Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 42

Author Topic: The Beach Boys  (Read 155317 times)

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
  • The Rock n' Roll Warrior
Re: The Beach Boys
« Reply #440 on: September 27, 2011, 03:08:26 AM »

1964: The Beach Boys made their TV debut on 'The Ed Sullivan Show' on US TV where they performed 'I Get Around' and 'Wendy'.

I'm surprised they weren't asked to change "made it with another guy" to something more benign.  ;)

Beach Boys Wendy

Great video In My Life! If my memory serves me right, THE BEACH BOYS were also on the same bill with THE BEATLES while they (THE BEATLES) were performing their first gig ever at the Washington D.C. Coliseum in Washington, D.C. on 11 February 1964. I have a great bootleg of that show with excellent picture and sound quality. Take care.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #441 on: September 27, 2011, 11:51:37 AM »

Great video In My Life! If my memory serves me right, THE BEACH BOYS were also on the same bill with THE BEATLES while they (THE BEATLES) were performing their first gig ever at the Washington D.C. Coliseum in Washington, D.C. on 11 February 1964. I have a great bootleg of that show with excellent picture and sound quality. Take care.

There is an official, authorized DVD release of this Beach Boys gig, it's called 'The Lost Concert'.

By the way, the Beach Boys were not on the bill at the Washington DC gig. In 1964, a 90 minutes concert film featuring The Beatles, The Beach Boys and Lesley Gore was shown in theaters across the US, but while The Beatles gig was indeed filmed in Washington, the Beach Boys gig was filmed on March 14, 1964 at the NBC Studios in Burbank, CA.

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #442 on: September 27, 2011, 09:48:45 PM »

There is an official, authorized DVD release of this Beach Boys gig, it's called 'The Lost Concert'.

By the way, the Beach Boys were not on the bill at the Washington DC gig. In 1964, a 90 minutes concert film featuring The Beatles, The Beach Boys and Lesley Gore was shown in theaters across the US, but while The Beatles gig was indeed filmed in Washington, the Beach Boys gig was filmed on March 14, 1964 at the NBC Studios in Burbank, CA.

That's right Joost, you're right! My wrong! It was shown across the theaters on close circuit. I don't know why I thought that THE BEACH BOYS were performing on 11 February 1964 with THE BEATLES. Take care Joost. 

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #443 on: September 28, 2011, 12:17:19 AM »

Hi Joost! I tell ya, your knowledge on THE BEACH BOYS keeps me on my toes.  ha2ha Now I know where I thought that THE BEACH BOYS were on the same bill with THE BEATLES. I have an old VHS bootleg of THE BEATLES Washington D.C. show on 11 February 1964. This film version was absolutely awful. However, there is a film ad, on this VHS version only, that states: "also appearing THE BEACH BOYS." Thats where I got it from and I should have remembered that both bands did not appear together at the Washington D.C. Coliseum.

I do have "The Lost Concert" on DVD, the outstanding crisp clear audio and video quality of that show is exactly what THE BEATLES' Washington D.C. concert, 11 February 1964 bootleg DVD looks like. Its the best quality that I have ever seen of this show. THE BEATLES Anthology showed some of the crisp clear video with excellent picture and sound quality from the 11 February 1964 show. Now the whole show is shown in its entirety on THE BEATLES website. Since this show is not available on DVD yet, there's crisp clear video bootleg DVD's that look and sound GREAT! Its amazing Joost how far technology has come. Take care.       

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #444 on: October 08, 2011, 08:14:26 AM »

Regarding the question about Wendy: did some research and the conclusion is... Drum roll... Nobody seems to know.  ;D ;sorry

I got a new Beach Boys book yesterday, 'The Beach Boys FAQ' (in which my name is mentioned twice, BTW...  8) ). And it turns out there was a Wendy. She was called Wendy Vines and was one of Dennis's girlfriends, and the teenage daughter of his landlord. When her dad found out he was furious, but somehow Dennis managed to calm him down. Interestingly, Wendy left Dennis for another guy, but he and her dad became regular fishing buddies!

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #445 on: October 08, 2011, 11:09:23 AM »

I got a new Beach Boys book yesterday, 'The Beach Boys FAQ' (in which my name is mentioned twice, BTW...  8) ). And it turns out there was a Wendy. She was called Wendy Vines and was one of Dennis's girlfriends, and the teenage daughter of his landlord. When her dad found out he was furious, but somehow Dennis managed to calm him down. Interestingly, Wendy left Dennis for another guy, but he and her dad became regular fishing buddies!

Hi Joost, my fellow BEACH BOYS fanatic! WOW, that's one fact that Brian (He didn't remember) nor I even remembered. What book was this written in? Happy "B" Day Joost and take care. 
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 12:08:37 PM by BeatlesForever »

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #446 on: October 08, 2011, 01:45:58 PM »

'The Beach Boys FAQ' by Jon Stebbins (who also wrote 'The Real Beach Boy' about Dennis and 'The Lost Beach Boy' about David Marks). It came out last month.

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #447 on: October 08, 2011, 02:16:51 PM »

'The Beach Boys FAQ' by Jon Stebbins (who also wrote 'The Real Beach Boy' about Dennis and 'The Lost Beach Boy' about David Marks). It came out last month.

Hi Joost! Ah, this is a new book! I was thinking to myself, I own over a dozen BEACH BOYS books and have never read anywhere that there was a real "Wendy." I read about Jon Stebbins writing a new book but I didn't know when it was coming out. I just bought the book and am looking forward to reading it. Thanks for the info Joost and take care.     
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 02:36:07 PM by BeatlesForever »

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #448 on: October 08, 2011, 04:57:13 PM »

Hi Joost! Ah, this is a new book! I was thinking to myself, I own over a dozen BEACH BOYS books and have never read anywhere that there was a real "Wendy." I read about Jon Stebbins writing a new book but I didn't know when it was coming out. I just bought the book and am looking forward to reading it. Thanks for the info Joost and take care.   

Especially check out the last chapter of the book. It's compiled by yours truly. :)

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #449 on: October 08, 2011, 05:20:07 PM »

Especially check out the last chapter of the book. It's compiled by yours truly. :)

Now I'm really looking forward to reading it. I should be getting my book next week from Amazon. I just got off the phone with Billy Hinsche, I will be visiting him at his home in Vegas next month for business reasons. I asked him if he knew anything about who "Wendy" was but he didn't know. I'm kind of curious as to how Jon Stebbins found out about Wendy Vines. Take care Joost.

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
« Reply #450 on: October 15, 2011, 01:17:52 PM »

Any thoughts on their 1977 album "Love You"? I've read a bit about it, and apparently it was entirely written and produced by Brian Wilson.I've also read a few reviews and most of them were positive. I haven't listen to it yet, but I'm planning on doing it soon. Is it good?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 01:19:42 PM by The 5th Beatle »
http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #451 on: October 15, 2011, 01:55:47 PM »

Any thoughts on their 1977 album "Love You"? I've read a bit about it, and apparently it was entirely written and produced by Brian Wilson.I've also read a few reviews and most of them were positive. I haven't listen to it yet, but I'm planning on doing it soon. Is it good?

Hi 5th Beatle! How are you? The "Love You" album, along with "15 Big Ones," were released during the so called "Brian Is Back" campaign. In reality, it wasn't true. Brian was still fighting his demons as well as Mike Love. It is true that Brian wrote and produced the "Love You" album but Brian was not healthy during this period. Believe it or not, this was the band's attempt (They finally came to their senses) in trying to get Brian back in the studio producing. You might still be able to buy the "Love You" and "15 Big Ones" albums on one CD. In my opinion, the "Love you" album is not a bad album, but its not the band's greatest album either. The tracks on the "Love You" album are as follows:

(1.) Let Us Go On This Way
(2.) Roller Skating Child
(3.) Mona
(4.) Johnny Carson
(5.) Good Time
(6.) Honkin' Down The Highway
(7.) Ding Dang
(8.) Solar System
(9.) The Night Was So Young
(10.) I'll Bet He's Nice
(11.) Let's Put Our Hearts Together
(12.) I Wanna Pick You Up
(13.) Airplane
(14.) Love Is A Woman

In my opinion, the best songs on the "Love You" album are "Mona" and "Honkin' Down The Highway." I feel confident that Joost can add more to my post, take care 5th Beatle.   
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 02:05:50 PM by BeatlesForever »

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #452 on: October 15, 2011, 03:13:27 PM »

'Love You' is weird, don't expect it to sound like any other Beach Boys album. The lyrics are strange and childlike (at times even childish) and the music was almost entirely performed by Brian. And since Brian isn't really a multi-instrumentalist, that means it's thick layers of keyboards, rudimentary drums and not much else. This is not one of my favorite Beach Boys albums, but it's certainly interesting and still better than any Beach Boys album that came after.

'The Night Was So Young' is the absolutele highlight of the album if you ask me. Absolutely beautiful. 'Let Us Go On This Way' is pretty great too. Songs like 'Johnny Carson', 'Ding Dang' and 'Solar System' are very silly, I guess it depends on your sense of humor if you will love or hate them.

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #453 on: October 15, 2011, 03:25:42 PM »

'Love You' is weird, don't expect it to sound like any other Beach Boys album. The lyrics are strange and childlike (at times even childish) and the music was almost entirely performed by Brian. And since Brian isn't really a multi-instrumentalist, that means it's thick layers of keyboards, rudimentary drums and not much else. This is not one of my favorite Beach Boys albums, but it's certainly interesting and still better than any Beach Boys album that came after.

'The Night Was So Young' is the absolutele highlight of the album if you ask me. Absolutely beautiful. 'Let Us Go On This Way' is pretty great too. Songs like 'Johnny Carson', 'Ding Dang' and 'Solar System' are very silly, I guess it depends on your sense of humor if you will love or hate them.

Hi Joost! How are you? I can't disagree with you on this one, "Love You" is a weird album indeed! Despite the ADULT CHILD album remaining unreleased (It was to be released before the "Love You" album), I'm very surprised that "It's Over Now" and "Still I Dream Of It" were never included on the "Love You" album. In my opinion, both of these songs would have improved the weird "Love You" album. What do you think Joost?   
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 03:30:03 PM by BeatlesForever »

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #454 on: October 15, 2011, 05:30:14 PM »

I think that 'Still I Dream of It' is certainly better than most songs on 'Love You', but I guess that an orchestrated song like that would have been out of place on the album.

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #455 on: October 15, 2011, 06:02:06 PM »

I think that 'Still I Dream of It' is certainly better than most songs on 'Love You', but I guess that an orchestrated song like that would have been out of place on the album.

That's true! I was just listening to the "Love You" album, I can't get into it at all. 

KeepUnderCover

• A Beginning
  • Across The Universe
« Reply #456 on: October 15, 2011, 06:17:56 PM »

I have the Love You album, but haven't listened to it yet.

I, however, absolutely love the 15 Big Ones album! I would highly recommend that one.

Live dates

Ringo Starr, Columbus OH, Feb 22, 1999
Julian Lennon, Cincinnati OH, July 21, 1999
Paul McCartney, Cincinnati OH, Aug 4th, 2011

~The Beatles Forever~

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #457 on: October 15, 2011, 06:36:40 PM »

I, however, absolutely love the 15 Big Ones album! I would highly recommend that one.

To each his own, but that's easily one of my least favorite Beach Boys albums. For several reasons. The ugly sound which is dominated by thick, primitive synthesizers. Some of the worst vocals Brian ever recorded. Lots of uninspired cover songs. Some of the very worst originals the group ever recorded ('TM Song', 'Everyone's in Love with You'). And the fact that this albums marked the end of The Beach Boys as a progressive creative force. 'It's OK', 'Had to Phone Ya' and 'That Same Song' are good songs, but that's pretty much it. I personally would recommend anyone who's not a completist to just check out these three songs and leave the rest alone. But that's just my opinion.

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #458 on: October 15, 2011, 07:32:59 PM »

To each his own, but that's easily one of my least favorite Beach Boys albums. For several reasons. The ugly sound which is dominated by thick, primitive synthesizers. Some of the worst vocals Brian ever recorded. Lots of uninspired cover songs. Some of the very worst originals the group ever recorded ('TM Song', 'Everyone's in Love with You'). And the fact that this albums marked the end of The Beach Boys as a progressive creative force. 'It's OK', 'Had to Phone Ya' and 'That Same Song' are good songs, but that's pretty much it. I personally would recommend anyone who's not a completist to just check out these three songs and leave the rest alone. But that's just my opinion.

"Susie Cincinnati" is not a bad song but they should have used the original LANDLOCKED version from 1970-71. The LANDLOCKED version rocked! In my opinion, 15 BIG ONES and LOVE YOU could have been one album together since the music style is exactly the same. THE BEACH BOYS' surf sound in the late 1970's (Not the early 1970's) didn't rock like the 1960's.   

KeepUnderCover

• A Beginning
  • Across The Universe
« Reply #459 on: October 15, 2011, 08:30:23 PM »

Keep in mind that, while I have all of the Beach Boys albums on my iTunes, I haven't listened to all of them, or even most of them. I just started getting into them a few months ago, and went on a buying craze!

My favorite Beach Boys album is definitely Pet Sounds. Could listen to that album over and over again, and never get tired of it.

Live dates

Ringo Starr, Columbus OH, Feb 22, 1999
Julian Lennon, Cincinnati OH, July 21, 1999
Paul McCartney, Cincinnati OH, Aug 4th, 2011

~The Beatles Forever~
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 42

Page created in 1.545 seconds with 72 queries.