Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: underated fave on Beatles4 Sale  (Read 4258 times)

underated fave on Beatles4 Sale
« on: October 18, 2007, 12:54:15 AM »

There were a number of tunes written in the the early phase in the Lennon/McCartney collaboration. Many didn't get completed until years later. One of these was "Ill Follow The Sun", which ended up on the "Beatles For Sale" album (in UK)--recorded in late '64, AND on The American Capitol release "Beatles '65" (which is where I first heard it as a kid)

This song NEVER got the recognition it deserved, in my opinion. It's a beautiful song---but I feel it's way too short.  I've always complained about the brevity of this one. It clocks in at 1:51--not even two minutes long! IMO,it should've been at least another 20-30 seconds longer...but that would neccessitate adding another chorus. The bridge is perfect as is "..and now the time has come and so my love I must go..etc."
and the guitar break couldn't be extended because that would appear a little odd...Granted, Macca and John adding another line or two would have taken a little tinkering, but it sure would've been worth it to lengthen such a lovely folk-type ballad as IFTS.

anyone agree ?

Pasta Cheif

• Getting Better
Re: underated fave on Beatles4 Sale
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 10:13:45 PM »

I forgot that is so short at 1:51! Yes, I agree,  this song is an underrated gem. Beutiful melody and I like the backing vocals of John on the "and now the time has come.." section.
"Dont take life seriously, you'll never get out of it alive"

BlueMeanie

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 09:56:47 AM »

I think it's a poor album. Their worst IMO. Of the good songs on there, I don't think any are underrated, except maybe 'What You're Doing'. I've tended to overlook the song in the past possibly because it's sandwiched between 'I Don't Want To Spoil The Party', and 'Everybody's Trying To Be My Baby'.

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2007, 04:05:45 PM »

Quote from: 483
I think it's a poor album. Their worst IMO. Of the good songs on there, I don't think any are underrated, except maybe 'What You're Doing'. I've tended to overlook the song in the past possibly because it's sandwiched between 'I Don't Want To Spoil The Party', and 'Everybody's Trying To Be My Baby'.

I first became aware of "What You're Doing" (w/ that great Buddy Holly lick) on the U.S. Capitol album "Beatles VI"(released in '65)---it's one of my fave "first phase" Beatle tunes. It has Paul written all over it.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2007, 02:04:40 AM »

'What Your Doing' is a good song, but definately has one of the worst guitar solo's in the history of modern music.

'I'll Follow The Sun' is ok, but I truly feel its a bit overrated actually. Sounds like it took Paul about three minutes to write.

If I had to vote for an underrated tune that I really like off of the album it would be 'I Dont Want To Spoil The Party'. Love it.

('I'm A Loser' and 'Every Little Thing' are the two best off of the album, but I dont consider them underrated)

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2007, 03:04:41 AM »

I don't neccessarily fully agree, but I love what your saying Tk. I like that quirky solo. Very transistor radio mellow tone-ness.
The melody in IFTS is amazing but it is a simple, some could say lazy structure.
Gotta love Beatles for their diversity.
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

ShesCominDownFastYesSheIs

• A Beginning
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2007, 02:54:56 PM »

Baby's in Black is easily the album's best song
It's great...it sold...it's the bloody Beatles' White Album, shut up

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2007, 11:50:08 PM »

Quote from: 532
Baby's in Black is easily the album's best song

That whining, sloppy tune. Surely you jest.

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Confusion will be my epitaph"
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2007, 03:59:38 AM »

what youre doing and ill follow the sun are the two standout tracks for me on this album which i feel is there weakest of all there albums and i never listen to it.

i also feel that ill follow the sun could be  longer, in the same way i wish that can you take me back after cry baby cry on the white album could have been a great song imo

also i have a strange association with ill follow the sun and martha my dear :s

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2007, 09:25:58 PM »

Quote from: 373
'I'll Follow The Sun' is ok, but I truly feel its a bit overrated actually. Sounds like it took Paul about three minutes to write.

well, it was one of the first song's he ever wrote in the early days, so that's why it's
so simple! :)

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2007, 10:26:55 PM »

Some of the songs on this album are my favorite!

Eight Days a Week (another #1, by Johnny).

I Don't Want to Spoil the Party (by John?)
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2007, 10:36:14 PM »

Quote from: 758
i also feel that ill follow the sun could be  longer, in the same way i wish that can you take me back after cry baby cry on the white album could have been a great song imo
s

yeah...I always thought that was a haunting little snippet on TWA--another example of a lost treasure- sorta like the plethora of stuff on side 2 of Abbey R. that never were fully fleshed out, like "Her Majesty" and the like.

Buttmunker

• Getting Better
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2007, 11:16:02 PM »

Quote from: 829

I first became aware of "What You're Doing" (w/ that great Buddy Holly lick) on the U.S. Capitol album "Beatles VI"(released in '65)---it's one of my fave "first phase" Beatle tunes. It has Paul written all over it.

That's interesting.  I first became aware of "What You're Doing" on the recent release called "Love."  It was in the medley of "Drive My Car/The Word/What You're Doing," and I had been well aware of the first two songs in that medley, but when they played "What You're Doing," my ears perked up.  I'm saying to myself, "what song is that?"  I pick up the CD case and see what it is.  I then search through my 300+ unorganized (at the moment, I was in the middle of a big move) CD collection for "Beatles for Sale," and listen to the entire song.  I love it.

A-hem...sorry, I know this thread is supposed to be about "I'll Follow The Sun."  Listen, when I first listened to Beatles For Sale many years ago, "I'll Follow The Sun" was the standout song on the whole album.  Like many, I didn't really like the album as a whole, and selected only "I'll Follow The Sun" for my private Beatles compilation.  Oh, and "No Reply," and "Eight Days A Week," too.

Chris

• A Beginning
    • My songs and stuff
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2007, 08:43:22 PM »

"What You're Doing" suffers in its inclusion on Love, because the best part of the song (to my ears) is left out -- the bridge (or "middle eight," as the Beatles called it). It's incredibly catchy, and quite inventive for the time, chord-change wise. "I've been waiting here for youuuuuu!" Lovely.

"I Don't Want to Spoil the Party" is underrated as well. It's one of the very few songs in the world with a country'n'western feel that I actually like. My favorite bit is when John sings a couple lines by himself, near the end of each verse.

This is all not to mention that John's cover of "Rock and Roll Music" utterly buries "Twist and Shout." And why George Martin decided to include "Mr. Moonlight" on the album, and omit "Leave My Kitten Alone," is anybody's guess!
Here's my book. It's funny! I promise.<br />Amazon

Buttmunker

• Getting Better
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2007, 01:21:53 AM »

I feel like I'm being stalked :)

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2007, 07:58:06 AM »

What You're Doing and Follow the Sun for me

Chris

• A Beginning
    • My songs and stuff
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2007, 05:12:32 PM »

Stalked? For free? Forget it!  ;D
Here's my book. It's funny! I promise.<br />Amazon

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2007, 10:07:42 AM »

Quote from: 758
what youre doing and ill follow the sun are the two standout tracks for me on this album which i feel is there weakest of all there albums and i never listen to it.

also i have a strange association with ill follow the sun and martha my dear :s

Agreed.
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

dcowboys107

• A Beginning
  • Surf's Up
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2008, 03:44:48 AM »

I think just about all the tracks are a bit underrated. But I'd say "What You're Doing", "Honey Don't", and "Every Little Thing" are underrated.  I still enjoy listening to this album in its entirety.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2008, 09:05:23 AM »

I think 'What You're Doing' has been completely overlooked in the past. In fact, it was only the 'Love' album that brought it back to my attention. Though strangely it's included during the worst moment on the album, imo. That 'Stars On 45' 3 song segue makes me cringe every time I hear it!
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.243 seconds with 87 queries.