Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 42

Author Topic: The Beach Boys  (Read 155255 times)

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
Re: The Beach Boys
« Reply #540 on: November 16, 2011, 06:13:06 PM »

Hi 5th Beatle! How are you? Thank you for your input, I am looking forward to seeing this documentary soon. Take care.

Doing fine, thanks for asking. It's a worth watching documentary though I was expecting more interviews and more input from actual Beach Boys members about Dennis. However, one thing that I did liked very much was one of those guys (can't remember exactly who) saying that when Dennis sang the words from his songs, you actually believed them (or him). It is so true, that one, espacially in "Forever".

You take care, too.
http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
  • The Rock n' Roll Warrior
« Reply #541 on: November 16, 2011, 06:46:41 PM »

Doing fine, thanks for asking. It's a worth watching documentary though I was expecting more interviews and more input from actual Beach Boys members about Dennis. However, one thing that I did liked very much was one of those guys (can't remember exactly who) saying that when Dennis sang the words from his songs, you actually believed them (or him). It is so true, that one, espacially in "Forever".

You take care, too.

As I have mentioned here on THE BEACH BOYS' thread, I knew and partied with Denny the last two years of his life. For myself personally, it was an honor and a priviledge knowing him. I was so lucky that I met him when I did, Denny may have had his moments like we all do, but he really had a heart of gold. Denny gave away money like he was giving out candy on Halloween. He would give money to his family, friends and complete strangers such as I when I met him in 1981 and never asked for it back. Denny moved one way, full speed ahead, he never knew how to slow down. Thinking about it now, Denny was never meant to grow old, not at the rate he was living. When Denny sang, he sang with feeling and emotion. I used to love hearing him sing by himself when he was playing the piano. Take care.

Strawberry Field

• A Beginning
  • Reality leaves a lot to the imagination.
« Reply #542 on: November 16, 2011, 07:32:00 PM »

The Beach Boys. My #1 favorite band of all time.
Pet Sounds. My #1 favorite album of all time
'Wouldn't It Be Nice'. My #1 favorite song in the entire universe. ('Strawberry Fields Forever' is just #3.)

I really got into them when I was 19 (back in '99) when I discovered Pet Sounds.
For me, Brian Wilson is the epitome of heart and genius in pop music. (Well, and John. :) )

I really dunno what else to say...except that Brian Wilson is my God, Pet Sounds my Bible, 'Wouldn't It Be Nice' my favorite verse, and I guess John Lennon is Jesus.  roll:)

Most people I think would find it hard to believe that someone would love the Beach Boys more than the Beatles (ranked 2nd on my list) but their music is just pure, emotional joy for me. I was a big time, gung-ho music fan before Pet Sounds and the Beach Boys. After, I became what I am now: a Music Geek. I cannot (or don't want to) live without it.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #543 on: November 16, 2011, 08:33:44 PM »

Most people I think would find it hard to believe that someone would love the Beach Boys more than the Beatles (ranked 2nd on my list) but their music is just pure, emotional joy for me.

Not that hard to believe. :) A few occasions where The Beatles were beaten by The Beach Boys:

New Music Express (NME) end of year readers poll for band of the year: The Beach Boys #1
Best selling single of the year in The Netherlands in 1966: Sloop John B #1
Most perfect pop song ever made, survey under 85 famous Dutch pop musicians by Aloha magazine: God Only Knows #1
All time best single, survey under artists, producers and music industry figures by Mojo magazine: Good Vibrations #1
All time best album, survey under Mojo magazine writers & staff: Pet Sounds #1
All time best album, survey under NME magazine writers: Pet Sounds #1
All time best album, The Times survey: Pet Sounds #1

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #544 on: November 16, 2011, 08:53:28 PM »

The Beach Boys. My #1 favorite band of all time.
Pet Sounds. My #1 favorite album of all time
'Wouldn't It Be Nice'. My #1 favorite song in the entire universe. ('Strawberry Fields Forever' is just #3.)

I really got into them when I was 19 (back in '99) when I discovered Pet Sounds.
For me, Brian Wilson is the epitome of heart and genius in pop music. (Well, and John. :) )

I really dunno what else to say...except that Brian Wilson is my God, Pet Sounds my Bible, 'Wouldn't It Be Nice' my favorite verse, and I guess John Lennon is Jesus.  roll:)

Most people I think would find it hard to believe that someone would love the Beach Boys more than the Beatles (ranked 2nd on my list) but their music is just pure, emotional joy for me. I was a big time, gung-ho music fan before Pet Sounds and the Beach Boys. After, I became what I am now: a Music Geek. I cannot (or don't want to) live without it.

Hi Strawberry Field! How are you? There's nothing wrong with choosing THE BEACH BOYS over THE BEATLES as your favorite band. I know people that prefer THE BEACH BOYS over THE BEATLES and that's okay, that's what makes the world go round. In 1966, THE BEACH BOYS were the ONLY band that topped THE BEATLES. PET SOUNDS is in my top 5 all-time greatest albums ever! Strawberry Field, what do you think of the newly released SMiLE SESSIONS Boxset? Take care.

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #545 on: November 16, 2011, 08:57:45 PM »

Not that hard to believe. :) A few occasions where The Beatles were beaten by The Beach Boys:

New Music Express (NME) end of year readers poll for band of the year: The Beach Boys #1
Best selling single of the year in The Netherlands in 1966: Sloop John B #1
Most perfect pop song ever made, survey under 85 famous Dutch pop musicians by Aloha magazine: God Only Knows #1
All time best single, survey under artists, producers and music industry figures by Mojo magazine: Good Vibrations #1
All time best album, survey under Mojo magazine writers & staff: Pet Sounds #1
All time best album, survey under NME magazine writers: Pet Sounds #1
All time best album, The Times survey: Pet Sounds #1

Hi Joost, my BEACH BOYS buddy! How's it going in The Netherlands? You know your BEACH BOYS history well Joost! I was wondering, when did you become a devout diehard BEACH BOYS fan? Take care.

Strawberry Field

• A Beginning
« Reply #546 on: November 16, 2011, 09:07:09 PM »

Hi Strawberry Field! How are you? There's nothing wrong with choosing THE BEACH BOYS over THE BEATLES as your favorite band. I know people that prefer THE BEACH BOYS over THE BEATLES and that's okay, that's what makes the world go round. In 1966, THE BEACH BOYS were the ONLY band that topped THE BEATLES. PET SOUNDS is in my top 5 all-time greatest albums ever! Strawberry Field, what do you think of the newly released SMiLE SESSIONS Boxset? Take care.

I don't own the SMiLE box yet, but I have heard all the music from it before, many times. So I know what I'm getting and I'm looking forward to buying it in the future. I still think Pet Sounds is better though.

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #547 on: November 16, 2011, 09:16:19 PM »

I don't own the SMiLE box yet, but I have heard all the music from it before, many times. So I know what I'm getting and I'm looking forward to buying it in the future. I still think Pet Sounds is better though.

That's cool Strawberry Field, I know people that prefer PET SOUNDS over SMiLE. Either way, they're both outstanding albums! As for me personally, I prefer SMiLE over PET SOUNDS but only by a speck of dust. The reason for this is because SMiLE was more artistic and more experimental than PET SOUNDS. Brian really wanted to do better than PET SOUNDS and "Good Vibrations" on a higher musical and technological level, I really believe he succeeded with SMiLE. As Brian has said so many times in 1966, SMiLE was to be a TEENAGE SYMPHONY TO GOD! Take care. 

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #548 on: November 16, 2011, 10:29:40 PM »

Hi Joost, my BEACH BOYS buddy! How's it going in The Netherlands? You know your BEACH BOYS history well Joost! I was wondering, when did you become a devout diehard BEACH BOYS fan? Take care.

In 2004. I was a big Beatles fan and a friend of mine, the drummer of the band I was in at the time, was a big Beach Boys fan. We'd often have discussions about which band was better. I knew most of the big Beach Boys hits and I liked them, but the idea that they were better than The Beatles seemed pretty rediculous to me. 'Fun Fun Fun', 'Surfin' USA' and 'Help Me Rhonda' better than 'Strawberry Fields Forever', 'Penny Lane' and 'I Am The Walrus'? No way! Then my friend said that I should check out 'Pet Sounds' and 'Sunflower', which I did. A few days later I told him he'd been right: The Beach Boys were better. Within a few months I had all their albums on CD and I've been a somewhat obsessed fan ever since.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #549 on: November 16, 2011, 10:34:16 PM »

Oh, and in case it still wasn't obvious that I'm a fan, these are on my arms. :)

The sun from the 'Brian Wilson Presents Smile' album cover and the first notes of 'God Only Knows' (copied from a hand-written note by Brian):

The bee from the 'Wild Honey' album cover:
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 10:36:01 PM by Joost »

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #550 on: November 16, 2011, 11:02:48 PM »

In 2004. I was a big Beatles fan and a friend of mine, the drummer of the band I was in at the time, was a big Beach Boys fan. We'd often have discussions about which band was better. I knew most of the big Beach Boys hits and I liked them, but the idea that they were better than The Beatles seemed pretty rediculous to me. 'Fun Fun Fun', 'Surfin' USA' and 'Help Me Rhonda' better than 'Strawberry Fields Forever', 'Penny Lane' and 'I Am The Walrus'? No way! Then my friend said that I should check out 'Pet Sounds' and 'Sunflower', which I did. A few days later I told him he'd been right: The Beach Boys were better. Within a few months I had all their albums on CD and I've been a somewhat obsessed fan ever since.

WOW, 2004 was the year that Brian's SMiLE was released. Thats a cool story Joost, thanks for sharing it with us. Have you ever read the 2007 book entitled BEACH BOYS VS. BEATLEMANIA: REDISCOVERING SIXTIES MUSIC by G. A. De Forest? If you have, what do you think of this book? This is a very interesting book that you might want to share and discuss with your friend. Take care.   

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #551 on: November 17, 2011, 12:28:50 AM »

Oh, and in case it still wasn't obvious that I'm a fan, these are on my arms. :)

The sun from the 'Brian Wilson Presents Smile' album cover and the first notes of 'God Only Knows' (copied from a hand-written note by Brian):

Cool tattoos Joost!

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #552 on: November 17, 2011, 08:37:21 PM »

I like them a lot, especially the first one.

A question for you Joost and for every Beach Boys fans around : What is your favourite Beach Boy besides Brian? And to which of them can you relate the most?

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #553 on: November 17, 2011, 09:03:29 PM »

A question for you Joost and for every Beach Boys fans around : What is your favourite Beach Boy besides Brian? And to which of them can you relate the most?

Musically Dennis, but Carl as a person.

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #554 on: November 17, 2011, 09:38:09 PM »

I like them a lot, especially the first one.

Hi 5th Beatle! For me personally, its Denny! I can relate to Denny so much, I guess you can say that I'm crazy just like him.  ha2ha Take care.

Strawberry Field

• A Beginning
« Reply #555 on: November 18, 2011, 01:06:10 AM »

Favorite Beach Boy besides Brian? I'd say Carl. I love his voice. He could sing anything and make it beautiful. I love Dennis too, great, underrated songwriter - 'Forever', 'Be With Me', 'Cuddle Up', especially 'Baby Blue', and others, are just wonderful songs.

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #556 on: November 18, 2011, 03:24:41 AM »

Favorite Beach Boy besides Brian? I'd say Carl. I love his voice. He could sing anything and make it beautiful. I love Dennis too, great, underrated songwriter - 'Forever', 'Be With Me', 'Cuddle Up', especially 'Baby Blue', and others, are just wonderful songs.

In my opinion, Carl had one of the most beautifully crafted angelic voices music ever produced.

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #557 on: November 18, 2011, 02:30:40 PM »

In my opinion, Carl had one of the most beautifully crafted angelic voices music ever produced.

Yes and how come he never ever lost it unlike his brothers?

The Beach Boys-God Only Knows at Harbor Lights-Boston 1996

Strawberry Field

• A Beginning
« Reply #558 on: November 18, 2011, 03:09:32 PM »

Less drugs and cigarettes. Plus Dennis never had a sweet, pure voice to begin with. It was always rough. But I liked his voice that way..

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #559 on: November 18, 2011, 03:14:49 PM »

The Beach Boys-God Only Knows at Harbor Lights-Boston 1996

Evidently, Carl took care of his voice more than his Brothers did. There was a reason why Denny lost his voice in the early 1980's, I'll explain it in the next post.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 42

Page created in 1.577 seconds with 73 queries.