Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]

Author Topic: Best Solo Career  (Read 24429 times)

Beatlemania31

• A Beginning
Re: Best Solo Career
« Reply #180 on: July 23, 2008, 04:45:32 PM »

Quote from: 403
From what I've seen, Paul fans aren't usually anti-John. It's John fans that are usually anti-Paul. Go on Youtube and watch a McCartney video whether its when he was in The Beatles or Wings and you will see so many comments bashing him and praising John for putting out songs with a purpose. I don't think I've ever seen that on a Lennon video.(And I'm not being bias here) I mean look at that idiot Jim Coyler's post on the first page(I believe it's on the first page). That's a perfect example. Now I'm not saying all Lennon fans are like that, just the Lennon fans that only like Lennon because it's "Cool" to like Lennon. Those losers probably haven't even listened to his solo career only praise him because of his political stance.

Nope. I listen to ALL four solo careers. That includes Ringo, and George, as well as Paul, which I have a lot of his stuff. I just enjoy John's the most, plus I love John as a Beatle. I have all of his solo albums..Paul I have a few of, but of what I have I enjoy listening to them, they're not really bad. I hope to get more of them one day. I have that McCartney Years DVD and I really love it. And yes, John's political stance did make an influence on me, but it wasn't just about that.
I don't think you were saying that directly to me, but I wanted to give you the other side of the story.  ;)

dcowboys107

• A Beginning
  • Surf's Up
« Reply #181 on: July 23, 2008, 05:00:07 PM »

I think they all have a resonably good solo career but I just prefer Mccartney's work.  He tends to be more upbeat and stuff. Plus I love McCartney especially "Hot as Sun/Glasses" , "Every Night", "That Would Be Something".  John is more political but I just enjoy Paul's work more.

Mr. Mustard

• A Beginning
« Reply #182 on: July 23, 2008, 10:18:32 PM »

I don't think this point was actually discussed, but I actually prefer John's singing voice to all of the other Beatles.  

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #183 on: July 23, 2008, 10:49:52 PM »

I am with you on that, Mr. Mustard. John`s voice is my favourite vocal of all in the world.

Beatlemania31

• A Beginning
« Reply #184 on: July 24, 2008, 12:18:27 AM »

Quote from: 1393
I am with you on that, Mr. Mustard. John`s voice is my favourite vocal of all in the world.

Yeah I like how he has a very distinguishable (sp?) voice. A hint of nasal, which makes it unique.

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #185 on: July 24, 2008, 08:33:26 AM »

John had a great recording voice one of the best .
Paul's was much better live though in my opinion (smile)

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #186 on: July 24, 2008, 11:39:56 AM »

Quote from: 662
I love McCartney especially "Hot as Sun/Glasses" , "Every Night", "That Would Be Something".

So do I, and the only thing that prevents it from being a great album is too much filler: "Kreen-Akrore," for example, is too obviously four or so minutes  of killing time. "Maybe I'm Amazed,""Every Night,""Junk" and "That Would Be Something" are the best ones for me.  :)

Revolver42

• Getting Better
« Reply #187 on: July 24, 2008, 11:45:54 AM »

Quote from: 1161

So do I, and the only thing that prevents it from being a great album is too much filler: "Kreen-Akrore," for example, is too obviously four or so minutes  of killing time. "Maybe I'm Amazed,""Every Night,""Junk" and "That Would Be Something" are the best ones for me.  :)

I just got this album yesterday (trying to finish off obtaining the entire McCarteny solo catalougue) and I just love this album.  I like how it is so fun, down-to-earth, low-key and homemade!
...And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #188 on: July 24, 2008, 11:51:38 AM »

I enjoy the lo-finess of it, but it must have been a very disappointing album for many, at the time. I wasn't quite 13 years old, so I really don't recall from the time. I think the critics were quite kind to him.

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #189 on: July 24, 2008, 12:13:21 PM »

Quote from: 483

I enjoy the lo-finess of it, but it must have been a very disappointing album for many, at the time. I wasn't quite 13 years old, so I really don't recall from the time. I think the critics were quite kind to him.

I like the informality of it; it sounds like a collection of home demos with other interesting bits of tape from his home studio thrown in (not that it actually was: I think it was recorded at EMI and Morgan Studios). Pete Townsend's Scoop is another example of this sort of thing and an old favorite of mine.  :)

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #190 on: July 24, 2008, 12:54:24 PM »

Both McCartney and Ram would benefit from a good remastering job .

Spier

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #191 on: July 26, 2008, 04:33:17 PM »

Paul's solo career stands out, in my opinion. He has been at it for almost 40 years now. John's solo career was cut short by a lunatic. George's started out promising but did not come to full fruit and Ringo has been enjoying himself.

Paul I think is a musical genius. This shows in his ever increasing line of hit singles and albums. It is amazing that he can still go in new directions after so many years, although he is prone to record silly songs as well.

jjs

• A Beginning
« Reply #192 on: July 28, 2008, 12:32:41 AM »

Quote from: 1371
Paul's solo career stands out, in my opinion. He has been at it for almost 40 years now. John's solo career was cut short by a lunatic. George's started out promising but did not come to full fruit and Ringo has been enjoying himself.

Paul I think is a musical genius. This shows in his ever increasing line of hit singles and albums. It is amazing that he can still go in new directions after so many years, although he is prone to record silly songs as well.

It's interesting that George, John and Ringo all came off the Beatles with a lot of momentum, doing their best work in the first few years, then petering out by late 73. Paul on the other hand didn't seem to find his stride until '73, and then that momentum lasted for 10 years.

jjs

• A Beginning
« Reply #193 on: July 28, 2008, 12:34:09 AM »

Quote from: 971
Both McCartney and Ram would benefit from a good remastering job .

What do you mean? They were remastered, and the sound quality is fine.

jjs

• A Beginning
« Reply #194 on: July 28, 2008, 01:11:03 AM »

I like the informality of it; it sounds like a collection of home demos with other interesting bits of tape from his home studio thrown in (not that it actually was: I think it was recorded at EMI and Morgan Studios). Pete Townsend's Scoop is another example of this sort of thing and an old favorite of mine.  :)

I remember reading how much work Paul put into recording the song "Penny Lane". The instruments and vocals were recorded and re-recorded until he got the precise sound he was looking for. He was a perfectionist in the studio, with his (as well as John's) songs.  Then I listen to 'McCartney' and I hear a collection of unfinished 'White Album' and 'Let It Be' rejects, songs that are both lyrically and musically incomplete, amateurishly recorded, and wonder what the hell he was trying to do.

'McCartney' has it's charm... and we're used to it. But IMO, it should never have been released. Paul should have done a proper recording, with proper session musicians, and made 'McCartney' a proper album. "Maybe I'm Amazed" might have made it onto a single (even though I think the lyrics are just terrible)

What's done is done I guess

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #195 on: July 28, 2008, 01:12:27 AM »

Quote from: 1428

What do you mean? They were remastered, and the sound quality is fine.

Yes i know they have been remasterd in 1993 jjs , but have'nt things have moved on since then ?
I recently got Dennis Wilson's  "Pacific Ocean Blue" on CD and the sound quality on this newly remasterd CD is far superior to Paul's CD's .

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #196 on: July 28, 2008, 01:51:51 AM »

Quote from: 1428
I remember reading how much work Paul put into recording the song "Penny Lane". The instruments and vocals were recorded and re-recorded until he got the precise sound he was looking for. He was a perfectionist in the studio, with his (as well as John's) songs.  Then I listen to 'McCartney' and I hear a collection of unfinished 'White Album' and 'Let It Be' rejects, songs that are both lyrically and musically incomplete, amateurishly recorded, and wonder what the hell he was trying to do.

This is Paul from a 1974 Rolling Stone interview with Paul Gambaccini:

Seeing that Let it Be was released basically after the fact, do you wish it had not been released?

Oh, no. I don't wish that about anything. Everything seems to take its place in history after it's happened and it's fine to let it stay there.

It was the first album to have the little bits on, like the type that also a appeared on McCartney.

I rather fancied having just the plain tapes and nothing done to them at all. We had thought of doing something looser before, but the albums always turned out to be well produced. That was the idea of the whole album. All the normal things that you record that are great and have all this atmosphere but aren't brilliant recordings or production jobs normally are left out and wind up on, say, Pete Townshend's cutting floor. It ends up with the rest of his demos.

But all that stuff is often stuff I love. It's got the door opening, the banging of the tape recorder, a couple of people giggling in the background. When you've got friends around, those are the kinds of tracks you play them. You don't play them the big finished produced version.

Like "Hey Jude," I think I've got that tape somewhere, where I'm going on and on with all these funny words. I remember I played it to John and Yoko and I was saying, "These words won't be on the finished version." Some of the words were, "The movement you need is on your shoulder," and John was saying, "It's great! 'The movement you need is on your shoulder.'" I'm saying, "It's crazy, it doesn't make any sense at all." He's saying, "Sure, it does, it's great." I'm always saying that, by the way, that's me, I'm always never sure if it's good enough. That's me, you know.

So when McCartney came along I had all these rough things and I liked them all and thought, well, they're rough but they've got that certain kind of thing about them, so we'll leave it and just put it out. It's not an album which was really sweated over, and yet now I find it's a lot of people's favorite. They think it's great to hear the kids screaming and the door opening, it's lovely.

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/profile/story/9359339/the_rolling_stone_interview_paul_mccartney

jjs

• A Beginning
« Reply #197 on: July 29, 2008, 11:52:42 PM »

Quote from: 971

Yes i know they have been remasterd in 1993 jjs , but have'nt things have moved on since then ?
I recently got Dennis Wilson's  "Pacific Ocean Blue" on CD and the sound quality on this newly remasterd CD is far superior to Paul's CD's .

Either I don't understand this, or you don't understand what's involved in "mastering".   "Mastering" involves equalization, level matching (so that some songs don't sound louder than others), compression (to reduce the difference between loud and soft sounds), limiting (to avoid clipping i.e. saturation) and noise reduction (to reduce hum and hiss).

All audio that was originally intended for vinyl (or tape) must be remastered for CD, because the equalization and compression (among other things) is optimized and best suited for that particular media. For example, Vinyl can't handle a huge dynamic range, so music mastered for vinyl tends to be more heavily compressed than it would need to be for CD, which has a much larger dynamic range.

There are situations where the initial remastering for CD was quite poor. My first copy of "All Things Must Pass" was poorly remastered for CD. There was tons of hiss from the source tapes, and quite a lot of missing high frequencies. The songs sounded hissy and dull. Remastering of these poorly remastered albums was a necessity.

But Paul's remastered recordings were properly remastered, and short of simply "modifying" the sound with equalization or unintended harmonic enhancement, there's not much you can do to "improve" the sound. No, there isn't that much difference between now and 1993, as far as digital audio goes. Digital is digital.

"Remastering" in the context that most people are used to, is nothing more than the recording industry's way of separating idiots from their money. Especially when recordings are "remastered" that were originally recorded digitally and released on CD (DDD). This is a plain waste of money. Save yourself the hundreds of dollars you'd otherwise spend, and learn to use your graphic equalizer. The results will be pretty much the same.

Now... REMIXING is another thing entirely. I'd like to see all of Paul's (and the Beatles) recordings remixed and re-released. As far as the Beatles goes, If you have the Yellow Submarine re-release, those songs were reconstructed from the multitrack recordings and remixed for true stereo, while remaining as true as possible to the originals. I'd love it if all their albums were re-released this way (with the original versions too, for the purists).

I'd like to see Paul's 70's stuff remixed, bringing the drums and bass and guitars a little more forward in the mix, as well as being re-EQed and processed.  Perhaps 5.1  or surround mixes?

Okay

• A Beginning
« Reply #198 on: July 29, 2008, 11:58:42 PM »

To answer the question I'd have to go with John

jjs

• A Beginning
« Reply #199 on: July 30, 2008, 12:31:11 AM »

This is Paul from a 1974 Rolling Stone interview with Paul Gambaccini:

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/profile/story/9359339/the_rolling_stone_interview_paul_mccartney

This is a nice interview, thanx.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]

Page created in 0.609 seconds with 80 queries.