Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 42

Author Topic: The Beach Boys  (Read 155235 times)

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
  • The Rock n' Roll Warrior
Re: The Beach Boys
« Reply #500 on: October 28, 2011, 06:22:23 PM »

I listened to it again last night, this time on my stereo system with headphones.  What Mike Love actually says at 1:36 is "Paul is dead."

ha2ha So that's how the "Paul Is Dead" rumors started!

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #501 on: October 28, 2011, 06:24:54 PM »

At a press conference in 2009, Mike Love apologized to the public, the press and Paul for that remark...

ha2ha   

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #502 on: October 28, 2011, 09:48:57 PM »

Hi Hello Goodbye! I can tell that you were really into skateboarding in 1964, I was only 3 years old!  ha2ha

Yeah, BF, I was.  But I didn't get a real skateboard until Back To The Future came out.  I ran out and bought a Valterra Splatter and slapped a few stickers on it to make it look like Marty's...

Back to the Future - The Power of Love
I can stay till it's time to go

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #503 on: October 28, 2011, 09:52:39 PM »

Yeah, BF, I was.  But I didn't get a real skateboard until Back To The Future came out.  I ran out and bought a Valterra Splatter and slapped a few stickers on it to make it look like Marty's...

Back to the Future - The Power of Love

I can't tell the difference at all Hello Goodbye! They look like the same exact skateboard.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #504 on: October 28, 2011, 09:59:24 PM »

The one Michael J. Fox used in the movie had upgraded trucks and wheels.  I took off the rails and front and rear guards like the movie version.

You can see how often I fell.   ;D

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #505 on: October 28, 2011, 10:02:57 PM »

The one Michael J. Fox used in the movie had upgraded trucks and wheels.  I took off the rails and front and rear guards like the movie version.

You can see how often I fell.   ;D

As the saying goes, the more you fall, the better you get.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #506 on: October 28, 2011, 10:04:14 PM »

As the saying goes, the more you fall, the better you get.

Right.  As Jan and Dean said: "Don't be afraid to try the newest sport around (bust your buns, bust your buns now)..."

;)

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #507 on: October 28, 2011, 10:10:25 PM »

Right.  As Jan and Dean said: "Don't be afraid to try the newest sport around (bust your buns, bust your buns now)..."

;)

ha2ha Ain't that the truth! I also like the song "Dead Mans Curve" as well as all of the JAN AND DEAN music catalog. R.I.P. Jan Berry, Born 3 April 1941, Died 26 March 2004 at age 62.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #508 on: October 28, 2011, 10:18:50 PM »

Dead Man's Curve proved very prophetic, I'm afraid.

But on a much lighter note, The Beach Boys and Jan And Dean both performed...

Little Old Lady From Pasadena - Jan & Dean

Beach Boys - (It's The) Little Old Lady From Pasadena

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #509 on: October 28, 2011, 10:25:49 PM »

Dead Man's Curve proved very prophetic, I'm afraid.

But on a much lighter note, The Beach Boys and Jan And Dean both performed...

Little Old Lady From Pasadena - Jan & Dean

Beach Boys - (It's The) Little Old Lady From Pasadena

Yes it did indeed! I love both versions! I wonder how it would have been had JAN AND DEAN recorded an album with THE BEACH BOYS!

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #510 on: October 28, 2011, 10:35:40 PM »

Jan And Dean with instrumental and vocal help by The Beach Boys...

Surfin' - Jan & Dean (with the Beach Boys)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #511 on: October 28, 2011, 10:45:14 PM »

I know Joost can elaborate on their collaboration.

Joost?

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #512 on: October 28, 2011, 11:18:21 PM »

The Beach Boys played the music and sang backing vocals on Jan & Dean's cover versions of Surfin', Surfin' Safari and Little Deuce Coupe. Brian sang backing vocals on Surf City, Drag City, Dead Man's Curve (the album version, not the hit single version), Ride the Wild Surf, Gonna Hustle You and Vegetables.

Interesting story about Surf City... When Jan & Dean first heard Brian play Surfin' USA, they asked if they could have it. Brian wanted to save it for The Beach Boys, but he didn't want to be unkind and gave them Surf City instead. It went to #1. Murry Wilson was furious at Brian for giving his first #1 composition away.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #513 on: October 28, 2011, 11:22:43 PM »

I got Brian's new album 'In the Key of Disney' today. Pretty cool album, better than I expected. The arrangements are really good and classy, and the amazing thing is that at almost 70 years old, Brian's voice sounds better than it has in over 35 years.

My 'Smile' box set should arrive tomorrow. Needless to say I'm VERY excited about that.

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #514 on: October 29, 2011, 10:25:14 AM »

The Beach Boys played the music and sang backing vocals on Jan & Dean's cover versions of Surfin', Surfin' Safari and Little Deuce Coupe. Brian sang backing vocals on Surf City, Drag City, Dead Man's Curve (the album version, not the hit single version), Ride the Wild Surf, Gonna Hustle You and Vegetables.

Interesting story about Surf City... When Jan & Dean first heard Brian play Surfin' USA, they asked if they could have it. Brian wanted to save it for The Beach Boys, but he didn't want to be unkind and gave them Surf City instead. It went to #1. Murry Wilson was furious at Brian for giving his first #1 composition away.

Hi Joost! I did not know (Or remember) that THE BEACH BOYS played the music or sang background backing vocals on JAN AND DEAN'S cover versions of "Surfin'," "Surfin' Safari" and "Little Deuce Coupe," I didn't think that Murry would be that kind and let THE BEACH BOYS help another group.

I do remember Brian giving "Surf City" to JAN AND DEAN which would result in the song becoming a huge Number 1 hit for them which would anger Murry and Nik Venet. Thanks for the info Joost and take care.     

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #515 on: October 29, 2011, 10:27:15 AM »

I got Brian's new album 'In the Key of Disney' today. Pretty cool album, better than I expected. The arrangements are really good and classy, and the amazing thing is that at almost 70 years old, Brian's voice sounds better than it has in over 35 years.

My 'Smile' box set should arrive tomorrow. Needless to say I'm VERY excited about that.

Like I always said Joost, Brian's best is yet to come.

You'll be getting your SMiLE boxset before I will, I want to hear details. Take care.

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #516 on: October 29, 2011, 03:53:51 PM »

Maybe this subject has come up earlier in this thread but in the 1960's, there was an East coast band that called themselves FRANKIE VALLI & THE FOUR SEASONS. This band was supposedly the East Coast's answer to the West Coast's BEACH BOYS. There was even a little rivalry between the two bands for a moment as to which band sounded better as well as who had the best Falsetto vocal between Frankie Valli and Brian Wilson. In my opinion, THE BEACH BOYS sounded better and Brian Wilson had the better smooth soothing Falsetto vocal over Frankie Valli. What do all of you think? Take care.     

KelMar

« Reply #517 on: October 29, 2011, 05:29:40 PM »

In my opinion, THE BEACH BOYS sounded better and Brian Wilson had the better smooth soothing Falsetto vocal over Frankie Valli. What do all of you think? Take care.     
Yeah, Brian's always sounded more natural. Frankie Valli's sounded strained in comparison.

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #518 on: October 29, 2011, 05:53:38 PM »

Yeah, Brian's always sounded more natural. Frankie Valli's sounded strained in comparison.

You're right In My Life, Franki Valli does strain during his high Falsetto vocal ranges. Brian's Falsetto is smooth and natural.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #519 on: October 29, 2011, 06:12:03 PM »

Maybe this subject has come up earlier in this thread but in the 1960's, there was an East coast band that called themselves FRANKIE VALLI & THE FOUR SEASONS. This band was supposedly the East Coast's answer to the West Coast's BEACH BOYS. There was even a little rivalry between the two bands for a moment as to which band sounded better as well as who had the best Falsetto vocal between Frankie Valli and Brian Wilson. In my opinion, THE BEACH BOYS sounded better and Brian Wilson had the better smooth soothing Falsetto vocal over Frankie Valli. What do all of you think? Take care.     

I like The Four Seasons a lot, but The Beach Boys vs The Four Seasons is no contest for the simple reason that The Four Seasons never really progressed. They had cool pop songs but never managed to take it a step further, like The Beach Boys or The Beatles did.

The Beach Boys and The Four Seasons (or really just Frankie Valli, I believe) recorded a song together in the 80s, and I think it's one of the better songs that The Beach Boys did in that decade. It's called 'East Meets West', but I haven't been able to find it on YouTube.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 42

Page created in 1.565 seconds with 74 queries.