Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: What's in a name?  (Read 6653 times)

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
What's in a name?
« on: May 04, 2007, 09:14:10 AM »

I always like to know the background of things (yes, i like lawyers). So what is the story of your screen name?

When I joined the forums, I had LSD stuck in me head (the song-of course) and the line "a girl with kaleidoscope eyes" kept repeatedly reapeat in me head over and over. So i thought let me be called KE.  

Arsenal is forever England and England is forever Arsenal

Octie

• A Thousand Pages
  • It's sunshine life for me...
Re: What's in a name?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 09:21:41 AM »

Hehe, well, you know my story, but still, here goes...
My name's based on a song as well (hmmm... I wonder which one  ;))
Yeah, I really liked Octopus's Garden when I joined (I still do - it's so sweet and happy), so there we go - I'm Octie. ^___^

I was contemplating calling myself Kaleidoscope_Nose (for 2 reasons  ;)), but that didn't happen...
I'd ask my friends to come and see... an Octopus's Garden with me ^___^

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 09:55:32 AM »

It's 1918. In a tiny little village in the Netherlands, a boy is born and gets the name Sjef, which is short for Josephus.

Sixty years later. The first son of Sjef's first son is born, and following Dutch catholic traditions, he is named after his father's father. But because Sjef is a somewhat old fashioned name by now, his parents decide to call him Joost, which is also short for Josephus.

Twenty eight years later, Joost decides that he's sick of his screen name Biscuit Power (the name of a song by a band he used to like a lot but lost interest in through the years) and trades it in for his real first name.

Hope that clears things up.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 10:18:02 AM »

I expect that you all think that I chose my name because of it's link to Yellow Submarine, right? Wrong!!!

I've been using Apple Mac computers since 1988 almost exclusively. I love them. They're wonderful. They work. The don't crash. The Blue Meanies was the nickname of an engineering department within Apple responsible for the architecture of System 7 in the early 90's.

The Techy bit:

The name originated with the "Pink"/"Blue" split in Apple's operating system planning, where "Pink" was to be the further-out project that ultimately became Taligent, while "Blue" designated incremental improvements to the shipping Mac OS. The "Meanie" part of the name derived from the group's architectural role, which frequently entailed telling engineers in other groups what to do.

While the Meanies have sometimes been characterized as the "coders of System 7", the Mac OS was by then sufficiently large that major subsystems such as QuickDraw and QuickTime were developed and maintained by specialized groups, and the Meanies primarily focussed on getting the pieces to work together.

The name appeared outside of Apple as an Easter egg starting in System 7.0.1, where the text "Help! Help! We're being held prisoner in a system software factory!" and "The Blue Meanies" was followed by a list of names. Subsequent releases were updated to track the comings and goings of people in the group.

A certain keyboard combination revealed this picture.

So, they are my real hero's.

tangerine

• Getting Better
  • here comes the sun
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2007, 10:22:32 AM »

good thread!

Well, I've always liked the line from LSD 'tangerine trees and marmalade skies' - it's just pure genius isn't it? And it's John Lennon

And then I also love the 'creme tangerine' lyric from 'Savoy Truffle. And it's George Harrison.

And as John and George are my two favourite Beatles, and 'tangerine' is a word common to both of them because of their song lyrics so to me, it is a (rather strange) reference to both George and John who are two very special people to me (not to leave out Paul and Ringo though!)

And I wanted a one word username that is fairly short

And I really like tangerines anyway  ;D

<br />But every so often you come across something truly inspiring...<br />
<br />

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2007, 11:13:17 AM »

Quote from: 483
I've been using Apple Mac computers since 1988 almost exclusively. I love them. They're wonderful. They work. The don't crash.

I'm a graphic designer. Almost all graphic designers work with Macs. I don't. I worked with Macs almost exclusively from 1996 until 2005 and I still own an iMac, but I must say that I prefer PCs now.

I often work with big files (200-300 MB is no exception) and the Macs I worked with crashed at least once a day... All of them... The PC I work on now crashed just once in the last two years.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2007, 12:36:07 PM »

Quote from: 56

I'm a graphic designer. Almost all graphic designers work with Macs. I don't. I worked with Macs almost exclusively from 1996 until 2005 and I still own an iMac, but I must say that I prefer PCs now.

I often work with big files (200-300 MB is no exception) and the Macs I worked with crashed at least once a day... All of them... The PC I work on now crashed just once in the last two years.

300Mb! Blimey, what are you doing?

I started on Macs and briefly had to go over to PC. I always found the PC's a big problem with handling large files, but the Macs always seem to cope. In my experience anyway. Whatever works, use it!

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2007, 02:39:32 PM »

mine is because I am a fan of this man.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2007, 02:48:20 PM »

Quote from: 682
mine is because I am a fan of this man.

I never would have guessed. Really.

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2007, 02:51:29 PM »

I never would have guessed. Really.

;D hard to believe I know

somedude210

• A Thousand Pages
  • Insanity is just a state of mind
    • Coughlin Computers
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2007, 05:05:13 PM »

Mine is just a username that i have used throughout the years. and its always kinda stuck. you all know me as somedude (or my real name) so changing it would completely throw some of you off or you'd still refer to me as somedude, so thats the origin of my name. kinda bland but yea, thats it ;D
«if asking, begging and pleading doesn't work, always go with a song and dance number.» ;D
In need of a computer? visit Coughlin Computers http://coughlincomputers.tripod.com

legthi

• Getting Better
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2007, 07:47:49 PM »

Ever seen Rolling Stones Rock n roll circus?? You'll know how it is..

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2007, 08:43:26 PM »

Well, if you have to design a full color print for on a truck, for instance, the original layered Photoshop file can get pretty heavy...  :)

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2007, 11:09:27 PM »

I started on Macs and briefly had to go over to PC. I always found the PC's a big problem with handling large files, but the Macs always seem to cope. In my experience anyway. Whatever works, use it!

I had hell with PC and now enjoying the reliability of me mac. ;D
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2007, 12:04:47 AM »

Quote from: 553

And as John and George are my two favourite Beatles, and 'tangerine' is a word common to both of them because of their song lyrics so to me, it is a (rather strange) reference to both George and John who are two very special people to me (not to leave out Paul and Ringo though!)

And I really like tangerines anyway  ;D

John and George are my fave Beatles too! Even though I'm becoming a Paul fan as each day goes by...

Did you know, Tangerine that in South africa we would call you Nachi? (Tangerine in South African English is Nachi) Octie reminded me the other day.

tangerine

• Getting Better
  • here comes the sun
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2007, 09:11:19 PM »

Quote from: 596

Did you know, Tangerine that in South africa we would call you Nachi? (Tangerine in South African English is Nachi) Octie reminded me the other day.

oohhh really?! Nachi... I rather like it!  :)

And by the way K.E, I've been meaning to say for a while how much I love your signature picture- George in motion haha I love that tiny bit in Hard Days Night- I missed his little dance the first time I watched the film (I must have blinked or something) and then the second time I saw it and found it so amusing I rewinded to see it again (I know- obsessed!) But thanks to you I can watch him do his little jig repeatedly to my hearts content! so...ta! :D
<br />But every so often you come across something truly inspiring...<br />
<br />

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2007, 10:52:37 PM »

sorry, there's a spelling mistake in the nachi. Its spelled naartjie. My afrikaans is going down. But it pronounced nachi

DarkSweetLady

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2007, 11:12:16 PM »

I just wanted something related to george since I love him... so I chose dark sweet lady because I love that song beautiful lyrics so... and now most people know my nickname DSL :)

Or as I think Klaideschope_Eyes pointed out in another thread is DSL is LSD backwards... lol

~the guiding light in all your love shines on~

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2007, 02:21:25 AM »

My name is a bunch of puns.  If you scramble the letters in Hari you get Hair, so I can be a "hairy head" (like a moptop). Or you can consider me a Harrison fan (a "Harri head"). And if you really want to stretch it, you can throw a Hari Krishna in there, too. :)
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2007, 03:26:38 AM »

So to sum it all up, harihead in one word would be - George!  :)

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Page created in 1.062 seconds with 87 queries.