Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Microscope: Between The Buttons (The Rolling Stones)  (Read 20411 times)

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
Microscope: Between The Buttons (The Rolling Stones)
« on: May 24, 2018, 11:31:38 PM »

This time I will review the American version of Between The Buttons, released by the Stones in February 1967. This album follows the line of Aftermath, deepening on a more pop and less bluesy sound. Thus, the record is quite different from the traditional raw sound of the band, and maybe that's why it's usually ignored by some fans; even Mick Jagger considered it to be not so good. But why don't we judge the album by ourselves?

Let's Spend The Night Together. An important hit and one of the catchiest songs the band ever recorded. Nice piano intro combined with hilarious group vocals. I especially love the slower middle part, where the backing vocals sound quite trippy. The lyrics may be inoffensive nowadays, but its suggestive message was something controversial at the time the song was released.

Yesterday's Papers. This song is a perfect example of the elaborated pop sound the band was producing around the time. The backing vocals are surprisingly effective. Brian Jones plays a vibraphone and Keith Richards adds a distorted guitar. Very good track.

Ruby Tuesday. A famous song and one of my very favorite Stones' recordings. This is a charming ballad that perfectly reflects the spirit of early 1967. The mellow verse is contrasted by the upbeat chorus, and Brian's baroque recorder is a beautiful touch. The lyrics describe the anti-conformist attitude of the character named as the song title. These nasty guys could be sweet when they wanted to.

Connection. Now this sounds like an unimaginative filler. It's jumpy and poppy, with similar condiments as those used in other songs of the album; but it's quite repetitive, with an unvarying drum pattern, and the rhymes sound forced. It's not awful neither special.

She Smiled Sweetly. The nice surprise of the album. This is the kind of song that noone would have expected the Stones to record. It's an intriguing melodic ballad with a mysterious ambient given by an omnipresent organ plus intrusive bass and drums. I love it.

Cool, Calm And Collected. I think this track was clearly influenced by the Kinks. Words and music recall character assassination songs like "Well Respected Man" and "Dedicated Follower Of Fashion". A good exercise, though noone can beat Ray Davies in his own game.

All Sold Out. Fantastic. This is a very entertaining song flavored with distorted guitars and weird drumming. I like Mick's voice here; and the backing vocals show the band's limitations, but they are funny. I always enjoy this track.

My Obsession. This is more of the same, including distorted guitars, unconventional drumming, and impertinent backing vocals; but the result is not so effective this time, probably because the songwriting is uninspired in first place. However, I've read that Brian Wilson appreciates this song, can you believe that?

Who's Been Sleeping Here?. This song is said to be influenced by Bob Dylan, and I can see why. It's a folk rock tune featuring a gentle acoustic guitar and a rustic harmonica, apart from the usual rock & roll instruments. The lyrics are interesting, with the singer trying to guess who has been visiting his wife while he was away, mentioning a wide range of people. Thumbs up.

Complicated. A lesser effort in the context of the album. The harmony vocals seem to be there to remind us that we are not listening to the Beach Boys. Beyond that, it's not a bad song, but it's just a decent filler anyway.

Miss Amanda Jones. A fast rocker, closer to the traditional sound of the band, with a moving guitar riff that is repeated throughout the song. Good.

Something Happened To Me Yesterday. A kind of comedy song that should be taken with humor. The verses are sung by Mick, but curiously Keith sings the lead vocal in the chorus. Brain plays saxophone, trombone, clarinet, and he also whistles. The track (and the album) ends with some spoken words that serve as a goodbye.

The British version of the album does not include the songs "Let's Spend The Night Together" and "Ruby Tuesday", which were released together as a single. However, in UK the album included other two fine songs that were absent in the US version: the acoustic ballad "Back Street Girl" and the acidified rocker "Please Go Home".

Overall, Between The Buttons may not be as strong as Aftermath, but it's still a very good successor. The Stones were still in the shadow of the Beatles at this point; and other bands like the Byrds, the Doors and Jefferson Airplane were reaching higher peaks in early 1967. Nevertheless, lovers of mid-'60s rock music are guaranteed to be satisfied with Between The Buttons, while those who are looking for the Stones' sound from 1968-72 will be disappointed. The band still had to immerse deeply into psychedelia before returning to their blues roots, but that's another story.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 11:58:54 PM by Hombre_de_ningun_lugar »
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
Re: Microscope: Between The Buttons (The Rolling Stones)
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2018, 03:32:25 AM »

Great review Hombre. I’ve liked this album since I was a teenager. I’ve been travelling the last couple of weeks so will get back with with my detailed thoughts.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2018, 08:59:51 PM »

Great review Hombre. I’ve liked this album since I was a teenager. I’ve been travelling the last couple of weeks so will get back with with my detailed thoughts.

Ok Moog, thank you! I'll be waiting for your detailed comments.

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2018, 07:56:54 PM »

Something Happened To Me Yesterday. A kind of comedy song that should be taken with humor. The verses are sung by Mick, but curiously Keith sings the lead vocal in the chorus. Brain plays saxophone, trombone, clarinet, and he also whistles. The track (and the album) ends with some spoken words that serve as a goodbye.

The British version of the album does not include the songs "Let's Spend The Night Together" and "Ruby Tuesday", which were released together as a single. However, in UK the album included other two fine songs that were absent in the US version: the acoustic ballad "Back Street Girl" and the acidified rocker "Please Go Home".

Overall, Between The Buttons may not be as strong as Aftermath, but it's still a very good successor.

The Stones don't do "comedy songs". That's why this one is so bad.

The American album is better than the UK album because it has two great single songs. But this only underlines that the Stones were not able to rivalise with the Beatles at this point in their career.

The thing I really like about this album is the cover photo.

The album itself is a 1,000 light years away from the quality of Aftermath.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 03:30:07 AM »

The Stones don't do "comedy songs". That's why this one is so bad.

The American album is better than the UK album because it has two great single songs. But this only underlines that the Stones were not able to rivalise with the Beatles at this point in their career.

The thing I really like about this album is the cover photo.

The album itself is a 1,000 light years away from the quality of Aftermath.

I used to despise "Something Happened To Me Yesterday" as I did with "You Know My Name", but I've learned to enjoy those songs with time. I just don't expect to listen to a great philosophical theme and I join to the fun. I like when bands don't take themselves so seriously.

I think very few bands were able to rivalise with the Beatles in the mid-'60s. In my opinion, only the Byrds and the Beach Boys were Beatles rivals in terms of quality and innovation at that period. The Stones were followers and not leaders at that point, but I think they were doing pretty good music anyway. In fact, Aftermath and Between The Buttons are the albums I would recommend to a Beatles fan who knows little about the Stones; they are not the best albums of the band, but they certainly are the most beatlesque ones.

I also like the album cover; apparently, the dissolving effect was obtained using vaseline when the photograph was taken.

And I agree that Aftermath is a stronger album, but I don't think that Between The Buttons is much weaker. Apart from "Let's Spend The Night Together" and "Ruby Tuesday", I think that "Yesterday's Papers", "She Smiled Sweetly", "All Sold Out" and "Who's Been Sleeping Here?" are at the level of the best material of Aftermath. But I guess that's just a matter of personal opinion.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 10:27:29 PM »

Whilst I am enjoying the discussion of this poor album :)

I feel I must correct your English spelling of 'rivalise', it is spelt 'rivalize'

'rivalise' is more leaning towards the French spelling.

And yes, I am being pedantic. :)

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/rivalize
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2018, 12:50:06 AM »

Whilst I am enjoying the discussion of this poor album :)

I feel I must correct your English spelling of 'rivalise', it is spelt 'rivalize'

Thanks for the correction! But isn't it a word that is written in different ways in UK and US, like "analyse" and "analyze", for instance? Well, maybe this is not the case.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2018, 10:54:57 AM »

Thanks for the correction! But isn't it a word that is written in different ways in UK and US, like "analyse" and "analyze", for instance? Well, maybe this is not the case.

Possibly, yes.
The Americans have their own way of spelling some English words.

For example I just went on a cruise aboard an American ship called the Carnival Splendor. The correct English spelling is Splendour.
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2018, 08:52:33 PM »

Or to avoid the problem you could just use “rival”.  ;)

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2018, 11:03:15 PM »

You're being so pedantic as to be completely wrong.

1. rivalise is the correct English spelling in England.

2. the verb 'rival' would be adequate in normal English. So you could say "I think very few bands could rival the Beatles in the sixties".

So if you're going to be pedantic, you should at least prove you know what you're saying is correct.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2018, 03:49:55 PM »

I will use the Spanish spelling: "I think very few bands could rivalizar the Beatles in the sixties." ;D

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2018, 10:47:37 PM »

You're being so pedantic as to be completely wrong.

1. rivalise is the correct English spelling in England.

2. the verb 'rival' would be adequate in normal English. So you could say "I think very few bands could rival the Beatles in the sixties".

So if you're going to be pedantic, you should at least prove you know what you're saying is correct.

I will consider myself told off. (it was only meant as a light hearted thing)

But I am right. And so is the Oxford English dictionary.

Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2018, 01:55:37 AM »

I will consider myself told off. (it was only meant as a light hearted thing)

But I am right. And so is the Oxford English dictionary.

That link says "rivalize (also rivalise)". Doesn't it mean that both spellings are acceptable?

KelMar

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2018, 04:30:48 AM »

For example I just went on a cruise aboard an American ship called the Carnival Splendor. The correct English spelling is Splendour.

You were here and you didn’t stop to say hello? Or is that hullo?  ;D

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2018, 11:30:04 AM »

I will use the Spanish spelling: "I think very few bands could rivalizar the Beatles in the sixties." ;D

If you read it Hombre the French spelling is Rivalise

"Early 19th century. From rival + -ize, apparently originally after German rivalisieren, itself after French rivaliser."

Which is what I said in my original post

Oops sorry for messing your thread up Hombre  roll:)

Kevin

All You Need Is Love

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2018, 11:31:48 AM »

You were here and you didn’t stop to say hello? Or is that hullo?  ;D

Its more G'day Kelley  ;D
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2018, 05:38:23 PM »

If you read it Hombre the French spelling is Rivalise

"Early 19th century. From rival + -ize, apparently originally after German rivalisieren, itself after French rivaliser."

No Hombre is right. Your link says Rivalize also rivalise. So both are acceptable.

But your dictionary admits that the German and French words that are at the origin of the word are both spelt with S not Z (rivalisieren and rivaliser).

So it's obvious that the S spelling is more etymologically correct whatever those mixed-up Oxford professors think.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2018, 10:04:28 PM »

No Hombre is right. Your link says Rivalize also rivalise. So both are acceptable.

But your dictionary admits that the German and French words that are at the origin of the word are both spelt with S not Z (rivalisieren and rivaliser).

So it's obvious that the S spelling is more etymologically correct whatever those mixed-up Oxford professors think.

Whatever !

I bow to your superior wisdom.
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2018, 10:50:35 PM »

Whatever !

I bow to your superior wisdom.

Thank you.

In fact, upon further investigation, the London Times newspaper and the renowned weekly publication The Economist both insist that the recommended British spelling in all cases is to use ISE at the end of these kinds of words even where IZE is the preferred spelling in the US.

That's standardisation for you...

KelMar

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2018, 10:05:50 PM »

Its more G'day Kelley  ;D

Crikey! I should have known that, mate!
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 1.346 seconds with 72 queries.