Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: John & George  (Read 3988 times)

John & George
« on: March 16, 2009, 11:23:28 PM »

I read recently that John refused to play on George's songs after and including Revolver.

Does anyone know if this is fact and if so why ?

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
Re: John & George
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 12:31:55 PM »

A quick google of various post -Revolver George songs shows John present and accounted for on many.
don't follow leaders

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 12:40:48 PM »

Quote;

"Love You To- Harrison

Another of Harrison's that reflects his Eastern wisdom gathered from his visits with the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi. This song started a less than happy tradition, that of Lennon refusing to contribute to any of Harrison's songs. It was recorded on April 11 and 13, 1966."

http://www.iamthebeatles.com/article1008.html

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 12:41:51 PM »

Quote from: 185
A quick google of various post -Revolver George songs shows John present and accounted for on many.

do you have any links ?

The Swine

• Getting Better
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 12:58:58 PM »

its nonsense. john contributed to ALL of georges songs on revolver besides love you to and every song after that with the exception of i me mine. his parts were sometimes small tho.
THE INTERNET IS NOT A PLACE FOR 13 YEAR OLDS

The Swine

• Getting Better
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 01:00:39 PM »

oh and within you without you of course
THE INTERNET IS NOT A PLACE FOR 13 YEAR OLDS

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 01:36:59 PM »

Quote from: 748
its nonsense. john contributed to ALL of georges songs on revolver besides love you to and every song after that with the exception of i me mine. his parts were sometimes small tho.

Im not saying your wrong but is there anywhere I can verify this ?

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 02:04:44 PM »

Quote from: 1803

Im not saying your wrong but is there anywhere I can verify this ?

Easy. Google any George song and you get heaps of entries. Many will give you who played what. (I found five for Old Brown shoe on the 1st page alone.) Here's a link:
http://www.google.co.uk/
Or if you're suspicious of the internet many many books do the same. Statements of fact are normally very easy to verify or disprove.
don't follow leaders

Ged

• A Beginning
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 03:05:55 PM »

I know Wiki isn't the most reliable of sources but i've certainly read some of these statements elsewhere before. John certainly had some imput on Taxman if this is to be believed including from the horses mouth regarding his assistance with some of the lyrics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxman

You can wiki all of Georges songs to see who plays on them, for instance John doesn't seem to appear on Savoy Truffle, but does on Old Brown Shoe http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Brown_Shoe

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009, 02:49:58 PM »

I think John didn't contribute to "Here Comes The Sun", for example, and had little participation in other George's songs like "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" (only some lead guitar parts), "Something" (only rhythm guitar), "Old Brown Shoe" (only backing vocals) and "Taxman" (only backing vocals and maybe cowbell).
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

Leopard Skin Pill Box Man

• A Beginning
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 05:56:00 PM »

To add to the above commnet, I think I read the reason for John's lack of contribution to "here comes the sun" is because of he and yoko's car crash just previous to the session.

Dr Robert

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2009, 01:26:17 AM »

Quote from: 1803
I read recently that John refused to play on George's songs after and including Revolver.

Does anyone know if this is fact and if so why ?

The most glaring example of John playing on a Harrison song post Revolver would be "For You Blue." Anyone who's seen "Let It Be" knows Lennon played the lap steel guitar with a shotgun shell (hence Harrison's quip of "Go Johnny, Go!" during the solo) on that song. He also sings backup on "I Want To Tell You," helped Harrison write "Taxman" and sang backup on said song, etc. Like a previous poster said, just do a Google search and you should be able to pull up the info.

Lennon never seemed to do much backup singing on George's songs, but I always felt it was because his register was too similar to George's; Paul's voice sort of naturally sounded better backing up George than John's did. But who really knows?

On a related note, has anyone heard the rumor about an alleged fist fight between John and George during the Let It Be sessions? I read somewhere that after George had his spat with Paul ("I'll play it how you want me to play it, or I won't play at all"), he got into a heated argument with John about John's increasing isolation from the group, which eventually came to blows. I've only seen this rumor in one place (Wikipedia), and haven't been able to verify it anywhere else.

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2009, 05:04:14 AM »

Quote from: 1689

The most glaring example of John playing on a Harrison song post Revolver would be "For You Blue." Anyone who's seen "Let It Be" knows Lennon played the lap steel guitar with a shotgun shell (hence Harrison's quip of "Go Johnny, Go!" during the solo) on that song. He also sings backup on "I Want To Tell You," helped Harrison write "Taxman" and sang backup on said song, etc. Like a previous poster said, just do a Google search and you should be able to pull up the info.

Lennon never seemed to do much backup singing on George's songs, but I always felt it was because his register was too similar to George's; Paul's voice sort of naturally sounded better backing up George than John's did. But who really knows?

On a related note, has anyone heard the rumor about an alleged fist fight between John and George during the Let It Be sessions? I read somewhere that after George had his spat with Paul ("I'll play it how you want me to play it, or I won't play at all"), he got into a heated argument with John about John's increasing isolation from the group, which eventually came to blows. I've only seen this rumor in one place (Wikipedia), and haven't been able to verify it anywhere else.

Never heard that one, that would be wild. I have read that Ringo punched Paul in the nose  :(
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Casbah

• A Beginning
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2009, 01:59:03 AM »

I agree with the posters above that John had a certain amount of participation on Georges songs post Revolver, but I think due to Yoko and the heroin and his waning interest in anything Beatles at that point his participation was spotty except for his own songs. But don't forget he and George were still playing together after the Beatles broke up, so I don't think it was a big deal for either of them really. I'm guessing that George was just as happy recording the guitar parts himself.

Let's face it. John was a little out of his tree at this point :)

BUT! BUT! BUT!! I was delighted to learn that it was JOHN who played the jangly little finger picking rhythm on Octopus's Garden.  It's a fun little riff and it was good to see him chip in on a Ringo song...but, I digress...
"Someone told me a few minutes ago they saw John walking on the street once wearing a button saying "I Love Paul." And this girl said she asked him, "Why are you wearing a button that says ' I Love Paul'? He said "Because I love Paul."

Out Of Me Head

• A Beginning
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2009, 10:35:47 PM »

In that Jann Wenner interview, I sensed a lot of resentment at Harrison, especially when All Things Must Pass outstripped Lennon's solo efforts.

Sonic Blue

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2009, 10:17:56 AM »

Quote from: 1313
In that Jann Wenner interview, I sensed a lot of resentment at Harrison, especially when All Things Must Pass outstripped Lennon's solo efforts.

Certainly the interview which took place only a few short weeks before Court proceedings began to dissolve the group's partnership caught Lennon in an (understandably) resentful mood. However, the interview  was published very shortly after the release of "All Things Must Pass" & prior to the release of "John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band".
While things had been heated between John & George whilst filming at Twickenham in Jan '69 they improved a great deal after they relocated to Apple studios.
The purpose of life is to find out 'Who am I?', 'Why am I here?' and 'Where am I going?
- George Harrison in 1992.

Page created in 0.418 seconds with 75 queries.