Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Happy 50th Birthday Prince  (Read 2897 times)

wingsman

• Getting Better
  • There is always a reason to live
Happy 50th Birthday Prince
« on: June 08, 2008, 01:26:18 AM »

I can't believe nobody opened a threat about this!!!

7 JUNE 2008 - The legendary and fantastic Prince celebs his 50th birthday. It's maybe a little late, but I want to wish you Prince Rogers Nelson the happiest of all birthdays!!
Thanks for so many hours of enjoyement with such an amazing body of work.
I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't eat trash... I work out hard everyday and have a healthy life. And I'm proud of it.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
Re: Happy 50th Birthday Prince
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 09:26:01 AM »

Happy Birthday Prince (birthday)

I don't mind a bit of Prince every now and then , ive a couple of his albums " Sign 'O' The Times "and" Diamonds And Pearls "
Sign 'O' The Times inparticular is a very good album , it's much better than anything Michael Jackson produced in the 80's , some great funky numbers and epic ballads .
 The only thing about Prince i don't like his seeing him , i just find his apperance really odd , ive never been able to marry his music to how he looks and performs , he's a bit creepy in the flesh .
(afraid5)

aspinall_lover

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 06:53:30 PM »

A happy birthday to the "Purple One".
And really, Prince is a VERY good guitar player.  Don't let the appearance fool you.
Happy B-day!!!(birthday)

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 08:59:58 PM »

Quote from: 1255
A happy birthday to the "Purple One".
And really, Prince is a VERY good guitar player.  Don't let the appearance fool you.
Happy B-day!!!(birthday)

It's funny Barb i like stars that have a strong image , i loved Ziggy Stardust and all Bowie's dressing up and theatrics , but Prince visually as always left me cold for some reason ,  i like his music think he's got real talent and agree he's a good guitar player .
Creepy is maybe not the right word , there 's something a bit puppet about him and i find them spooky , also clowns give me the willies .
I think i need to spend sometime with a psychiatrist
(jumping)

thefadedline

• A Beginning
  • I'm an idler's dream
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 09:15:04 PM »

50? Wow.

I didn't think he was older than Jacko!

BlueMeanie

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 11:37:09 PM »

Quote from: 713
I can't believe nobody opened a threat about this!!!

7 JUNE 2008 - The legendary and fantastic Prince celebs his 50th birthday. It's maybe a little late, but I want to wish you Prince Rogers Nelson the happiest of all birthdays!!
Thanks for so many hours of enjoyement with such an amazing body of work.

I really couldn't give a damn.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 05:30:28 AM »

This is Prince:

WASHINGTON (AP)  -- After word spread that Prince covered Radiohead's "Creep" at Coachella, the tens of thousands who couldn't be there ran to YouTube for a peek. Everyone was quickly denied -- even Radiohead.
Radiohead

Radiohead was pleased Prince had covered "Creep." But who has the right to put online?

All videos of Prince's unique rendition of Radiohead's early hit were quickly taken down, leaving only a message that his label, NPG Records, had removed the clips, claiming a copyright violation. But the posted videos were shot by fans and, obviously, the song isn't Prince's.

In a recent interview, Thom Yorke said he heard about Prince's performance from a text message and thought it was "hilarious." Yorke laughed when his bandmate, guitarist Ed O'Brien, said the blocking had prevented him from seeing Prince's version of their song.

"Really? He's blocked it?" asked Yorke, who figured it was their song to block or not. "Surely we should block it. Hang on a moment."

Yorke added: "Well, tell him to unblock it. It's our ... song."

YouTube prohibits the posting of copyrighted material. If the site receives a complaint from a copyright owner, it will in most cases remove the video(s). Whether the same could be done for a company not holding a copyright is less clear, but Yorke's argument would seem to bear some credence according to YouTube's policies. YouTube, which is owned by Google, declined to comment.

Minnesota-grown rock star Prince also did not respond to a request for comment Thursday.

The dispute was an interesting twist in debates over digital ownership, held between two major acts with differing views on music and the Internet. Radiohead famously released their most recent album, "In Rainbows," as a digital download with optional pricing. They also have a channel on YouTube.

When Prince performed at the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival in Indio, California, on April 26, he prohibited the standard arrangement of allowing photographers to shoot near the stage during the first three songs of his set. Instead, he had a camera crew filming his performance.

Prince, who founded NPG Records in 1993, has been innovative when it comes to music distribution, too. He released his 1997 album, "Crystal Ball," on the Internet and in 2006 was awarded a lifetime achievement award by the Webbys. In 2007, he gave away copies of his disc "Planet Earth" in a British Sunday newspaper.

But the Purple One has also shut down his official Web site and in September of last year said he would sue YouTube and eBay for not filtering unauthorized content.

Prince fans have organized to urge him to relent in his legal fights to control images and photographs of himself. As of Thursday, the most popular YouTube clip about Prince playing "Creep" is an expletive-laden rant from Sam Conti Jr., who describes himself as a "former Prince fan."

legthi

• Getting Better
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 10:06:28 AM »

Quote from: 483

I really couldn't give a damn.

My thoughts exactly. Why would someone open a thread about it? this isn't a prince forum

Bobber

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 10:55:07 AM »

Yeah, well... I must say I like Prince. But why would someone open a thread about Syd Barrett or Pink Floyd? I don't give a damn about them. So, yeah, why would someone start a thread on the 'Various Artists' section? Very, very strange.

wingsman

• Getting Better
  • There is always a reason to live
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2008, 02:18:46 PM »

Quote from: 666

My thoughts exactly. Why would someone open a thread about it? this isn't a prince forum

This is a Various Artists forum. What's the problem with the Purple one? (afraid3)
I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't eat trash... I work out hard everyday and have a healthy life. And I'm proud of it.

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2008, 07:24:40 PM »

I would hope that we could discuss an artist like Prince on the various artist forum ?
Think he's just as worthy as anyone else we've had a chat about , he's one of the top 40 best selling artists of all time in the UK with 17 top 10 albums 5 of which went to # 1 , and even more successful in America where  he is ranked the 4th most successful act of the 80's .
I'm not a massive fan of his , but i think he as some talent " Sign 'O' The Times " (1987) to my ears is a very good album , the title track alone was one of the first songs to make referance to A.I.D.S

Oh Yeah
In France A skinny Man Died Of A Big Disease
With A Little Name
By Chance His Girlfriend Came Across A Needle
And Soon She Did The Same

The whole song makes most of todays  " Hip Hop " Stars sound lame in comparison . And granted he went up his own hole with all that silly name change sh*te .
But to my mind he was a Zillion times more creative than either Madonna or Michael Jackson in the 80's (kiss1)(kiss1)(kiss1)

legthi

• Getting Better
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2008, 09:52:46 PM »

You guys missed my point completely (and probably BM's too) - I meant why would it surprise wingsman that there wasn't a thread on Prince's BIRTHDAY, as its not amazingly significant. If you want to discuss his music, thats fair enough, but the original topic was about his birthday, which we couldn't really care less abou. And also , why would it surprise the author considering this is a beatles forum, not really related to Prince. That's what I meant originally...nevermind.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2008, 09:56:25 PM »

Quote from: 666
You guys missed my point completely (and probably BM's too) - I meant why would it surprise wingsman that there wasn't a thread on Prince's BIRTHDAY, as its not amazingly significant. If you want to discuss his music, thats fair enough, but the original topic was about his birthdy, which we couldn't really care less about, and why would it surprise the author considering this is a beatles forum, not really related to Prince.

I get your point. But it's still a 'Various Artists Forum'.

Still couldn't give a damn though! Anyone heard the new Weller album?

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2008, 10:23:10 PM »

Thanks chaps i understand what you mean now . It's the Birthday thing (smile)
I still think he looks like a puppet or is that muppet (jumping)

And don't worry wingsman while i'm here there are two of us with bad taste in music (wink1)

legthi

• Getting Better
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2008, 10:34:42 PM »

I don't mind most of his stuff. Admittably, I should get sign o the times. Only really seen one cd around, but I never really liked his style. I do like the song 'Lets go crazy' though, and its funny to see frank zappa defending 'darling nikki'! ;D

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2008, 12:17:17 AM »

Prince is a genius for sure. But he's also a huge diva! I guess he has more right to be a diva than someone like Brittany Spears though! At least he's talented.

HeatherBoo

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2008, 12:32:25 AM »

I never did care for Prince. But hey Happy Birthday!
<br />

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2008, 02:36:04 AM »

Wow, I didn't know he was 50! I love Prince. I think he's a very talented songwriter and musician.

We've had birthday threads for other artists, (Dylan, Madonna, Lou Reed) so I don't see why this is any less relevant.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2008, 03:17:08 AM »

One of the two or three "eighties" artists I still play. Dirty Mind, 1999, and Sign o' the Times are all great records.   So happy birthday!  :)

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2008, 11:25:48 AM »

What was the film he made after  "Purple Rain " called ? i remember seeing that it was dreadful (barf4)
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.224 seconds with 80 queries.