Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 42

Author Topic: The Beach Boys  (Read 155285 times)

Joost

• That Means a Lot
Re: The Beach Boys
« Reply #300 on: May 09, 2011, 09:38:29 PM »

Responses to comments in the "Groups you're glad with just a greatest hits collection" topic...

I could readily make do with just a Beach Boys Greatest Hits but I really must listen again to Pet Sounds which I do own... although I always feel it is a very overpraised album (yes, I know it was hugely influential - not least upon Paul McCartney). Apart from "God Only Knows" which I regard as one of the most perfectly crafted masterpieces in the history of rock & pop, nothing much else on there really grabs me. But I'm going to give it another go for sure.
I guess that 'Pet Sounds' just has a certain kind of mood that you either get, or don't get. Probably a matter of taste. And then again, you should give it another chance because I do think it's an album that just needs a while to sink in. I also wasn't impressed the first few times I heard it. But once the quarter dropped, it became my favorite album of all time and now I can easily listen to it several times in a row without getting bored of it.

In the mid 70s I had an unusual compilation album of theirs called "Spirit Of America" and I absolutely loved it. It had a mixture of interesting tracks, many of them very, very good (I became obsessed with the brilliant "Break Away") but included a pretty awful rendition of The Beatles' song "Tell Me Why".
That is indeed a strange album. It was released as the "volume 2" to the 'Endless Summer' double LP, which compiled their best songs from 1961-1965. So 'Spirit of America' is basically no. 21 to 43 of the band's top 43 of their first four years (plus 'Break Away', which is from 1969).
'Tell Me Why' is indeed pretty bad, but that one's from the 'Party!' album, which was a live-in-the-studio acoustic cover album that was only made to bridge the gap between 'Summer Days' and 'Pet Sounds'.

I've just heard a couple of hits from 20/20 ("I Can Hear Music" and "Do It Again"), they certainly sound different. Soon or later I will hear those records.
'20/20' is comparable to the full length version of 'Magical Mystery Tour'. It's a very mixed bag, a mixture of new material and recent non-album singles (like 'I Can Hear Music' and 'Do It Again').

If you want to check out some highlights from the post-'Pet Sounds' era, look for these songs on YouTube or somewhere else:

From 'Friends':
Friends Most brilliant albums have a few specific songs that make it stand out. 'Friends' doesn't. It has an overall warm, rich, soft and gentle mood that makes it stand out. The title track might be the best example of this mood, so if you do have to appoint a standout track, this one's probably it. If the early Beach Boys albums represented a hot summer day that you spend with hot girls on the beach, cruisin' down the boulevard and surfing the waves, than 'Friends' represents a hot summer that you spend lying in your back yard with a cool drink, without a care in the world. Both can be equally pleasant and satisfying, just in an entirely different way.
Wake The World A simple song that carries on in the same mood as the previous one. 'Wake the World' makes simply waking up and going to sleep each day sound like something magical.
Be Here In The Morning Although this song is a strange mix of quasi-Hawaiian sections, castrato vocals and wobbly vocal effects, it still keeps the mood of the previous two songs.

From '20/20':
Time To Get Alone Originally given away to Redwood (a band that would later become famous as Three Dog Night), but The Beach Boys took it back when they heard how great it was. Definately one of their most atmospheric and magical songs.
Our Prayer No words and no music, just oh's, ah's and mmm's. Probably the best example of how brilliant The Beach Boys were vocally. Originally recorded as the intro for the 'Smile' album.
Cabinessence One of the highlights of the abandonned 'Smile' album, finally released on this album.

From 'Sunflower':
This Whole World Anyone who thinks that Brian Wilson "lost it" after the 'Smile' debacle should just listen to this. It has so much chord and key changes that purely theoretically it's a big mess, and yet it works perfectly. Probably one of their richest songs.
All I Wanna Do Very mystical, and probably the most moving lead vocal Mike Love ever recorded.
Forever I always saw this as Dennis Wilson's response to his brother Brian's 'God Only Knows'.

From 'Surf's Up':
Long Promised Road Carl Wilson's first major composition, and probably his best.
Surf's Up Another recycled 'Smile' track. Without a doubt my favorite Beach Boys song after 'God Only Knows'.

From 'Carl & The Passions - So Tough':
All This Is That A very gentle, slightly mystical song that might take a while to sink in, but it's absolutely beautiful.
Cuddle Up If there's a heaven, this should be the "theme song" playing at the gates.

From 'Holland':
Sail On, Sailor Some people say that The Beach Boys couldn't rock, and that they were the whitest sounding group ever. They should listen to this.
California Saga/Big Sur Mike Love was never a great songwriter, but he did write one great song: this one. A beautiful tribute to one of California's most beautiful places.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 10:50:04 PM by Joost »
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #301 on: May 10, 2011, 01:11:44 AM »

Responses to comments in the "Groups you're glad with just a greatest hits collection" topic...
I guess that 'Pet Sounds' just has a certain kind of mood that you either get, or don't get. Probably a matter of taste. And then again, you should give it another chance because I do think it's an album that just needs a while to sink in. I also wasn't impressed the first few times I heard it. But once the quarter dropped, it became my favorite album of all time and now I can easily listen to it several times in a row without getting bored of it.

It took me a time to dig Pet Sounds as well. Actually it took me several years. I've listened to it for first time about 10 years ago, and only listened to it again a couple of times until last year, when I started to see how wonderful it is. It wasn't like other albums like Forever Changes and Odessey And Oracle that got an almost instant love from me, but now I love Pet Sounds as well.

'20/20' is comparable to the full length version of 'Magical Mystery Tour'. It's a very mixed bag, a mixture of new material and recent non-album singles (like 'I Can Hear Music' and 'Do It Again').

If you want to check out some highlights from the post-'Pet Sounds' era, look for these songs on YouTube or somewhere else:

From 'Friends':
Friends Most brilliant albums have a few specific songs that make it stand out. 'Friends' doesn't. It has an overall warm, rich, soft and gentle mood that makes it stand out. The title track might be the best example of this mood, so if you do have to appoint a standout track, this one's probably it. If the early Beach Boys albums represented a hot summer day that you spend with hot girls on the beach, cruisin' down the boulevard and surfing the waves, than 'Friends' represents a hot summer that you spend lying in your back yard with a cool drink, without a care in the world. Both can be equally pleasant and satisfying, just in an entirely different way.
Wake The World A simple song that carries on in the same mood as the previous one. 'Wake the World' makes simply waking up and going to sleep each day sound like something magical.
Be Here In The Morning Although this song is a strange mix of quasi-Hawaiian sections, castrato vocals and wobbly vocal effects, it still keeps the mood of the previous two songs.

From '20/20':
Time To Get Alone Originally given away to Redwood (a band that would later become famous as Three Dog Night), but The Beach Boys took it back when they heard how great it was. Definately one of their most atmospheric and magical songs.
Our Prayer No words and no music, just oh's, ah's and mmm's. Probably the best example of how brilliant The Beach Boys were vocally. Originally recorded as the intro for the 'Smile' album.
Cabinessence One of the highlights of the abandonned 'Smile' album, finally released on this album.

From 'Sunflower':
This Whole World Anyone who thinks that Brian Wilson "lost it" after the 'Smile' debacle should just listen to this. It has so much chord and key changes that purely theoretically it's a big mess, and yet it works perfectly. Probably one of their richest songs.
All I Wanna Do Very mystical, and probably the most moving lead vocal Mike Love ever recorded.
Forever I always saw this as Dennis Wilson's response to his brother Brian's 'God Only Knows'.

From 'Surf's Up':
Long Promised Road Carl Wilson's first major composition, and probably his best.
Surf's Up Another recycled 'Smile' track. Without a doubt my favorite Beach Boys song after 'God Only Knows'.

From 'Carl & The Passions - So Tough':
All This Is That A very gentle, slightly mystical song that might take a while to sink in, but it's absolutely beautiful.
Cuddle Up If there's a heaven, this should be the "theme song" playing at the gates.

From 'Holland':
Sail On, Sailor Some people say that The Beach Boys couldn't rock, and that they were the whitest sounding group ever. They should listen to this.
California Saga/Big Sur Mike Love was never a great songwriter, but he did write one great song: this one. A beautiful tribute to one of California's most beautiful places.

I'll give those songs a listen. Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 01:18:51 AM by Hombre_de_ningun_lugar »
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #302 on: May 10, 2011, 01:35:33 AM »

I guess you know this Beach Boys-like song by Sagittarius, produced by Gary Usher who wrote some lyrics for early Brian Wilson's songs.

Sagittarius - My World Fell Down

"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

KelMar

« Reply #303 on: May 10, 2011, 04:28:59 AM »

That's just how I feel about it Joost. I kind of lurked here at first, reading old threads that interested me and I came across a discussion on Pet Sounds. I decided to give it a try and it and like you said it had to sink in. It took me about 2 times through then I couldn't wait to get home from work to listen to it. :) It's definitely a favorite now. I give you the credit for that.  ;)

« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 04:33:07 AM by In My Life »

dcowboys107

• A Beginning
  • Surf's Up
« Reply #304 on: May 10, 2011, 06:23:41 AM »

Pet Sounds takes more than one listen that is for sure. I remember downloading it for 5 bucks off itunes about two and a half years ago.  I had heard only a few songs before but listenen to the whole thing. Nothing really stuck with me the first time (I was 17).  I had promised to meet a friend for a movie, so I made a copy, and listened to it an a cold December night. No one on the road for the 15 minute drive up to the theater. 

Once it got to "You Still Believe in Me" (the stereo "velvet green" version which is the best), the outro send chills down my whole body. Little by little each songs hits a spot with you. At first listen only two songs might strike your fancy but after the 5th or 6th the ones you thought you didn't like actually are awesome like "I Know. . ."

Anyways, Joots. I have the Pet Sounds on LP, one from 1966 and one a repress.  The "You Still. . ." are different however. On the original I don't hear the double on the lead but on the represss it's very obvious.  Am I just hearing wrong?  The 1966 sounds very similar to the stereo just Brian singing version.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #305 on: May 10, 2011, 10:28:28 AM »

I guess you know this Beach Boys-like song by Sagittarius, produced by Gary Usher who wrote some lyrics for early Brian Wilson's songs.

Sagittarius - My World Fell Down

Yeah, that's a great song. Beach Boy Bruce Johnston sings on it, most notably on the first "My world fell down" line on every chorus.

Anyways, Joots. I have the Pet Sounds on LP, one from 1966 and one a repress.  The "You Still. . ." are different however. On the original I don't hear the double on the lead but on the represss it's very obvious.  Am I just hearing wrong?  The 1966 sounds very similar to the stereo just Brian singing version.

I don't know, I never noticed that, but it could be true. Some remixed/remastered 'Pet Sounds' songs are not exactly the same as the originals for some technical reasons. The most obvious difference is the "Maybe if we think and hope and pray..." section on 'Wouldn't It Be Nice'. Mike originally sings that, but when the song was remixed for the 'Made in USA' compilation in the mid-80s, that vocal was apparantely not on the multitrack tapes. So they used Brian's guide vocal instead.

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
  • The Rock n' Roll Warrior
« Reply #306 on: July 31, 2011, 02:27:02 AM »

Yeah, that's a great song. Beach Boy Bruce Johnston sings on it, most notably on the first "My world fell down" line on every chorus.
I don't know, I never noticed that, but it could be true. Some remixed/remastered 'Pet Sounds' songs are not exactly the same as the originals for some technical reasons. The most obvious difference is the "Maybe if we think and hope and pray..." section on 'Wouldn't It Be Nice'. Mike originally sings that, but when the song was remixed for the 'Made in USA' compilation in the mid-80s, that vocal was apparantely not on the multitrack tapes. So they used Brian's guide vocal instead.

How's it going "Joost?" I hope all is well with you. I understand that you know people from The Beach Boys camp. So do I! The Beach Boys and I have a little history together. When I introduced myself on the Introduction thread, I stated that I knew and partied with famous Rock stars. The Beach Boys were one of them. Through Ed Roach, I met Denny (Dennis Wilson) at a party on my 20th "B" day which was on 7 April 1981. I partied with Denny the last two years of his life. I met author Jon Stebbins (The Real Beach Boy, Dennis Wilson) and he is supposed to put some of my many "Denny" stories in his next edition. As for Brian, I still keep in touch with Brian to this very day. I have also met Billy Hinsche and have spoken with him through the years up to now. I would like to converse with you about The Beach Boys sometime especially about the SMiLE sessions. I own so many SMiLE bootlegs that its not even funny. What do you think about Capitol Records FINALLY releasing the SMiLE sessions in a Boxset in December 2011? I can't wait.

As for the Pet Sounds album , have you ever heard both the DCC Compact Classics 24 KT. Gold CD (GZS-1035) 1993 release version as well as the Audio Fidelity 24 KT. Gold CD (AFZ 031) 2009 release version? In my opinion, the Audio Fidelity release sounds so much better than the DCC Compact Classics release especially since the Audio Fidelity release is HDCD encoded. Steve Hoffman mastered both releases but he really did a great job with the newer Audio Fidelity release. Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab (MFSL) is FINALLY going to release the Pet Sounds album SOON in the 24 KT. Gold CD ULTRADISC UHR series using the Gain 2 technology process. I can't wait till the MFSL release arrives, I've already pre-ordered it. I hope to talk with you soon, take care.         

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #307 on: July 31, 2011, 09:46:36 AM »

Hi BeatlesForever,

Always good to meet other Beach Boys fans here. :)

No, I don't know anyone from the Beach Boys camp. I'm just a fan, I got all my information from books, websites and forums. But it's really cool that you('ve) know(n) Dennis and Brian! It's funny that one of your stories will be in Jon Stebbins' book, my name will be in there too. Jon found some lists that I'd made and asked my permission to use them in his book, with a "courtesy of..." credit.

About the SMiLE box set: I'm obviously very much looking forward to hearing all those fresh new mixes and unreleased takes and all that. But the most important thing to me is that there's finally going to be an official SMiLE by The Beach Boys. It's been one of the best albums ever made for the past 45 years and yet it officially doesn't even excist. I'm glad that's finally going to change. (BTW: where did you get the December 2011 release date from? Last thing I read was that it will be out on October 4)

Can't give you an opinion about the different Pet Sounds versions, I'm not an "audiophile" at all.

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #308 on: July 31, 2011, 11:26:21 AM »

How's it going Joost? I read on one of the many SMiLE release websites that December 2011 would be the release date seeing that the original SMiLE album was supposed to be released in December 1966, then the release date was moved up to January 1967 and so on. I will confess, I love the 4 October 2011 release date better. I understand that Brian has really been working hard in trying to find suitable tracks for the boxset, I'm just glad that the SMiLE sessions is finally going to be released. We'll just have to wait and see.

As for my opinion of the Pet Sounds albums with Audiophile sound quality, the DCC Compact Classics 1993 release version had lots of distortion and the high treble sounds are weak. You could not raise the volume to higher decibals without hearing more distortion.

Steve Hoffman fixed that in the Audio Fidelity 2009 release version. The distortion is gone and you can raise the volume to higher decibals and hear beautiful crisp high trebles with powerful pounding bass sounds.

Both Pet Sounds albums were prepared with the unequalized full-track Monophonic master mixes.

I understand that MFSL will use the best Stereophonic mix source for their upcoming release. In my opinion and I'm really going out on a limb here, the MFSL release will be the best overall sound quality ever! I have been a MFSL fan since the 1970's and I truly believe in MFSL.

I also have the Pet Sounds album in the DVD Audio Advanced Resolution format (72434-77937-9-0) and it sounds fantastic. I'm listening to the DVD Audio version of Pet Sounds as we speak. The DVD Audio version will play different ways: Advanced Resolution Surround, Advanced Resolution Stereo, Advanced Resolution Mono, DTS 5.1 Surround Sound and DVD-Video Compatible Dolby Digital 5.1. All I will say is this format gave the Pet Sounds album a whole new life of its own. Pet Sounds NEVER sounded better. The sound clarity is unsurpassed with crisp clear high trebles (No Hisses) with powerful bass. There is NO distortions at all in the DVD-Audio release. MFSL has a little competition here but I feel confident that MFSL will top this one. Take care.               
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 01:42:56 PM by BeatlesForever »

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #309 on: July 31, 2011, 05:43:49 PM »

I understand that Brian has really been working hard in trying to find suitable tracks for the boxset               

It is my understanding that Mark Linett (engineer) and Alan Boyd (archivist) have done all the research and that Brian's role was basically limited to just giving his approval.

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
« Reply #310 on: July 31, 2011, 06:15:39 PM »

I started to listen to "Pet Sounds" about a month ago and I've loved it since. I have a few questions about some songs here :

Is Brian singing lead on all of the "I'm Waiting For The Day"? The voice(s) seem so different, the "I came along..." verse sounds to me a bit different from the "I kissed your lips". The whole song is sung by Brian or is there another Beach Boy singing lead?

Is Brian the one who sings in high voice "without you" at the end of "God Only Knows" ? Also, God Only Knows seems to be the most appreciated song here, is there any particular reason why Brian let Carl Wilson sing the lead?

And my last question, what Beach Boys album should I listen to next?
http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #311 on: July 31, 2011, 06:37:43 PM »

It is my understanding that Mark Linett (engineer) and Alan Boyd (archivist) have done all the research and that Brian's role was basically limited to just giving his approval.

How's it going Joost, my fellow Beach Boys fan? You are right, Mark Linett and Alan Boyd have played a vital role in the SMiLE project but Brian's input turned out to be much more than he expected. As you well know, Brian and Darian Sahanaja went through the original SMiLE tapes for Brian's solo 2004 SMiLE release. Brian was pretty familiar with the SMiLE master tapes and decided to assist both Linett and Boyd. Brian is really getting more involved with the project as he should be which will give SMiLE fans more to look forward to. Take care.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 06:52:13 PM by BeatlesForever »

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #312 on: July 31, 2011, 06:51:20 PM »

I started to listen to "Pet Sounds" about a month ago and I've loved it since. I have a few questions about some songs here :

Is Brian singing lead on all of the "I'm Waiting For The Day"? The voice(s) seem so different, the "I came along..." verse sounds to me a bit different from the "I kissed your lips". The whole song is sung by Brian or is there another Beach Boy singing lead?

Is Brian the one who sings in high voice "without you" at the end of "God Only Knows" ? Also, God Only Knows seems to be the most appreciated song here, is there any particular reason why Brian let Carl Wilson sing the lead?

And my last question, what Beach Boys album should I listen to next?

How's it going "The 5th Beatle?" I hope all is well with you. You have great taste in albums, Pet Sounds is one of the Top 10 all-time greatest albums ever. I feel confident that Joost could answer your questions here but I'll help him out on this one. The answer to your first two questions is yes! As for your last question, "what Beach Boys album should I listen to next?" That's a hard one. In my opinion, it would be Friends, 20/20 or Sunflower. Sunflower has always been one of my personal favorites, The Beach Boys have always called the Sunflower album their "Sgt. Pepper" album. I hope that this helps you. Take care.

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
« Reply #313 on: July 31, 2011, 07:28:58 PM »

How's it going "The 5th Beatle?" I hope all is well with you. You have great taste in albums, Pet Sounds is one of the Top 10 all-time greatest albums ever. I feel confident that Joost could answer your questions here but I'll help him out on this one. The answer to your first two questions is yes! As for your last question, "what Beach Boys album should I listen to next?" That's a hard one. In my opinion, it would be Friends, 20/20 or Sunflower. Sunflower has always been one of my personal favorites, The Beach Boys have always called the Sunflower album their "Sgt. Pepper" album. I hope that this helps you. Take care.

Thanks very much for the answers. I love "Pet Sounds".I think Brian said that if you want to get and to like Pet Sounds you have to listen to it in a dark room with headphones on (correct me if I'm wrong). About a month ago, I couldn't sleep one night at all, so I took my mp3 player and I just listened to album after album. I was staying in bed, just listening to the songs and really seeking them. It was about 5 a.m. when I decided I should give "Pet Sounds" a listen to see if I can "get it". I also had a bit of a background, I have heard both "God Only Knows" and "Wouldn't It Be Nice" before. It was an amazing experience. While the album was playing, the night turned into day, and I remember me watching the sunrise on the window while listening to "I'm Waiting For The Day". It was the best thing that happened to me this summer by far. Of course after that, I listened to the album about 4 times that day. I'm willing to explore the Beach Boys world more, and I've decided to go with "Sunflower". Thanks again for the replay.  :)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 07:44:29 PM by The 5th Beatle »
http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #314 on: July 31, 2011, 08:02:18 PM »

In addition to BeatlesForever's answers:

Apparently, Brian didn't just sing all the leads on 'I'm Waiting For The Day', but all the backing vocals as well.

The final section of 'God Only Knows' is sung by Brian (2x) and Bruce. Carl doesn't sing on that section, he'd already gone home.

My choice for the album to listen to next: I agree that 'Sunflower' is the best one, and that 'Friends' and '20/20' are really good too. 'The Beach Boys Today!' is also an interesting one as it is the "missing link" between early Beach Boys and 'Pet Sounds'. Side A (uptempo songs) of that LP lifts the early BB sound to a higher level, side B (mostly ballads) already sounds pretty similar to 'Pet Sounds'.

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #315 on: July 31, 2011, 08:21:01 PM »

Thanks very much for the answers. I love "Pet Sounds".I think Brian said that if you want to get and to like Pet Sounds you have to listen to it in a dark room with headphones on (correct me if I'm wrong). About a month ago, I couldn't sleep one night at all, so I took my mp3 player and I just listened to album after album. I was staying in bed, just listening to the songs and really seeking them. It was about 5 a.m. when I decided I should give "Pet Sounds" a listen to see if I can "get it". I also had a bit of a background, I have heard both "God Only Knows" and "Wouldn't It Be Nice" before. It was an amazing experience. While the album was playing, the night turned into day, and I remember me watching the sunrise on the window while listening to "I'm Waiting For The Day". It was the best thing that happened to me this summer by far. Of course after that, I listened to the album about 4 times that day. I'm willing to explore the Beach Boys world more, and I've decided to go with "Sunflower". Thanks again for the replay.  :)

Hello again "The 5th Beatle?" Brian did mention about listening to Pet Sounds in a dark room with headphones on. He also loved to put his face in from of either the right or left speaker in order to feel the music. Placing his face in front of either the right or left speaker due to being deaf in one ear, is one of the main reasons why he recorded The Beach Boys music in Mono. Doing this, he could hear the same sounds from both speakers. Prior to Brain taking over the reins in the studio, other producers (Other than Brian's father Murry) recorded some of the earlier Beach Boys songs in Stereo.

As for choosing the Sunflower album as your next choice, I feel confident that you will enjoy the album. Enjoy and take care.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 08:28:32 PM by BeatlesForever »

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #316 on: July 31, 2011, 08:22:20 PM »

In addition to BeatlesForever's answers:

Apparently, Brian didn't just sing all the leads on 'I'm Waiting For The Day', but all the backing vocals as well.

The final section of 'God Only Knows' is sung by Brian (2x) and Bruce. Carl doesn't sing on that section, he'd already gone home.

My choice for the album to listen to next: I agree that 'Sunflower' is the best one, and that 'Friends' and '20/20' are really good too. 'The Beach Boys Today!' is also an interesting one as it is the "missing link" between early Beach Boys and 'Pet Sounds'. Side A (uptempo songs) of that LP lifts the early BB sound to a higher level, side B (mostly ballads) already sounds pretty similar to 'Pet Sounds'.

Thanks Joost, I couldn't have said it better myself. Take care.

Bobber

« Reply #317 on: August 01, 2011, 08:45:18 AM »

As The Beatles were changing their musical directions right after Beatlemania (1964), I think their fanbase changed somewhat. Did The Beach Boys encounter a same experience?

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #318 on: August 01, 2011, 12:04:58 PM »

As The Beatles were changing their musical directions right after Beatlemania (1964), I think their fanbase changed somewhat. Did The Beach Boys encounter a same experience?

How's it going Bobber? I hope all is well with you. In my opinion, each time The Beatles changed their musical direction, their fanbase grew more as years wore on. The Beatles were leading the way in changing music forever and other bands were following them and changing with the times. However, it was John's 1966 "we are more popular than Jesus" quote (Which is fact) that changed their fanbase just a little but not for long. Another was when Magical Mystery Tour was released for British television in black and white in 1967. When Brian died, The Beatles were lost with no direction. The Beatles were not businessmen or managers, they were musicians. When Magical Mystery Tour was shown on British television in black and white in 1967, the music critics HATED it! When the BBC showed Magical Mystery Tour again one week later, this time in color, it was too late. The damage was done. However, the Magical Mystery Tour album made up for it, its a great album. In my opinion, showing the film in black and white did not help, there were so many beautiful images in the film that it deserved to or should have been showed in color rather than in black and white. I have to admit, the plot was kind of weak but the music video scenes made up for it. I read later that when film maker Steven Spielberg was lecturing and teaching what great film making is in college, he would use the Magical Mystery Tour film as a great tool for great film making. Isn't that interesting?       

As for The Beach Boys, they encountered the same experience but in a different way. When Brian had a nervous breakdown in 1964 and was later replaced by Glen Campbell to tour with The Beach Boys, their fanbase changed somewhat but not by much. When Pet Sounds was released in 1966, it would generate a different fanbase seeing that Brian was trying to deviate from the original "Beach Boys surf sound formula" in order to be more competitive with The Beatles. What REALLY changed The Beach Boys' fanbase forever was when Brian cancelled the much anticipated SMiLE album in 1967. The world was hearing so much about the SMiLE album before it was even released. When Brian cancelled the SMiLE album as well as The Beach Boys' appearance at the Monterey Pop Festival in 1967, their chances of being recognized as a real legitimate Rock band (And not a surf band) as well as their fanbase suffered. You can almost say that their popularity changed overnight. The fact of Brian being a genius was starting to change for the worse. Bruce Johnston would be quoted as saying that The Beach Boys will forever be known as "surfin' Doris Day's!" I have heard many people refer The Beach Boys as an oldies band rather than a classic Rock band like The Beatles. That is so sad. I hope that this helps, I feel confident that Joost can add more. Take care.               
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 03:11:35 PM by BeatlesForever »

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #319 on: August 01, 2011, 07:16:30 PM »

My view:

I think that around 1967 their fanbase pretty much vanished rather than changed (only in the US though, in Europe their popularity remained fairly constant until will into the 70s). 'Friends' (1968) and 'Sunflower' (1970) are now universally regarded as two of the band's best albums, but at the time they didn't even come close to the Billboard Album Top 100. Almost all their late 60s and early 70s singles missed the charts. And the band played concerts for as little as 300 people. The Beach Boys were still playing Fun Fun Fun and Little Deuce Coupe in their identical striped shirts when Hendrix, the Death and Dylan were already at their top, so despite Pet Sounds and Good Vibrations the Beach Boys were quickly regarded as irrelevant has-beens. That didn't really change until the first wave of early 60s nostalgia in the mid 70s.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 42

Page created in 1.198 seconds with 79 queries.