Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: George Harrison - All Things Pass  (Read 4730 times)

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
George Harrison - All Things Pass
« on: May 14, 2018, 08:12:51 AM »

This new documentary popped up on my iTunes and so I thought I’d give it a go. It included George Martin as a contributor so I thought it might be more than some cheap clip job.

The opening music wasn’t Beatles music, just some music recorded to sound a little beatleish, showing that this was just a cheap clip job. Somehow the producers got rights to a couple of brief clips of George Martin and beefed it up with interviews of one of George’s old school friends. This, with various clips from Beatle years and the Bangladesh concert, filled out the hour. 

Most bizarre was a recurring talking head, Sid Griffin, throughout the show popping up every few minutes to explain how awesome George was. I really had no idea who this person was. He didn’t seem to have known George or played with George, or known people who knew George. Or had walked past people who knew someone who played with George.

The voiceover also sounds strangely processed,  like it’s computer generated.

In short, even for ardent George fans, don’t bother.

Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Pothos

• A Beginning
Re: George Harrison - All Things Pass
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 09:52:22 AM »

Sid Griffin is an American musician who played with The Long Riders and currently plays with The Coal Porters. He has written works on Bob Dylan, Gram Parsons and Bluegrass Music. I have heard him interviewed about music and reviews music biographies.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 10:10:23 AM »

Sid Griffin is an American musician who played with The Long Riders and currently plays with The Coal Porters. He has written works on Bob Dylan, Gram Parsons and Bluegrass Music. I have heard him interviewed about music and reviews music biographies.

Ta. My knowledge of him has now increased 1000%

KelMar

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 12:17:20 AM »

Thanks for the warning, Moog.  ;D

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 09:45:41 PM »

Thanks for the warning, Moog.  ;D

George has had a couple of these strange,  thrown together documentaries. A few years ago at a friends place I watched another. Again with crappy incidental music, no Beatle or George tunes, and the whole thing seems to have been based on getting one of his brothers as a talking head.

There’s no in between it seems for George docos. Cheap and crap or Martin Scorsese. Must be that yin yang thing again.

KelMar

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 03:26:51 AM »

George has had a couple of these strange,  thrown together documentaries. A few years ago at a friends place I watched another. Again with crappy incidental music, no Beatle or George tunes, and the whole thing seems to have been based on getting one of his brothers as a talking head.

There’s no in between it seems for George docos. Cheap and crap or Martin Scorsese. Must be that yin yang thing again.

Have you come across this?

This discussion made me think of it but my memory of it was, thankfully, a bit fuzzy. Apparently it's now classified as a mockumentary but I seem to remember having a clear sense that the makers wanted it to be taken seriously. We had a discussion of it back in my early days here and from that, and reviews on Amazon, I think that I wasn't the only one. As I said then, I didn't get too far into. It made me mad then and I don't feel any better about it now, even if it was done in jest. It's no "All You Need is Cash", that's for sure!

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 10:57:53 AM »

Have you come across this?

This discussion made me think of it but my memory of it was, thankfully, a bit fuzzy. Apparently it's now classified as a mockumentary but I seem to remember having a clear sense that the makers wanted it to be taken seriously. We had a discussion of it back in my early days here and from that, and reviews on Amazon, I think that I wasn't the only one. As I said then, I didn't get too far into. It made me mad then and I don't feel any better about it now, even if it was done in jest. It's no "All You Need is Cash", that's for sure!

I’ve heard references to this but never bothered following it up as it was clearly off the wall. It’s also a bit of a creepy idea to me.

The discussion on that thread was funny. Especially noting the voice doesn’t even sound like George. And some idea that Rita in Lovely Rita referred to Heather Mills  ???

KelMar

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 02:47:47 AM »

The discussion on that thread was funny. Especially noting the voice doesn’t even sound like George. And some idea that Rita in Lovely Rita referred to Heather Mills  ???

They did a very poor job explaining that Paul had a premonition that a baby would be born the next year who would grow up and make his life miserable so of course he wrote a song about her.  roll:)

Yeah; I’ll stick to this:

https://youtu.be/7TeqyovfJzE

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2018, 04:30:10 AM »

They did a very poor job explaining that Paul had a premonition that a baby would be born the next year who would grow up and make his life miserable so of course he wrote a song about her.  roll:)

I listened to a few minutes on YouTube. It’s so laughingly not George that’s it’s ridiculous the makers could have even thought for a second it would be taken seriously. Even with a better imitator the script is just like a documentary maker telling a story and building suspense. Not a recently attacked person getting a terrible secret off his chest.  And as for them saying the accident occurred in November 66 but that the “next album” Rubber Soul,  had clues ... heavens couldn’t they even come up with a slightly plausible fake story?

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2018, 04:50:18 AM »

I listened to a few minutes on YouTube. It’s so laughingly not George that’s it’s ridiculous the makers could have even thought for a second it would be taken seriously.

That's because it was a plastic and wax replica...

https://youtu.be/Zwjurvrb1ss
I can stay till it's time to go

KelMar

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2018, 04:53:24 AM »

I listened to a few minutes on YouTube. It’s so laughingly not George that’s it’s ridiculous the makers could have even thought for a second it would be taken seriously. Even with a better imitator the script is just like a documentary maker telling a story and building suspense. Not a recently attacked person getting a terrible secret off his chest.  And as for them saying the accident occurred in November 66 but that the “next album” Rubber Soul,  had clues ... heavens couldn’t they even come up with a slightly plausible fake story?

You did better than I did, Moog. And I agree; it is just creepy.

Page created in 0.641 seconds with 55 queries.