Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Saved My Soul - John & Jesus  (Read 1298 times)

real01

• Getting Better
Saved My Soul - John & Jesus
« on: April 29, 2007, 08:46:48 PM »

I found song "(You) Saved My Soul" (also called 'Suicide')on the net.. John on electric guitar, mellancolic. One of his best songs, but I didn't understand what is he singing about. And, finally...:

Excerpted from The Gospel According to the Beatles by Steve Turner, published by Westminster John Knox Press, 2006.
(more excerpts: http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2007/januaryweb-only/001-22.0.html?gclid=CPCP7PPk6IsCFSAUZwodcV5YRQ)

In an unpublished song, "You Saved My Soul," he spoke about "nearly falling" for a TV preacher while feeling "lonely and scared" in a Tokyo hotel. This must have referred to a trip to Japan at the end of May when he stayed at the Okura Hotel for over two months while Yoko visited relatives. Feeling isolated because of the language barrier, he locked himself away in his room for long stretches of time. At night he suffered terrifying nightmares. According to John Green, who makes no mention of the born-again period in his book, John told him, "I'd lie in bed all day [in Tokyo], not talk, not eat, and just withdraw. And a funny thing happened. I began to see all these different parts of me. I felt like a hollow temple filled with many spirits, each one passing through me, each inhabiting me for a little time and then leaving to be replaced by another."

The image was remarkably like one suggested by Jesus and recorded in Luke 11. It's hard to imagine that John was unfamiliar with the passage. Jesus was warning of the danger of merely ridding oneself of evil spirits without taking in the good. He says that an unclean or evil spirit, finding nowhere to rest, will return. "And when he cometh, he findeth it swept and garnished. Then goeth he, and taketh to him seven other spirits more wicked than himself; and they enter in, and dwell there: and the last state of that man is worse than the first."

Whatever happened in Tokyo, it marked the end of his personal interest in Jesus. "You Saved My Soul" said that he "nearly" fell for the TV preacher, but that Yoko "saved me from that suicide." So the salvation of the title refers to being saved from God, not by God. Yoko had again become the captain of his soul, the mistress of his destiny. Yet his life didn't improve. He sank into a depression, concerned that his creativity had deserted him and that he had no real purpose in life. The only real joy he experienced came from spending time with his son, Sean.

Vacationing in Florida in the spring, he again watched Jesus of Nazareth on its by now regular Easter showing, but his reaction was completely different from the one he had had two years before. He kept joking that they should just get on with it and fast-forward to the crucifixion. Seaman, who was present with John's sons, Sean and Julian, recalled, "John began working himself up into a tirade against Christianity, saying that it had virtually destroyed what was left of pagan culture and spirituality in Europe-a great loss to civilization." He then announced that he was now a "born again pagan."

His private feelings about the conversion were expressed in his songwriting. He was particularly incensed by the track "Gotta Serve Somebody" because it opposed his view that there was no single truth. The song said, as bluntly as possible, that whatever your station in life, you were either serving God or the devil. This wasn't an avoidable choice. John wrote a riposte titled "Serve Yourself," arguing that no one can save you. The only person you have to serve is yourself. "He was kind of upset [about Dylan's song] and it was a dialogue," said Yoko in 1998. "He showed his anger but also

Re: Saved My Soul - John & Jesus
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 01:16:15 AM »

Just found this post. By remarkable coincedence I came across that site and the full article whilst looking for stuff on MEF a couple of minuets ago, was going to post the link but...

Alot of percieved wisdom in my view, from the point of the author.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 08:47:11 AM »

Pfff. A paranoid junkie locks himself in a hotel room, doesn't eat or sleep for days, and his subsequent ramblings are reproduced as some kind of insightful philoshy.
don't follow leaders

BlueMeanie

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 09:26:03 AM »

Quote from: 185
Pfff. A paranoid junkie locks himself in a hotel room, doesn't eat or sleep for days, and his subsequent ramblings are reproduced as some kind of insightful philoshy.

Couldn't have put it better myself. Why do people always forget the junkie bit? Oh yeah, because it's God, sorry, John.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 09:53:20 AM »

This is from an earlier thread about John and UFO's. (he was naked on his roof at the time - go figure). Again his stoner-like utterances being morphed into cod-philosophy by people who want, or need, to believe that John had some special insight:
(just for the record, I'm not having a go at John for believing what he does. Better and brighter people than him share it. It's the insistance of others  that he had some kind of great insightful mind that I'm getting at)

"After speaking with May Pang about the UFO sighting with John, reading his extensive notes and studying his drawings, I was left with no doubt that John Lennon would have made one hell of an objective, thoughtful and professional UFO researcher. God knows, we need him now more than ever. May pang played an audio tape for me that John had recorded a few weeks after his experience. On the tape he discusses his thoughts on the UFO subject in general. I took notes and fully agree with his conclusions. In brief, Lennon states that he had no doubt that the craft he saw was from another world and discounted that it could have been a secret government test plane. That argument was stupid in 74 and it
don't follow leaders

BlueMeanie

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2007, 10:48:48 AM »

And they were the only two people in NYC to see it? I seem to remember him saying it passed by so close he could almost touch it. And still none of the neighbors noticed anything. What a great visionary.

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2007, 01:17:37 PM »

I recall reading somewhere that other people saw it the same day, that's what the police said when he rang them up.

Not that it matters one jot though.

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2007, 01:21:18 PM »

and what drugs was he on? ;D :P

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

Page created in 0.44 seconds with 52 queries.