Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Phillip Norman To Publish A Book On George  (Read 4185 times)

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
Re: Phillip Norman To Publish A Book On George
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2023, 01:14:08 AM »

Yep. In two parts. Maximum Volume and Sound pictures. Also did a really good book on Abbey Road (the album) called Solid State.

I've read the first one, up to 1966. Very well written book imo. Never got round to finding the 2nd one. Yet.
EMI treated George terribly financially, he was making millions for them. Quite shocking.
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2023, 09:08:05 AM »

Yes they took him for granted quite a bit. Second volume rushes a bit through his post Beatle years so wasn’t quite as satisfying. Still a good read though.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2023, 03:38:17 AM »

I finished Norman's book last night, just in time for Kenneth Womack's book on Mal to arrive tomorrow.  :)

I actually enjoyed The Reluctant Beatle, despite the lazy documentation and the fact that every photo save one was from Shutterstock. It was comprehensive but not overly detailed, which I appreciated. Some books include so much minutaie (a bio I recently read of Phil Spector comes to mind) that I feel overwhelmed.

Norman kept his sometimes-snarky attitude mostly in check, and at the end of the book I realized why: In the Acknowledgments he issues a mea culpa for his mean-spirited 2001 obituary for George and indicates he got quite a bit of blowback from it. ("[It] gave great offense to many people, among them several professional colleagues whose opinions I respected.") And apparently—not surprisingly—neither Olivia nor Dhani would speak to him for this book (as well they shouldn't have, in my opinion. And I see he does not mention the millions of fans he also offended.). I personally think this would have better served as a Foreword or a Preface than as part of the Acknowledgments. Putting it at the end of the book struck me as a bit cowardly.

I was disappointed because Norman's described some interesting-sounding photos that did not appear in the book (and were not documented. Frustrating!). Here are two examples.

1. After Stu's death, from Astrid Kirchherr, describing how John and George went up to visit his studio at her house: "John sat in a chair, so full of emotion to be in the same room where his friend [had been] painting that he nearly burst out into tears. . . . George was a bit worried so I said, 'Just stand behind him.' John was just falling to bits there, and when you look at the picture and George's eyes, they're so full of protection for John."

2. From Pattie, after their sojourn to see the Maharishi: "As usual, she took numerous photographs of George, including one in which he's reclining on a mattress at the simple guesthouse where they stayed. 'It's the last image I have of him . . . looking completely happy and at peace."

I'd love to see these photographs. I checked Pattie's book for the latter, but it wasn't included there.

I feel like a heretic for saying this <ducks head>, but I did enjoy the book. I'm still not a fan of Philip Norman, though.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2023, 06:47:18 AM »

Thanks Normandie for taking one for the team. It doesn’t sound too bad. Mostly the criticism
I’ve seen (besides the obvious that he’s again doing a 180 to publish a book) is that there’s nothing new.

That first picture you describe I think was in Scorsese’s Living in the Material World. The quotes from Astrid sound like they come  from that documentary. I’ll see if I can find it and add it to this post.

Found it faster than I thought. I think this is it.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2023, 06:50:24 AM by Moogmodule »

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2023, 07:25:52 AM »

Found it faster than I thought. I think this is it.

Thanks so much for tracking that down, Moogmodule—what a touching photo. I don't think I've ever seen one of John looking so vulnerable.. 
« Last Edit: November 15, 2023, 07:42:48 AM by Normandie »

In My Life

• A Beginning
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2023, 09:30:22 PM »

Thanks so much for tracking that down, Moogmodule—what a touching photo. I don't think I've ever seen one of John looking so vulnerable..

Yes, few photos have ever moved me like this one. That is the first of several she took that day. I have them all on my computer but I don’t have time to get on there right now. I think they are all here, though:

https://www.beatlesource.com/savage/1962/62.04.13-05.31%20star%20club/00%20astrid%20pics/62.04-05astrid.html

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2023, 10:34:38 PM »

^

Right, Kelley.  There are lots of great photos on that site...

The Savage Young Beatles - Photos of THE BEATLES 1950s to 1963

I can stay till it's time to go

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2023, 10:39:44 PM »

One of my favorite photos on that site is this one of George inventing Keith Richards in November 1960...

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2023, 11:43:46 PM »

Mostly the criticism I’ve seen (besides the obvious that he’s again doing a 180 to publish a book) is that there’s nothing new.

Yes, I must say I didn't learn anything that I hadn't read in Graeme Thomson's book. And his 180 on writing a biography of George still sticks in my craw.

I think they are all here, though:

What a great site! I've bookmarked it. One of the things I enjoy about being a rather "late" Beatles fan (didn't get into them until I was 22) is that there is still so much to learn and discover.

In My Life

• A Beginning
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2023, 12:58:41 AM »

One of my favorite photos on that site is this one of George inventing Keith Richards in November 1960...

Aha! I was wondering when that happened.  ;)

In My Life

• A Beginning
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2023, 01:23:05 AM »

What a great site! I've bookmarked it. One of the things I enjoy about being a rather "late" Beatles fan (didn't get into them until I was 22) is that there is still so much to learn and discover.

I’m glad you like it, Kathy! I think I would be very sad if I ran out of new Beatles discoveries.  :)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2023, 10:18:01 PM »

Aha! I was wondering when that happened.  ;)

George was a great inventor...

:)

In My Life

• A Beginning
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2023, 12:36:42 AM »

George was a great inventor...
:)

He was! He not only invented Keith but also Bob, among others.  ;D

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGbRHxM4X2g" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGbRHxM4X2g</a>

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2023, 03:50:43 AM »

^

Ah, yes!  Pirate Bob.  :)

In The Beatles Anthology, George, when introducing The Beatles' Rain video made for airing on the Ed Sullivan Show, said "So I suppose, in a way, we invented MTV."

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbyHnZcmPgA" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbyHnZcmPgA</a>

Pop Quiz:  Who invented rap music and made the first rap music video?

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2023, 11:49:12 AM »

just in time for Kenneth Womack's book on Mal to arrive tomorrow.  :)

I've ordered the Mal book as well.  Should be arriving this week

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2023, 02:56:14 AM »

Pop Quiz:  Who invented rap music and made the first rap music video?

Was it these guys?

https://youtu.be/Wx0oU1OnHf8?si=Iq1Q3SkHlRoekmIF

In My Life

• A Beginning
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2023, 03:37:01 AM »

In The Beatles Anthology, George, when introducing The Beatles' Rain video made for airing on the Ed Sullivan Show, said "So I suppose, in a way, we invented MTV."

Oddly enough, I just stumbled across this:

1959: The Big Bopper coins the term “music video”

According to some music historians, singer and songwriter Jiles Perry Richardson, who went by The Big Bopper, became the first person to use the phrase “music video” in a 1959 interview with a British magazine. (Richardson died that same year in the plane crash that also killed Buddy Holly and Ritchie Valens.) The “Chantilly Lace” singer is also credited with making some of the earliest known rock videos in 1958.

https://www.history.com/news/the-music-video-before-music-television

Was it these guys?

I think you’re on to something, Moog! That’s a great video. I’ll bet it was a Soundie. From the same website I linked above:

1940-1946: Soundies put coins in jukeboxes across the United States

Direct precursors to the music video, soundies were three-minute films featuring music and dance performances, designed to display on jukebox-like projection machines in bars, restaurants and other public spaces. Many of the era’s greatest talents, from jazz singers and swing dancers to chamber musicians and comedians, appeared in them. Another type of visual jukebox, known as the Scopitone, originated in France in the late 1950s and enjoyed some brief success in Europe and the United States.

In My Life

• A Beginning
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2023, 03:47:07 AM »

I've ordered the Mal book as well.  Should be arriving this week

Mine’s coming Friday. I forgot to order it until now. They also have this AI gem:

Can you imagine eagerly opening a gift only to find this;D

https://www.amazon.com/Mal-Evans-Biography-Book-Uncelebrated/dp/B0CMKN8R9C/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?crid=1GK9D84HFPAZY&keywords=mal+evans+book&qid=1700621417&sprefix=mal+%2Caps%2C110&sr=8-2

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2023, 03:49:33 AM »

Was it these guys?

I don't think they were really rapping, Moog.  It sounds more like gospel music to me.

I've always thought that Bob Dylan invented rap music and made the first rap music video...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGxjIBEZvx0" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGxjIBEZvx0</a>

...replete with captions.   ;D

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2023, 04:19:03 AM »

They also have this AI gem:

I saw that, too, Kelley! And it's a whopping 59 pages. How can you do anyone's biography justice with 59 printed pages?

I see it already has one 1-star review.  ha2ha

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Page created in 1.379 seconds with 77 queries.