Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: THE KINKS!  (Read 24159 times)

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
Re: THE KINKS!
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2007, 08:32:41 PM »

Quote from: 483
I suppose mine are all people who write about England and English people. I could put Damon Albarn in there.

I think the Beatles wrote more univerally. Their writing isn't as exclusive as Ray Davies is or early Pink Floyd and some Who.  That's REAL English stuff. I think Bob Dylan is a universal writer too which is why he and the Beatles stand out. I mean among about a million other reasons.

BTW, Daveram. I LOVE that pic of Paul in your sig. He's the only reason I watch that video. Who the hell said he looks ugly with a beard????? I mean, that's ugly??

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2007, 05:31:02 AM »

This is awesome. Ray and Damon Albarn doing Waterloo Sunset AND then Ray surprising Albarn with Parklife. Good Lord I could cry.

VBjbxJ1ZjHY

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
    • Phoebe Claire Publishing, LLC
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2007, 05:18:23 PM »

My little brother's band got to play with Ray a few years back.  Ray let them chose a song, but I forget which.  

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Confusion will be my epitaph"
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2007, 01:30:40 AM »

Quote from: 216
This is awesome. Ray and Damon Albarn doing Waterloo Sunset AND then Ray surprising Albarn with Parklife. Good Lord I could cry.

VBjbxJ1ZjHY

fantastic would have been one of damons greatest moments i should think

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2007, 01:21:45 PM »

U.K. friends can pick up a FREE copy of Ray's new solo album 'Working Man's Cafe' in today's edition of The Sunday Times.

Cheers!

:)

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2008, 05:13:29 PM »

Ray is touring now and I'll be seeing him this Sunday in Boston (USA).

8)

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Confusion will be my epitaph"
« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2008, 11:23:21 PM »

Quote from: 483
I suppose mine are all people who write about England and English people. I could put Damon Albarn in there.

:) yes i thin ksome itmes he is overlooked because of the whole britpop nonsense as it is uncool nowadays to have liked it.

he can also turn his hand to any style (gorillaz) and laos Graham Coxon who played a very improtant part of turning Albarns songs nto the classics they are today

id throw in Morrisey/Marr, Robert Smith, Andy Partridge, Robert Fripp, Anderson and Howe

McLennon

• Getting Better
  • There are 7 levels!
« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2008, 12:01:27 AM »

A Brilliant band!!! I really want to see Ray Davies in concert now!
There are 7 levels!

Oh Pineapple

• Getting Better
  • in the middle of the roundabout
« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2008, 05:16:47 AM »

I love their song.."You Really Got Me".
Its really great.
"..Words are flowing out like endless rain into a paper cup, they slither while they pass, they slip away across the universe. Pools of sorrow waves of joy are drifting through my opened mind.."

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2008, 11:53:58 PM »

Quote from: 544
A Brilliant band!!! I really want to see Ray Davies in concert now!

I've had the pleasure of catching both his current and previous solo show. Go for it if you can.

:)

Waitrose

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2008, 12:56:36 PM »

The Kinks are one of my favourite bands of all time.  What a great songwriter Ray Davies is.  And I agree with the previous comments about Damon Albarn, he is the 90s/00s verison of David Bowie.

Herecomesyoursun

• A Thousand Pages
  • Shake your tired eyes the world is waiting for you
« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2008, 06:27:34 AM »

this time tomorrow where will we be?

[face=Arial]            Give me love, give me peace on Earth...[/face]

HeadInTheClouds

• One And One Is Two
  • Goo goo g'joob g'goo goo g'joob
« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2008, 11:02:22 AM »

I love the Kinks :)
<br />&quot; The Beatles saved the world from boredom. &quot; - George Harrison

HeyJude18

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Love and Peace are eternal" - John Lennon
    • le blog
« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2008, 06:59:42 PM »

*sings* Victoria, Victoria, Victoira, Victoria...  LOL!  One of the few Kinks songs I've heard, but I like it :)

RAIN-ed on: July 17, 2010; STARR-strucked: July 23, 2010; PAUL-inated: August 8, 2010

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2008, 07:47:21 AM »

Just listened to them now. I love that band. My mom was saying "imagine me, younger than you, dancing to this stuff!"  ;D ;D ;D

Sunny Afternoon is an excellent song along with Dead End Street... etc etc

Arsenal is forever England and England is forever Arsenal

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2008, 11:04:24 PM »

Arthur is my fav Kinks album!  :)

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

python

• A Beginning
« Reply #56 on: October 29, 2008, 12:07:19 PM »

i love the face to face lp.also,daves,im not like everybody else is one of their finest b sides.
Turn off your mind,relax and float down stream

Pegasus

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #57 on: May 09, 2009, 12:11:17 PM »

The Greatest strength of Ray Davies is his "Observation and Comment" style of songwriting....

It was said of Hollywood Legend - a "Celluloid Hero" indeed - Actor  Cary Grant that he could both PLAY a character...and at the same time "Comment" on him...! just watch "Arsenic & Old Lace" etc...

A Rare ability.....Ray Davies as a songwriter shares that rare ability....

Look at "A Well Respected Man"....about town, doing the best things so conservatively....!

who could get a line like that into a song back in 1965...?

going on about "While Discussing Foreign trade /...The Father pulls the Maid...who passes looks as well as milk...!!

it's all superbly put together with biting satire & wit...

Ray made a deliberate decision NOT to "Be Like everybody Else" circa 1966....as everyone went into Psychedelia...Ray chose to question the whole giddy sixties scene in "Dedicated Follower of Fashion"

- "Everywhere the Carnabetian Army marches on....Each one a ..." !

The Kinks - a Classic Band of course - could NOT actually play that much to start with....hence all the early songs are kept SIMPLE...tho' Ray turns the band's musical limitations to their advantage with astounding perception...

listen to one of their RARE covers...."Dancing in The Street" - where half way through they TOTALLY LOSE the Melody...!

Ray thus always kept the song technically straightforward....Dave WAS a stunning Rock guitarist ("Milk Cow Blues" worked FAR better !) ...but the band were happiest with a standard beat...embellished by  a bit of classy Nicky Hopkins piano & harpsichord ("He's a "Session Man"...."He's Not paid to THINK...just Play" !)

Ray thus keeps it basic...yet the STRENGTH lies in the Riffs...the wistful Ray & Dave Harmonies (credit MUCH to Dave with the STRONGER harmony voice !)...and the SUPERB Lyrics...

Ray looks at the sixties world around him...of Followers of fashion...profumo scandals....Tax dodgers...Class divides...etc

After the Mini opera of the "Love affair" of the first few singles "which then turns sour" - going from "You Really Got Me" "All Day & All of The Night"....then "Tired of Waiting For You"...through "Set Me Free" to  "See My Friends"  - inter-cut only by the Soul homage often overlooked "Everybody's Gonna Be Happy" - which featured magnificent Drumming by Mick Avory.

Ray then concluded the Kinks first "hit singles" phase with  "Till The End of The Day" - a curtain call number....then turned his attention properly to Albums....tho' the 'b' side (worthy of a "Double A" in fact) hinted at Ray even in 1965...as earlier with "Tired of Waiting For You"... feeling a sense of a deeper  "Wistful Loss"....not just of a Girlfiernd this time...but a way of life ...."Won't you tell me...Where have All The Good Times Gone...?"  

After looking at Trendy chappies "pulling their frilly nylon panties right up tight..." Ray turned his view to the sad plight of the world around him...the Sixties working class fodder...folk who Often voted Conservative too !

"There's A Crack up in the Ceiling...and the kitchen sink is Leaking..."

"Dead End Street" was a song your Nan & Grandad could identify with...."We are strictly second class...."

the song was TOTALLY at odds with the more famous  trendy "Swinging Sixties" image of nearly every other band of the day.......but then Ray was "Not Like Everybody Else" was he...?

"Dead End Street" was sheer BITING Social comment the like of Bob Dylan could appreciate...!

"Face To Face" in 1966 was Ray's first "Real" themed Album....with digs in various directions....how working class folk are conned ("Holiday in Wakkiki")....the Upper Classes..."Most Exclusive Residence for Sale"... at, possibly inspired by the then current Michael Caine film: "Alfie" gigolos in "Dandy" (a  welcome USA hit for Ray when covered  by Herman's Hermits)....and  even a nod to hard times a comin' - pre-dating john Fogerty's later Creedence warnings...."Rainy Day in June".... while still looking at his own relationships - "I'll Remember" etc....

Ray produced a timeless classic in "Sunny Afternoon" - his wistful reflective song styling never more honed to perfection....even a (then...and now) controversial admission of: "Telling tales of Drunkenness and cruelty" (Missed by the very stuffy sixties censors !) - plus as Frank Smyth so memorably put it in the Linear notes:

Fate Flings it's last custard pie....The Taxman cometh...!

"Something Else By The Kinks" (1967) takes Ray's sixties writing even further into "Daviesland"....Social comment re the PERILS of smoking...."Harry Rag" is put to a jaunty almost Irish jig style...yet note the underlying sense of despair re the TOTAL Addiction..."I Curse myself for the Life I've Led....and Roll myself a Harry Rag & put myself to bed..." !

For USA fans: "Harry Rag" - Cockney rhyming slang: Harry Rag....f**...British slang for a Cigarette  (presumably nothing else) !

The song is about hopeless addiction to smoking...and addiction in general.

"David Watts" - remember what I said re Cary Grant's "Commenting" ? - Here Ray appears to be cutting that Intolerable School "Golden Boy" down to size....! - or is he ?

Much as we are persuaded to DETEST this "Wonder Boy" Master watts...the refrain is "I WISH I COULD BE LIKE DAVID WATTS...." -Ray is both dismissing Watts...an intolerably "Perfect" schooldays figure : Head boy...captain of the team (spit !) ...yet is also totally ENVIOUS ....Watts only brings Ray's (ours too ?) OWN inner  feelings of inadequacy to the fore...in an open admission of envy & begrudged Admiration:

"And all the Girls in the Neighbourhood Try to go out with David Watts..."  

note Dave & Pete frantically  echo: "wish I wish I wish..." in the background  - as Ray always finds time to inject a sense of flippant humour into his songs....!

The key thing here being that we learn MORE about the writer/singer (Ray...or you..or me etc) than the SUBJECT...."David Watts" as the song really reflects more the attitudes, desires & frustrations etc,  of whoever sings it...than anything about the "Perfect figure" that supposedly is Watts...himself !

This is what I meant about how Ray...like Cary Grant...can "Comment" on something in a song...while appearing to just observe and/or dissect a subject matter....many Ray Davies songs take this subtle & deeper  approach

Ray gets cited now as "Godfather of punk"....but there was in fact a TIMELESSNESS about Ray...he's NOT just "Youth"....he covers all ages plights..."Situations Vacant" reflects the married couples situation....while  "Autumn Almanac" ,"Afternoon Tea", "Tin Soldier Man" etc....are songs a much older person might well identify with....

"This is MY street and I'm Never gonna leave it...and I'm always gonna stay here ..if I live to be Ninety-Nine..."

Considering he was in his twenties back then Ray Davies had a remarkably Mature view of Life & the world....he often spoke like an ELDERLY man disdainfully reflecting on what he DIDN'T like....and wistfully longing for a bygone era he did...or thought he did !

"Waterloo Sunset" - again technically very simple - was a Glorious reflection on British lifestyle and attitude...

"Millions of people swarming like flies round Waterloo Underground...."

plus a nod to the sixties: "But Terry (Terence Stamp ?) and Julie (Julie Christie ?  then stars of "Far From The Madding Crowd") -...cross over the river (Thames) where they feel safe and sound...."

..or is Ray just playing with us here....? - decide for yourself (Ray HAD just been to see that film he later admitted)

...Ray also again detaches himself from the masses (forever the "Introvert Extrovert") ;

"But I Don't...need no friends...as long as I Gaze on Waterloo Sunset...I am in Paradise..."

...and credit Dave too...his superbly distinctive backing harmonies : "La La La..." make it work so superbly...

Hope these Observations of Raymond Douglas Davies songwriting make some kind of sense....let  me know !

Enough waffle for now....!!

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #58 on: July 14, 2009, 09:07:09 PM »

I practically didn`t know the band, except You Really Got Me. Now I`ve listened to it more closely, and recognized Sunny Afternoon and Apeman.
I must confess that I have fallen in love with them. Their style really gets you, gets a hold on you, if I can say so. It is so cute! Now I even think that they are more British than The Beatles. Can it be so?
I also love Lola, Waterloo Sunset, Dedicated Follower Of Fashion, and I especially love Set Me Free.
What are your favourite songs?  :)

georgeharrisonluver

• A Thousand Pages
  • Here Comes the Sun
    • My Beatle's Tumblr!
« Reply #59 on: July 14, 2009, 09:16:20 PM »

The Kinks are great! I had Lola stuck in my head all day yesterday  :)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Page created in 0.261 seconds with 96 queries.