Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 107

Author Topic: Last movies you saw & what you thought of them  (Read 200912 times)

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
Re: Last movies you saw & what you thought of them
« Reply #1680 on: January 29, 2021, 04:11:12 AM »

That’s the one that won the Oscar isn’t it? I saw it at the movies. I thought it was just a zany comedy at first, then ...

It is very good.
Yes moog.
It won a few awards. Really enjoyed it.
Kevin

All You Need Is Love
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #1681 on: January 29, 2021, 07:53:48 PM »

I recall one called Maximum Overdrive that King also directed back in the early 80s which even he agreed was a turkey.

I've heard that, too, which is a shame because the short story (if I'm thinking of the right one) was great.

I see Dr. Sleep is now available to stream through one of my Prime channels. That's another one that doesn't seem like it would translate well to the screen, but maybe I'll give it a try.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #1682 on: February 04, 2021, 09:11:35 PM »

Yes, the new series. Maybe I should give it another try. I see the episodes are being released weekly.

I agree, the flashback combinations would be completely confusing to someone who is not already familiar with the plot. I wonder if any viewers were literally lost that way (i.e., confused and then gave up). 

I just found this sentence on Wikipedia in one of the episode write-ups: As a child, Nadine used a planchette and contacted Flagg who promised to make her his queen. Just a planchette? No ouija board, not even a hand-drawn one?  ;)

I ended up watching a few episodes when I had some time. It was better than I expected and had some good points. Yet to see how they finish it. It does move pretty quickly. With modern series’ tendencies to stretch stories out for several seasons I thought there was potential with this story to move a lot slower. For instance have the first season deal mostly with the outbreak of the flu.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #1683 on: February 04, 2021, 10:00:19 PM »

I ended up watching a few episodes when I had some time. It was better than I expected and had some good points. Yet to see how they finish it. It does move pretty quickly. With modern series’ tendencies to stretch stories out for several seasons I thought there was potential with this story to move a lot slower. For instance have the first season deal mostly with the outbreak of the flu.

I'll likely give it another shot this weekend. Saturday's wind chill is forecast to be –14 F (aobut –26 C), so I'm not going anywhere.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #1684 on: February 05, 2021, 07:27:04 AM »

I'll likely give it another shot this weekend. Saturday's wind chill is forecast to be –14 F (aobut –26 C), so I'm not going anywhere.

Perfect binge watching weather!

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #1685 on: February 05, 2021, 07:28:49 AM »

I've heard that, too, which is a shame because the short story (if I'm thinking of the right one) was great.

I see Dr. Sleep is now available to stream through one of my Prime channels. That's another one that doesn't seem like it would translate well to the screen, but maybe I'll give it a try.

It was a great short story (I loved Night Shift when I was younger). This version had only a passing resemblance to that story.

I watched Dr Sleep. It’s no The Shining but enjoyable enough.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #1686 on: February 05, 2021, 05:42:02 PM »

Perfect binge watching weather!

Indeed! I see that in addition to The Stand and Dr. Sleep the miniseries of Under the Dome is available as well. Decisions, decisions.  :)

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #1687 on: February 05, 2021, 09:24:52 PM »

I just found this sentence on Wikipedia in one of the episode write-ups: As a child, Nadine used a planchette and contacted Flagg who promised to make her his queen. Just a planchette? No ouija board, not even a hand-drawn one?  ;)

I stand corrected because I have now seen that episode. I'm finding the series rather addictive, actually, been glued to it for a couple of hours.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 09:30:51 PM by Normandie »

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #1688 on: February 06, 2021, 01:24:06 AM »

Sound of metal.
Absolutely brilliant loved it.

9/10
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #1689 on: February 07, 2021, 02:52:53 AM »

Indeed! I see that in addition to The Stand and Dr. Sleep the miniseries of Under the Dome is available as well. Decisions, decisions.  :)

Haven’t watched Under the Dome although I enjoyed the book (even if, as I’ve mentioned before, the time it took for the town to completely fall apart seemed implausibly short). I might get around to it post The Stand though.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2021, 07:15:28 AM by Moogmodule »

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #1690 on: February 07, 2021, 02:39:14 PM »

Haven’t watched Under the Dome although I enjoyed the book (even if, as I’ve mentioned before, the time it took for the town to completely fall apart seemed implausibly short).

I agree; that time frame in Under the Dome was pretty short. I'll probably look for that one to stream next.

I've binge-watched all 8 available episodes of The Stand and am looking forward to the final one, said to be written by King himself, which is set to air this Thursday. My younger daughter (and Bear) is supposed to be here that night for our our weekly dinner-and-a-movie night, but I suppose it wouldn't be fair to force it on her given that she hasn't read the book or seen any of the previous episodes.   ;D

I was thinking last night, after finishing Episode 8 of The Stand: With the exception of Carrie, for which the original is far and away superior to the remake (in my opinion, anyway), I like that several Stephen King books have received two treatments. They each have their good and bad points, not only The Stand but also The Shining, Pet Sematary, and It. (Did I miss any?) I was so unimpressed with the remake of It that I haven't yet bothered to watch the second part.   

« Last Edit: February 07, 2021, 02:57:13 PM by Normandie »

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #1691 on: February 11, 2021, 10:53:56 PM »

Watched the first episode of the first season of The Terror, a supernatural anthology series in which each season will focus on a different story, supposedly based on historical incidents.

The first season is set during a English naval expedition to find the Northwest passage in the 1840s. Things with perhaps a supernatural cause start to go wrong.

This season seems almost classically English. Lots of established British actors playing stiff upper lip types. It’s well acted and the scenes set in the Arctic ice are gorgeous.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #1692 on: February 12, 2021, 03:07:01 AM »

The first season is set during a English naval expedition to find the Northwest passage in the 1840s. Things with perhaps a supernatural cause start to go wrong.

Oh, the Franklin expedition! Looks like Season 1 is based on Dan Simmons's book The Terror, a fictionalized version of it. Great book, and the nonfiction version of the expedition is fascinating, too. Personally, I don't think I'd ever set foot on a ship named the Terror.

I wonder how the series stacks up against the book.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #1693 on: February 12, 2021, 06:24:54 AM »

Oh, the Franklin expedition! Looks like Season 1 is based on Dan Simmons's book The Terror, a fictionalized version of it. Great book, and the nonfiction version of the expedition is fascinating, too. Personally, I don't think I'd ever set foot on a ship named the Terror.

I’m now onto episode 3.  ;D

It’s very atmospheric. Maybe a little slow for some but it suits the material.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #1694 on: February 12, 2021, 09:12:00 PM »

Bliss

Love Salma Hayek.  She and Owen Wilson star in this confusing and messy flick.  Whats reality and what isnt.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #1695 on: February 18, 2021, 12:53:31 AM »

An American Werewolf in London, which has been on my watchlist for years. I liked it, although the ending was sad.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #1696 on: February 18, 2021, 05:09:16 AM »

I ended up bingeing the whole series. The supernatural elements were only a part of the story. Most of it was a realistic story of the challenges of enduring being trapped in sea ice and then deciding to walk out when its clear the sea won’t be opening up anytime soon. The supernatural attacks were just an added challenge to what already would be pretty steep odds of survival.

I enjoyed it. It had ten episodes of around 45 minutes each, so they stretched the story out but I didn't find it dragged too much.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #1697 on: February 18, 2021, 09:35:49 AM »

I ended up bingeing the whole series.. . . I enjoyed it. It had ten episodes of around 45 minutes each, so they stretched the story out but I didn't find it dragged too much.

You must have read my mind because I was just going to ask you about this. I have an entire free weekend coming up before I get snowed under with work. I'll give this one a try, especially given that I loved Simmons's book and have read several nonfiction accounts.

Most of it was a realistic story of the challenges of enduring being trapped in sea ice and then deciding to walk out when its clear the sea won’t be opening up anytime soon.

I'm claustrophobic, and the thought of being trapped on a ship in ice for months on end makes my stomach knot up. I never would've made it.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #1698 on: February 20, 2021, 10:44:00 PM »

I enjoyed it. It had ten episodes of around 45 minutes each, so they stretched the story out but I didn't find it dragged too much.

I just finished Episode 6. I'm enjoying it a lot. As you said, it's very atmospheric, and I'm finding the slow pace deliciously creepy. I'm so glad they didn't rush this or try to squeeze it into a smaller number of episodes. That would have ruined it.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #1699 on: February 23, 2021, 02:07:27 PM »

Sound of metal.
Absolutely brilliant loved it.

9/10
Just rewatched this I liked it so much.
About a rock drummer who suddenly goes deaf.
Really touching film.
Kevin

All You Need Is Love
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 107

Page created in 3.039 seconds with 71 queries.