Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 42

Author Topic: The Beach Boys  (Read 155289 times)

dcowboys107

• A Beginning
  • Surf's Up
Re: The Beach Boys
« Reply #280 on: February 22, 2011, 01:32:25 AM »

Ok, I finally figured out the vocals for "Help Me, Rhonda" after giving myself sometime to let it all clear up.

Carl wasn't doubling with Brian but keeps his modal voice on the high tenor.  I've always loved Carl but finally I can hear him in the mix but he mixes in a lot with Brian so he gets drowned out.

Man, it's beautiful hearing Carl sing his heart out in that song, such a sweet voice.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #281 on: February 27, 2011, 06:04:45 AM »

In 1966, we had...

I Can Hear Music- Ronettes

But then in 1969...

I Can Hear Music- The Beach Boys

The Beach Boys - I Can Hear Music - Never Learn Not To Love

Carl's voice was so beautiful
I can stay till it's time to go

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #282 on: February 27, 2011, 08:15:14 AM »

'I Can Hear Music' was the first Beach Boys song recorded in Brian's absence. The production's entirely Carl's work.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #283 on: March 01, 2011, 04:00:21 AM »

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #284 on: March 02, 2011, 01:22:34 PM »

I like "You Still Believe In Me" from Pet Sounds, nice song.
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
« Reply #285 on: March 15, 2011, 04:59:14 PM »

happy 50 Anniversary this Year Yer

PaulieBear

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tomorrow Never Knows
    • Twitter: Sammi_CoJo
« Reply #286 on: March 15, 2011, 07:21:27 PM »

I've always had a few Beach Boys songs on my iPod, but I recently purchased their Pet Sounds album. I've listened to it, and it's great and all, but I just don't understand why it was so great. I'm taking a Music of The Beatles course right now, and my teacher explained a few things about the sound of the album which were interesting. I've always loved "God Only Knows", but can someone tell me what is extraordinary about it?

I realize I sound like a kid, which I am to most of you(no offense). I just want to know more about its influence other than its impact on Sgt. Pepper's.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #287 on: March 15, 2011, 07:46:50 PM »

PaulieBear, I'm sure several other members will respond to your question and each will have their own chronologic frame of reference.  But for me, someone who first heard Pet Sounds as a 16 year old when it was first released, this album was innovative on the part of Brian Wilson and rivaled Rubber Soul when it was released.  We were listening to music that was changing during the mid-60s and The Beatles, Brian Wilson, and several other groups were paving the way.  1966 remains my favorite year as far as music is concerned.

I'm sure Joost will spot your post and will elaborate further and far more eloquently than I can.  I'll defer to him.

And no, you don't sound like a kid by asking about Pet Sounds.  A kid would never have noticed.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #288 on: March 16, 2011, 01:26:15 AM »

I don't think it's possible to explain to someone why an album is great. You either hear it or you don't.

I've got to admit that it took me a while to see what's so great about 'Pet Sounds'. I definately didn't hear it the first few times I played it. The album's certainly a "grower". But once it has grown on you, Pet Sounds will stay with you forever. You'll never get bored of it. I've heard it hundreds of times the last few years, but I could listen to it five times in a row right now without getting tired of it. It's just so sophisticated, deep, rich and magical. If there's a heaven, this should be it's soundtrack.

If you want to explore the Beach Boys' music beyond the familiar hits, I recommend you to not start with 'Pet Sounds' but with their 1970 album 'Sunflower'. I think that's a better and more accessible bridge between their hit material and their "deeper" stuff.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #289 on: March 16, 2011, 01:30:24 AM »

Some pretty exciting Beach Boys news:

Recently it has been officially announced that the legendary unreleased 1967 album 'SMiLE', which was supposed to be the Beach Boys' answer to 'Revolver', will be released later this year. Probably around August/September.

There will be two versions: a double CD, and a box set with four CDs, two LPs, two vinyl singles and a book.

PaulieBear

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tomorrow Never Knows
« Reply #290 on: March 16, 2011, 01:34:37 AM »

Thanks for your insight! Great responses!

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #291 on: March 16, 2011, 01:39:34 AM »

Which version will you get, Joost?

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #292 on: March 16, 2011, 05:10:53 PM »

The box set, obviously. I just hope it won't be too expensive.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #293 on: March 17, 2011, 04:38:03 AM »

Well, until the box set comes out, we can enjoy what we have.

I like watching Carl in this video...

The Beach Boys - Good Vibrations

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #294 on: March 17, 2011, 04:51:57 AM »

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #295 on: March 17, 2011, 05:38:06 AM »

PaulieBear

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tomorrow Never Knows
« Reply #296 on: March 18, 2011, 01:39:13 AM »

My mom told me the other day that one of The Beach Boys drowned? Is that true? If so, isn't that a bit ironic?  :-\

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #297 on: March 18, 2011, 11:28:21 AM »

Yeah, Dennis Wilson. One day in December 1983 he was drunk (as usual) and he decided to dive into the water of the marina where his old houseboat used to be. He remembered that he'd thrown quite some valuable stuff overboard in better times and wanted to go look for these things. First time he went under he returned with a silver photo frame. Second time he drowned.

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #298 on: March 19, 2011, 10:47:16 AM »

One of my friends on facebook who is OBSESSED with Paul McCartney (a bit too much in my opinion) posted the duet performance of God Only Knows with Paul & Brian Wilson. She made a comment about telling Brian Wilson to shut up so she could listen to Paul.

I thought to myself, "Really? You're going to tell Brian Wilson to shut up during his freaking song? That's like telling McCartney to shut up during Hey Jude or something. Have some respect.  roll:)"

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #299 on: March 19, 2011, 03:47:50 PM »

One of my friends on facebook who is OBSESSED with Paul McCartney (a bit too much in my opinion) posted the duet performance of God Only Knows with Paul & Brian Wilson. She made a comment about telling Brian Wilson to shut up so she could listen to Paul.

I thought to myself, "Really? You're going to tell Brian Wilson to shut up during his freaking song? That's like telling McCartney to shut up during Hey Jude or something. Have some respect.  roll:)"

I agree of course, but I can understand if people don't care for Brian's current voice. Objectively speaking he's just not a very good singer anymore. I think that you have to know a bit about Brian's story and see things within a certain context to fully appreciate what he's doing nowadays.

I think you can compare him to a world class sportsman who gets so seriously injured that the doctors say that he'll never walk again, but who manages to make a comeback several years later as a decent player in a second division team. That's probably the context that you've got to see him in.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 42

Page created in 0.457 seconds with 84 queries.