.  It's a shame that most "listening" that goes on today is mainly alongside something else, often pushed that far into the background that it's barely noticable, and the real intentions and qualities are ignored.
However, Revolver feels a lot more easy to sink into and appreciate, which doesn't necessarily mean it's not as good.  It's just different, in influence and creation.  I would personally say that I prefer Revolver.  However, both albums are very consistent and VERY entertaining!  Quite masterful, actually.  :)

xxx

Limitless, undying love, which shines around me like a million suns, it calls me on and on, across the universe.
Proud author of "It's Only Love: A John Lennon Romance"!

Matildamother

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2010, 06:32:00 PM »

Both albums expand the parameters both pop and rock music by incorporating recording technology directly into their songwriting. Also its very textured with sounds and instruments not normally associated with both pop and rock music like "Love You To" and "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds" for example even more so than Pet Sounds. 

I have to think songs like  "Tomorrow Never Knows" and "Eleanor Rigby" don't really fit into any Rock and Roll / folk rock /Motown/blues template does it? I think they furthered that on Sgt Pepper and "Strawberry Fields Forever". But I think for any kid who would be interested in what songs might have shaped modern pop and rock music look no further than the experimentation of "Tomorrow Never Knows" whether it was drum and bass pattern or creating a backwash of sounds by the use of multiple of loops.

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2010, 04:32:24 PM »

PEPPER!!!!! i don't get al this Revolver hipe persoanlly .  :-\

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

Jema

• Getting Better
  • "The Beatles will exist without us." - George
« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2011, 02:16:49 PM »

They're both great albums but I'm going to have to say Revolver.
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 60 queries.