Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Utopian Songs  (Read 1244 times)

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
Utopian Songs
« on: January 19, 2008, 09:08:18 PM »

Two songs ive always had a bit of a problem with are John's  " Imagine " and Paul's  " Ebony And Ivory " .
Both songs are just to utopian for me to fully buy into , yes i want world peace and racial harmony and don't dislike either song or their sentiment and in a perfect world we would all get along .
But ive seen Ethnic Cleansing and a number of horrible wars since both songs were penned and i'm sure i will see more before i die .
I'm i wrong to hold such a cynical view of humanity ? or am i been realistic ? i don't believe  that songs can change the world alone , to me Education is the big tool for change in the world ?
Or do you feel these songs really do change people and in time we will be at one ?

wingsman

• Getting Better
  • There is always a reason to live
Re: Utopian Songs
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 01:01:03 AM »

Yeah, it's kind of depressing when you listen to that kind of songs, and the world keeps destroying itself. I really think 'Imagine' could have changed the mind of many people, but not much politicians, but regular people, as me as you Dave. So, that's it. They ruled the world, the 'power to the people' idea is really utopic. A terrible shame I guess.
I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't eat trash... I work out hard everyday and have a healthy life. And I'm proud of it.

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 09:57:37 AM »

Very depressing wingsman , i often wonder had John lived if he would have revisited Imagine post 9/11 ?

wingsman

• Getting Better
  • There is always a reason to live
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 08:13:52 PM »

Mind Games follows the same line. "Love is the answer... you know it, for sure". The kind of songs he wrote for the Mind Games were really more optimistic. After the Watergate he abandoned the political territory, and I think that was understandable after years and years of write that kind of stuff.

By the way, Mind Games is such a romantic album. It contains some of the best lyrics ever... Phrases like "Today I love you more than yesterday"... or "Wherever you are, you are here..." are simply beautiful. I love the Mind Games album! F**k a pig!  ;D
I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't eat trash... I work out hard everyday and have a healthy life. And I'm proud of it.

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 12:43:14 AM »

Quote from: 713
I love the Mind Games album!

I think it's the most underted album in John's solo back catalouge!, it's
wondeful album with some of his best melodied & lyrics ever i think.
and the john was always great with the simplicity of the lyrics! so direct!,
"Love is the Answer"!  ;)

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 04:48:14 PM »

Quote from: 713
After the Watergate he abandoned the political territory, and I think that was understandable after years and years of write that kind of stuff.

Well, three to be exact. Hardly a lifetime commitment.
Maybe Sometime in NYC flopping had more to do with it than Nixon fibbing.
don't follow leaders

Page created in 0.26 seconds with 52 queries.