Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: The role of each beatle within the band  (Read 5096 times)

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Confusion will be my epitaph"
The role of each beatle within the band
« on: August 30, 2007, 03:29:20 PM »

just wondering what everyone thought each one of the beatles role was within the band beside the obvious like guitarist, bas player, drummer ?

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
Re: The role of each beatle within the band
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 03:45:44 PM »

Up until 1966/67 they did as they were told. After touring and Brian's death Paul became the Ideas Man. Can't think of any  roles (outside of being band members) for the others.
don't follow leaders

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 03:55:14 PM »

Quote from: 758
just wondering what everyone thought each one of the beatles role was within the band beside the obvious like guitarist, bas player, drummer ?

I think they changed over time. IMO:

1) John was the alpha male from 1957 to 1967, then sort of crisped out, with Paul trying to take over then (with less than total acceptance by the other two who didn't really want another alpha male at that point of their lives). But up until then, I think it was John's force of personality and desire that got the Beatles to the toppermost of the poppermost.
2) George started out as the little kid brother hanging around John's and Paul's knees. His superior guitar skills were barely enough to compensate for this and get him in the band. When he developed his harmonizing skills he cemented his importance in the group even more, but was always treated like a little kid by Paul, and to a lesser extent John. He resented this lots more towards the end. Was he the first one to leave the band?
3) Ringo seemed to always have an inferiority complex - couldn't write, couldn't sing much, and the others didn't have any problem leaving it at that. I think that ultimately his drumming was as much, if not more, a part of the Beatle sound early on as anything in the band, but I think the others were not overly generous with making Ringo feel like his contributions were very valuable. I got the feeling watching Ringo and Paul interact during the Larry King interview that he still has some bitterness about all that.
4) I think Paul in the early days helped to act as a filter for John, defusing a lot of potentially incendiary situations. He clearly acknowledged John's role as leader in the early days (1962 hospital radio interview). Later, as John abdicated because of drugs, his own personality and life in general, Paul tried to take over as the leader with less than total success. I don't think I've read much at all about Paul directly confronting any of the others, he'd always seem to defuse, maybe walk away, then come back in at night and do what he wanted to anyway. I do think he was the engine that kept the Beatles as good as they were for the last 2 or 3 years.

My 2 cents (or pence, or Euros, etc.)!
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 05:09:53 PM »

Quote from: 568

1) John was the alpha male from 1957 to 1967, then sort of crisped out,

I don't know how much meaning that had after 62. After Epstein took over he played The Beatle Game like the others. I think his dominance as a personality (but not songwriter) pretty much ended when they signed that bit of paper.
He complains that he wanted Help (the song) to be slower but that "they" wanted it to be commercial and sped it up. (does Macca recount any instances of himself being talked down/ bullied in the studio?) John says he wanted to talk about "real" things at interviews but didn't because he wasn't allowed,didn't want the MBE but took it, didn't like the suits but wore them.....
Or maybe once again John was a bit confused when recounting his past and at the time was happy to play along. Either way it doesn't sound too alpha to me.
don't follow leaders

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 08:01:45 PM »

Quote from: 185

I don't know how much meaning that had after 62. After Epstein took over he played The Beatle Game like the others. I think his dominance as a personality (but not songwriter) pretty much ended when they signed that bit of paper.
He complains that he wanted Help (the song) to be slower but that "they" wanted it to be commercial and sped it up. (does Macca recount any instances of himself being talked down/ bullied in the studio?) John says he wanted to talk about "real" things at interviews but didn't because he wasn't allowed,didn't want the MBE but took it, didn't like the suits but wore them.....
Or maybe once again John was a bit confused when recounting his past and at the time was happy to play along. Either way it doesn't sound too alpha to me.

Good points all.

I think it is a tough thing to separate John's alpha maleness in musical vs non-musical matters. What I mean is, in 1963 and 1964 when he was so clearly "the man" musically (Hard Day's Night, etc.), that itself contributed to his dominance of the group.

Though John would often spout out about how he did or didn't get what he wanted as you describe, I have a harder time seeing Paul doing that. I think even until recently (or later?) he was still sensitive about being compared unfavorably to St. John.

I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Page created in 0.532 seconds with 42 queries.