Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Paul’s Dad  (Read 2530 times)

KelMar

Paul’s Dad
« on: July 08, 2020, 02:50:51 AM »

Ringo’s not the only one having a birthday today. Jim McCartney was also born on July 7th, in 1902. And Paul wasn’t the only songwriter in the family. Everybody probably knows that already but I enjoyed learning both those facts today.

https://youtu.be/RRaI117BXP8
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
Re: Paul’s Dad
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2020, 03:08:02 PM »

Thanks for sharing that, Kelley; I hadn't known. I've always admired Paul's father: Grieving your wife and then raising two little boys on your own could NOT have been easy.

KelMar

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2020, 04:35:13 PM »

Thanks for sharing that, Kelley; I hadn't known. I've always admired Paul's father: Grieving your wife and then raising two little boys on your own could NOT have been easy.

Indeed. I’ve never seen any footage of Mr. McCartney but he always looks calm and steady in his photos. Paul clearly adored him and there isn’t a better measure of a father, in my opinion. I love Paul’s anecdote from Barry Miles’ book All Those Years Ago:

“We sat in there one evening, just beavering away while my dad was watching TV and smoking his Players cigarettes, and we wrote ‘She Loves You’. We actually finished it there because we’d started it in the hotel room. We went into the living room – ‘Dad, listen to this. What do you think?” So we played it to my dad and he said, ‘That’s very nice, son, but there’s enough of these Americanisms around. Couldn’t you sing, “She loves you. Yes! Yes! Yes!”‘ At which point we collapsed in a heap and said, ‘No, Dad, you don’t quite get it!’ That’s my classic story about my dad. For a working-class guy that was rather a middle-class thing to say, really. But he was like that.”

Pothos

• A Beginning
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2020, 09:50:20 PM »

Thank you I enjoyed that.

KelMar

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2020, 02:52:08 PM »

Thank you I enjoyed that.

You’re welcome!

Bobber

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2020, 08:55:19 AM »

Indeed. I’ve never seen any footage of Mr. McCartney but he always looks calm and steady in his photos. Paul clearly adored him and there isn’t a better measure of a father, in my opinion. I love Paul’s anecdote from Barry Miles’ book All Those Years Ago:

“We sat in there one evening, just beavering away while my dad was watching TV and smoking his Players cigarettes, and we wrote ‘She Loves You’. We actually finished it there because we’d started it in the hotel room. We went into the living room – ‘Dad, listen to this. What do you think?” So we played it to my dad and he said, ‘That’s very nice, son, but there’s enough of these Americanisms around. Couldn’t you sing, “She loves you. Yes! Yes! Yes!”‘ At which point we collapsed in a heap and said, ‘No, Dad, you don’t quite get it!’ That’s my classic story about my dad. For a working-class guy that was rather a middle-class thing to say, really. But he was like that.”

There is footage of Jim in the McCartney TV Special from 1973. It is a great watch anyhow. Jim appears at around 22.30 minutes. There's more relatives of Paul in this part apparently. And Gerry Marsden at around 24.08.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u77RGk0G48c" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u77RGk0G48c</a>
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 08:58:13 AM by Bobber »

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2021, 11:26:01 PM »

I just read online that Jim McCartney remarried in 1964. In all of the Beatles books I've read, I don't recall reading that. I assumed he remained an unmarried widower after he lost Mary. Still so much to learn, from small facts such as this to broader topics. So, I'm justified in continuing to buy Beatles books.  ;)

Page created in 2.22 seconds with 47 queries.