Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 42

Author Topic: The Beach Boys  (Read 155233 times)

Joost

• That Means a Lot
Re: The Beach Boys
« Reply #520 on: October 29, 2011, 06:13:19 PM »

You're right In My Life, Franki Valli does strain during his high Falsetto vocal ranges.
I like that though. It does give his voice character and texture, so to say. It's a voice that you'll recognize out of a million.

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
  • The Rock n' Roll Warrior
« Reply #521 on: October 29, 2011, 06:16:39 PM »

I like The Four Seasons a lot, but The Beach Boys vs The Four Seasons is no contest for the simple reason that The Four Seasons never really progressed. They had cool pop songs but never managed to take it a step further, like The Beach Boys or The Beatles did.

The Beach Boys and The Four Seasons (or really just Frankie Valli, I believe) recorded a song together in the 80s, and I think it's one of the better songs that The Beach Boys did in that decade. It's called 'East Meets West', but I haven't been able to find it on YouTube.

Who has the better Falsetto vocal, Frankie Valli or Brian Wilson? I know who you're going to choose!  ha2ha

I haven't been able to find that song on Youtube either.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #522 on: October 29, 2011, 06:21:33 PM »

Like I always said Joost, Brian's best is yet to come.

You'll be getting your SMiLE boxset before I will, I want to hear details. Take care.

I got it today and I felt like a little kid on Christmas Day when I opened it. The box is impressive even before you open it. It's pretty big, surprisingly heavy and the 3D cover looks great. After opening the box I didn't know what I wanted to do first: listen to the "completed" 'Smile' on CD or on vinyl, listen to 'Surf's Up' on 45 rpm, listen to the 'Our Prayer' sessions...

The completed 'Smile' is great. Nice and clear mixes which make you feel like you never want to hear those muddy bootlegs again. Some songs have vocals flown in from demo recordings which sometimes sounds a bit unnatural, but I don't really mind. The "new" version of 'Surf's Up' in excellent. Brian sings the first verse now instead of Carl, but Carl vocals (with a nice somewhat ghostly sound effect) were used to fill up the missing lines, which I think sounds great.

A full disc of 'Heroes and Villains' experiments and a full disc of 'Good Vibrations' variations is a little bit more than I personally can bear, but it's cool to have these discs too for their historical value.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 06:24:13 PM by Joost »

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #523 on: October 29, 2011, 06:22:31 PM »

Who has the better Falsetto vocal, Frankie Valli or Brian Wilson? I know who you're going to choose!  ha2ha
I don't think I have to answer that question, right? ;)

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #524 on: October 29, 2011, 06:24:46 PM »

I don't think I have to answer that question, right? ;)

Hands down, we both choose Brian Wilson!

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #525 on: October 30, 2011, 02:00:58 AM »

I got it today and I felt like a little kid on Christmas Day when I opened it. The box is impressive even before you open it. It's pretty big, surprisingly heavy and the 3D cover looks great. After opening the box I didn't know what I wanted to do first: listen to the "completed" 'Smile' on CD or on vinyl, listen to 'Surf's Up' on 45 rpm, listen to the 'Our Prayer' sessions...

The completed 'Smile' is great. Nice and clear mixes which make you feel like you never want to hear those muddy bootlegs again. Some songs have vocals flown in from demo recordings which sometimes sounds a bit unnatural, but I don't really mind. The "new" version of 'Surf's Up' in excellent. Brian sings the first verse now instead of Carl, but Carl vocals (with a nice somewhat ghostly sound effect) were used to fill up the missing lines, which I think sounds great.

A full disc of 'Heroes and Villains' experiments and a full disc of 'Good Vibrations' variations is a little bit more than I personally can bear, but it's cool to have these discs too for their historical value.

Hi Joost! How did I miss this?  ha2ha Thanks for the info, I can't wait to get mine! Upon listening to the complete SMiLE boxset, I will be able to compare all of the songs from the boxset to all of the tracks from all of the SMiLE bootlegs that I own.

Have fun on your date. Take care.

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #526 on: October 30, 2011, 10:49:34 PM »

Here's one of Denny's biggest moments with THE BEACH BOYS! Enjoy!

"Slip on through" The Beach Boys

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
« Reply #527 on: October 31, 2011, 07:18:46 PM »

If you want to check out some highlights from the post-'Pet Sounds' era, look for these songs on YouTube or somewhere else:

From 'Friends':
Friends Most brilliant albums have a few specific songs that make it stand out. 'Friends' doesn't. It has an overall warm, rich, soft and gentle mood that makes it stand out. The title track might be the best example of this mood, so if you do have to appoint a standout track, this one's probably it. If the early Beach Boys albums represented a hot summer day that you spend with hot girls on the beach, cruisin' down the boulevard and surfing the waves, than 'Friends' represents a hot summer that you spend lying in your back yard with a cool drink, without a care in the world. Both can be equally pleasant and satisfying, just in an entirely different way.
Wake The World A simple song that carries on in the same mood as the previous one. 'Wake the World' makes simply waking up and going to sleep each day sound like something magical.
Be Here In The Morning Although this song is a strange mix of quasi-Hawaiian sections, castrato vocals and wobbly vocal effects, it still keeps the mood of the previous two songs.

From 'Surf's Up':
Long Promised Road Carl Wilson's first major composition, and probably his best.
Surf's Up Another recycled 'Smile' track. Without a doubt my favorite Beach Boys song after 'God Only Knows'.

I've listened to both "Friends" and "Surf's Up" quite a lot lately and I think they are both pretty good. I agree with you about the first one, it's very layed-back and relaxing album.However, I think it has some weak points, too. I don't like "Anna Lee, The Healer" and "Trancedental Meditation" at all. "Wake the World" seems just dull and boring to me. And why was "Meant For You" so short? It seems like a song with lots of potential.I don't know, the album seems to me a bit of hurried and superficial. However, it was a plenty of wonderful songs. My favourites are "Be Here In The Morning", Brian's "When A Man Needs a Woman" and "Busy Doin' Nothin" and Dennis' "Little Bird".

I like "Surf's Up" as an album more. But I was a little dissapointed when I checked out the album's tracks and I saw that there were no Dennis Wilson tracks there. Carl's "Long Promised Road" is one of my favourite Beach Boys songs right now, and "Feel Flows" is pretty good too. Brian's "Surf's Up" and "Till I Die" are hands down, two of THE best songs ever written, while his other song called "A Day In The Life of a Tree" is weird, but quite interesting and I like it. "Disney Girls" and "Don't Go Near The Water" are good songs, too. Al Jardine's compositions and Mike's one seem to be the album's weakest points, but I don't think they are that bad. I can certainly tolerate all 3. I think it's a different album from their previous "Sunflower", more dark and weird and not as happy, it somehow reminds me of the "Rubber Soul-Revolver" transition.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 07:21:50 PM by The 5th Beatle »
http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #528 on: October 31, 2011, 07:56:13 PM »

I don't know, the album seems to me a bit of hurried and superficial.
Maybe, but I don't mind. It's an unambitious album that doesn't try too hard (in that sense it's the exact opposite of 'Smile'), but that's what makes it so cool and relaxed. I think it's one of the most pleasant albums I've ever heard.

But I was a little dissapointed when I checked out the album's tracks and I saw that there were no Dennis Wilson tracks there.
The Dennis Wilson songs '4th Of July' and '(Wouldn't It Be Nice To) Live Again' were recorded for this album, but Dennis withdrew them after an argument with Carl. Dennis also released a solo single ('Sound of Free' b/w 'Lady') a few months before this album came out.

while his other song called "A Day In The Life of a Tree" is weird, but quite interesting and I like it.
That one's sung by Jack Rieley, their manager at the time. He had no singing experience, but apparently Brian thought that he was the one who sounded most like a dying tree. :)

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #529 on: October 31, 2011, 08:10:05 PM »

That one's sung by Jack Rieley, their manager at the time. He had no singing experience, but apparently Brian thought that he was the one who sounded most like a dying tree. :)

ha2ha
All this time I kept on wondering why did they let the manager to sing, when the answer was so obvious. ha2ha
Thanks, I had a good laugh.

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #530 on: November 01, 2011, 09:24:23 PM »

ha2ha
All this time I kept on wondering why did they let the manager to sing, when the answer was so obvious. ha2ha
Thanks, I had a good laugh.

ha2ha Jack Rieley was probably the only sober one there at the time.

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #531 on: November 01, 2011, 09:45:18 PM »

Hi Joost! I never thought in my wildest dreams that I would be holding a RELEASED copy of SMiLE. AT LAST, AFTER ALL OF THESE DECADES, IT'S FINALLY HERE! I received my SMiLE Boxset today, all I can say upon opening the package and the enclosed contents is WOW! I LOVE the front cover of the box, it really looks incredible! I also love the enclosed 60 page book, the liner notes, the essays, sessionography, original artwork, the 24" X 36" poster, the two 180 Gram Vinyl/LP's  and the two 7" singles. This is one hell of a collection! Most importantly, I am real impressed with the overall sound quality, it sounds the way SMiLE was truly intended to be heard. I have not heard all of the boxset yet, I have only heard CD 1 so far. Upon hearing CD 1, it sounds more like a finished SMiLE album than the bootleg SMiLE albums. I am looking forward to hearing the whole boxset and give my true opinions and views as to what I think of the new SMiLE boxset and how it can be compared to the bootleg SMiLE albums as far as track selection goes. I will be stressing my views and opinions this weekend since there is so much material to listen to. Take care Joost.     

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #532 on: November 03, 2011, 01:39:56 PM »

Joost, can you help me a little here? Is this the "Surf's Up" version from the new-released "SMiLE" or not?

http://picosong.com/TVb/

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #533 on: November 03, 2011, 07:10:16 PM »

Joost, can you help me a little here? Is this the "Surf's Up" version from the new-released "SMiLE" or not?

http://picosong.com/TVb/

Yes, it is.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #534 on: November 03, 2011, 07:30:12 PM »

BeatlesForever, what do you think of the new versions of 'I'm in Great Shape' and 'Barnyard', with the vocals from the "Humble Harv" demo flown in? At first hearing I though it was kind of cool, but after having heard the album about a dozen times now I think they're a bit of a stain on the album. Brian was such a perfectionist while he was working on 'Smile', every single note had to sound and feel absolutely perfect. I think it completely goes against his original vision that they used such raw live vocals on the album. I think it would have been better if they had just left these songs instrumental.

And what do you think of the new version of 'Surf's Up'? I think the 1971 version is just perfect and can't really be improved, but for historical reasons I understand why they replaced Carl's 1971 vocal with a 1967 vocal by Brian. I think I like this version just as much. The ghostly "Bygone, bygone" and "Canvas the town and brush the backdrop" parts by Carl are a nice touch (and of course an essential one, since Brian simply didn't record these lines in 1967).

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #535 on: November 03, 2011, 09:06:17 PM »

BeatlesForever, what do you think of the new versions of 'I'm in Great Shape' and 'Barnyard', with the vocals from the "Humble Harv" demo flown in? At first hearing I though it was kind of cool, but after having heard the album about a dozen times now I think they're a bit of a stain on the album. Brian was such a perfectionist while he was working on 'Smile', every single note had to sound and feel absolutely perfect. I think it completely goes against his original vision that they used such raw live vocals on the album. I think it would have been better if they had just left these songs instrumental.

And what do you think of the new version of 'Surf's Up'? I think the 1971 version is just perfect and can't really be improved, but for historical reasons I understand why they replaced Carl's 1971 vocal with a 1967 vocal by Brian. I think I like this version just as much. The ghostly "Bygone, bygone" and "Canvas the town and brush the backdrop" parts by Carl are a nice touch (and of course an essential one, since Brian simply didn't record these lines in 1967).

Hi Joost! How are you? Here's where all of my SMiLE bootlegs come in handy. In my opinion, many different takes were spliced together in order to construct a more "nearly completed" SMiLE album. I also believe that "I'm In Great Shape" and "Barnyard" were never completed in its entirety seeing that they were originally to be used as part of another song or section that was never completed. On two of my SMiLE bootlegs, there are some takes containing vocals only for "Barnyard." I do agree with you Joost, "Barnyard" should have been left as an instrumental only. Overall, I'm just thankful that we have SMiLE to listen to and appreciate.   

WOW, I love the new version of "Surf's Up!" No disrespect to the late great Carl Wilson but "Surf's Up" sounds better with Brian's falsetto. That's the way it was meant to be. Carl should have never replaced Brian's falsetto with his own for the 1971 version. I do love the 1971 version very much but Brian's smooth falsetto gives "Surf's Up" the life that is needed to make the song.

What do you think of "Child Is Father Of The Man?" The take containing Brian's beginning "Child" falsetto vocal was spiced together with the rest of the song. I love the harmonies duing the chorus, it does give the song a new life. On my SMiLE bootlegs, I do have some takes containing just the instrumental music only without the harmonies.

I LOVE "Wind Chimes" and "The Elements: Fire (Mrs. O'Leary's Cow)," they sound so much better in the new SMiLE boxset. "Fire" sounds so much better now than it ever did on the SMiLE bootlegs. You can really hear all of the sounds better now than the hidden sounds in the SMiLE bootlegs. Take care Joost.     
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 09:10:18 PM by BeatlesForever »

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #536 on: November 03, 2011, 09:11:39 PM »

I'm listening right now to the whole album. In case you haven't already seen this :

The Beach Boys SMiLE Sessions - Heroes and Villains Music Video

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #537 on: November 03, 2011, 09:20:26 PM »

I'm listening right now to the whole album. In case you haven't already seen this :

The Beach Boys SMiLE Sessions - Heroes and Villains Music Video

Hi 5th Beatle! Thanks for posting this video, I LOVE IT! This video can actually be added to THE BEATLES Yellow Submarine cartoon. Take care.

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #538 on: November 16, 2011, 06:01:48 PM »

I just watched "Dennis Wilson : The Real Beach Boy". Great documentary, though it got very very sad near the end...

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #539 on: November 16, 2011, 06:07:02 PM »

I just watched "Dennis Wilson : The Real Beach Boy". Great documentary, though it got very very sad near the end...

Hi 5th Beatle! How are you? Thank you for your input, I am looking forward to seeing this documentary soon. Take care. 
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 42

Page created in 1.69 seconds with 73 queries.