Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Best Frontperson  (Read 2474 times)

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
The Best Frontperson
« on: September 27, 2008, 09:16:12 PM »

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
Re: The Best Frontperson
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 09:31:22 PM »

Robert Smith in first place? Liam Gallagher at number two? Really? Over Mick Jagger, Freddie Mercury, and Jim Morrison?? I'm guessing not many votes from outside the UK have been placed.

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 10:28:21 PM »

Obviously we're going to have to do some poll-rigging of our own here....

8)

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 01:32:25 AM »

lol what
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 07:53:10 PM »

Yes, I also was surprised by the results. But I should say they are changing! When i saw them first they were different, though Robert Smith was in the first place.

aspinall_lover

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2008, 08:48:47 PM »

Where's Robert Plant??????

aspinall_lover

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2008, 08:50:13 PM »

Robert Plant should be alot higher up the polls than that.....and WHY is everyone on the Kurt Cobain crap????

HeyJude18

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Love and Peace are eternal" - John Lennon
    • le blog
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2008, 11:27:34 PM »

really, Robert Plant and Freddy Mercury are the two that come to mind right away

RAIN-ed on: July 17, 2010; STARR-strucked: July 23, 2010; PAUL-inated: August 8, 2010

HeyJude18

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Love and Peace are eternal" - John Lennon
    • le blog
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2008, 11:29:04 PM »

wow, Jack White's on that list too...  His band is nothing more than a glorified metronome and simple guitar tabs  :-/

RAIN-ed on: July 17, 2010; STARR-strucked: July 23, 2010; PAUL-inated: August 8, 2010

aspinall_lover

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2008, 01:32:45 AM »

Quote from: 1447
really, Robert Plant and Freddy Mercury are the two that come to mind right away
^^^^^^^Exactly...........I agree with you on this 100000%!!!  Two of the best voices EVER in rock!!!

aspinall_lover

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2008, 01:36:26 AM »

Roger Daltrey.............alot higher in the poll that is.........and where's Ozzy Osbourne and Alice Cooper???

aspinall_lover

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2008, 01:42:26 AM »

The "southern gal" in me..........Ronnie Van Zandt, Lou Grhamm of Foriegner, and not just "southern".....Grace Slick of Jefferson Airplane...................

aspinall_lover

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2008, 01:44:06 AM »

Now..............if this is only going to be more "British"...........Ian Anderson, Eric Burdon..............

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2008, 02:33:25 AM »

I'm sorry, but we're not talking about greatest voice here, it's best front person! Hands down, Mick Jagger wins that crown. Followed closely by Jim Morrison and Freddie Mercury. It's called stage presence and those guys had it down. Mick still does. He's freaking amazing. He never stops moving the entire time and you just cannot take your eyes off of him. Morrison is still copied to this day with some of his moves and style and Freddie, well, he was just THE entertainer. Watch Live Aid if you have any doubts about how well he had control of that stage and audience. Just my opinions here of course, but come on!!  ;)

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2008, 06:04:14 PM »

I'm not really a Queen fan, but I have to say that Freddie Mercury was hands down the best frontman there ever was. If there's ever been a person who was just born to be on a big stage of front of a hundred thousand people, it was him. I've never seen anyone work a crowd like he did at Live Aid. That was pure magic. He had the crowd in the palm of his hands and enjoyed it almost like it was something sexual. Amazing.

One of the best frontmen I ever saw in person is a guy called Ray Cappo. He used to sing in an amazing Hare Krishna punk band (yeah, you read that right) called Shelter. That guy was so charismatic and intense, it was just unbelievable, because for him his music was literally a religious and spiritual thing. During the first years of the band, he was actually a monk and he was really going off on stage like there was no tomorrow. Too bad that later on he turned into a jerk who drank, did it with groupies and ripped people off while still pretending to be a dedicated Krishna devotee. Me and a friend once went to four Shelter shows in one week and after the last one I went up to him to tell him that I'd seen them four times that week and that they'd been amazing every time, and he just said "Oh, OK" and walked away...  :-/
This is him when he was still cool:
<a href="http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=SRZRgIcAjBY&amp;feature=related" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=SRZRgIcAjBY&amp;feature=related</a>
(sorry for the bad sound)

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2008, 06:14:06 PM »

Sandra, you are the shrewdest of us all! Everybody thought about the best singer and the best voice, while it was all about the best actor who sings. That`s why Robert Smith went up. But i agree with you concerning your choice of the three guys, though a bit doubtful as to Jim Morrison, whose only act was swinging on stage and falling because of being drunk.
And since they give Jack White why don`t they give the frontman of the Darkness, Justin Hawkins? Such a great man with bare chest...

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2008, 06:17:11 PM »

I'm not sure what to think of Jim Morrison. I LOVE the Doors, I love Jim's voice and I think he was a very fascinating person... But on the other hand, his behavior on stage was often simply a result of the fact that he was totally wasted and by most accounts he was a total prick... I don't think he was someone I would've liked to be around...

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2008, 06:18:58 PM »

Quote from: 1393
why don`t they give the frontman of the Darkness, Justin Hawkins? Such a great man with bare chest...

The Darkness had some good songs, but I always thought that he looked like an actor who was playing the part of the singer in a glamrock band... Just a bit too far over the top...

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2008, 06:23:58 PM »

OK, different question: who's the best frontWOMAN?

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2008, 06:26:27 PM »

Quote from: 56
I'm not sure what to think of Jim Morrison. I LOVE the Doors, I love Jim's voice and I think he was a very fascinating person... But on the other hand, his behavior on stage was often simply a result of the fact that he was totally wasted and by most accounts he was a total prick... I don't think he was someone I would've liked to be around...

Rock lovers will always love him irrespectful of what kind of person he was. And BAD guys always attract people, especially the youth. By and by a theory of BAD GUYS IN MUSIC is taking shape in my mind...Little By little, as Oasis sang...

Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.422 seconds with 78 queries.