Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Just got done watching Anthology...  (Read 6685 times)

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
Re: Just got done watching Anthology...
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2007, 02:25:47 PM »

George mentioned the tension this way: "We could argue a lot amongst ourselves, but we were really very close to one another." The Beatles had silly arguments and fights throughout their history. Like, John and George throwing food on each other in Hamburg, or Paul and George having a standoff for 2 hours about who was going to drive the car. I'm sure they bickered in the studio as well, but the overall impression for all of them, including George, seems to be, "We were very close to each other."

I was also impressed by how much smiling they did even in the Get Back sessions. It seems they were really making an effort to get along, for the good of the team, until they realized they didn't have a team any more. I'd put John's withdrawl from the group as the leading factor. He needed to balance Paul, as Paul could be an overwhelming personality. But when he abdicated, the balance was thrown off and the Beatles became dysfunctional. This has got to be a lesson in the subtleties of chemistry or something...
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2007, 02:43:03 PM »

Quote from: 483

Can you imagine being cooped upin a studio for as long as they were without their being some tension? Doesn't suprise me at all. In fact I'd begin to think that they really were superhuman otherwise.

Actually, when you think of it most of rock's great partnerships were built on tension - the Everley Brothers, Jagger and Richards, Waters and Gilmour, Hall and oates, Tears For Fears, Michael and Ridgley (  :) ).
don't follow leaders

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2007, 02:43:42 PM »

I agree, harihead ...
Quote from: 551
[...]
I was also impressed by how much smiling they did even in the Get Back sessions. [...]

As long as there were music in the air they felt close to each other  :) ... even in Twickenham (where it was su-posed to be the coldest sessions of all) they were humorose ... few moments perhaps ... Two Of Us or George introducing I Me Mine to Ringo, for example ... but the four of them spent only a week there ...

Things were much better in Apple  :) ... George smiled a lot  ... and John too ... for example during their performance of Besame Mucho  ... and the mood was different when George lent Ringo a hand with he chords of Octopus's Garden (John went to the drums and Paul entered smiling ... surprized too) ... I know that they are only few moments and they were selected for the film but I've heard that the best footage was not used ... some of the footage for the "new" clip of Get Back shows us that there's more happy footage unseen ... do you recognize everybody on this one:

<a href="http://youtube.com/watch?v=JQOATAW-ZqE" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://youtube.com/watch?v=JQOATAW-ZqE</a>

... and uploaded (7 Mb) here:
http://rapidshare.com/files/25615802/Get_Back.wmv.html

... after all George+Paul "affair" was included!  ::)

I like this:
John's Let It "A", Let It "B" (from the Get Back sessions)
<a href="http://youtube.com/watch?v=f1ELhUa5bQY" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://youtube.com/watch?v=f1ELhUa5bQY</a>

Bobber

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2007, 02:47:25 PM »

Quote from: 185

Actually, when you think of it most of rock's great partnerships were built on tension - the Everley Brothers, Jagger and Richards, Waters and Gilmour, Hall and oates, Tears For Fears, Michael and Ridgley (  :) ).

Oh no, you're not gonna put smilies in your posts, are you?

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2007, 02:55:04 PM »

(clap)(clap)
don't follow leaders

BlueMeanie

« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2007, 03:48:57 PM »

Now that's funny.

real01

• Getting Better
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2007, 12:32:55 PM »

I liked the Anthology.
Here they are talking if "All You Need Is Love" was written specific for the TV broadcast or was it just one of the songs that they had for an album
and they are not quite sure. (And John is not there to resolve the thing:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ef-6zix0YNg" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ef-6zix0YNg</a>

The Swine

• Getting Better
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2007, 12:51:14 PM »

it was written with the tv show in mind. the album (sgt pepper) was just released a couple of weeks before the broadcast and there was no new album coming up.
THE INTERNET IS NOT A PLACE FOR 13 YEAR OLDS

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2007, 01:23:25 PM »

And it's 40 years ago today since they sang it on live broadcast around the world!! ;)

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2007, 01:51:51 PM »

Very cool, Andy Smith! We still all need love, that's for sure. :)

I think the Anthology series is a class act. I wasn't a Beatles fan at the time and it... made me into one.  ;D So it obviously worked! Cheers.
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

Bobber

« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2007, 07:39:54 AM »

Quote from: 614
And it's 40 years ago today since they sang it on live broadcast around the world!! ;)

Plus exactly 60 years ago since Anne Frank's diary was published for the very first time. How's that for a coincidence?

DarkSweetLady

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2007, 02:02:12 PM »

I liked the anthologies...some of the things that George and Ringo said amused me!

Like when they played at Shea Stadium for the second time and Paul was like oh we only had 50,000 that time instead of 70,000 or something and then George goes... I never knew we played there twice! Gets Me Every Time!

~the guiding light in all your love shines on~

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2007, 02:39:07 PM »

I love that quote, too, DSL. It really makes the point that they really had no idea where they were when touring, it all became one big blur.

Quote from: 63
Plus exactly 60 years ago since Anne Frank's diary was published for the very first time. How's that for a coincidence?
AND Lieutenant Colonel George Armstrong Custer was killed at Battle of the Little Bighorn. I never knew his first name was George. *The evidence is out there*

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2007, 09:09:17 PM »

I love the bit in the Anthology when George was on about meeting
Elvis & looking if any of his guys had Reefer on them! ;D :P

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2007, 09:11:52 PM »

Quote from: 63

My goodness, i think you can read me like a book (*no pun intended*) ;D :P as i've been
reading up on Anne Frank's life recently.

Revolution

• Getting Better
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2007, 03:19:29 AM »

Anyone see Paul and Ringo on Larry King tonight? I missed it.  :(

Buttmunker

• Getting Better
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2007, 04:59:06 AM »

I thought the Bonus disc could have been better.  It could have included the "other promotional videos" that weren't shown in the Anthology due to time restraints.  Or more interview footage (complete interview footage, as opposed to fragments of the "best quips").  Or more of anything from their time as Beatles.  Instead, we get all modern, "now" footage.  I don't know, it could have been really better to me.

As far as the Anthology itself, I laugh at Paul sometimes.  In the "modern sequences," some shot of Paul driving a boat while talking to an off-camera reporter, is kinda pompous.  Ringo and George sat like regular human beings and talked.  Paul had to be theatrical and drive a boat and talk.  

And Paul!  Dang, I like him, don't get me wrong, but George must have been p*ssed when he watched the final product on TV, or whenever.  During the footage(s) of All My Loving...whenever George launched into the great guitar solo, it would cut to "modern Paul" talking about something.  This happened not once, not twice, maybe not even three times, but perhaps as many as four times!  At the exact moment George starts his electrifying solo on stage, bam!  cut to Paul.  I woulda been steamed but good.

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Confusion will be my epitaph"
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2007, 10:37:11 AM »

my favourite songwriter has always been paul, but i do cringe sometimes when he talks, george and ringo seem so natural and genuine and paul always comes across as trying to hard.

Whether he trying to be funny or just trying to be interesting, i like him when he occasionally lets his gaurd down and switches off from camera/media mode

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2007, 02:17:11 PM »

Quote from: 828
And Paul!  Dang, I like him, don't get me wrong, but George must have been p*ssed when he watched the final product on TV, or whenever.  During the footage(s) of All My Loving...whenever George launched into the great guitar solo, it would cut to "modern Paul" talking about something.  This happened not once, not twice, maybe not even three times, but perhaps as many as four times!  At the exact moment George starts his electrifying solo on stage, bam!  cut to Paul.  I woulda been steamed but good.
LOL! Thanks for pointing that out. I completely missed it, although I was frustrated that we didn't see more George solos. I love watching his hands in the LIB clip (his left hand, stupid cameraman, not a close-up of picking the strings!)

Paul loves to perform, period. It doesn't matter if he's on a boat, on a stage with some wild set and lights behind him (we had a lot of those, too) or, his fave I think, sitting with a piano or guitar, so he can launch into some tune. He's old Mr. Razzle-dazzle. I warmed to George instantly from the Anthology series-- it launched my Beatles interest, frankly. I think I loved him from the point where he complained about having to take Jimmy Nicol on tour, because it wasn't the Beatles without Ringo. A good, honest opinion, spoken from the heart. Ringo was harder for me to figure out, but when I learned about his recovery from alcohol I felt I understood where he was coming from. He's now one of my favorite old geezers. John came from every-which-place because, of course, they had to rely on this old footage, and John changed his attitudes and pronouncements radically over time. He's the one I first started to investigate in the library, and fortunately there's been tons written about him.

But Paul is the performer. I think he'd carry more weight with people if he let his hair down more, but I've never had to live in a fishbowl the way these guys did, so whatever he needs to do to create a shell of privacy about himself is okay with me. But it is fake and everyone knows it's fake, so it's very hard to get a real read off him.

« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2007, 11:20:26 PM »

coincidentally, I just pulled out my Anthology DVD collection a cpl of days ago--sat through the entire set again (like the 7th time!) --also saw it when it previewed on TV back in '95 (the abbreviated version, that is)and I always loved the way it opened --showing the Liverpool docks, then it goes right into "In My Life" while showing vintage black & white footage of JPGR...always thought that was brilliant. And I'm very grateful they added the "Something" video towards the end--then the final footage of The Fab standing out in a field (circa 1969, Abbey Road)...possibly the last shots of the boys together before the split. Very, very touching to old Beatle fans who've been w/ them from the start...

I have several Fab "rockumentaries" (among them "The Compleat Beatles"--narrated by Malcom McDowell of all ppl), but Anthology is by far the best--not simply because of it's length, but because of it's comprehensive treatment of each Beatle "period", and because of the plethora of personal recollections. To me, Anthology was not only the best overall summary of the world's most beloved band, but I felt it also had a real  elegiac feeling to the piece.. almost poetic..   (only one caveat : The LONGER version ties up any lose ends in the chronology, so if you were left slightly unsatisfied by the televised version, you'll be pleasantly surprised w/ the discs)

KM
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Page created in 0.346 seconds with 83 queries.