Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: The Beatles And Prog-Rock  (Read 895 times)

mclen57

• A Beginning
The Beatles And Prog-Rock
« on: July 19, 2005, 04:22:11 PM »

There's another forum on prog-rock that I belong to where there's a continuing debate on the Beatles and their influence on progressive rock. Artists like Robert Fripp of King Crimson, Chris Squire and Jon Anderson of Yes have always acknowledged the Beatles as a major influence on them. The real question at this forum is are the Beatles a progressive rock band? Or just an influence? Some of these debates over there get pretty heated. What say you?
Henry the Horse

Re: The Beatles And Prog-Rock
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2005, 05:08:50 PM »

I think so, but not in the traditional 'prog-rock' kind of way. When one thinks of Progressive Rock, they tend to think of album-side long heavy jams like Yes did, King Crimson's soundscapes/noise, etc. But I do believe that The Beatles with their experimenting with different sounds, from a 12 string Rickenbacker, Sitar, backwards loops, orchestra, etc, were definitely progressive rock. Their music kept moving forward in a mighty way. I assume they aren't considered progressive rock is that they kept their songs (for the most part) under 4 minutes and didn't engage in jams that went on forever.

Page created in 0.201 seconds with 38 queries.