Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: The Beatles V Mariah Carey  (Read 7987 times)

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
The Beatles V Mariah Carey
« on: April 26, 2008, 12:19:22 PM »

It's likely that one of The Beatles longest standing records will be equalled or betterd this year by Mariah Carey ,she as just equalled  " Elvis " with 18 # 1's on the Billboard singles chart and her new single is already climbing Billboard and is likely to go to # 1.
So whats your view on Mariah overtaking The Beatles is she worthy of such an accolade ?
I must admit i don't know much about  her work and don't own any of her records , i always had a soft spot for Whitney . If someone had said though in 1990 when she first began that she would overtake The Beatles with the most # 1 singles i don't think most people would have thought it likely ?
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
Re: The Beatles V Mariah Carey
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 12:22:01 PM »

The Beatles have had 20 # 1's on the Billboard singles chart .

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Confusion will be my epitaph"
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 12:45:56 PM »

she has a good voice and she is probably the best at what she does but what she does too me is very bland and boring.

Beatles

• A Beginning
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 03:18:01 PM »

Well, she has two to go.  I really dont want it to happen, but it might. I like her stuff a bit but Mariah doesnt equal what the Beatles did.

Sgt. Pepper 45822

• Getting Better
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2008, 03:23:10 PM »

I think she can do it, she has been around for so long, she has re-invented herself and came back from a breakdown to maintain her fame status. I think she is going to do it, and the nice person inside me says "good for her, she deserves it", and the bad person in me says "no one can compare to the beatles, how dare she try!"
[face=Geneva][size=18]Looking through the bent backed tulips <br />to see how the other half lives.[/size][/face]<br /><br />[img]http://www.beatles.com/hub/gfx/articles/yeloSub/The%20Beatles%20in%20Yellow%20Submarine

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2008, 04:37:51 PM »

I think this almost 40 year record will go this year , her previous album spawned i think 3 US # 1's and this new one is likely to do the same . Also i think Americans will get behind their own and make sure it happens , they love a winner ?(thumbsup)
I agree she as a good voice and is a writer and although i don't know how many of her # 1's she's had a hand in writing ? i'm sure  "wingsman" will tell us as i seem to remember he's a fan .(scream3) (wave1)
Mind you she will still not be anywhere  near Paul's 29 # 1's on the Billboard singles chart , so i suppose there is some justice . John George and Ringo will still be two or three in front of her also (thumbsup)

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Confusion will be my epitaph"
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2008, 04:42:27 PM »

its much easier nowadays to have a number one, every week there is a new one there also very very little competition or real qaulity/talent to compete with.

look at number ones of late " frog song" "ketchup song " and a whole load of cheesy dance trash, she may beat the beatles record but she definitely cant say she did it against the qaulity The Beatles went up against The Stones, The Who, The Kinks.............

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2008, 04:58:12 PM »

I'm not sure you can say she as not been up against qauality acts  fendertele  Madonna is pretty big ? and Mariah as given Madonna a run for her money and beat her .

But  i agree that it is easy to get to # 1 these days and with rubbish (barf2)

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2008, 05:48:11 PM »

Quote from: 971
But  i agree that it is easy to get to # 1 these days and with rubbish (barf2)

How does the modern singles market compare with the one of the sixties and seventies? My impression (and I could be way off base here) is that you can get to number one with fewer sales now and determined niche marketing.

DarkSweetLady

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2008, 06:01:24 PM »

What people are saying also, in addition to the record, is that Mariah Carey has 18 number one hits yes, but it took her 18 years, practically, to accomplish it. It only took The Beatles 8 years to do so. Plus, what is also amazing, is The Beatles were only over in America twice as a band. Just two times, and they accomplished that much sucess in a country they hardly were ever in. Also, they have 28, right 28, number one singles across the world, that will never be duplicated. Likely with their "Unbreakable Record". I agree with Geoff when he says the music industry isn't the same anymore, you can hardly even compare. I also agree with fendertele, no one compares to The Beatles in quality today, or probably ever will.  

The Beatles have a lot of reasons to be respected and many more reasons why they are musically the best band to ever exist. A few broken records here and there won't even matter. The Beatles are here to stay. Popularity and all.

~the guiding light in all your love shines on~

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2008, 06:20:31 PM »

Good points DarkSweetLady, and I agree with those who said that you can go to number one with such crap nowadays.

Mariah Carey will probably break the record but she will never be as beloved as the Beatles, you can count on that.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

HeatherBoo

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2008, 07:57:01 PM »

Mariah does have a beautiful voice and her earlier music is really good (But her stuff the last 10 years or so to me has been garbage).  

40 years from now will there there be a Mariah following? Will new generations love her the way they love The Beatles? I highly doubt it.  I could be wrong though.  

To me she just doesn't have that magic that The Beatles have.
<br />

DarkSweetLady

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2008, 08:14:40 PM »

I see where you are coming from HeatherBoo. No one will have the magic like The Beatles have, or the following that they have had for the past 40+ years.

~the guiding light in all your love shines on~

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2008, 08:24:53 PM »

I think this almost 40 year record will go this year , her previous album spawned i think 3 US # 1's and this new one is likely to do the same . Also i think Americans will get behind their own and make sure it happens , they love a winner ?(thumbsup)

(rolleyes) You're kidding I hope. The Americans love the Beatles just as much as anybody. Nobody wants to see the annoying Mariah Carrey break the record. Get behind their own? We're not sheep. (nono) Make sure it happens? Do you think people are really giving it THAT much thought? Not likely.  :-/

HeatherBoo

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2008, 08:39:31 PM »

Yea, I highly doubt most people really give a second thought to Mariah anyways.  I had no idea about this until I read it here.  
<br />

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2008, 09:20:10 PM »

Quote from: 216

(rolleyes) You're kidding I hope. The Americans love the Beatles just as much as anybody. Nobody wants to see the annoying Mariah Carrey break the record. Get behind their own? We're not sheep. (nono) Make sure it happens? Do you think people are really giving it THAT much thought? Not likely.  :-/

Know i'm not kidding Sandra , it will be the record buying public of America that will give Mariah this accolde . And i know your not sheep never said you was . And i'm sure most Americans love The Beatles . But i'm equally sure that Mariah's American fans and their must be millions for her to have had the  level of success she's had for the past 18 years, they will be eager for her to take the record away from The Beatles.
And i hope i did'nt come across as been derogatory to Americans but i believe you do like winners ? nothing wrong with that most people do .Was just speaking my mind

(thumbsup) (tongue)(lookaround)

HeatherBoo

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2008, 09:49:07 PM »

We do like winners but I think alot of us wouldn't want Mariah to be one. Especially to have the title of beating The Beatles.

Even if she does beat them, I think if you asked most people, who do you think is better, most would still go with The Beatles.  
<br />

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2008, 09:50:40 PM »

Know i'm not kidding Sandra , it will be the record buying public of America that will give Mariah this accolde . And i know your not sheep never said you was . And i'm sure most Americans love The Beatles . But i'm equally sure that Mariah's American fans and their must be millions for her to have had the  level of success she's had for the past 18 years, they will be eager for her to take the record away from The Beatles.
And i hope i did'nt come across as been derogatory to Americans but i believe you do like winners ? nothing wrong with that most people do .Was just speaking my mind

(thumbsup) (tongue)(lookaround)

Of course you were speaking your mind. Aren't we all?

If people are buying her stuff, I'd say it's because they like it. Plain and simple. I don't think it has anything to do with her record against the Beatles. I'd bet that most of her fans aren't even aware of this record or most of the Beatles music. And sure people like winners. I'd say nothing illustrates that better than a British football match.  ;)  :P

mr kite

• A Thousand Pages
    • Alberts Continuing Storys
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2008, 09:51:20 PM »

I couldnt believe the thread title so here i am .
And now im off  :-/
Wallflower Has Blossomed

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2008, 10:23:15 PM »

Quote from: 216

Of course you were speaking your mind. Aren't we all?

If people are buying her stuff, I'd say it's because they like it. Plain and simple. I don't think it has anything to do with her record against the Beatles. I'd bet that most of her fans aren't even aware of this record or most of the Beatles music. And sure people like winners. I'd say nothing illustrates that better than a British football match.  ;)  :P

Well it made the news  here Sandra that she had equalled Elvis and now had The Beatles record insight , i read a few reports about it on the internet .
I think her fans will be well aware of it , not to mention all the music journalist's ?
Don't mention us winning at football Sandra it's a long time for us since 1966 . I don't always speak my mind mostly because i'm alawys not in it  

(scream1)(scream1)(jumping)(smoking3)
Pages: [1] 2 3

Page created in 0.188 seconds with 81 queries.