Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: for those of us...  (Read 2346 times)

somedude210

• A Thousand Pages
  • Insanity is just a state of mind
    • Coughlin Computers
for those of us...
« on: January 21, 2006, 06:40:57 PM »

for those of us that discovered John's music after he died, whether you just decided to listen to it or were just born later on, does his music do anything to you, like alter your mood or something. i must admit that i can only listen to his music for and hour or two at a time before i start to actually miss the guy.

i also cant listen to POB with like full listening because then I'd probably start having a tear form in my eyes. i know, i'm such an emotional guy :'( ;D :P
«if asking, begging and pleading doesn't work, always go with a song and dance number.» ;D
In need of a computer? visit Coughlin Computers http://coughlincomputers.tripod.com
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Re: for those of us...
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2006, 09:04:19 PM »

Nothing wrong with that, it's whatever moves you. There have been occasions where I have drown my sorrows and listened to "How?", or shed a few tears for the departed souls listening to Sinatra's wrist-slitting torch songs. It's as though they are singing just for/to you.  John was a brutally honest man, and once he decided that Pop Music could be a vehicle for sentiments deeper than happy cotton-candy 2:24, he took advantage of it. To Wit: "I'm a Loser" in 1964 he began on the more serious reporting of his life. The Pagliacci you know, the clown on the outside that's crying on the inside, and that kind of autobiographical writing hit its apex with the POB album, and it's him stripped naked and nothing was spared. Powerful stuff.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2006, 06:37:34 AM »

I don't get why you'd have to have gotten into his music until after he died to feel that way. It's even more depressing when you have the memory of him being alive and then the memory of his death. It took me a long time before I could really listen to solo Lennon. Beatles Lennon doesn't affect me in the same way for some reason. Maybe because I listened to it more before he died so it doesn't have that same feeling. Except for A Day in the Life which the radio suddenly started playing a lot right after his death. That and Double Fantasy. So those are the hardest to listen to without welling up.

somedude210

• A Thousand Pages
    • Coughlin Computers
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2006, 12:11:48 AM »

hahaha, i change with the tide. sometimes im the deep and heartfelt, and the rest of the time im the smartasstic teenager that i am. and even though my humor can be in poor taste most of the time, its still humor, laugh a little, chuckle, hell a freakin gurggling noise would be better then nothing. if i wanted to be serious then i will be but being serious all the time without any form of humor isnt me and im not gonna stop from the random dirty humor moments. im slowly making it less and less common, but its gonna slip, im a teenager not bound by religion, im gonna do it. its in my nature to. and dont worry, i have not nor will i do it on the bootleg forum, last thing i need is to get you p*ssed off, JF
«if asking, begging and pleading doesn't work, always go with a song and dance number.» ;D
In need of a computer? visit Coughlin Computers http://coughlincomputers.tripod.com

somedude210

• A Thousand Pages
    • Coughlin Computers
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2006, 12:18:51 AM »

if you want to hear me at my deepest and most serious moments, read my lyrics in the "post your own lyrics" thread, or anything political

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2006, 05:02:05 AM »

Do you think you are the only one who can be serious one minute and then goofy the next? Everybody is that way, or at least most. And blaming your idiocy on your youth is a copout. How do you think your 'girlfriend' would feel if she knew that you are posting something personal on a forum? She must be desperate or needy as hell to be with you. She has my sympathies. I was a teenager, I did stupid things, but I knew when to be appropriate, and I doubt that anyone here gives a sh*t if you got laid to U2. You probably lasted as long as it took to press 'play' on your CD player.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2006, 04:16:03 PM »

Um, anyway, regarding the original post...

t's actaully hard to know that you were never around to see his genius unfolding. I was born 10 years after he died, and it makes me really unhappy to think about what he might be doing today.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2006, 04:21:59 PM »

Quote from: Mairi
... and it makes me really unhappy to think about what he might be doing today.

I'm sure that he would be composing good songs ... but more in the Paul's style -but different sound and lyrics, of course- than much people would expected (Double Fantasy was a very familiar album, after all).

Mean_Mr_Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2006, 02:13:03 PM »

Not really, I feel happy that he was able to make the great music he made. And listening to his music and thinking about him gives me renewed hope in humanity.

somedude210

• A Thousand Pages
    • Coughlin Computers
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2006, 09:01:29 PM »

I remember hearing something about Yoko saying that if john was alive today he would be experimenting with all the different music, which begs the question: what would be worse, John's rap or John's emo? I'm going with emo.

but i doubt that wouldve been an issue, his music would still be rock, and still be heartfelt and deep. although his song about Bush would definately been worth a listenin to

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2006, 12:50:18 AM »

I think people who weren't alive when he died probably feel less sad about it. I mean in a different way. The impact and all. I don't know. Just saying.

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2006, 12:58:14 AM »

Yep, no prejuices about his music and all that ... when some people overrated a song or an album because of their sentimental feelings or extra-musical concepts they are not being fair to the music (that thing the rest of us are listenning to, y'know) ... The main example for me is Plastic Ono Band - John Lennon Album ...

BTW, I was alive when he was too ... then he was no longer alive  :'(

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2006, 09:14:12 AM »

To be honest, if John were alive today I think he'd be doing what all ageing rockers (Macca, Clapton, Dylan, Young, Stones),are doing - releasing an album every three years or so, producing one a decade that everyone agrees is "not too bad." He might do the odd tour, but he never seemed comfortable on stage and so I don't know if he would have.
Nothing in his post NYC career suggests to me that John would be any more adept at "experimenting with modern music" than Macca was, and everyone sees that as a disaster.
don't follow leaders

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2006, 01:14:36 PM »

Quote from: kevin_b
...He might do the odd tour, but he never seemed comfortable on stage and so I don't know if he would have.

Mostly agree with all but specially with this part.

He loved discs more than stage ... and I think than even more than composing (he prefered inspiration). I don't agree with him 'cos I prefer composing and discs are at second position. Stage can always wait but not the other two.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2006, 06:04:49 PM »

Quote from: Maccalvr
I think people who weren't alive when he died probably feel less sad about it. I mean in a different way. The impact and all. I don't know. Just saying.

Yes, because you don't know what you're missing... well, sort of, but not really.

I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

somedude210

• A Thousand Pages
    • Coughlin Computers
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2006, 11:02:55 PM »

i dont know, i mean theres just something about his music that makes you long for more, and then it hits you...hes dead. and its just a total mood downer, well that and listening to POB all the way through.

its just one of things that make you strike a chord in you. that such a great mind that could be in this world of turmoil is dead. for some that werent born may not feel this way, others who werent may feel like it. i guess it all depends on how much thought you put into listening to his music

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 67 queries.