Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: R.I.A.A. News  (Read 6808 times)

Wolf

Re: R.I.A.A. News
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2005, 10:06:18 PM »

Quote from: Rowdy
You know, there could be a chance that "A Hard Day's Night" includes the original UA soundtrack in its certification.........I mean "With the Beatles" has only gone gold since it was released here in the late eighties......yes, Capitol had "A Hard Day's Night" since the late seventies when they acquired the rights as you said, but I still find it unlikely that it has sold four million copies since then. With "Meet the Beatles" selling five million, most of which came in 1964, I could see the UA soundtrack having sold two million or so in 1964 (partly because of the competition with "Something New").....and then A Hard Day's Night could've sold a further million from then on until the eighties, and then another million when it was finally released here in 1988.

Not too likely. Capitol would have needed the internal distribution and sales documents of UA to get pre-1978 sales certified. There is too much involved in that. Things like that don`t happen.

But of course you do have a point with 'With The Beatles' only being certified with sales of 500,000. It took ca. 10 years to sell that much. But then again, 'Please Please Me' sold twice as much in the same time. One would have expected these two albums to sell about the same, or in the case of one outselling the other, 'With The Beatles' would have appeared to be the safer bet of leading in sales, since it is a more iconic album (classic sleeve, LP that sparked UK Beatlemania, first ever Beatles LP to sell over 1 million in UK).

If PPM sold 1 million in ten years, then it is not impossible for AHDN to have sold 4 million in 23 years. It is a more recognizable album than PPM, as it had always been part of the US catalog and is linked to the first Beatles movie. Add to that that it is generally referred to as the best of the early Beatles albums, it wouldn`t be a big surprise if it kept on selling quite well. Don`t forget that it probably did enjoy extra sales generated by John`s murder in 1980 and also by the media buzz surrounding the Beatles'  20 year anniversary of arriving in the US in 1984.

AHDN did sell an awful lot of copies during 1964. Check out this item from Billboard:

"United Artist`s decision to issue A Hard Day`s Night ahead of the film`s release proved to be a wise one. On July 1, 1964, the company announced that the LP had sold and delivered 1 million copies in just four days. Billboard, in a story titled "Beatles` LP: 4 Days That Shake The Industry", reported the news in its July 11 issue, stating that the album had become one of the fastest selling LPs in the history of the record business."

It sold 1 million copies in four days, now imagine what it sold in the 14 weeks it stayed at the top of Billboard`s albums charts? Must have been more than 2 million. I think it was the second biggest selling LP of 1964 right behind "Meet The Beatles!". Assuming it sold roughly over 3 million in '64, by the end of the 60s, it should have been approaching the 4 million mark, or if that is too optimistic, let`s say by 1978. And that is a conservative approach to AHDN`s American sales.

I don`t think these pre-1978 sales are a factor in the RIAA awards.

Mushmouth

• Getting Better
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2005, 02:43:56 AM »

Elvis most likely is the most acknowledgeable figure of all time. He had a very distinct voice and a very distinct style, thats extermely easy to see even if you havent heard one of his songs.

Think about it, if you showed the whole world a picture of Ringo, how many would recognize him?
I'd like to say thank you on behalf of the group and ourselves, and I hope we pass the audition.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2005, 03:25:16 AM »

I still think Marilyn Monroe is more recognizable than Elvis...
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

SieLiebtDich

• A Thousand Pages
  • ("\(#^_^)/")
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2005, 04:19:23 AM »

I there equal...

Rowdy

• Getting Better
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2005, 06:44:17 AM »

Don't know why I never got around to adding this:

George

Albums:

All Things Must Pass - 6x Platinum (This has sold a total of 6,000,000 units....it was originally a 3 LP set, and is now a 2 CD one, so it's hard to figure out how many album sets have been sold)
Concert for Bangladesh - Gold (250,000 two disc sets)
Living In The Material World - Gold
Dark Horse - Gold
Extra Texture - Gold
The Best of George Harrison - Gold
Thirty Three and 1/3 - Gold
George Harrison - Gold
Somewhere in England - Gold
Cloud Nine - Platinum
Brainwashed - Gold

Singles:

My Sweet Lord - Gold

Total: 12 Million Albums and Singles

Ringo

Albums:

Ringo - Platinum
Goodnight Vienna - Gold

Singles:

It Don't Come Easy - Gold
Photograph - Gold
You're Sixteen - Gold

Total: 3 Million Albums and Singles

John

Albums:

Plastic Ono Band - Gold
Imagine - 2x Platinum
Mind Games - Gold
Walls and Bridges - Gold
Rock 'n Roll - Gold
Shaved Fish - Platinum
Double Fantasy - 3x Platinum
John Lennon Collection - 3x Platinum
Milk and Honey - Gold
Live in New York City - Gold
Imagine: Soundtrack - Gold
Lennon Legend - Gold
Lennon Anthology - Gold (A four disc set.....so over 125,000 sets have been sold, for a total of 500,000 units)

Singles:

Instant Karma - Gold
Just Like (Starting Over) - Gold
Woman - Gold

Total: 15 Million Albums and Singles

Videos:

Live in New York City - Gold (50,000)
Lennon Legend - Platinum (100,000)

Paul

Albums:

McCartney - 2x Platinum
Ram - Platinum
Wildlife - Gold
Red Rose Speedway - Gold
Band on the Run - 3x Platinum
Venus and Mars - Platinum
Wings At The Speed Of Sound - Platinum
Wings Over America - Platinum
London Town - Platinum
Wings Greatest - Platinum
Back To The Egg - Platinum
McCartney II - Gold
Tug Of War - Platinum
Pipes of Peace - Platinum
Give My Regards To Broad Street - Gold
All The Best - 2x Platinum
Flowers in the Dirt - Gold
Tripping the Live Fantastic: Highlights - Platinum
Off The Ground - Gold
Flaming Pie - Gold
Wingspan: Hits and History - 2x Platinum (1 million 2 disc sets)
Driving Rain - Gold
Back in the U.S. - 2x Platinum (1 million 2 disc sets)

Singles:

Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey - Gold
My Love - Gold
Live and Let Die - Gold
Band on the Run - Gold
Listen To What the Man Said - Gold
Silly Love Songs - Gold
Let 'Em In - Gold
Goodnight Tonight - Gold
Coming Up (Live) - Gold
Ebony and Ivory - Gold
The Girl Is Mine - Gold
Say Say Say - Platinum

Total: 31.5 Million Albums and Singles

Videos:

Paul is Live - Gold (50,000)
Wingspan - Gold (50,000)
Back in the U.S. - 3x Platinum (300,000)

"Only people know just how to talk to people. Only people know just how to change the world."

Mushmouth

• Getting Better
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2005, 07:11:42 AM »

Nice, George did amazingly awesome as a solo career, I would have never seen it coming. I guess techincally All Things Must Pass is the greatest selling ex-Beatle album of all time.
I'd like to say thank you on behalf of the group and ourselves, and I hope we pass the audition.

Rowdy

• Getting Better
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2005, 06:30:22 AM »

Oh, forgot.........

Traveling Wilburys, Vol. 1 - 3 Million*

Traveling Wilburys, Vol. 3 - 1 Million

One of the biggest solo albums.........could possibly be THE highest seller in the States......but then again, it isn't solely a George recording.

"Only people know just how to talk to people. Only people know just how to change the world."
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 51 queries.