Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Paul and GEORGE on Everly-type harmonies  (Read 1131 times)

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
Paul and GEORGE on Everly-type harmonies
« on: July 26, 2007, 09:20:01 PM »

I just realized after years of listening to it that on the BBC album song "Don't You Ever Change" it's GEORGE, not John on the bottom! At least I think that's right, what do you guys think?

If so, one could make an argument that it was Paul's voice in these duet-type songs that made them so distinctive, that John's was "replaceable". I'm not saying I believe that necessarily, just a thought that came to mind, because George+Paul in this song sounds so much like/as good as John+Paul, IMHO.

What do you folks think?
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
Re: Paul and GEORGE on Everly-type harmonies
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 03:07:58 AM »

I think the Beatles sound fabulous together, but I'm rotten at deciphering the harmonies. I don't know, for instance, why George sings one verse on "All My Loving" instead of John. They just sound like Beatles to me. And that sound is virtually unreproducible. :)

That said, all three of the main Beatles vocalists have very unique voices. I keep remembering this quote by Jerry Lee Lewis, when the Beatles came over so big in America in 1964. "Their voices all blended together, I knew they were going to be huge, and I hated them for that!" John's voice is unique in rock'n'roll. Ditto Paul and George. Together, they forged this wonderful, perfect harmony.

Er, I have no idea if I answered your question. But it's lovely to think about! Cheers. *has another glass of wine*
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 08:56:52 AM »

I've never rated George as a vocalist, but I've always noticed that his voice is very prominent in the harmonies. Or maybe he's just easier to pick out. And Pauls vocals are much more noticeable in the backing in George songs.
don't follow leaders

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007, 04:30:38 PM »

Thanks Harihead and Kevin for your thoughts!

I'm just LOVING the BBC album now. It's the Beatles music equivalent of looking at baby pics of one's grown children (I imagine)  :)
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 01:05:31 PM »

Quote from: 568
I'm just LOVING the BBC album now.  :)

It keeps finding its way back onto my CD player. It's just so happy and fun. And the variety of songs, delivered with such punch, makes it easy for me to see why the Beatles got really, really big. They were really fun and really GOOD and then they had this amazing humor to cap it off with. All this because they were hardworking lads who wanted to avoid a day job! They deserved to rise to the top.

All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 04:09:04 PM »

Quote from: 551
I think the Beatles sound fabulous together, but I'm rotten at deciphering the harmonies. I don't know, for instance, why George sings one verse on "All My Loving" instead of John. They just sound like Beatles to me. And that sound is virtually unreproducible. :)

That said, all three of the main Beatles vocalists have very unique voices. I keep remembering this quote by Jerry Lee Lewis, when the Beatles came over so big in America in 1964. "Their voices all blended together, I knew they were going to be huge, and I hated them for that!" John's voice is unique in rock'n'roll. Ditto Paul and George. Together, they forged this wonderful, perfect harmony.

Er, I have no idea if I answered your question. But it's lovely to think about! Cheers. *has another glass of wine*

I'll take a stab at that one ... I bet it was too hard to sing, while doing those amazingly fast triplets on rhythm guitar... ?

" ... Sometimes I play the fool! "
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Page created in 0.208 seconds with 49 queries.