Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 44

Author Topic: How Did YOU Discover The Beatles?  (Read 188796 times)

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
Re: How Did YOU Discover The Beatles?
« Reply #560 on: August 06, 2009, 11:18:51 PM »

Nice story, welcome to the Forums Wonderland (you an Alice fan then like me? ;))

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

Wonderland

• Getting Better
  • I'm as crazy as you want me to be
« Reply #561 on: August 08, 2009, 10:18:02 AM »

Thanks, Andy Smith. Yep, I'm an Alice fan. ^_^ I used to love the Disney movie (again, when I was younger) and then I started reading the books a while ago.

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #562 on: August 11, 2009, 10:46:08 AM »

Apple Beatle, here is my myspace URL  http://www.myspace.com/jimmygraymusic

the song "Snow Day" is the only one on there that is Beatles influenced like I mentioned.  The other song there is before they really hit me.  You can see the difference they made haha
Thats a great Macca voice you got going there. :)
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

genie1985

« Reply #563 on: September 04, 2009, 12:12:17 PM »

I discover The Beatles from one of my friends!
 :)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 12:20:57 PM by Bobber »

Bobber

« Reply #564 on: September 04, 2009, 12:21:51 PM »

Hi genie. Welcome at DM's. Not here to try and sell shoes I hope.

magnum475

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #565 on: September 09, 2009, 11:09:16 PM »

I got hooked onto The Beatles my freshman year in college all thanks to my then roommate and now best friend.

breedofrandy

• A Thousand Pages
  • Ringo Love <3
    • Me Tumblr Blog
« Reply #566 on: September 09, 2009, 11:36:22 PM »

I got hooked onto The Beatles my freshman year in college all thanks to my then roommate and now best friend.

cool friend!!  ;D

Welcome Magnum!

"Ringo will always be my friend"--George Harrison (Rolling Stone Magazine 1987)

FutureStar

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #567 on: September 22, 2009, 02:00:13 AM »

Well, here's my story (sorry if it's too long)

When I was younger, I knew who the Beatles were but I didn't know much about them.  My parents liked their songs, but they weren't big fans (my dad only had a few singles, and the only Beatles record my mother had was Rubber Soul), but my dad who was a latin music collector did have this CD of Beatles songs recorded in latin rhythms, so I had heard some of their songs before.   Fast forward to about 2 years ago: my marketing professor at college told us that he was taking us to a presentation a fellow professor made about 1967 instead of class.  Obviously the presentation included songs from Sgt. Pepper.  I liked the songs he presented (Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band & Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds) so as soon as I got home I downloaded the songs.   I kept them in my iPod, dowloaded a few more songs, but still I wasn't really interested in listening and discovering all their songs.

About a week or two ago, VH1 Classic aired several documentaries about the Beatles and they also aired "A Hard Day's Night" and "Help!".  I saw AHDN, really liked it and decided to get the soundtrack.  On 9/9/09, I bought the album, loved it, and I have been a fan ever since!! Listening to every record has been a powerful experience.  So many songs I had heard before in movies, TV, etc, and I didn't know they were done by the Beatles! 

Bobber

« Reply #568 on: September 22, 2009, 06:47:15 AM »

^Better late than never. lol. Nice story ;D

sgt. peppie

• Getting Better
  • Lolwut?
« Reply #569 on: September 23, 2009, 10:50:25 PM »

well, i've always known who they were. i'd mention them every now and then, like when i heard the name 'ringo', i said that i'd name my future son that!  ;D If it weren't for the simpsons, i wouldn't know a thing about them. also, for some reason, i remember singing the chorus of 'long, long, long' to myself, and i have no idea where it came from, but i'd sing it silently to myself.

then in the 8th grade, my art teacher told me to make a mural in the hallway, music themed, and i agreed. i drew up sketches, i first thought the beatles. so i drew the beatles as bears (school mascot) crossing abbey road, but i forgot what they looked like so i drew how they looked in '64. (now that i look at the sketch again, the bears look NOTHING like the bealtes!) so i got a picture of all 4 beatles off the internet to know what i'm even drawing. my teacher suggested painting the sgt. pepper album, and i was like 'sgt. pepper?! wtf is that?'. anyways, i drew the final draft, and i thought that listening to their music would be a good way to think of more ideas for the mural. i loved it alot, there were so many innovative and familiar songs. like 'here comes the sun' and 'help!'. what got me hooked was 'come together' it sounded so raw! then i finished up the mural and i'm now a huge beatles fan!
The Beatles project

(i'm sorry if there's so many flaws! i accidentally made paul right handed and john left handed)

George does not approve.

Melack

• A Beginning
  • I'm a Loser
« Reply #570 on: September 25, 2009, 08:57:59 PM »

To make a long story short.

My father and The Red Album are the two biggest reasons I discovered The Beatles!

sgt. peppie

• Getting Better
  • Lolwut?
« Reply #571 on: September 27, 2009, 02:55:43 AM »

well, i introduced my 4 year old half-sister to the beatles
i watched 'yellow submarine' with her
she doesn't care about their songs for now, but she gets really excited when she hears the song
'yellow submarine' playing  ;D

George does not approve.

Griff

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #572 on: October 05, 2009, 08:46:52 PM »

Lennon asking me could he borrow a pick!

Griff  Big Three

sgt. peppie

• Getting Better
  • Lolwut?
« Reply #573 on: October 05, 2009, 10:05:05 PM »

i just feel like saying this: John's birthday is on Friday!!!

George does not approve.

cassNJ

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #574 on: October 06, 2009, 01:11:30 PM »

It's nice to see some fans of Lewis Carroll here.   I don't know if you're aware that those books have a special connection with The Beatles.  John and Paul were both big fans of his books.  They were inspiration for some of their lyrics (like the Walrus), Paul had little statues of Alice characters in his garden at Cavendish, and he gave John a first edition of "Alice in Wonderland" as a gift.  But that's off-topic; this is supposed to be about how we discovered The Beatles.  Here's my story:

I was a little kid when they came to America.  I was probably the only person living then that didn't see their debut on the Ed Sullivan Show.  But I had to watch my older cousins go crazy over them.  I thought they were very silly (my cousins, that is)  but I did find their songs very catchy, especially "I Want To Hold Your Hand" and "I Saw Her Standing There."

Then, when I was a bit older, one of my brothers bought Rubber Soul and Yesterday and Today.  I fell in love with their music, especially the acoustic guitar songs.  My sister was an alto and I was a very strained soprano.  We would work out the harmonies on songs like "If I Fell", and anticipating the advent of Beatles Rock Band by 40 years, we used croquet mallets as pretend guitars to play along to tunes like "We Can Work It Out."  Eventually I got a real guitar and, armed with a thick Beatles songbook, taught myself to play.  I could even do a reasonable version of "Blackbird."  I have to confess Paul was always my favorite, not because he was the Cute Beatle (ok, it was a little bit of that) but because I always loved his songs and his voice. 

By the time I went off to college, however, it wasn't cool to like The Beatles or Paul McCartney.  I was listening to completely different music.  Eventually, like many baby boomers, I realized that the new stuff coming out just didn't have the transformative effect on me that music in the 60's had.  There would be an album once in awhile that captured my imagination, but it was never quite the same.  Music became much less important in my life.

Then a few years ago I was faced with months of medical treatment and recuperation.  I decided to make a playlist of all my very favorite music to help get me through it.  Most artists, I discovered, had just one or maybe two songs worthy of my playlist.  My very favorite groups, like The Who, the Doors, and Buffalo Springfield, got 4 to 6 songs.  But when it came to The Beatles, I discovered that I couldn't narrow down my list to just 6.  Heck, I couldn't even do a top 20!  As I listened to their music I realized that they were in a class by themselves, and always will be.  So I became a fangirl all over again.

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #575 on: October 07, 2009, 11:07:44 PM »

i've always wondered how i will discover the Beatles in my next life! ;D

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

lucy~(-_-*...

• Getting Better
  • חחח...Rabbi Saul
« Reply #576 on: October 09, 2009, 08:09:59 AM »

I discovered the Beatles in beatles night we did I and my family. It was a very successful evening, and preparations that revealed me very Beatles! Very! I admit it.

Eliza

• Getting Better
  • You've got a new horizon It's ephemeral style
« Reply #577 on: October 09, 2009, 01:47:47 PM »

When I was about one years old my mom took me to a Ringo Starr concert, since being one I don't remember much. That was before I even knew who the beatles were. A few years ago I was flipping through the channels and Hard Days Night was on which was one of my favorite movies before I was a fan, while I was watching it I relized how amazing they were and became obssesed.
Put yer tongue away it looks digusting hanging out all pinked and naked!-George Harrison

Love forever, love is free Let's turn forever you and me Windmill, windmill for the land Is everybody in?

dramster

• One And One Is Two
  • nothing is real
    • My Myspace Music page
« Reply #578 on: October 15, 2009, 04:04:18 AM »

Thanks for asking!

When I was a boy in the 70s my parents had a lousy record collection, but luckily they did have some early beatles on tape - With the Beatles and A Collection of Beatles Oldies to be precise.  They were a big part of my childhood, being the only great music that I had access to!  Then in the 80s my dad bought us a vinyl copy of The Number Ones album, and that was my first exposure to the later Beatles, which I thought a bit weird at the time.

As I hit the early teen tears I forgot about the Beatles and began listening to 80s pop, until I just couldn't take it any more.  I rediscovered the Beatles, collected all their albums on vinyl, and listened to nothing else for years (I think the 20th anniversary of Sgt Pepper in 1987 did a lot to rekindle my interest).  As I got older I more began to appreciate their later work.  That's something I love about them, that you can grow up with them as they mature from album to album.

After delving into various other music genres and artists over the years I find that I keep coming back to the Beatles.  The reissues have been a perfect excuse to sit down and listen to all their albums yet again, and they sound as fresh and exciting as ever!

"show me that i'm everywhere and get me home for tea"

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #579 on: October 15, 2009, 08:01:26 AM »

Welcome Dramster...sounds like we're same era, thanks for sharing. :)
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 44

Page created in 0.284 seconds with 86 queries.